Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Heathen, Infidel, Kaffir

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Heathen, Infidel, Kaffir
    Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 15:37
Most wide-spread religions today in their essence are very humanist.

However, there unfortunately among the elite of the religous establishments there have traditionally been power hungry despots who treat religion as an example of their superiority over other humans.

I would like to adress these points;

- Most people follow a faith because their parents did
 - Most people are born into a faith
 - Most people arn't puritanical extremists
 - Most people don't have a burning desire to hunt down and kill the heathen, infidel, kaffir

However, there are alot of religous intellects, even those who would describe themselves as being humanist who refer to people of other faiths as "Infidels", just because they follow another religion.

Religion is used by these people with a superiority complex, "we are better more civllised advanced humans because of our understanding of religion in comparison to yours".

If we look at the major prophets, they expressed clear humanist ideals, they were not extremists, did not hate people of other faiths and their message was for humanity.

I feel the problem of religion today is that it has been hijacked by power hungry people convinced of their spiritual superiority and missing out on the true message.

The essence of major religions teaches we were all created by the creater and worship the creater.

Now, if we were all created and we all are equal, we shouldn't be condemned because we happened to be born into a family following religion a or b.

There would be more understanding if people of different religion accepted, we all believe in a creater, we have different interpretations but the main belief is a shared one.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 16:31

A kinder and more gentle world Baba Bulldog?

Competition runs rampant in the human capacity toward survival. Relgion seems to fit that mold. Each religion has its self righteous doctrines. Being as nonjudgemental as possible and still carrying on with courteous interfaith dialogue could help spread a notion of  'understanding' and acceptance. Smile

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 22:20
Inshallah Smile

I just can't understand how religions which have such beautiful teachings and wise prophets can have people claiming to be arent followers even spiritual leaders who actually believe that people can go to heaven and hell just based upon their religion.

How can somebody accept that a person who has done good deeds, looked after the family, helped those in need, believe in the creater... go to hell just because of the religion they follow?

What are different religions outlooks on people of other religions?

In the Holy Qur'an

2:62 Surely those who believe, and those who are Jews, and the Christians, and the Sabians, whoever believes in Allah and the Last day and does good, they shall have their reward from their Lord, and there is no fear for them, nor shall they grieve.
There are different interpretations and understandings regarding this issue but it is believed by muslims that Islam existed since the creation of humanity, those who submitted to the one true creater therefore were believers.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 22:53
One thing I always noticed about that very famous quote by Mohammed is it leaves out Hindus and Buddhists, amongst numerous others. Why didn't he include them in his statement?

Edited by Paul - 17-Jan-2008 at 22:53
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 00:16
Originally posted by Paul

One thing I always noticed about that very famous quote by Mohammed is it leaves out Hindus and Buddhists, amongst numerous others. Why didn't he include them in his statement?

The overall tone of the Qu'ran in context mentions that a good person who does good deeds and refrains from doing negative things to others can be accepted into heaven. However, being a Muslim or Christian or believing in God aren't automatic tickets into heaven either.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 00:33

For starters quotations of Muhammed are Hadiths, and that is Quran, but to answer the question Hinduism and Buddhism are not revealed religions like Christianity, Judaism or Sabianism.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 03:05
Originally posted by Bulldog

I just can't understand how religions which have such beautiful teachings and wise prophets can have people claiming to be arent followers even spiritual leaders who actually believe that people can go to heaven and hell just based upon their religion.

There are billions of souls living in this planet; each are unique; different. That is how : )

For most of the people, what I say is when the standard conditions are met ( raised good, fed good, educated good, loved good, or whatever the needed conditions are for an individual soul ...) , they become more capable of being righteous. But most of the time that is not the case.

And it is nice to see you guys still around. Here .. :)

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 15:11
Good to see you back participating again Scorpius!
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 15:51

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

For starters quotations of Muhammed are Hadiths, and that is Quran, but to answer the question Hinduism and Buddhism are not revealed religions like Christianity, Judaism or Sabianism.
Surely it is not so much not being 'revealed' as not being Abrahamic? Zoroastrianism is revealed, Buddhism is too, and so are Sikhism, Mormonism and B'ahai. B'ahai and Sikhism are both monotheistic too, as are some North American aboriginal religions.

Even Scientology was revealed.
Scorpius View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Scorpius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 16:30
Originally posted by Seko

Good to see you back participating again Scorpius!
Thank you!

The pleasure is mine : )

For such a wonderful environment for civilized discussions; and I must add beautifully moderated; it is almost impossible for someone not to keep coming back and back again.

Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 18:51
Originally posted by gcle2003

Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Surely it is not so much not being 'revealed' as not being Abrahamic? Zoroastrianism is revealed, Buddhism is too, and so are Sikhism, Mormonism and B'ahai. B'ahai and Sikhism are both monotheistic too, as are some North American aboriginal religions.

Even Scientology was revealed.

I agree, I kind of think it implies they can't go to heaven, but everyone is too shy to say it.

Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
 Post Reply Post Reply