Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Arisary/Erisary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Arisary/Erisary
    Posted: 24-Jan-2008 at 23:00
Not sure if this belongs in this sections, but I'm sure the mods can/will figure it out and move it to the appropriate section.

I am curious about the meaning of one of the Turkmen tribes: Arisary or Erisary.  Literally, it means "yellow husband" right?  Is it in reference to the color of skin or hair?  or something else all together?  I've never really thought about it.  Turkmen, when describing skin color, use "Aq" (white) or "Ghara" (Black).  If you call someone "Sari" it has more to do with hair than skin (at least this is my impression).  Anyone have an idea? 
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 10:00
Parts of the uygurs were sari, I think. And european kumans were the result of the alliance of the kimeks (imeks and kipchaks) and sarys. They were called polovec/Falben (pale) in Europe.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 19:48
why people always think that a colour in a tribal name etc has something got to do with complexions at all??? Confused
barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 21:44

It can be. Qara Hazers did have very dark complextion comparing to the Aq Hazers as Arabic travellers noticed. 

Either make a history or become a history.
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 04:04
Originally posted by Temujin

why people always think that a colour in a tribal name etc has something got to do with complexions at all??? Confused

Perhaps because color in this particular tribal name is ascribed to an individual (husband). 
Also might help to explain the many blonde haired, blue eyed Arisary Turkmen(s) I know.  Usually if you attribute a color to a person (gok, ghara, aq, sary) it is in describing some notable physical feature.  Not many would name their darker skinned daughter "Aq gul" unless they had a sense of humor, it is in reference to her complexion.
Jalair View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Jalair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Jan-2008 at 19:37
Is it written Erisary or Ersary? I am not sure if Sary stands for Yellow here because there is another Turkmen tribe called Sariq or Saruq probably yellow. On the other hand in division of Erisary there is a main subtribe called Qara if it means black here not great.
Zarra
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 18:01
shouldn't the colour in the name come first anyways?
khutulun View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote khutulun Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Feb-2008 at 23:42

Jalair, I'm not sure about other dialects/accents, but the way we say it, it does have the i, so it is Arisary.  Yellow is Sari, the 'q' is possibly a dialectical or accent difference.  I've heard some Uzbeks say "Sariq" instead of "Sari"  (the 'a' here is the long o sound).

Temujin, no the 'i' sound (I wish I could find the proper grammatical term for it) allows the color to be at the end, I'm sure there is rule and I don't know it, but t is very awkward to the ear and tongue to place the color in front this word.

Gok Guz = Blue eye
Gozigok= it's eye is blue

Sari Ar= (very awkward wording) yellow husband
Ari Sari = The husband that is yellow or It's husband is yellow

barbar View Drop Down
General
General
retired AE Moderator

Quote barbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Feb-2008 at 11:19
Originally posted by Temujin

shouldn't the colour in the name come first anyways?

Yes, most of the time. Such as Kokturk,Qizilbash, Qaraqalpaq, Aqqoyunlu etc. Some times it can come after with the addition of "i", such as above.

Either make a history or become a history.
 Post Reply Post Reply