Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Most Influential Intellectuals of the Millenium

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Who do you find is the most influential intellectual of the millenium?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
2 [16.67%]
1 [8.33%]
2 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
2 [16.67%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [8.33%]
4 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Most Influential Intellectuals of the Millenium
    Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 15:32
I'd like to dicuss intellectuals and how they have impacted the society we live in. I think intellectuals have largely shaped our society and ways of thinking and therefore should receive recognition. Remember that by "intellectuals" I mean writers and scientists, but not inventors or artists.

Edited by Winterhaze13
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 02:24
Adam Smith, no matter what dogma people profess, its his realizations that mnost of us unwittingly or intentionally follow.
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 12:42
I vote for Galileo, not just because of his discoveries in physics and astronomy, even if they were important, but mainly because he is considered the father of the modern scientific method -- which certainly influenced the millennium even more than philosophy, economics and ideologies.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 13:01
I guess I will have to vote for Martin Luther. He lay a main foundation of the separation of church and state, a principle of many modern countries. And he created a new denomination which hundreds of millions of people follow.
Winterhaze13 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Winterhaze13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2005 at 19:31
Hold on Guys, I forgot to add Issac Newton to this poll so I am going to get this one locked and start a new thread. Afterwards, please cut and paste your messages onto the new thread.
Indeed, history is nothing more than a tableau of crimes and misfortunes.

-- Voltaire
French author, humanist, rationalist, & satirist (1694 - 1778)
 Post Reply Post Reply