Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancestoral blame and moral judgements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>
Author
cola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancestoral blame and moral judgements
    Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 18:10
Originally posted by pinguin

Let's try one more time, something that I have already said:
(1) Spain is a country and a people. As you can see, I blame that country decisions of the past, not the people or government of today.

So now you are blaming Imperial Spain'sdecisions and its settlers...

(2) Is impossible to blame South Americans for crimes made by our Spanish ancestors on our Native Ancestors. You cannot punish the left hand for what it did on your right hand. We are both the Spanish and the Indians simultaneously. Don't you get it?

Oh I get it alright. So you must get it that as you are blaming the "Spain of the past" you areactually blaming your ancestors.
NottheconstitutionalmonarchyofSpain.

Keep it real
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 18:49
There are some situations where it is impossible to address past injustices beyond acknowledging past errors, such like the many cases that people opposed to this idea have brought up. So it is pretty hard to get the Roman Empire to indemize the Gauls in France.

However, there are cases where crimes that modern countries that still exist to this day still affect people who live to this day. Moreover, in some cases the countries are still benefiting from past crimes. Then some kind of redress should be considered. Such as with the situation of Chile and its Native Americans.

I will respectfully disagree with Pinguin. In Latin America, your geneological tree is not the most important aspect that determines ethnicity. To put it more bluntly, Mestizos, or mixed Indian and Spaniards, are not the same as Native Americans.

The modern mestizos or criollos that run Latin America happen to be the group that commits crimes againsts Native Americans and benefit from them.

The modern Latin American states, like Chile or Mexico, should redress the constant crimes that they commit against Native Americans.

They should not be put in a cultural reserve since they are not a dying species. These are cultures that have survived 500 years of colonization. They don't need any help to survive.

What they do need is justice in a dignified manner. That means that in Mexico existing groups should be granted legal autonomy. In Chile, the Chilean government should give back the stolen land given to Germans.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 19:10
In Chile, the Chilean government should give back the stolen land given to Germans.

Not without irony, but way to be an 'indian giver'. Those german settlers legitamately have claim to the lands they occupy. Certainly the Chilean government stole the land from the Mapuche but they gave that land to the Germans. It would be like someone stealing a car and giving it to you, and then you find out 5 years later it's stolen and you have to give it back. Meanwhile all this time you've worked and repaired the car, put in a new radio, etc. and now their telling you it's not your car, when you've obviously put more effort into improving it. That doesn't seem very fair either.

The modern mestizos or criollos that run Latin America happen to be the group that commits crimes againsts Native Americans and benefit from them.

This reminds me of the story of Liberia, where former US black slaves went to Monrovia and proceeded to oppress the local African minorities forming a caste system of American blacks on the top and African blacks on the bottom. This goes to show what may be moral in one persons eyes is immoral in anothers.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 19:16
Originally posted by hugoestr

I will respectfully disagree with Pinguin. In Latin America, your geneological tree is not the most important aspect that determines ethnicity. To put it more bluntly, Mestizos, or mixed Indian and Spaniards, are not the same as Native Americans.

That's true. But single out the rich criollos, who are the people that own the land and logging companies, and also SOME German descendents (in the case of Mapuches).

The modern Latin American states, like Chile or Mexico, should redress the constant crimes that they commit against Native Americans.

Absolutely. Include Latin America and Canada in the pack as well, and I will absolutely agree Wink

They should not be put in a cultural reserve since they are not a dying species. These are cultures that have survived 500 years of colonization. They don't need any help to survive.

What they do need is justice in a dignified manner. That means that in Mexico existing groups should be granted legal autonomy. In Chile, the Chilean government should give back the stolen land given to Germans.

I agree with the second part. I dissagree that the Indian culture isn't dying. It is. At least the states do something with streght, it is very likely languages and cultures will finally dissapear in some decades. We should do something to stop extreme assimilation. I propose to teach an elective Indian language to every single Chilean kid, so in that way we ensure to preserve at least those tongues.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 19:19
Originally posted by JanusRook

In Chile, the Chilean government should give back the stolen land given to Germans.

Not without irony, but way to be an 'indian giver'. Those german settlers legitamately have claim to the lands they occupy. Certainly the Chilean government stole the land from the Mapuche but they gave that land to the Germans. It would be like someone stealing a car and giving it to you, and then you find out 5 years later it's stolen and you have to give it back. Meanwhile all this time you've worked and repaired the car, put in a new radio, etc. and now their telling you it's not your car, when you've obviously put more effort into improving it. That doesn't seem very fair either.

Yes. It is a difficult issue indeed. That's why It hasn't been fully solved after decades of effort. The Chilean state has invested quite a lot in buying lands back and in developing small business for Mapuches, but there is a lot more to do. Besides, certainly violent groups exists that complicate matters even more. There are a couple of German settlers in Mapuche territories that have suffered arson and shootings several times.

The problem goes on.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jan-2008 at 19:55

The modern mestizos or criollos that run Latin America happen to be the
group that commits crimes againsts Native Americans and benefit from
them.
This reminds me of the story of Liberia, where former US black slaves went to Monrovia and proceeded to oppress the local African minorities forming a caste system of American blacks on the top and African blacks on the bottom. This goes to show what may be moral in one persons eyes is immoral in anothers.

Hi, Janus,

You know what? If I buy a stolen good, unknown to me, the government may just take it away from me and give it to the legitimate owner. It sucks, but that is right.

Moreover, if I squat on land in the U.S., I can improve it all what I want, and it is still not mine. It may not be fair, but it wasn't fair of me to settle in the land in the first place.

Also, my understanding was that it was given to Geman companies, not German immigrants. In that situation it is like the U.S. leasing land to a corporation to exploit the land. Those leases expire or can be revoked. If necessary, the lands can be bought back to be given to the legitimate owners.

Your second point is strange, since my point is that opression is opression, no mater who is doing it. That applies to all people.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 05:19
It sucks, but that is right.

Not so fast "right" is a moral judgment which is subjective. Personally I don't think that is right. It is legal however, and not everything that's legal is right.

Also, my understanding was that it was given to Geman companies, not German immigrants. In that situation it is like the U.S. leasing land to a corporation to exploit the land. Those leases expire or can be revoked. If necessary, the lands can be bought back to be given to the legitimate owners.

Oh, okay that changes everything then, see in my head I imagined old wild west style ranchers and homesteaders settling land that the Chilean sold to individuals.

Your second point is strange, since my point is that opression is opression, no mater who is doing it. That applies to all people.

I'm sorry my point was making that "giving back" land to "oppressed peoples" can lead to the opposite of what a "moral authority" set out to do. Thus by giving the Mapuches back the former lands you could yield a worse result.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jan-2008 at 21:03

Oh, okay that changes everything then, see in my head I imagined old wild west style ranchers and homesteaders settling land that the Chilean sold to individuals.

Well, in these times, ranchers practically don't exist in Chile. There are small farmers, yes, but also larger farm lands which very are mechanized and all is oriented to the agroindustry. Remember that Chile produce lots of fruits, vegetables and derivates to export worldwide. The Mapuche territories are not really farming lands but wood lands where large pulp manufacturing companies plant threes. There are small propietaries but few. The main problem is then between Mapuches and the paper manufacturing companies who got a lot of money and are chilean owned. Some few small German landowners are cought in between.

I'm sorry my point was making that "giving back" land to "oppressed peoples" can lead to the opposite of what a "moral authority" set out to do. Thus by giving the Mapuches back the former lands you could yield a worse result.

In this case in particular, the state acknowledge lands have to be given back to Mapuche comunities, and there are resources address to do exactly that. However, the problem is there is never enough money and land to do so. It is a problem that will take decades to solve even with good will. But Mapuches are fighting for rights they have.

Edited by pinguin - 23-Jan-2008 at 21:05
Serge L View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Serge L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Feb-2008 at 20:07

It sucks, but that is right.

Not so fast "right" is a moral judgment which is subjective. Personally I don't think that is right. It is legal however, and not everything that's legal is right.

Actually, some countries where the law derives from Roman Codes (mine, for instance), makes provision of "usucaption", according to which after a certain (usually long) time, the guy who invalidly bought the stolen car becomes the legal car owner.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 12:21
Unfortunately, despite my very convincing letter I wrote Wink, Kevin Rudd just recently apologised for the Australian nation to the Aboriginal people. While I agree wrongs were committed in the past, I believe the concept of ancestral blame is nonsense. An apology made by anyone other than the person responsible is meaningless. Not only this, but by apologising he just made modern Australia 'accountable' in the eyes of the public.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Feb-2008 at 01:01
Originally posted by Zaitsev

Unfortunately, despite my very convincing letter I wrote Wink, Kevin Rudd just recently apologised for the Australian nation to the Aboriginal people. While I agree wrongs were committed in the past, I believe the concept of ancestral blame is nonsense. An apology made by anyone other than the person responsible is meaningless. Not only this, but by apologising he just made modern Australia 'accountable' in the eyes of the public.

On the contrary. Australia was already and for a long time 'accountable' in the eyes of the public worlwide, because the tragic past of the colonization and contact with the Aboriguines.

What your PM Kevin Rudd did it was very noble, and make people think he is a great man, and that Australia it is a mature and responsable country that acknowledge the mistakes of the past.

Odin View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Odin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 16:06
I reject the whole concept of collective guilt, period. A German born in 1945 cannot be held responsible for the Holocaust. Living Euro-Americans are not responsible for the atrocities our ancestors inflicted on the Native Americans and Africans. What is past is past, we should not be pointing fingers and blaming modern people for the sins of their ancestors. Instead we should be asking "where do we go from here?"
"Of the twenty-two civilizations that have appeared in history, nineteen of them collapsed when they reached the moral state the United States is in now."

-Arnold J. Toynbee
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 16:21
Originally posted by Odin

I reject the whole concept of collective guilt, period. A German born in 1945 cannot be held responsible for the Holocaust. Living Euro-Americans are not responsible for the atrocities our ancestors inflicted on the Native Americans and Africans. What is past is past, we should not be pointing fingers and blaming modern people for the sins of their ancestors. Instead we should be asking "where do we go from here?"

Individuals may be innocent of the crimes of the past, but societies aren't.
The government that exterminated American indians is the same that exist today. In the case of the holocaust, the society is still the same that existed 60 years ago.
Slayertplsko View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 16:25

Originally posted by Odin

Individuals may be innocent of the crimes of the past, but societies aren't.
The government that exterminated American indians is the same that exist today. In the case of the holocaust, the society is still the same that existed 60 years ago.

No it isn't the same. The particular ruler, who maybe gave orders, maybe not is looong dead.
And Spain is a constitutional monarchy today, so the government is different. In fact, it changes every few years.

And I've got a question if you don't mind: which native American tribe do you come from?
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 16:26

In the case of the holocaust, the society is still the same that existed 60 years ago.

No it isn't. Do you have even a slightest idea how ashamed those people feel?? I know a few Germans myself and speak their language.

Edited by Slayertplsko - 23-Jun-2008 at 16:27
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 16:30
And one more question. If you say that individuals are innocent but societies aren't, then who's gonna pay it?Wink...The individuals are innocent so their taxes are to remain untouched.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 17:06
Originally posted by Slayertplsko

No it isn't. Do you have even a slightest idea how ashamed those people feel?? I know a few Germans myself and speak their language.

Why to blame Germans only for a crime that was the product of European mentality as a whole? Racism and racial supremacy wasn't invented in germany but it was the result of the colonialist mentality. After all, pogroms and genocides of Jews and other minorities were a tradition in Europe since the Middle Age. Besides many other crimes Europeans practised during centuries.

In my oppinion the "shame" must be shared by all Europeans.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 17:13

... And I've got a question if you don't mind: which native American tribe do you come from?

As all Chileans of the central valley of the Aconcagua, I have Picunche ancestry, but not exclusively.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 17:19

And one more question. If you say that individuals are innocent but societies aren't, then who's gonna pay it?Wink...The individuals are innocent so their taxes are to remain untouched.

Pay for what? Of course certain reparations can be made with surviving people in marginal conditions. But how you pay for those millions of people Europeans killed and that left no descendents?

Of course, Europeans have not been the single genocidal people in the planet. Perhaps mongolians have the record.

Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Slayertplsko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jun-2008 at 19:31

Pay for what? Of course certain reparations can be made with surviving people in marginal conditions. But how you pay for those millions of people Europeans killed and that left no descendents?

Of course, Europeans have not been the single genocidal people in the planet. Perhaps mongolians have the record.

Then, what do you want those countries to do??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 9>