Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKosovo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 32>
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosovo
    Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 18:41
Originally posted by HEROI

Temujin.Is not quite the same.

If you today in Germany have a masive imigration of whole populations,and slowly start to develop a mixed language with the new arrivals,and develop a new national identity,it does not mean that Germans are not there anymore in genes.

as i already stated this is not much different from Germany. and what do you mean by "mixed language" clearly Serbian or Serbokroat is perfectly Slavic.

Would you say that Gal (the people first living where is todays france) just simply dissapeared from face of the earth,or other simmilar examples? I dont think so.

why people always assume French must be the descendants of Gauls while Celts originated from Southern Germany? so (southern) Germans are apparently not Gauls? but then, Germans moved in and it became Germany. but wait! Germanic people also moved into France, but, Germany and France is not the same today!?! Confused you call Serbs illyrian-Thraco-Greco-serbs while only fragments of Greeks & Thracians lived on the actual Serbian land? why is no one calling Germany a Celto-Slavic-Romano-Germanic country??? another question, if they were so much Illyrian. why didn't they keep speakign illyrian when Serbs moved in? even Bulgars speak Slavic today, why don't they speak Turkic or Thracian?

I think that in a milenium,the people of the balkans got mixed,with Illyrian language surviving where Albanian are today,And the Greek language in a way.You can tell this by the fact that you wont be able to make a huge dinstiction between peoples of the Balkans.

tell me the difference between a Suaheli and an Ashanti, or a Korean or Vietnamese....
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 18:52
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Huh? So until now you had no idea Thracian tribes lived in Serbia and now you estimate those who lived in the territories of modern Romania, Serbia, Greece and Turkey (not to count each ex-Yugoslav state or separatist region) to ~20%, right?

so? modern Bulgaria was obviously the center of thre Thracian world, like i said before i couldn't care less if a few tribes also happened to dwell in borderign countries, it would have been strange to assume ancient tribes stick to modern boundaries, but what i said still is valid overall.

Though it was said several times maybe it passed unnoticed: Serb ethnicity and culture is much more related to its Balkanic neighbours than to Russia or Poland. In other words except for language, there's little else "Slavic" about the Serbian people.
Like I've said in another thread: this is not really problem of Balkan mentality, it's a worldwide phenomenon. Maybe in some "civilized" countries people learned to care less, but deep inside many still have the same flawed understanding of language, ethnicity, culture, which ultimately divides the world in "us vs them".

who talks about Poland or Russia, i said Slavic, not that Serbia is a central or eastern european country. culture like dress & food is dictated by region, not ethnicity, so i see no point in stressing this or using it as a proof of continuity. Steppe people for example needed to settle down and urbanize in non-steppe regions. the difference however is, as i have already mentioned a couple of times, Serbs do call themselves Serbs and Serbs talk a Slavic language and a Serb can understand more or less Russian but not albanian. and ignoring everything that has been said, the Serbs are newcommers to the area no matter how much they mixed with the locals whatsoever.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 19:12
Temujin, why do you think they are new comers?

Modern Serbs consist of several elements, only one of which is Slavic. Yes, when the Slavs came to the region they were newcomers there. But those Slavs were not Serbs, but just a part of Modern Serbs' ethnic composition. As about other element i.e. Thraco-Illirians they already were there, when Slavs came and by mixing with Slavs thay formed Serbian nation.

Why can't you say that Thraco-Illirians were Serbian ancestors?

Language is indeed very important for the determination of ethnicity, but for sure it's not the only one factor which determines ethnic orignins of a particular people.

As about the culture it's important. Because Serbian culture is not really indigenous Slavic culture which you perhaps can find now only in some parts of Poland and Belorus, but Balkan culture which is a mix of Traco-Illirian-Dacian-Greek traditions.

Σαυρομάτης
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 19:32
what is indegenous slavic culture at all? as we have seen for example Russians mixed with Finnics, Ukrainians are also heavily influenced by others and so on and on. still they are all grouped as slavic people. Austrians, we can say are Germanized Slovenians /excluding Tyrol which is Bavarian. yes Serbia is one of Balcan countries like Albania and Greece and not central or east european like Poland or russia. but Serbs by their own self-identification are Serbs, and not illyrians. also Bulgars by their own self identification are Bulgars and not "southern slav" even though they speak a slavic language. Bulgar ethnicity as it is today was only created in the early medieval time, even thought he area was inhabited before that. i'm sure there are also European settlers that mixed with native americans but calling USA a continuation of native american culture is stretching things a lot. to me this is the same to those who say Serbians are illyrians. serbians are serbians and illyrians are long gone. no one says that serbs didn't blended in, but that doesn't make them "natives" so to speak. there are still Sorbs in eastern germany that attest the migration of Serbs. still eastern germany is not and was never considdered a slavic country that just happen to speak German by chance. to me it appears people want to tell me Serbs are in fact illyrians that just randomly happen to speak Slavic and call themselves serb because they like the sound of it...
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 19:50
Originally posted by Temujin

as i already stated this is not much different from Germany. and what do you mean by "mixed language" clearly Serbian or Serbokroat is perfectly Slavic.   Another question, if they were so much Illyrian. why didn't they keep speakign illyrian when Serbs moved in? even Bulgars speak Slavic today, why don't they speak Turkic or Thracian?

Once again... South slavonic languages are very different to other slavonic languages in their grammatics which is explained by local Thraco-Illirian root. So, this is not as perfectly Slavonic as you say. Another thing to mention is that similarity between Slavonic languages can also be secondary as first centers of slavonic literacy was in Balkans and thus they by spreading literature influenced other Slavs. Exactly as it happened with Greek or Latin but obviously in less extent. Third, the fact that Slavonic substrate is more strong in "Slavs" is explained by the same literary culture. In the places where this culture was most strong Slavonic substrate was preserved. In Greece slavs were assimilated not because of their small numbers but because Greek/Byzantine culture was there more than Slavonic. Romania was more influenced by Slavonic culture -- hence higher number of slavonic words in their language. etc.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 19:54

what is indegenous slavic culture at all? as we have seen for example Russians mixed with Finnics, Ukrainians are also heavily influenced by others and so on and on. still they are all grouped as slavic people. Austrians, we can say are Germanized Slovenians /excluding Tyrol which is Bavarian. yes Serbia is one of Balcan countries like Albania and Greece and not central or east european like Poland or russia. but Serbs by their own self-identification are Serbs, and not illyrians. also Bulgars by their own self identification are Bulgars and not "southern slav" even though they speak a slavic language. Bulgar ethnicity as it is today was only created in the early medieval time, even thought he area was inhabited before that. i'm sure there are also European settlers that mixed with native americans but calling USA a continuation of native american culture is stretching things a lot. to me this is the same to those who say Serbians are illyrians. serbians are serbians and illyrians are long gone. no one says that serbs didn't blended in, but that doesn't make them "natives" so to speak. there are still Sorbs in eastern germany that attest the migration of Serbs. still eastern germany is not and was never considdered a slavic country that just happen to speak German by chance. to me it appears people want to tell me Serbs are in fact illyrians that just randomly happen to speak Slavic and call themselves serb because they like the sound of it...

Returning to the main topic exactly the same logic then can be applied to Albanians.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 19:56
I tell you more, following your logic Germans is then a nation created some 200 years ago with unification of many small "nations" around Prussia.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 19:58

who talks about Poland or Russia, i said Slavic, not that Serbia is a central or eastern european country.

There is no such ethnicity -- Slavic. Exactly as there is no Turkic ethnicity or Indoeuropean ethnicity. 
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 20:03

i'm sure there are also European settlers that mixed with native americans but calling USA a continuation of native american culture is stretching things a lot.

Once again, Serbian culture is proven to be continuation of local preslavonic culture, whereas American culture didn't take much from locals.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 20:15
Ethnicity, especially self-identification is a matter of brainwashing, especially in Balkans. For instance we could have now nations like Thracians, Macedonians, Dobrujans and Shops and even Turkic speaking Bulgars (made of actual Turks and Pomaks)  on the territory of modern Bulgaria or a single Yugoslavian nation uniting all slavs south of Danube. Or take a look at Greeks -- if in their national revival they would pay more attention on their Byzantine root we would have now another Romania. On the other hand northern Greeks could be separated from the rest of Greeks emphasizing their "Macedonicity". Why do I tell all this? I try to reason that all this crap about newcomers and locals autochtones is absolutely unlogical and should not be used in territorial claims.

Edited by Anton - 20-Feb-2008 at 20:17
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 20:41
Kosovo 'tool kit for separatists'

KKosovo's independence has provided a tool kit for secessionist movements in Europe and beyond, Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic has said.

He also said recognition of Kosovo by some EU members would jeopardise Serbia's path to EU membership.

His remarks came as Nato troops reopened Kosovo's northern borders, closed after the demolition of two border posts by Serbian protesters.

Correspondents say the situation at the border is currently osovo's independence has provided a tool kit for secessionist movements in Europe and beyond, Serbian Foreign Minister Vuk Jeremic has said.

He also said recognition of Kosovo by some EU members would jeopardise Serbia's path to EU membership.

His remarks came as Nato troops reopened Kosovo's northern borders, closed after the demolition of two border posts by Serbian protesters.

Correspondents say the situation at the border is currently  calm but tense.

Nato peacekeepers reopened the two demolished border checkpoints on Wednesday.

Crowds of demonstrators had used bulldozers and explosives on Tuesday to demolish the border posts at Jarinje and Brnjak, and peacekeepers were called in to restore order.

Nato commander Xavier Bout de Marnhac was quoted as blaming local Serbian leaders for the trouble.

Students in the Serb-dominated town of Mitrovica are organising daily protests at 12.44 pm, referring to UN Security Council resolution 1244 under which Serbia insists it still has sovereignty of Kosovo under international law.

'Relations compromised'

Mr Jeremic said Kosovo's declaration of independence was illegal and illegitimate, adding that Serbia would fight tooth and nail to have it overturned.

Speaking at the Council of Europe in Strasbourg, he said those who had recognised Kosovo had set a dangerous precedent.

"By the actions of some European member-states, every would-be ethnic or religious separatist across Europe and around the world has been provided with a tool kit on how to achieve recognition," he said.

"Does anyone in this room think that the Kosovo Albanians are the only group in the world with a grievance against their capital?"

Some Russian officials have hinted that Moscow could recognise the Georgian breakaway regions of Abkhazia and South Ossetia in response to the Kosovan declaration.

Mr Jeremic also said Serbia's path to full EU membership had been damaged by the recognition of Kosovo by more than half the EU's member countries.

"The relations between Serbia and certain members of the European Union have been compromised and I don't see how we can accelerate our efforts towards Europe," he said.

Many - though not all - EU states have argued that Kosovo is a unique case - that Serbia lost its right to govern there because of the brutal repression of the Albanian majority.

UN divided

Earlier EU special envoy Pieter Feith began his work in Pristina as the head of the international civilian office due to take over from the UN.

He insisted that a 2,000-strong EU police and justice mission would be deployed throughout Kosovo despite Serb hostility.

But Russian Foreign Minister Sergei Lavrov said the mission was "in breach of the highest international law".

In a separate development, the German cabinet agreed formally to recognise Kosovo's independence. Norway also announced its intention to accept Kosovo as an independent state.

But Serbia responded by recalling its ambassadors to Germany and Austria, another country that has recognised Kosovo.

Britain, France, and Italy were among the first to come out in favour of Kosovo's independence but other EU countries are opposed.

The UN Security Council is divided over how to respond to Kosovo's move, and it has failed to agree on any action.

Serbian security forces were driven out of Kosovo in 1999 after a Nato bombing campaign aimed at halting the violent repression of ethnic Albanian separatists.

The province has been under UN administration and Nato protection since then.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7255400.stm

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 21:50
Honestly every ethnic identity in the world that wants to separate from a nation should be supported and given that right from the international community. However there must be a clear requirement of a certain percentage of population concentrated within a region to make it possible. Of course they must have a reason too such as political suppression or violence against them.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 21:52
Originally posted by Anton

Once again... South slavonic languages are very different to other slavonic languages in their grammatics which is explained by local Thraco-Illirian root. So, this is not as perfectly Slavonic as you say. Another thing to mention is that similarity between Slavonic languages can also be secondary as first centers of slavonic literacy was in Balkans and thus they by spreading literature influenced other Slavs. Exactly as it happened with Greek or Latin but obviously in less extent. Third, the fact that Slavonic substrate is more strong in "Slavs" is explained by the same literary culture. In the places where this culture was most strong Slavonic substrate was preserved. In Greece slavs were assimilated not because of their small numbers but because Greek/Byzantine culture was there more than Slavonic. Romania was more influenced by Slavonic culture -- hence higher number of slavonic words in their language. etc.

whats the point? Serbians are still slavic at the end of the day, all slavic languages are different from each others. if ail to see the point you're trying to make.

Returning to the main topic exactly the same logic then can be applied to Albanians.

yes. i mentioned before that Albanians as ethnicity was formed in late medieval times.

I tell you more, following your logic Germans is then a nation created some 200 years ago with unification of many small "nations" around Prussia.

congratulations for realizing something that is written in every history book! Clap

There is no such ethnicity -- Slavic. Exactly as there is no Turkic ethnicity or Indoeuropean ethnicity.

yes, its a group of related ethnics.

Once again, Serbian culture is proven to be continuation of local preslavonic culture, whereas American culture didn't take much from locals.

then how come they are orthodox christians, bosnians are muslim and croatians are catholic? is this something done by illyrians? if so, how coem they considder thesmelves different from each others? wheres that proove? does every serbian have a stamp on his back saying "made in illyria"?

Ethnicity, especially self-identification is a matter of brainwashing, especially in Balkans. For instance we could have now nations like Thracians, Macedonians, Dobrujans and Shops and even Turkic speaking Bulgars (made of actual Turks and Pomaks)  on the territory of modern Bulgaria or a single Yugoslavian nation uniting all slavs south of Danube. Or take a look at Greeks -- if in their national revival they would pay more attention on their Byzantine root we would have now another Romania. On the other hand northern Greeks could be separated from the rest of Greeks emphasizing their "Macedonicity". Why do I tell all this? I try to reason that all this crap about newcomers and locals autochtones is absolutely unlogical and should not be used in territorial claims.

sou you're basically saying the Balkan people are too dumb to know who they are themselves? Ermm
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 22:06

sou you're basically saying the Balkan people are too dumb to know who they are themselves? Ermm

Not, only Balkan people. Any nation. In the same way you can make a nation from Bavarians for instance.

congratulations for realizing something that is written in every history book! Clap
cheers Tongue

whats the point? Serbians are still slavic at the end of the day, all slavic languages are different from each others. if ail to see the point you're trying to make.
That culturaly Balkaneese are much more related to each other than Slavs to each other. Apart from the language of course. But even in language they share comon things that is absent in other slavs. Which means that Balkanese have common roots. Which, I repeat, makes stupid crappy talks about who was first here.

yes, its a group of related ethnics.
related linguistically mostly.

then how come they are orthodox christians, bosnians are muslim and croatians are catholic? is this something done by illyrians? if so, how coem they considder thesmelves different from each others? wheres that proove? does every serbian have a stamp on his back saying "made in illyria"?
Now its my turn to fail in understanding. Culture is something that is developed with time, why do you expect it to be the same as 1500 years ago?

Edited by Anton - 20-Feb-2008 at 22:08
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 22:09
Antioxos, what is the picture in your signature?
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 22:17

Not, only Balkan people. Any nation. In the same way you can make a nation from Bavarians for instance.

as i said before, Germany is a confederation of Germanic tribes. other examples are Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India amongst others.

That culturaly Balkaneese are much more related to each other than Slavs to each other. Apart from the language of course. But even in language they share comon things that is absent in other slavs. Which means that Balkanese have common roots. Which, I repeat, makes stupid crappy talks about who was first here.

i was not talking about who was first, actually Serbians existed before Albanians. of course neighbouring countries have a lot of loan words. you can't read 19th century german without knowing french. ottoman empire court language was Persian. likewise most medieval european court languages were latin. all that is no proove that there is any sort of connection other than the normal mutual influence.

Now its my turn to fail in understanding. Culture is something that is developed with time, why do you expect it to be the same as 1500 years ago?

well? its not me who says Serbians are illyrians....you used the argument of cultural continuity to proove Serbians are illyrians.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 22:26
Temujin, Anton is not saying that Serbs are Illirians.

The only thing he wants to say is that Thracians/Illirians/Dacians are among the ancestors of Serbs. And there is enough evidence to support this.

What's wrong with this in your opinion?
Σαυρομάτης
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 22:35

as i said before, Germany is a confederation of Germanic tribes. other examples are Iran, Afghanistan, Pakistan and India amongst others.

I don't understand what you mean. Besides, we probably go too deep oftop.  Moreover, I suspect that we try to explain the same things but with different words LOL

likewise most medieval european court languages were latin.
all that is no proove that there is any sort of connection other than the normal mutual influence.
This is actually one of the proofs that European cullture originated from Latin one in many aspects. This is not a mutual influence.   

well? its not me who says Serbians are illyrians....you used the argument of cultural continuity to proove Serbians are illyrians.
two pages of discussion to find that you didn't understand what we (I guess including Menumorut, Chillbudius and Sarmat) mean Smile
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 23:00

so? modern Bulgaria was obviously the center of thre Thracian world,
It was not unless you refer only to certain episodes. Many enough Thracian rulers and communities are found in southern Thrace (today Greece and Turkey) and to be honest most of our knowledge of Thracians comes from the shore areas, in the neighbourhood of Greek colonies (that is Aegean, Marmara and Black Sea shores from which only a part of the Black Sea shore is in today Bulgaria).

like i said before i couldn't care less if a few tribes also happened to dwell in borderign countries, it would have been strange to assume ancient tribes stick to modern boundaries, but what i said still is valid overall.
 You initially said that there were no Thracians population in the territories later inhabited by Serbians and you were wrong. Then you started to launch groundless estimates on the Thracian distribution in Balkans. IMO nothing is valid about these.

who talks about Poland or Russia, i said Slavic
If you say Slavic you talk about Poland and Russia too because Polish and Russian are Slavic languages.

culture like dress & food is dictated by region, not ethnicity
What is ethnicity? What is Slavic in Serbian ethnicity and how are ethnically Serbians related to other Slavic people like the Polish and the Russian? I know about language, that was my point, you fill the rest.

Serbs do call themselves Serbs and Serbs talk a Slavic language and a Serb can understand more or less Russian but not albanian.
You have no other arguments but the language. So if I learn Serbian language I become a Serb? I guarantee you not.

and ignoring everything that has been said, the Serbs are newcommers to the area no matter how much they mixed with the locals whatsoever.
Groundless supposition. The first time we hear of Serbs they are locals in Serbia.

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Feb-2008 at 23:58

Originally posted by Ikki

If the serbs from the northern provinces of Kosovo, want split out and unify with Serbia, it's the same right than Kosovo have used for separate from Serbia, right? Should be accepted by the alban-kosovars...

Kosovo should not be a precedent according to EU and USA declaration, remember?

Of course, until the next time that USA and most of western europeans understand the legitimate reasons of another province in another country. Well, this is right if is right for us, if not, no and the same should think the kosovars, we can do it they not, we can because we want, they can't althought they want because we don't want, curious... That from the point of view of those countries, for anothers the no precedent argument mean never ever again, Russia and Spain.

Originally posted by Theodore Felix

The problem with that is that "northern Kosovo" is not really a recognized entity with defined borders. Its purely on ethnic grounds. Which means that Albs of Preshevo valley, which is in southern Serbia, next to Kosovo, would start pushing for the same; along with Albs of north-western Macedonia. So far those ethnicities have kept quiet. Albs of Preshevo use the Albanian flag and the Serbian flag, same with FYROM Albs...

In fact like have said another fellow, Serbia have a great influence in the well defined northern serbian provinces the real problem is with a souther isolated serbian province.

Those who support the independence of Kosovo, will support the serbian-kosovar decision if in the next months they claim for a unification with Serbia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 32>