Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Historical Linguistics

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Historical Linguistics
    Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 22:35
Personally I am a big fan of the "Linguistic Turn" in Historiography I am curious if there are any people here who are interested in Historical Linguistics? This is an area that I have very recently gotten into and would like some suggestions as to what would be best to read in this area.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 11:20
Hi King John!
Can you specify what you mean with historical linguistics? Like Hesychius for example who compiled dictionaries?

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 11:25
Flipper, AFAIK the historical linguistics is the branch which studies how and why the languages change.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 11:34
Aaah, ok! Thank you! That is indeed an interresting field.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 14:33
The classic writer with regard to Indo-European languages was always Antoine Meillet, but I read him in French. There are translations of various works available on Amazon though, and presumably in libraries.

For a look at an unusual aspect of language development you might like Gasparov's A History of European Versification. It concentrates on the development of verse forms, but they reflect of course the development of the underlying languages.

And there is always the Cambridge Encyclopedia of Language for general overview and a collection of facts as well as a reasonably objective summary of opinions and theories.

Edited by gcle2003 - 21-Jan-2008 at 14:35
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 01:50
Originally posted by Flipper

Hi King John!Can you specify what you mean with historical linguistics? Like Hesychius for example who compiled dictionaries?

That would be one aspect of Historical linguistics, that is comparing dictionaries and grammars from certain periods of time to other dictionaries and grammars from another period of time to see how the language has changed. Another aspect of historical linguistics is the study of languages and how they relate using morphological and phonological examples to show similarities and common ancestry.

The way I envision using it for my research is to look at the changes in word usage in legal documents over a few hundred years in England and the North Sea countries (Denmark, Norway, etc.).
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 10:15
That would be interesting, but it's a pretty narrow field. For access to sources you might find http://www.fordham.edu/halsall/sbook-law.html#ENGLISH%20LAW  useful.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 17:40
I would be using this in conjunction with my historical research. I plan to have historical linguistics as an outside field when I do my PhD.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 18:39
Originally posted by King John

I would be using this in conjunction with my historical research. I plan to have historical linguistics as an outside field when I do my PhD.

Wow, this is a new development!  It will go well with your interest in English law.  Remember when we read Brian Stock's Listening for the Text?  Although it smacks of postmodernism, some of his other works seem to deal with historical linguistics and methods of interpretation.

Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 18:43
This is a very awesome topic King John.

With something as dynamic as language it would be interesting to learn the effects of various influences and why certain aspects are easily abandoned while others survive. Also, how language can reflect change in a culture and possible inferences we can make from identifying key elements (like a middle-range approach).
The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 18:53
Originally posted by Byzantine Emperor

Wow, this is a new development! It will go well with your interest in English law. Remember when we read Brian Stock's Listening for the Text? Although it smacks of postmodernism, some of his other works seem to deal with historical linguistics and methods of interpretation.

Yeah, I've read some of his other stuff, but I did like Listening for the Text. I never would have thought that I would be interested in linguistics of any sort but the more languages I learn to read the more interested I get in it.
Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 19:02

Yeah, I've read some of his other stuff, but I did like Listening for the Text. I never would have thought that I would be interested in linguistics of any sort but the more languages I learn to read the more interested I get in it.

I thought the book was interesting too.  The method of analysis has its place and can be fruitful when done correctly with as little of their specialized jargon as possible! LOL

I am very interested in the development of the Greek language from antiquity through Byzantium and the early modern period.  One can see the evolution of the vernacular (demotic) in the documentary records from the Mount Athos monasteries.  At the same time, late Byzantine historians are adopting a highly-refined Attic style like Thucydides, whom they emulated greatly.  It is interesting to see the Greek language grapple with terminology to describe new technology and foreign borrowings.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 19:31
That's about how I feel about English prior to the Norman Conquest and after it. The development of English in legal documents of before the Conquest and after is one of my interests as is the development/usage of different words for punishment like eruare, exoculare, amputare, and/or castrare.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 20:06

...after is one of my interests as is the development/usage of different words for punishment like eruare, exoculare, amputare, and/or castrare.

I had been thinking how interesting this sounded, and then you came up with that list. I think you've put me off. Ouch
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Jan-2008 at 20:13
why did the list put you off?

The list is of latin words that appear in documents concerning punishment from the reign of William I to Richard I. I am interested in looking at how these words shifted over time in legal documents.

Edited by King John - 26-Jan-2008 at 20:15
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2008 at 12:51
I know what the words mean. That's the trouble.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2008 at 17:11
The Saxon/Scythian word for "Punish" was "Tucian", in the middle Persian language it was "Tawchian" (Modern Persian "Tawziana") which also means "Scourge", in the modern English and Scottish languages there is the word "Tawse" which means "Whip".
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2008 at 18:58
Originally posted by gcle2003

I know what the words mean. That's the trouble.

Why is that a problem? I know what those words mean as well.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2008 at 20:16
But you have a stronger stomach. I only recently had my gallbladder out Big%20smile.

Against my better judgement though, how does 'eruare' differ from 'exoculare'? Or do I have to let my imagination roam over what else might be plucked out?
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Jan-2008 at 20:33
Eruare has more of a sense of to pluck out or rip out but doesn't necessarily have to be the removal of a body part whereas exoculare is more generically to blind. If that makes sense? Both, in my research, have been used in discussion of blinding. Eruare might also have been used to describe castration, but I highly doubt it.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>