Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Writer of your Country

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Moller View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Moller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Writer of your Country
    Posted: 25-Apr-2005 at 18:32

For Denmark:

The most famos must be:

Hans Christian Andersen (1805-1875) -

His 200 birthday has been "celebrated" in the Danish medias for months now, so at the moment I get sick every time I hear his name. The 200 anniversary is simply to populistic for me.

Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 13:45
Originally posted by yan.

1+2 Franz Kafka

3 dunno

4 Isaak Babel

Isaak Babel? bolshevik and murderer who was writting "konarmiya" stories ?

yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 18:50
Originally posted by Mosquito

1+2 Franz Kafka

3 dunno

4 Isaak Babel

Isaak Babel? bolshevik and murderer who was writting "konarmiya" stories ?

Have you read his 'Red cavalry' ?
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Apr-2005 at 21:06
personally not, but i know what is it all about
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 05:56

Originally posted by Mosquito

personally not, but i know what is it all about

I see. It's because he was a communist. You probably don't like Bulgakov either, then. 

I'd say it's a must-read. IMO much stronger than Remarque's All Quiet on the Western Front, message-wise. Even the cleansed version for distribution in communist countries.

Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 06:16
Lol; how could I answer this?
Vae victis!
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 15:46
Franz Kafka is Austrian AFAIK.
Komnenos View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Administrator

Quote Komnenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 18:09
Originally posted by Temujin

Franz Kafka is Austrian AFAIK.

He was born in Prague in 1883 when it was still part of the Austro-Hungarian empire and died in Vienna in 1924, so technically he was Austrian indeed.
He wrote in German and my original question referred also to writers in one's mother tongue!
[IMG]http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i137/komnenos/crosses1.jpg">
Mosquito View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Suspended

Quote Mosquito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Apr-2005 at 20:02

You probably don't like Bulgakov either, then. 

If you mean the one who was author of "Master and Margaret" i actually like him.

But Babel is a different story. He was in the army which invaded Poland. He was working for CheKa. And the book was more a propaganda than literature.

Red Cavalry book jacket

Edited by Mosquito
yan. View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote yan. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Apr-2005 at 06:20

But Babel is a different story. He was in the army which invaded Poland. He was working for CheKa. And the book was more a propaganda than literature.

Hmm, maybe I got him completely wrong? My impression was that what he described was the complete absence of reason (in the sense of Charlie Sheen in Apocalypse Now) and he actually made me understand why sane politicians dislike civil war so much, even in times of internal crisis. Definitely recommended.

Edited by yan.
Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 10:14

Originally posted by Oguzoglu

I dont understand why you people think Mevlana was Persian. He only used Persian language in most of his poems, but this doesnt make him a Persian.

& I don't Understand too why do you think He was Turk , If he was, Why he didn't use turkish Language, & why there is no turkish word in his poems &....

You know him turk because his shrine located at Ghonie

Molana was Aryan as me & all of his compatriot & whose that his book was elected as most favorite book in US few months ago

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 10:39

Writing in Irani doesn't make Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi Persian just as writing in Latin dosn't affect Erasmus being a Dutch.

In Mavlana's time, Turks were in heavy influence of Persian and Arabic languages.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 10:50

Originally posted by Komnenos

So all you foreigners out there please tell me:

1.     Who is generally accepted to be the greatest
        writer of your country and/or mother-tongue?
2.     Who is your personal favourite?
3.     Who is generally accepted to be your greatest
        living writer?
4.     Who is your favourite writer outside your own
        country and mother-tongue?

Short replies for modern Greece alone:

1. Literature: Kazantzakis, Empeirikos - Poetry: Seferis, Elytis, (nobel prices) Ritsos (Lenin price - yes Mosquito, he was a communist)  & Kavafis

2. Kazantzakis, Vassilikos, Tsirkas

3. Not sure, I don't read much of the moderns. Perhaps Nikos Dimou or Renos Apostolides.

4. Alber Camus, J.P. Sartr, J. Lacan, Oscar Wild, De Sant, James Joys, Douglas Adams (), Umberto Eco & Gogol. (and many more but I think these ones top the list)

Edited by Yiannis
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-May-2005 at 11:09
Originally posted by YAFES

Writing in Irani doesn't make Mevlana Celaleddin Rumi Persian just as writing in Latin dosn't affect Erasmus being a Dutch.

In Mavlana's time, Turks were in heavy influence of Persian and Arabic languages.

Also, all of Mevlana's opuses are not in Persian.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 04:07
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 06:47

So Atatrk was born in Selanik (Tsessalonika) which is in Greece, now. So what??? Belh is in Afghanistan isn't it? Melana immigrated to Meccah fistly and got pilgrimage thre and then settled in Konya (in Turkey) which was a multicultural city those times.

And as I said before, Persian language was dominant and was the Latin of the Middle East.

Behi View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Behi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 09:33

~200 years ago England separate Afghanistan from Iran to defend India against France & Russia, Because Iran has close political relation with French.

Then There is no sign for you to entitle him as Turk, else you have hidden document that shows, all people of Balkh were 100% pure Turk!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 
DO YOU HAVE??????????

And as I said before, Persian language was dominant and was the Latin of the Middle East.

about language case: if he was Turk, why did he forget his mother tongue & poem in Persian???
Why there is NO Turkish word in 26000 bait(line) of Masnavi???
Did he hate his mother tongue???
& make poem in Persian, that needs to be master in Farsi to make sounds of poem

So Atatrk was born in Selanik (Tsessalonika) which is in Greece, now.

Nice Sample, If you like this way, people of Greece has RIGHT to called Ataturk as Greek.
I remember Ataturk was who had forbidden Sema dance.

I think it's enough, Our discussion is going to the wrong way.
You have closed your eyes & you don't want to believe in Facts.

Har kasi ko dor mand az asle khish

baz joiad rozegare vasle khish

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-May-2005 at 16:58

Look this is quite funny, but you're giving your own answers.

ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 08:55
first there is snorri sturluson who gathered all these storys of our history to
bring out the edda and snorra-edda. this manuscript from the 13.ct still exists in a museum in rejkjavik and last but not least haldor laxness who  get  the nobelprice of literature in 1955 .

Edited by ulrich von hutten

Ikki View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Guanarteme

Quote Ikki Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2005 at 19:52
1. Miguel de Cervantes (but i can't read El Quijote)
2. Antonio Machado (the very best, if you want know Spain by poems, well, the roots of Spain, you should read "Fields of Castille" )
3. Jos Saramago (i admire him)
4. Charles Dickens (absolutelly great)

Edited by Ikki
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>