Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Ancestoral blame and moral judgements

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ancestoral blame and moral judgements
    Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 18:13
Originally posted by cola

This doesent make any sense.
How can the state of Spain be held accountable for the conquest of south america if most of the spaniards' , living in Spain, ancestors in fact stayed in Spain. 
Shouldnt the people who are decendants of the settlers who left to south america be held accountable what happened there.
So it would be states like say Chile who should be held accountable what happened there.

Actually, It makes sense that Bolivia demands Spain because of the robbery of Silver. They took literalily a mountain of silver in Potosi to fuel Spain and European economy. A money that also served the church to build theirs barroque arquitecture. We demand Europeans blew up those churches and ruturn the silver to Bolivia! Or just send them the value in cash that is circa 200 billion dollars of today's money Wink

Now, in the case of Chile, the state is accountable for everything that happened after 1810. Before that, the responsability belongs to Spain.

Edited by pinguin - 19-Jan-2008 at 18:14
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 18:23
Originally posted by Paul

Hypocrite!

And a fraction of a percent doesn't really count. Otherwise half the population of Spain can go to Chille tomorrow to evict Chileans from their lands.

Mari Mari Peñi Lonko LOL (hello brother moderator):

Hey Paul, why do you react that way insulting me? I bet If I did that to you I would be suspended or expelled of this forum. Please, preach with the example.

Now on topic.

Most of the people of Chile are mestizo. "European" descendents have Indian blood and Indian people have European blood. South America is not like the U.S., where in the past "apparheid" polices prevented people to mix. In here, if the girl is pretty, the fellows won't ask them about theirs ancestry or ask her to take a DNA analysis to trace her genetical originis LOL. And Indian girls are pretty, I tell you Wink

Now, I live in a part of the country that was under foreign dominion (Inca) when the Spanish arrived. In here there was a massive mix of Europeans with Picunches (Northern Mapuces), Quechuas, Diaguitas and other groups. Everybody mixed, so much that the 80% of the mtDNA is Amerindian! So, don't come here to tell me my people (these mestizos with a large European component), don't belong to here, because WE DO.

Edited by pinguin - 19-Jan-2008 at 18:23
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 19:13
Hey Paul, why do you react that way insulting me? I bet If I did that to you I would be suspended or expelled of this forum. Please, preach with the example.
Paul isn't a Moderator at all, and no penguin, you wouldn't be banned.

My personnal opinion on this is no, we shouldn't be held responcible. I didn't pull the trigger so to speak, and I had no part in it. In fact, I think it's racism to ask for something from another state since it's about benefitting one people of a race. Right now the US has laws where Native Americans don't have to pay taxes and get free schooling and college. But how many generations does it take before this responcibility is lifted. We can not change the past, we weren't apart of it, so why does it have to fall on us?
I'd rather put money towards the good of the nation then towards the good of a certain people who didn't expierence the past like the rest of us. Their mentallity is just as different as ours from our ancestors, we aren't the same people.
Times change, the longer you let a problem linger, the worse it gets. And if you give alittle, more will be wanted.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 19:43
Originally posted by pinguin

Hypocrite!

And a fraction of a percent doesn't really count. Otherwise half the population of Spain can go to Chille tomorrow to evict Chileans from their lands.

Mari Mari Peñi Lonko LOL (hello brother moderator):

Now on topic.

Most of the people of Chile are mestizo. "European" descendents have Indian blood and Indian people have European blood. South America is not like the U.S., where in the past "apparheid" polices prevented people to mix. In here, if the girl is pretty, the fellows won't ask them about theirs ancestry or ask her to take a DNA analysis to trace her genetical originis LOL. And Indian girls are pretty, I tell you Wink

Now, I live in a part of the country that was under foreign dominion (Inca) when the Spanish arrived. In here there was a massive mix of Europeans with Picunches (Northern Mapuces), Quechuas, Diaguitas and other groups. Everybody mixed, so much that the 80% of the mtDNA is Amerindian! So, don't come here to tell me my people (these mestizos with a large European component), don't belong to here, because WE DO.

Ah now we see Pinguin's logic. Everyone in Chile takes a DNA test. The ones that don't fit the bill? Well we can deny them thier property, tell them they're not Chilean enough..... make em were yellow stars to single them out!

Edited by Paul - 19-Jan-2008 at 19:44
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 23:07

...Ah now we see Pinguin's logic. Everyone in Chile takes a DNA test. The ones that don't fit the bill? Well we can deny them thier property, tell them they're not Chilean enough..... make em were yellow stars to single them out!

It is not Pinguin's logic but Hispanic American logic. In our culture we don't like racial minorities, particularly from immigrants. In our mentality, people has the "duty" to mix or go. With respect to culture, those people has to addopt ours or leave. So it is very hard to find second or third generations of foreigners in here without mixing.

Simple.

With respect to Amerindians, besides having some of theirs ancestral genetics, we addopted in part theirs culture as well. That's not a mistery. And that's why many Chileans of "European" stock knows Mapuche language. Got it?

In short: those attitude come from nationalism. For us, our land and our people is the most important of all. We don't want collections of minorities but people that contribute to make our countries better

Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 01:29
No body should be paying reparations, least of all White people born today.
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 02:59

...Ah now we see Pinguin's logic. Everyone in Chile takes a DNA test. The ones that don't fit the bill? Well we can deny them thier property, tell them they're not Chilean enough..... make em were yellow stars to single them out!

It is not Pinguin's logic but Hispanic American logic. In our culture we don't like racial minorities, particularly from immigrants. In our mentality, people has the "duty" to mix or go. With respect to culture, those people has to addopt ours or leave. So it is very hard to find second or third generations of foreigners in here without mixing.

Simple.

With respect to Amerindians, besides having some of theirs ancestral genetics, we addopted in part theirs culture as well. That's not a mistery. And that's why many Chileans of "European" stock knows Mapuche language. Got it?

In short: those attitude come from nationalism. For us, our land and our people is the most important of all. We don't want collections of minorities but people that contribute to make our countries better

1. There have been two other Hispanic Americans on this forum. Jalisco Lancer and Hugo, neither have shown any prejudice towards racial minorities or dumb arse nationalism, it's only you who trying to justify it. You seem to be trying to tar others with your brush to excuse your personal bigotry.

2. So the redistribution of the wealth in Chile, who gets it? And who loses it?

Edited by Paul - 20-Jan-2008 at 03:10

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 03:32
And in practical terms, aboriginal peoples where those that lived in the Americans, Australia, Africa, Siberia and the Pacific BEFORE the European colonization.

You know there is a well founded theory based on dna markers in some Algonquin peoples and based on common design in Solutrean and Clovis point spearheads that Europeans may have colonized America before the Asians did, traveling much as the Inuit in kayaks across the atlantic ice shelf.

Fellow. Amerindian populations were hit by the ephidemics, but they weren't exterminated by them at all.

Yes they were, at least in North America, there were stories DeSoto's men brought back of thriving villages in the Mississippi River Valleys numbering hundreds of people. When LaSalle returned a hundred years later, all of these major villages had been abandoned. How could this have been a genocide when there was a hundred years distance between the next white traveler, the answer is diseases wiped out the natives in the region not invaders.

South America is not like the U.S., where in the past "apparheid" polices prevented people to mix.

In the US there are 4.1 million people listed as being Native American and at least another 4 million claim to have Indian ancestry, so it's not like there wasn't mixing in North America, in fact if you consider Latin American immigrants that number rises even higher, also Indian marriages were high in the Colonial Northeast as well as the Midwest. Also the Indian population concentrations in America were far less than much of Latin America so since they had less indians to begin with of course there is going to be less intermarriage.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 03:40
I bet If I did that to you I would be suspended or expelled of this forum. Please, preach with the example.

I'm going to start by saying I'm speaking as a moderator here. First off pinguin this is not a warning towards you, this is more of a general to the assembled masses post. Please everyone refrain from acting as if you know the rules of the forum, because in reality unless you are listed as a moderator you don't. The rules we give are listed as guidelines and we are pretty sure of how we like to apply the rules, not unfairly biased against any poster because believe it or not not all of the mods agree on any one action, however as a community we act unilaterally.

Also listed in our guidelines is that we do not solicit opinions as to how this board should be run and what actions should be taken against the actions of other posters. This is handled under private messaging, even if given as a jest us moderators do not find it funny and we would prefer you either direct it to our attention in a private message.

And Pinguin Paul would not get in trouble for calling you a hypocrite because that isn't a derogatory term in itself. You are not being belittled by being called a hypocrite, you are being challenged. Challenged to express your opinion in a way that does not make you come across as a hypocrite. And it is up to you to prove that without belittling Paul or anyone else. Again your posts are fine at this point you just need to be willing to allow a bit more criticism on your posts.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 04:23
Originally posted by Tyranos

No body should be paying reparations, least of all White people born today.

As a said before, in the case of Native American Nations, theirs business is with the National states and not with the rest of the civilians.
In the case of the descendents of slaves, that's another matter I am not authorized to talk because -unlike the native issues- that is a problem I just see in the movies.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 04:29

1. There have been two other Hispanic Americans on this forum. Jalisco Lancer and Hugo, neither have shown any prejudice towards racial minorities or dumb arse nationalism, it's only you who trying to justify it. You seem to be trying to tar others with your brush to excuse your personal bigotry.

Nor Jalisco or Hugo are Chileans, fellow Wink
The attitude I tried to describe is quite common in here, in South America. Racial minorities comming from immigrants doesn't make sense if you have a policy that allows free admixture. In other words, the daughter of those Chinese immigrants that just arrived yesterday to open a China food restaurant, will marry almost certainly (95% of the cases) with a local guy-

Redistribution of wealth in Chile? There is a problem there, of course, just like in the United States.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 04:39
Originally posted by JanusRook

You know there is a well founded theory based on dna markers in some Algonquin peoples and based on common design in Solutrean and Clovis point spearheads that Europeans may have colonized America before the Asians did, traveling much as the Inuit in kayaks across the atlantic ice shelf.

I doubt about that theory. However, if true theirs descendents also are Native Americans. The point is not if Amerindians came from Asia, Europe or Australia. What really matters is that they were in the Western Hemisphere before everybody else.

Yes they were, at least in North America, there were stories DeSoto's men brought back of thriving villages in the Mississippi River Valleys numbering hundreds of people. When LaSalle returned a hundred years later, all of these major villages had been abandoned. How could this have been a genocide when there was a hundred years distance between the next white traveler, the answer is diseases wiped out the natives in the region not invaders.

That's the recording of a very specific event that doesn't say much about the whole picture. How many people lived in those villages? There were 4 villages with 300 people each? They moved away? Nobody knows. In shorts it doesn't prove anything about demography.
If you want to study the impact of disseases you should read the records in Mexico and Peru, where native populations were heavely hitten. In none population dissapeared, and the events were as much destructive as the Black Death in Europe. As you also know, the Black Death in Europe killed 1/3 of that population and took a century for them to recover theirs numbers. Something similar happened to the Amerindians. As you know, Mexico and Peru are countries are majoritary Amerindian even today.

South America is not like the U.S., where in the past "apparheid" polices prevented people to mix.

In the US there are 4.1 million people listed as being Native American and at least another 4 million claim to have Indian ancestry, so it's not like there wasn't mixing in North America, in fact if you consider Latin American immigrants that number rises even higher, also Indian marriages were high in the Colonial Northeast as well as the Midwest. Also the Indian population concentrations in America were far less than much of Latin America so since they had less indians to begin with of course there is going to be less intermarriage.

Yes, your numbers are correct and that is what I know as well about the topic.

My critic with U.S. history, though, is that they are usually pushed at the corner as a minority more, when the study of them and the history of intermarriage should be central to the history of the United States.

I just complain that Americans are not as proud as we are about the Amerindian past.

That's the feeling I have from the distance, of course.

cola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 14:30

Actually, It makes sense that Bolivia demands Spain because of the robbery of Silver. They took literalily a mountain of silver in Potosi to fuel Spain and European economy. A money that also served the church to build theirs barroque arquitecture. We demand Europeans blew up those churches and ruturn the silver to Bolivia! Or just send them the value in cash that is circa 200 billion dollars of today's money Wink

Now, in the case of Chile, the state is accountable for everything that happened after 1810. Before that, the responsability belongs to Spain.

You master the way of witty humooor.
You really didnt make any more sense. You just gave one single event and didnt eaven try to question the logic of the post. So I will ask again. On what groundsis the modern state of Spain held accountable for what the monarchs of the Spanish empire decided. 
Eaven if you appeal to the ancestorial blame you have to recoqnize that in fact they were the ancestors of modern day south americans who were doing the "wrong doings".
Keep it real
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 14:35
I answer you very clearly. Don't you know the King of Spain was invited by Evo Morales when he took power?

Spain is very beloved by Hispanic peoples, and the King, particularly, is involved in many humanitarian causes with the Amerindians.

No matter that, Spain is responsable for what it did in the Americas. Who else can be blamed for?

Hispanics are in peace with Spain simply because we have a war of Independence with Spain and we get them out of here. We won, they lost, and afterwars both parties reconciliated. Period. Spain was forgiven but the events weren't forgotten.

cola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 15:59

I answer you very clearly. Don't you know the King of Spain was invited by Evo Morales when he took power?

Spain is very beloved by Hispanic peoples, and the King, particularly, is involved in many humanitarian causes with the Amerindians.

The population of Bolivia is over 8 000 000 and the population density is 8 per square kilometer. Spain on the other hand is known for its sunny beaches and its capitol Madrid is located in: 40° 24' N, 3° 41' W

No matter that, Spain is responsable for what it did in the Americas. Who else can be blamed for?

Hispanics are in peace with Spain simply because we have a war of Independence with Spain and we get them out of here. We won, they lost, and afterwars both parties reconciliated. Period. Spain was forgiven but the events weren't forgotten.

The relevant part of your post to this discussion is mostly consisted of a blatant question "Who else can be blamed" which can be seen as some form of backing up of your argument. Do you think this backing up is adequate to rightly judge a whole nation?
You dont seem to accept the fact that the people who wronged Amerindians are in fact the ancestors of modern day south americans. 
So you try to roll the blame on modern day state of Spain because it is the successor to the spanish empire. Do you know what populism means?

So according to this kind of hereditary guilt it should first and foremost fall on south americans them selves not the modern day spaniards wouldnt you agree?
Just for the sake of argument I my self cannot beging to understand how some one thinks that this kind of ancestorial blame should exist.
Keep it real
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 16:26

Nope. I don't agree at all because a difference in historical events with other societies (like British or Portuguese colonies, for example) that you don't get. For instance, most of Hispanic America was at theirs actual limits at those times, unlike the British colonies or in Brazil, for example, where the expansion to the west was the responsability of Americans and Brazilians respectively.

At the time of Independence, the people of Hispanic America was already mixed. And it was that mixed people who got rid of Spaniards for Good. Spain is accountable for the crimes of the conquest and the robbery of silver and gold in the Americas, not us.

In fact, in Hispanic America everybody blame Spaniards for what they did, although they are already forgiven. That's part of our more basic axioms to understand our reality.

Edited by pinguin - 20-Jan-2008 at 16:28
cola View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote cola Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 17:00
Does it eaven bother you to see how inconsistent and full of double standards your posts have been on this topic?

Let me get this clear.
According to you the modern day south americans are not to be held accountable  though some of their ancestors treated the natives injustly.
The people who are to be held accountable for the injustices are of course none other than the modern day spaniards, whose ancestors did not migrate to south america and did not treat the native americans injustly or rather treat them at all.
And nowadays this lack of injust treatment towards the native americans is forgiven but not forgotten?
Keep it real
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 18:40
It is very sad what happened but the Indians were not the first to be conquered or lose their lands. I know tribes pushed out tribes in North America. For Spain to have to pay back reparations is silly. I do not expect the Ottoman Turks to give my family reparations for the land they lost in the 1920's and that was much more recent. I really doubt if Spain would do it since it could bankrupt them.
I do have Iriquois ancestry on my father's side but not enough to count.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στÏατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθεÏία σας θα ε
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 18:57
I doubt about that theory.

Doubt all you want it is taking hold.

What really matters is that they were in the Western Hemisphere before everybody else.

No the point is who occupied which land first, if that's the case then I'm making a claim on portions of the Indo-European Homeland, and perhaps East Africa, the point is who occupies the land currently is the one with the most legitimate claim, no matter the results of your predecessors actions it is how you conduct yourself that determines the morality of such a claim.

That's the recording of a very specific event that doesn't say much about the whole picture. How many people lived in those villages? There were 4 villages with 300 people each? They moved away? Nobody knows. In shorts it doesn't prove anything about demography.

These were villages that numbered in the thousands, I don't have my source currently (it is on loan) but once I get it back I'll post more exact numbers. And why would a people just "move away" from some of the richest land in all of North America, if they weren't decimated by disease, also the fact is not all "moved away" but the surviving villages were drastically reduced.

In none population dissapeared, and the events were as much destructive as the Black Death in Europe. As you also know, the Black Death in Europe killed 1/3 of that population and took a century for them to recover theirs numbers.

Yes but it wasn't like one black death spread across America, it was a neverending cascade of disease in sequence. Okay so smallpox destroys half the population, five years later measles destroys the remaining half, five years later the flu destroys another half. After running the gamut of Europe's most prolific diseases certainly a lot more Americans died than is normally attested.

My critic with U.S. history, though, is that they are usually pushed at the corner as a minority more, when the study of them and the history of intermarriage should be central to the history of the United States.

No it shouldn't thanks to disease and English colonial practices indians were always seen as the "others" and "those that stand in the way of progress". Important events between indians and Americans are well documented in US history such as the French and Indian Wars and the Trail of Tears, but other than that indians really take a back seat role in American history, there are just many many more Americans of Old World descent that played a larger role in the US's history than indians who did.

I just complain that Americans are not as proud as we are about the Amerindian past.

Every person I've met with "indian blood" is very proud of their native heritage, it's just common sense your proud of the actions of your ancestors as you should be, indians have just been squeezed out by migratory europeans that's all.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 18:58
Originally posted by Pinguin

Doesn't explain how you want to do it in Chile. You keep bringing this up post after post. The second someone asks you to elaborate you run and hide.

How will the redistribution of the wealth work in Chile?

Edited by Paul - 20-Jan-2008 at 18:58

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 9>