Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

All people having blue eyes have common ancestor

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: All people having blue eyes have common ancestor
    Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 02:48
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22934464/wid/11915773?GT1=10815
        Another one of those goofy origin theories

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 01-Feb-2008 at 02:50
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 03:48
Doesn't sound goofy at all to me, sounds plausible and explains some questions I had.

Whjy do you say it's goofy though, they backed it up with science?
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 10:37
Backed up with scientific-sounding wordage, yes. Pretty obviously blue eyes are a genetic mutation from brown, but there's no reason - scientific reason anyway - to assume the mutation only took place once. Too many subjective assumptions go into taxonomic analysis to make reliance on it 'scientific', though it may be impressive mathematically.

One reason haemophilia, for instance, doesn't die out is that some 20% of cases are not inherited but represent fresh mutations.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 11:39
Hawks said. "This gene does something good for people. It makes them have more kids."

Just call me Love Machine from now on.....
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 14:55
My eyes are green Embarrassed

So are my children's and some grandchildren's.

But no-one previously in my family had green eyes.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 14:58
Originally posted by gcle2003

My eyes are green Embarrassed

So are my children's and some grandchildren's.

But no-one previously in my family had green eyes.

If you allow me, let me pull your leg once Wink

In genetics you never discard the milkman factor LOL
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 16:27
my girlfriend has baby blue eyes

so do I

you know what they say, incest is best!
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 17:19
Pretty obviously blue eyes are a genetic mutation from brown, but there's no reason - scientific reason anyway - to assume the mutation only took place once.
They just matched everyone with Blue eyes to the related a related gene that is known to effect the eyes. Following the mtDNA that everyone matches with and finding that they had a common ancestor too.
They also said that one person did not match up with everyone else out of the group which means there was another mutation in a seperate lineage.

But if mutations aren't scarce like this, then why hasn't other groups of people had similar gene changes? We see a wide veriety of peoples with the eye colors, but they have been linked for centuries too.

Gcle, I know you are far more knowledagable on this subject, but these are questions I've thought about and these just seem to fit in with what this article is about. They are discussing people from Europe to the Middle East, and these people have had close links with each other throughout history. But we don't see these mutations in sub-sahara Africa, or the far east. But in the United States, I have seen African Americans with eyes that are on the more greener side, and to me that points to a mix in their background.

"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 17:58
I have one question: how does having blue eyes make "blue eyed" people have more children? That's a ridiculous statement.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 18:10
the problem here is, blue eye is not blue eye. for example people in the Ukraine (and those in Turkey, Jordan which are mentioned in the article i read) are different blue from those of scandinavia etc. Ukraines have more steel-grey blue-ish eyes and scandinavians have deep sea-blue eyes. to draw a connection bewteen them is nonsense imo.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 19:05
I have one question: how does having blue eyes make "blue eyed" people have more children? That's a ridiculous statement.
I think it has to do with cultural thing with blue eyes and blondes. I know it is here in the US anyways.

But we are also instinctivly attracted to rounder shapes, symetrical looks on people and full lips. When a women is preganant her lips become redder and even her hair darkens and it's believe to make her look more attractive so her husband doesn't go off and find someone else.

So with blue eyes, if someone says it looks nice, everyone else seems to follow suit. Right now tan skin is the fashion while in the past it was pale. Hollywood said disgustingly skinny was in, and girls went to extreme lengths to reach that goal despite health effects.

In other words, Image is everything in society.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 19:22
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

Hollywood said disgustingly skinny was in, and girls went to extreme lengths to reach that goal despite health effects.

So I guess nowadays Hollywood is saying morbid obesity is in?

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 19:37
Originally posted by SearchAndDestroy

I think it has to do with cultural thing with blue eyes and blondes. I know it is here in the US anyways.

But we are also instinctivly attracted to rounder shapes, symetrical looks on people and full lips. When a women is preganant her lips become redder and even her hair darkens and it's believe to make her look more attractive so her husband doesn't go off and find someone else.

So with blue eyes, if someone says it looks nice, everyone else seems to follow suit. Right now tan skin is the fashion while in the past it was pale. Hollywood said disgustingly skinny was in, and girls went to extreme lengths to reach that goal despite health effects.

In other words, Image is everything in society.

That explains why they are more sexually attractive not why they have more children. My statement still stands; why is blue eye color an indicator of the number of offspring blue eyed people have.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 19:46
Rather large sample, to have one common ansestor. You can have a blue eyed gene and not have blue eyes, my sister has blue eyes, I have brown eyes, and I do think we would have the same ansestors, even if I am not a carrier of the "desired" recessive gene.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 19:57
That explains why they are more sexually attractive not why they have more children. My statement still stands; why is blue eye color an indicator of the number of offspring blue eyed people have.
Well I think one of us read it wrong then, because I think he's talking about them being more attractive to people, which on a whole means they are passing their genes more.
So I guess nowadays Hollywood is saying morbid obesity is in?
It could, I don't know any examples until it makes it to the news. But the US seems to have had a obesity problem before hollywood and now their are commericals saying "Big is beautiful", so who knows.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 01-Feb-2008 at 20:42
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 22:37
Originally posted by Sparten

Rather large sample, to have one common ansestor. You can have a blue eyed gene and not have blue eyes, my sister has blue eyes, I have brown eyes, and I do think we would have the same ansestors, even if I am not a carrier of the "desired" recessive gene.
          My point exactly. Far too diverse populations to have a common ancestor. And i have heard that blue eyes as well as red hair are also found among the Polynesians. Blond hair are quite comon among australian aboriginals. Again too diverse populations to have a comon ancestor. And i also noticed a native American sculpture (pre-coloumbus) to have blue eyes. I have also heard that northern chinese can have coloured eyes.
         And considering that they are giving the appearance of blue eyes to just 4000 B.C the person having them would have to copulate like crazy to reach the current population of blue eyed people in the world.             
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 22:46
This is an albnio from far east asia (indonesian)

This is an albnio from Tanzania(Africa)

This is an albino from Japan (Far east)

AS you can see blonde hair and blue eyes exist among all populations. And seeing the condition of skin of these people you can understand that why blonde hair and blue eyes is not the normal course of things in those environments.   
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 22:56
       And about  blue eyes. Blue eyes are very sensitive to sun light. I had an albino friend Ammad. And his eyes were almost completely shut because he was extremely sensitive to the abudant sunlight of Pakistan and could not open them at all. Same is the case with almost all the other albinos which i see occasionally, their eyes are almost completely shut because they are very sensitive to sunlight. The picture that i have posted of  an albino African has lost his eye sight completely because of this and the website is asking for funds so that they can supply the albinos of Tanzania with sunglasses to pretect them from the sun.
    And whenever there is not too much sunlight there will be no reason for melanin in their eyes and they will tend to have blue eyes like many people in the cold climates of the Himalayas, Turkey and North Africa have.   

Its pretty simple and i don't see that why you have to invent contrived theories to explain it.

I suspect that many westerners find it difficult to accept is because they perhaps have made blue eyes, blonde hair, and white skin too much of their identity.       

Edited by bilal_ali_2000 - 01-Feb-2008 at 23:06
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 23:26
           Soem albinos can have red eyes because the coloration of the eye will be of the blood in the iris. 
Baron
Baron

Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 23:34
          A good article on this subject.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>