Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKosovo

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>
Author
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Kosovo
    Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 04:21
Territory is very important to human beings, you lose it and you might lose your ability to survive. This is the most important thing that gets lost in terms such as nationalism, race, ethnicity etc. Regardless though I believe that that day when people realize there is no truth is closer than ever. Question is - What will people do when they realize it?
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Northman View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 00:09
No - I don't think there will be another separation for the Serbians from Kosovo.
Right now, as we speak and as we have spent 30 times 20 posts to find one truth that doesn't exist about a conflict going on for more than a millenium, old people are driven out of their homes and villages , away from friends, neighbors, family graveyards, their churches and a life they have lived since they were born - and why? 
Because they were born as Serbs, and now their homeland changed status to Kosovo. They must relocate to a place inside the borders of Serbia - they have become unwanted strangers in the place they have considered home all their life.
Heartbreaking to wittness.

I have a vain hope, that someday people get smart enough to realise there IS no truth. Every poster in this thread speak what he thinks is the truth, and I believe it is for HIM.
But it's not the truth - its a perspective - a point of view like most, if not all, history is.

From my point of view, as an spectator and vivid reader of history, the Balkan conflit through all centuries is and have been based on nationality, race, etnicity and religion. Amazing that people choose to let this continue - these factors can only serve to divide, create hatred and conflict - blodfeuds through centuries.

The human race is an intelligent, thinking and innovative race - at least, that is, what should separate us from being mere animals with territorial instincts. Yet we still fight like packs of wolves - howling and growling, biting and killing at each other.
We should liberate ourselves from those ancient bonds, forget what happened in a foggy blurred past and look for better perspectives for the good of all, not just our own pack.
But that seems to be vey hard, if not impossible, southeast of the alps.

And thats the truth!

~ Northman

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 20:01
Originally posted by Chilbudios

The fact is that the two communities live practically in apartheid.
So what will happen to the Serbians from Kosovo? Shall Kosovo be separated in smaller countries, one for each "pure" ethnic region?

That seems to be the way the cookies -- and countries -- of the future will crumble.

-Akolouthos
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 18:53
The fact is that the two communities live practically in apartheid.
So what will happen to the Serbians from Kosovo? Shall Kosovo be separated in smaller countries, one for each "pure" ethnic region?
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 18:36
Instead of news about violences, news about cooperation between Serbs and Albanians.

Because there is practically no cooperation between Serbs and Albanians; and so any news that emphasized that would be presenting a distorted reality. The fact is that the two communities live practically in apartheid.
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 15:33
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Originally posted by Temujin

i have never claimed that, i don't know if there was extermination or displacement, i also never claimed that peoples are racially pure and provided examples of peoples mixing in case of german population. i just dispute your nationalist theories about peoples being racially pure since antiquity and never changing thereafter. this is no new idea, we had guys like this here before which all used the same arguments of genetic testing blabla.

I don't think you've read his posts. He's claiming that the Slavs mixed with the locals rather than exterminating them...

Yes. Exactly.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 12:05
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

That would not have worked as it sided with the backbone of the Serbian request, which was "more than autonomy less than independence" (as one Serb politician stated), in contrast to the backbone of the Albanian request which was independence with specific limitations.
In the end, the two sided could not meet an an agreement because of the fact that their primary goals were on completely differing sides. Meaning that in order for one person to get his way, one side had to lose. In this case it was Serbia.
It looks to me tha it was simply a question of interpretation. maybe a more responsible attitude of both sides would have been to each pretend that the objective was reached. I know that prejudices exist among people out there due to the fact that violences have been in the recent past but I think that if properly handled, the situation would not degenerate. Maybe the people of Kosovo think of the politicians who acted and proclaimed independence as being great patriots, etc. etc. Maybe, but they are irresponsible.
Perhaps a concentrated media campaign in support of conciliation would be effective. And not just there, worldwide. Tabloids should concentrate on radical politicians/leaders on both sides and throw the s***t on them. Instead of news about violences, news about cooperation between Serbs and Albanians. Peaceful manifestations with KFOR troopers dozing in their APC's while the crowd passes by singing. Talk shows where the guests debate the problem in a relaxed attitude (plenty of jokes, the main goal is to put down the fire not to point to a solution - that will come latter). Fund raising campaigns to collect resources for infrastructure investments in the region as well as in Serbia (careful with that, Serbs must be provided attention, not just feel as the fifth weel). Acid commentaries regarding the attitude of foreign politicians/countryes who take sides. A statement that says nothing by UN (they're good at that).
I think that the first step should be to calm down the spirits, then concentrate on an acceptable solution to be found.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 11:43

i have never claimed that, i don't know if there was extermination or displacement, i also never claimed that peoples are racially pure and provided examples of peoples mixing in case of german population. i just dispute your nationalist theories about peoples being racially pure since antiquity and never changing thereafter. this is no new idea, we had guys like this here before which all used the same arguments of genetic testing blabla.

I don't think you've read his posts. He's claiming that the Slavs mixed with the locals rather than exterminating them...
vulkan02 View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Termythinator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Feb-2008 at 06:21
Originally posted by Theodore Felix

Serbia's pro-Western liberals threatened

By JOVANA GEC, Associated Press Writer Wed Feb 27, 1:44 PM ET

BELGRADE, Serbia - It's dangerous to be a liberal in Serbia, once again.

Just as they thought the hostilities of Slobodan Milosevic's era had been relegated to history, Serbia's pro-Western forces are facing a backlash of nationalist anger over Kosovo's independence declaration.

Prominent human rights activists and liberal politicians have received death threats and their offices have been ransacked. The independent B92 television station is receiving hate mail.

"It is all part of a totally changed political climate in Serbia," said Natasa Kandic, Serbia's leading human rights activist, who has herself been publicly branded a "traitor" by the nationalist media and politicians.

"These events are very worrisome and alarming," Kandic said. "It is hard to predict where Serbia is heading."

Riding on the tide of frustration fueled by the cherished province's secession from Serbia, the Balkan nation has turned its back on the pro-Western policies launched after Milosevic's 2000 ouster.

The situation has deteriorated rapidly since Kosovo's ethnic Albanian leadership issued its declaration Feb. 17 a move followed by swift recognition by the United States and its Western allies.

Serbia and Kosovo's Serb minority have refused to accept the independence of Kosovo, which Serbs consider the cradle of Serbia's history and culture.

The events unleashed a wave of officially sponsored anti-Western fury that culminated with last week's mob attacks on the U.S. and other foreign embassies and the looting of Western-owned banks and shops.

The nationalists also vented their anger at those they consider local traitors: the pro-Western Liberal Democratic Party, Kandic and her Humanitarian Law Center, and the B92 station.

Cedomir Jovanovic, the Liberal Party leader and the main critic of government policies on Kosovo, received death threats as rioters tried to attack his home in downtown Belgrade. Several party offices throughout Serbia were ransacked.

Kandic said mobs attempted to set fire to her office in central Belgrade, and she received death threats.

On Monday, B92 TV said its journalists had received large quantities of hate mail threatening a "bullet to the head" for some journalists. The station demanded the government take action against those making the threats.

"Obviously ... someone wants to impose censorship on the station," said its lawyer, Slobodan Kremenjak.

In 2003, reformist Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic was gunned down by Milosevic's paramilitaries and mobsters in front of government headquarters. His killing has come to symbolize the dangers that liberals face in a country crippled economically and scarred emotionally by the 1990s wars that accompanied the splintering of Serb-dominated Yugoslavia.

Djindjic's followers fear the new attacks on government critics are designed to silence any dissent and completely sideline pro-Western groups and politicians.

Those include President Boris Tadic, who earlier this month won re-election by promising to take Serbia toward European Union membership, but whose triumph has been overshadowed by the Kosovo events.

Meanwhile, nationalist Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica has seized the initiative by stoking anger over Kosovo.

"This is a dangerous and complex time for Serbian moderates still wanting a European future," William Montgomery, a former U.S. ambassador, wrote in the newspaper Danas.

Yahoo News

It sucks that the radical party might win the next election because of this Kosovo decision now and who knows what the consequences might be.
The beginning of a revolution is in reality the end of a belief - Le Bon
Destroy first and construction will look after itself - Mao
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 20:50

this is no new idea, we had guys like this here before which all used the same arguments of genetic testing blabla.
You are figthing windmills -- genetic studies show mixings of populations rather than their "purity".
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 20:42

i just dispute your nationalist theories about peoples being racially pure since antiquity and never changing thereafter. this is no new idea, we had guys like this here before which all used the same arguments of genetic testing blabla.

What??? Show me where did I claim something like that! This is really amazing! Dead I actually insist you to cite my posts where I speak about racial purity and the rest. Otherwise it will be my turn to doubt your mental health.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 19:50
Originally posted by Anton

arguments supporting your idea of extermination of locals by slavs

Edited by Temujin - 28-Feb-2008 at 19:51
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 19:43

This is amazing! One of you, dudes, didn't present any historical, archeological or any other sort of arguments supporting your idea of extermination of locals by slavs, only his contribution was just spaming and making ridiculously stupid remarcs about "Nazi" genetics and archeology, another one made a silly attempt to do so claiming Nestor to live in 7th century and making wrong interpretation of only part of the sources and after all that we are those who have menthal disorder???   Disaster!LOL

just for the record...i did provide two primary sources which were dismissed for reasons i can't follow (you never explained the existence of White Croats and White Serbs in Poland/Moravia) but instead presented theories presented by a few "experts" that are at odds with the common scholarly opinion, (<- you yourself said that it was just theories) which you thought should be held as ultimate truth, apparently. it was also said, that Latin was not spoken in Germany (and couple of others) which is obviously false, Latin was the official language of the Holy Roman Empire all along. on the same note, French which was lingua franca of the renaissance and industrial age never really made it to the rest of the population. in both cases it was only spoken by the famous "elites". this pretty much dissillusions our nice "Slavic lingua franca theory"....
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 19:34

archeology cannot prove the ethnicity of ancient nations(for instance cannot make a difference between ancient thracian and medieval slavonic vilages),

how do you know it was thracian or slavonic?

ancient traditions are tought by dead people, and the pearl of the pearls is: Only language determines the ethnicity.  

this is not what i claimed. as i said before, did Germans only learned Napoleon III was ruler of the French after they captured him at Sedan? likely not. you don't really need to f**k a girl to get to know her! Wink
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 19:24

It stopped when you thoughtfully mentioned that theses of your opponents are total rubish Smile

No I didn't. Be more carefull.Smile

Originally posted by Illirac

if you want to continue open a new topic
It's done long time ago:
You are welcome to contribute with your 100 000 sources. But be prepared to cite them correctly not like here. 
[/QUOTE]
I was not aware of it

Only language determines the ethnicity- you said
No I didn't. Be more carefull.
[/QUOTE]
I'll continue in the http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=4520
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 19:00
It stopped when you thoughtfully mentioned that theses of your opponents are total rubish Smile

if you want to continue open a new topic
It's done long time ago:
You are welcome to contribute with your 100 000 sources. But be prepared to cite them correctly not like here.  

Only language determines the ethnicity- you said
No I didn't. Be more carefull.
Theodore Felix View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 19:00

Serbia's pro-Western liberals threatened

By JOVANA GEC, Associated Press Writer Wed Feb 27, 1:44 PM ET

BELGRADE, Serbia - It's dangerous to be a liberal in Serbia, once again.

Just as they thought the hostilities of Slobodan Milosevic's era had been relegated to history, Serbia's pro-Western forces are facing a backlash of nationalist anger over Kosovo's independence declaration.

Prominent human rights activists and liberal politicians have received death threats and their offices have been ransacked. The independent B92 television station is receiving hate mail.

"It is all part of a totally changed political climate in Serbia," said Natasa Kandic, Serbia's leading human rights activist, who has herself been publicly branded a "traitor" by the nationalist media and politicians.

"These events are very worrisome and alarming," Kandic said. "It is hard to predict where Serbia is heading."

Riding on the tide of frustration fueled by the cherished province's secession from Serbia, the Balkan nation has turned its back on the pro-Western policies launched after Milosevic's 2000 ouster.

The situation has deteriorated rapidly since Kosovo's ethnic Albanian leadership issued its declaration Feb. 17 a move followed by swift recognition by the United States and its Western allies.

Serbia and Kosovo's Serb minority have refused to accept the independence of Kosovo, which Serbs consider the cradle of Serbia's history and culture.

The events unleashed a wave of officially sponsored anti-Western fury that culminated with last week's mob attacks on the U.S. and other foreign embassies and the looting of Western-owned banks and shops.

The nationalists also vented their anger at those they consider local traitors: the pro-Western Liberal Democratic Party, Kandic and her Humanitarian Law Center, and the B92 station.

Cedomir Jovanovic, the Liberal Party leader and the main critic of government policies on Kosovo, received death threats as rioters tried to attack his home in downtown Belgrade. Several party offices throughout Serbia were ransacked.

Kandic said mobs attempted to set fire to her office in central Belgrade, and she received death threats.

On Monday, B92 TV said its journalists had received large quantities of hate mail threatening a "bullet to the head" for some journalists. The station demanded the government take action against those making the threats.

"Obviously ... someone wants to impose censorship on the station," said its lawyer, Slobodan Kremenjak.

In 2003, reformist Prime Minister Zoran Djindjic was gunned down by Milosevic's paramilitaries and mobsters in front of government headquarters. His killing has come to symbolize the dangers that liberals face in a country crippled economically and scarred emotionally by the 1990s wars that accompanied the splintering of Serb-dominated Yugoslavia.

Djindjic's followers fear the new attacks on government critics are designed to silence any dissent and completely sideline pro-Western groups and politicians.

Those include President Boris Tadic, who earlier this month won re-election by promising to take Serbia toward European Union membership, but whose triumph has been overshadowed by the Kosovo events.

Meanwhile, nationalist Prime Minister Vojislav Kostunica has seized the initiative by stoking anger over Kosovo.

"This is a dangerous and complex time for Serbian moderates still wanting a European future," William Montgomery, a former U.S. ambassador, wrote in the newspaper Danas.

Yahoo News

Edited by Theodore Felix - 28-Feb-2008 at 19:00
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 18:28
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Do you have anything more to add about Serbs and Albanians or that's your final contribution? Wink

BohConfused...we'll see, after this "pointless" discussion I do not know where the matter "Kosovo" stopped Confused

Ikki, it seems it variates from person to person

Edited by Illirac - 28-Feb-2008 at 18:30
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 18:26

As for the Romance languages - they are similar to Latin yes, but a French will not understand an Italian, a Serbian will understand a Slovakian (yes of course less he will understand a polish - only because they were germanized)

Not certain at all, we the spanish understand the italians if they speak slowly and the same can be said in the opposite way. I think the present slavic languages splited later than romance languages and time is a crucial factor here, like the geography. The castillians speakers and the galicians speakers understand both near perfection, romanians and castillians not in thousand years.
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2008 at 18:26
And that was the answer.

Do you have anything more to add about Serbs and Albanians or that's your final contribution? Wink

Edited by Chilbudios - 28-Feb-2008 at 18:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 32>