Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancestoral blame and moral judgements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>
Author
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancestoral blame and moral judgements
    Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 10:08
And one more question - what is European?
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 10:55
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

Wait a minute. You say you're mostly of Spanish ancestry. Those people living in Spain are mostly of Spanish ancestry as well (they have some Arabic ancestry quite possibly, and Gypsy ancestry...those two are not European).

You, despite having Spanish blood, don't feel resoponsible/ashamed for the crimes commited by MORE YOUR ancestors then the ancestors of Spanish - Why?? Probably because you don't agree with what was being done, and you somehow connected yourself with something called 'American', which I don't really understand what it is to stand for.

You say that those people in Spain (or Europe) bear the guilt. Do you really think that they appreciate the genocides committed by the two Pizzaroes?? No they don't. So you're pretty much the same, I don't see any difference between Spanish people and Chilean people: both mostly of Spanish ancestry, both disagree with the crimes of the past.

Why then are you innocent and those people/societies/nations/whatever are not??!

In pinguin's world all troubles and crimes in Latin America is created are commited by evil Europeans and/or evil Americans with European ancestry. It doesn't matter if the ancestors of the conquerors and colonists live in Latin America now, as long as you're born in Europe you bear all the guilt of everything bad in Latin America.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 12:04
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Leonidas

...good pick up. Also pinguin how would you describe the more recent conflict in Guatemala?

a particular quote from this resource tells the tale of a racist war conducted by Spanish speakers (supported by the USA) on the native Americans.

The Civil War in Guatemala was nothing particularly extraordinary in those dark days when the United States hijacked our militaries for its cause. They were trainned to torture and to kill in the infamous School of the Americas.
Millions died in all Latin America thanks to that gently influence of our "cousins" of the north, and the local militaries they bough.

Oh Lord, we love Sammy, our Uncle.

Rubbish, who else but you would blame the USA for what the Guatemalan Latino's did against the Mayans. If I give you a gun its my fault you pull the trigger! wtf? no way i would only shoulder some responsibility and only as helping not doing.

Did you even bother to read the material? This conflict was driven by class on one level but essentially was a war from (and resistance to) latino racist and voilent behaviour towards the natives. This isnt brutal conquistador stuff, its modern history and puts your heavily flawed and biassed position to shame.

again and again silly sweeping statements trip you up as a anti-western axe grinder..

Originally posted by Sparten

I think words like genocide and holocaust get thrown about too easily. These days, 2 people die; a bloodbath, 10; a massacre,  50; genocide.

When we say genocide, we are talking 0f 6 million Jews, 2 millions of Amerindians or 1 million tutsis. Not just 10 people.

the Taino the caribs?

Still the mayan in guatamala fit into that category very well. 200,000 thousand dead.

people targeted for who they were.

The record of the Guatemalan security forces was laid bare in a report released Feb. 25 by the Historical Clarification Commission, which grew out of the U.N.-sponsored peace process that ended the war in 1996. The commission said the Guatemalan military had committed "acts of genocide" during the conflict, in which 200,000 people died.

www.washingtonpost.com

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 00:50
Originally posted by Tyranos

There was no law to stop Europeans from going to the new world, moreover most Amerindians didnt have a concept of land ownership. Some of them fought, but they lost, Europeans won, and your a product of that Pinquin. Today they just use our own laws to make money from us, rather like Blacks do in the USA, or Jews from Germans ect. 

That could be your case, Tyranos.

In mine, I am the result of a tragical conflict between peoples. In here Indians didn't lose easy, and most Spanish soldiers died here than anywhere else in the Americas.
Even more, for us our main victory was to get rid of Spaniards!

In short, we consider ourself a different people from the first waves of Spanish that abussed of Amerindians.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 00:53
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

I bet CIA is building the favelas as well.

Favelas are the result of poverty in the region. Even though, Brazil today is rich if you compare the state on which was left by Portugal after Independence. Latin America in general has took two century to even start to left behind the impact of colonization.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 00:59
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

Those who did it. Not those who have nothing to do with the crimes. Those who did it are dead of course, so to get it out of your system you could, let's say, go and piss on their grave...what do you say?? Would it finally satisfy you?? Do you realize that but for them, you wouldn't be alive today?

Good point. Not all europeans at all are guilty of what happened here, but the European colonial powers.

With respect to our ancestors, I mean of the average Latin American, it is also true we consider ourselves descendents of criminals and victims. That's part of the way we accept ourselves.

The history is tragic and complex. Not all Europeans that came here were conquestador or Indian killers. In the first waves, the poors of Spain and Europe came here in mass and ended suffering as much as locals. Latin America was also a refuge for the wars of Europe, and hundred of millions descend of people that scape Europe to survive. So, our image of Europe has always being a troublesome place, and the origin of some very inhuman ideologies, like communism or nazism

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 01:03
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

In pinguin's world all troubles and crimes in Latin America is created are commited by evil Europeans and/or evil Americans with European ancestry. It doesn't matter if the ancestors of the conquerors and colonists live in Latin America now, as long as you're born in Europe you bear all the guilt of everything bad in Latin America.

Well, we include local colaborators in the gallery of bad guys as well LOL.

Besides, we don't consider all Europeans or Americans to be evil. Just some military and economic ambitious people that had made a mess in here.

Colonialism, either European or American has been the main evil in here. Including the shameful intervention of the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. during the cold war.

Edited by pinguin - 30-Jun-2008 at 01:04
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 01:16

Rubbish, who else but you would blame the USA for what the Guatemalan Latino's did against the Mayans. If I give you a gun its my fault you pull the trigger! wtf? no way i would only shoulder some responsibility and only as helping not doing.

Did you even bother to read the material? This conflict was driven by class on one level but essentially was a war from (and resistance to) latino racist and voilent behaviour towards the natives. This isnt brutal conquistador stuff, its modern history and puts your heavily flawed and biassed position to shame.

again and again silly sweeping statements trip you up as a anti-western axe grinder..

Well, if gringos founded the School of the Americas, and intervine in every civil war in the Americas during the last century, I have the right to suspect on them on this case as well.
After all, tell me how do you distinguish an Indian from a "White" Guatemalan?

They were and are the same people, even the upper class Guatemalans share the same blood. So the killing were politically motivated rather than racist killings.

Even in Argentina, 50.000 was killed during the Cold War. A conflict that was fought
 between the communists and the fascists, the later with the suport of the United States.

the Taino the caribs?

Still the mayan in guatamala fit into that category very well. 200,000 thousand dead.

people targeted for who they were.

The record of the Guatemalan security forces was laid bare in a report released Feb. 25 by the Historical Clarification Commission, which grew out of the U.N.-sponsored peace process that ended the war in 1996. The commission said the Guatemalan military had committed "acts of genocide" during the conflict, in which 200,000 people died.

Tainos and Caribs suffered a partial genocide, but also assimilated. The history is not very clear with the details, though. What is clear is that farmers in the Carib declared the extinction of Tainos a lot time before they were absorved into the general population. They did so they could import African slaves in mass, without the complain of the crown. Today, Amerindian blood in the Hispanic Caribbean is still important.

And of course in Guatemala there was a genocide, but motivated by politics and the battle between Uncle Sam versus the Red Bear.

It is unbelievable Americans got no idea how its country affects the world.

Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 11:35

Well, if gringos founded the School of the Americas, and intervine in every civil war in the Americas during the last century, I have the right to suspect on them on this case as well.

They were and are the same people, even the upper class Guatemalans share the same blood. So the killing were politically motivated rather than racist killings.

you may have a hard time since you cant read whats in front of you. The two sides don't belong to the one happy family and can easily be distinguished - language. One side doesn't speak Spanish. Apart from culture, geography and politics.

nor do comparisons to Argentina make any sense. I suggest you read up a little bit on Hispanics gone bad in Guatemala before you flog this off so cheaply. Nice try

i'll quote that source again (but ill do the whole section- my bolding)  just in case you missed it.

One of the most salient and divisive social constructs in Guatemala today is the issue of race. Ladinos (mestizo) make up approximately 40% and Native Americans make up the other 60% of the population. Ever since colonial times, Spaniards and Ladinos alike have subjected Native Americans to legal, social, political, and economic discrimination. Since these Maya cultures do not speak Spanish, ladino landowners often forcibly evict them from their plots of land and take over. Rigoberta Menchu herself describes how local plantation owners did this to her village community, forcing them to leave their land after tricking her father, an illiterate, Quiche-speaking village leader, into signing a document in Spanish binding the natives to leave the land after two years of occupation (Burgos-Debray, p.103-4). She also describes the blatant racism practiced against her and her family both in Guatemala city and the fincas (plantations). The ladinos (often assumed to be the agricultural elite, military, and government), cannot easily assimilate the Mayas into their culture because of the Mayas' deep commitment to preserving their own traditions. Despite the knowledge among the native peoples that to preserve and embrace their culture in Guatemala is synonymous with life-long suffering, destitution, death, hunger, and illness, they persevere as a community to maintain their practices through oral history and to reject most notions of ladino culture. One of the results of this internalized ethnic policy is that most Mayan parents refuse to send their children to public schools or to learn Spanish, because then their children become assimilated into Guatemalan culture and leave the community. Rigoberta Menchu's father, for example, did not want to send her to school even though he recognized that his daughter could learn important things there and increase her chances for happiness in life. He decided this because he said that children who go to public schools soon start dressing differently and trying to distance themselves from their Mayan communities. While this may preserve Mayan culture, it also passes down to new generations disenfranchisement through speechlessnes

but there's more! i'll now quote the other source so people can see laitinos can committ genocide based o their own home grown racism to.

The statements quoted in the Truth Commissions´ report are derived from military plans or manuals, and from newspapers. As the commissioners could not verify the extent to which these were programmatic and strategic statements, they decided to prove genocidal intent from the pattern of repressive acts. They found sufficient evidence of a systematic pattern of coordinated acts, which were committed with the intent to destroy Mayan groups.
page 14*

same page

Identifying the local population with the guerilla, the military first sought to kill community leaders. Increasingly, entire communities became target groups and massacres the cornerstone of repressive operations. The commission’s investigation revealed that a large number of children and women were direct victims of torture, rape, arbitrary execution, forced disappearance and massacres. Between 1981 and 1982, the military carried out scorched earth operations, often with helicopter support, killing community leaders, raping women, massacring entire communities, burning the field  and destroying sacred places. In the Ixil region, being one of the areas most affected by the scorched earth operations, between 70% and 90% of all communities were destroyed (the number is estimated, because the total number of communities had never been registered (CEH, Vol. III: 345, § 3311). According to the CEH, the percentage of Mayan victims was significantly higher than the percentage of the indigenous population in the regions analyzed: in the Ixil region, 97,8% of the victims were Maya (Rabinal: 98,8%, northern Huehuetenango: 99,3% and Zacualpa: 98,4%) (CEH, Vol. III: 417-418, § 3581).

*http://www.giga-hamburg.de/dl/download.php?d=/content/publikationen/pdf/wp19_oettler.pdf

same people its seesm can also be accessed here;
http://www.massviolence.org/Guatemala-The-State-of-Research?artpage=1#outil_sommaire_0

ShockedShocked

Edited by Leonidas - 30-Jun-2008 at 11:39
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 11:47

Even more, for us our main victory was to get rid of Spaniards!
In short, we consider ourself a different people from the first waves of Spanish that abussed of Amerindians.

So are the today's Europeans.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 11:48

Good point. Not all europeans at all are guilty of what happened here, but the European colonial powers.

And those don't exist either.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Jun-2008 at 12:03

I don't know, but since 85% of the victims were Indians, who are slightly less than half the population, I guess the army and kaibiles could somehow tell the difference.

You know that, I know that, but the people in charge during the genocide didn't know that. Racism is a delusion, so racists don't care about the facts anyway.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 05:16
There was lots of crimes during the Cold War, when fascists (allies of the U.S.A.) and communists (allies of the U.S.S.R.) fight each other in bloody civil wars.

What happened in Guatemala has to be understood in that context: the Cold War.

By the way, during the Cold War perhaps a million Latin Americans died in different conflicts, from the jungles of Colombia, to the killings of Shinning Path or the Argentinean dirty war.

Interpreting those conflicts under the light of European racism is just balloney.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 05:24

you may have a hard time since you cant read whats in front of you. The two sides don't belong to the one happy family and can easily be distinguished - language. One side doesn't speak Spanish. Apart from culture, geography and politics.

nor do comparisons to Argentina make any sense. I suggest you read up a little bit on Hispanics gone bad in Guatemala before you flog this off so cheaply. Nice try

i'll quote that source again (but ill do the whole section- my bolding)  just in case you missed it.

You explain it well. This  kind of conflicts exist in Latin America, but you should use the correct words. They aren't "racial" but "ethnic"conflicts.

What's the difference? For example, when South African blacks kill Black Africans immigrants, no matter how violent the conflict is, it is an "ethnic" conflict, because victims and victimaries belong to the same race.

The same happened in Guatemala.

In the U.S. is the opposite, two people of different races (Blacks and Whites) share the same culture. Conflicts there are racial. In Guatemala, Peru, Bolivia and other countries of the region the conflicts are ethnic (Cultural)

There you have two cultures side by side, Hispanic and Indigenous, and the conflicts are intercultural rather than racial. And the violence of the past was fueled by the Cold War and the inhuman ideologies of fascism (US) and communism (USSR) applied in the chess game that was Latin America.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 11:39
So when Ríos Montt said Mayans should be rounded up to live in model villages (=concentration camps) because they are naturally more naive, simple and childish and therefore more likely to fall for communism that had nothing to do with racism?

When Rigoberta Menchú recently was not allowed to enter an international conference in Cancún where she was invited to speak that had nothing to do with racism? If she was looking European and wearing western clothes surely the same would have happened?

And the fact that students in Guatemala with Mayan surnames have to change their names into Spanish surnames because otherwise there's no possibility they'll ever be admitted to a university has nothing to do with racism either?

And the fact that all through Latin America the indigenous are significantly poorer, receive less education, have less acces to healthcare, and overall have their rights respected less than mestizos and whites has nothing to do with racism either?

And the fact that half the population of Guatemala is Mayan but nonetheless there has never been a single indigenous president has nothing to do with racism either? That's just the Cold War surely?

And Bolivia, with a comparable percentage of indigenous, only just having their first indigenous president is also coincidence?

And today when white Bolivians are protesting agains the government because it 'smells like Indian' that's not racist either?

People denying racism is rampant in Latin America you're either blind, naive or racists themselves.

Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Jul-2008 at 19:04
Pinguin,

I've read your arguments in defense of your belief's, as well as your accusations towards the US or other European countries for the past & present difficulties in the region. I don't know exactly what to make of the evolution of your views towards this topic, to be honest?

So if i were to take your reasoning to it's eventual conclusions and reapply it in reverse towards the US or other European countries,  the conflicts between the natives and settlers should have been viewed all this time as one about "ethnicity and not racial" in the least. So that makes everything justifiably alright with no real victims in end! Wait a minute, WTF!! Am i missing something here? Then what his all this hoopla about victims and their rights been about over the last decade or so?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 05:10
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

So when Ríos Montt said Mayans should be rounded up to live in model villages (=concentration camps) because they are naturally more naive, simple and childish and therefore more likely to fall for communism that had nothing to do with racism?

When Rigoberta Menchú recently was not allowed to enter an international conference in Cancún where she was invited to speak that had nothing to do with racism? If she was looking European and wearing western clothes surely the same would have happened?

And the fact that students in Guatemala with Mayan surnames have to change their names into Spanish surnames because otherwise there's no possibility they'll ever be admitted to a university has nothing to do with racism either?

And the fact that all through Latin America the indigenous are significantly poorer, receive less education, have less acces to healthcare, and overall have their rights respected less than mestizos and whites has nothing to do with racism either?

And the fact that half the population of Guatemala is Mayan but nonetheless there has never been a single indigenous president has nothing to do with racism either? That's just the Cold War surely?

And Bolivia, with a comparable percentage of indigenous, only just having their first indigenous president is also coincidence?

And today when white Bolivians are protesting agains the government because it 'smells like Indian' that's not racist either?

People denying racism is rampant in Latin America you're either blind, naive or racists themselves.

Racism are conflicts between different races. Black Brazilians or Colombians can suffer racism in other parts of Latin America. Indians and mestizos, both are mixed. In many cases you can't distinguish who belong to a one or another group, at least you are informed. There are Indians that look white, and "Westerners" that look Indian. So, your charges of racism don't make much sense.

In this case we have discussing a different evil, which is ETHNIC discrimination.

The very fact that Indians change theirs names to Spanish, to escape discrimination clearly shows it is not easy to pick Indians in the melting pot that is Latin America, at least they "dress" as Indians, "speak" and Indigenous language or talk like Indians and carry Indigenous Last Names.

In other words, the conflict you describe -that exist- is not "racial" but ETHNIC.

As I explain it before, in the United States is the opposite. Blacks and White share the same culture, but the differencies are genetical between them, not ethnic.

Use the words and terms correctly, please, to continue the argument. As I say before, I don't deny ethnic conflicts exists between Indigenous and Europeized populations in Latin America.

Edited by pinguin - 05-Jul-2008 at 05:13
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 05:25
Originally posted by Panther

Pinguin,

I've read your arguments in defense of your belief's, as well as your accusations towards the US or other European countries for the past & present difficulties in the region. I don't know exactly what to make of the evolution of your views towards this topic, to be honest?

As a chilean citizen, I know both the U.S. and the U.S.S.R. played chess with us as theirs pawns. We hate them both for that and we won't forgive them. It cost us thousand of citizens dead and hundreds of thousand tortured and exiliated, when the fascist military gorillas of my country following the instructions of that fascist U.S. president called Nixon, put in power of my country that bloody rascal called Pinochet.

So, don't tell me I don't know what the superpowers have done in my region, or put all our faults upon ourselves alone.

Originally posted by Panther

So if i were to take your reasoning to it's eventual conclusions and reapply it in reverse towards the US or other European countries,  the conflicts between the natives and settlers should have been viewed all this time as one about "ethnicity and not racial" in the least. So that makes everything justifiably alright with no real victims in end! Wait a minute, WTF!! Am i missing something here? Then what his all this hoopla about victims and their rights been about over the last decade or so?

With respect to your doubts, you have to realize that Latin America broke free only in the 19th century. You can´t blame us about what happened when this land was in the claws of Spain.

Even though, since the beginning a large part of the Indian population allied and mixed with the Europeans in here. So racial differences went blured.

Insisting in racism is not knowing Latin America. Racism exist in here, but mainly to outsiders. Ethnic discrimination can be very strong as well, in all its forms: religious, linguistic, historical, etc.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Jul-2008 at 17:25

Racism are conflicts between different races. Black Brazilians or Colombians can suffer racism in other parts of Latin America. Indians and mestizos, both are mixed. In many cases you can't distinguish who belong to a one or another group, at least you are informed. There are Indians that look white, and "Westerners" that look Indian. So, your charges of racism don't make much sense.

In this case we have discussing a different evil, which is ETHNIC discrimination.

The very fact that Indians change theirs names to Spanish, to escape discrimination clearly shows it is not easy to pick Indians in the melting pot that is Latin America, at least they "dress" as Indians, "speak" and Indigenous language or talk like Indians and carry Indigenous Last Names.

In other words, the conflict you describe -that exist- is not "racial" but ETHNIC.

As I explain it before, in the United States is the opposite. Blacks and White share the same culture, but the differencies are genetical between them, not ethnic.

Use the words and terms correctly, please, to continue the argument. As I say before, I don't deny ethnic conflicts exists between Indigenous and Europeized populations in Latin America.

Modern biology does not recognize the existence of human races, if there needs to be an actual racial difference for racism to be possible all racism is ethnic discrimination, so using your definition racism is per definition impossible. And even if one still believes human races exist it doesn't hold: both Jews and Germans are 'white', so that would mean the Holocaust had nothing to do with racism, which would of course be a ridiculous claim.

Differences in 'blood' or 'genetics' do not really matter, what is important is that there is a percieved difference. In any case mestizos and criollos that 'ethnically discriminate' indigenous definately don't consider themselves to be of the same race as indigenous people. The argument that people with indigenous ancestors can't be racist because of their heritage doesn't hold either; for example there are many examples of antisemites with Jewish ancestor.

If there is an actual (racial) difference or not is irrelevant: if racists percieve the other as 'different' it has the same effects irregardless of the question if the other is indeed different or not. After all, delusions are what racism is based on.

Edited by Mixcoatl - 05-Jul-2008 at 17:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jul-2008 at 00:10

...Modern biology does not recognize the existence of human races, if there needs to be an actual racial difference for racism to be possible all racism is ethnic discrimination, so using your definition racism is per definition impossible.

Let's modern biologists to pray in the "Political correct" church. You very well know in the REAL world people is picky on external differences.

The point is simple. If a person looks different from the average of the group where it is, and stands in the crowd, chances are it's treated differently.

That's racism.

That's not what happens when a people speaks differently, use other cloths or have another religion. In those cases we have to speak about ethnic differences. Yugoslavia comes to my mind, or Rwanda.

Come on, don't your teachers teach that on where you live?

And even if one still believes human races exist it doesn't hold: both Jews and Germans are 'white', so that would mean the Holocaust had nothing to do with racism, which would of course be a ridiculous claim.

Good point. The fact that Germans forced theirs victims use the Star of David is a proof there there wasn't differences in race. The holocaust was actually and ethnic crime against people of a slightly different culture and traditions.

I never said the ethnic discrimination is "softer" than racism. Classism is a form of ethnic discrimination, for instance, and is really tough.

Differences in 'blood' or 'genetics' do not really matter, what is important is that there is a percieved difference.

So? I just asked to you to pick the RIGHT words. Racism is not the right word in this case, no matter it is "in fashion"

In any case mestizos and criollos that 'ethnically discriminate' indigenous definately don't consider themselves to be of the same race as indigenous people. The argument that people with indigenous ancestors can't be racist because of their heritage doesn't hold either; for example there are many examples of antisemites with Jewish ancestor.

Hate against Indigenous people is rooted in the hate to another culture. Indians are hated by some because they speak languages that are considered "primitive", have a so called "backwards" lifestyle, etc. In the case of Jews, hate comes because they practise a different religion. That hate in particular was fueled by the Christian churches during centuries, so it is no wonder all the crimes that follow.

If there is an actual (racial) difference or not is irrelevant: if racists percieve the other as 'different' it has the same effects irregardless of the question if the other is indeed different or not. After all, delusions are what racism is based on.

They aren't. Any four year old kid can classify people in races, and discrimination is widespread in different hypocryte societies of the developed world.

Now, bring the same four year old kid to Latin America and ask him to classify people in races.... With the exception of some small minoritary groups, he will have a hard time to do that job. Particularly when ask to separate Europeans from Mestizos and Indians.

First, nobody wears labels in Latin America that say "I am European", "I am Castizo", "I am Mestizo" or "I am Indigenous". Even if they did, chances are they are wrong about what they really are. The truth is nobody knows who is in Latin America and most are wrong about theirs origins! LOL

I have spoke with many "Indian" friends in my country, and all of them have some European ancestors these days. The same is true for the "white" people here.  
Besides, people don't realize that many Europeans look Indigenous, even if they have never been in the Americas LOL. And don't realize either that some Indigenous people look European.

Good luck with racism in Latin America.

For ethnic devides, yes, there are ethnic divides in some countries of Latin America. Particularly notorious are the case of Mexico, Peru and Bolivia, where two people live side by side.

But don't forget that Subcommander Marcos in Chiapas was -I am afraid- a white man. Even Rigoberta Menchu has some Europeans in the family tree as well.

Edited by pinguin - 06-Jul-2008 at 00:26
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789>