Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Writing a thesis

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Writing a thesis
    Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 02:51
I've got a midterm exam in Advanced Placement US History coming up in three days and I need help stating a thesis with a prompt like this for an essay.

.To what extent and for what reasons did the policies of the Federal Government from 1865 to 1900 violate the principles of Laissez-Faire. Which advocated minimal governmental intervention in the economy? Consider with specific reference to the three following areas of policy: railroad land grants, control of interstate commerce and antitrust activities.

Thank you to anyone who would like to help me with this I'm in kind of a rush with everything else going on.        

Edited by Kevin - 17-Jan-2008 at 00:41
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 04:21
How many words is this "thesis" meant to be?

Mine had 20,000 as a minimum, and it ended up being 34,000
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 05:15
Thesis' are overrated

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 05:47
Originally posted by Ponce de Leon

Thesis' are overrated

Theses

And yes, they kind of are.
Parnell View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Parnell Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 15:14

How hard are they? I have to do one in two years time. That;ll be fun.

Cataln View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Cataln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 16:40
AP US History is a high school class, so it's a thesis for ... I'm guessing ... a DBQ.  In other words, a sentence which provides what the essay is going to be about and what he/she is trying to prove.  Everyone hated DBQs and I loved them; if his AP US History was anything like mine, then they don't allow the use of outside information (just what the documents provided in the prompt give you), which makes them less fun.

If this is for a DBQ then he should have 'three' groups, or three subtopics for three essays. DBQs are pretty straightforward and require only five paragraphs:

1.  Introduction
2-4.  Information
5. Conclusion

It's a high school essay aimed at helping you develope the skills necessary for a good university thesis.

So, more specifically when talking about the question he gave - he needs three reasons, or two reasons and the 'extent' of the government's reforms.  The prompt kind of gives you your thesis statement though, since it already gives you your three groups that you can talk about in the essay.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 00:40
Originally posted by Cataln

AP US History is a high school class, so it's a thesis for ... I'm guessing ... a DBQ.  In other words, a sentence which provides what the essay is going to be about and what he/she is trying to prove.  Everyone hated DBQs and I loved them; if his AP US History was anything like mine, then they don't allow the use of outside information (just what the documents provided in the prompt give you), which makes them less fun.

If this is for a DBQ then he should have 'three' groups, or three subtopics for three essays. DBQs are pretty straightforward and require only five paragraphs:

1.  Introduction
2-4.  Information
5. Conclusion

It's a high school essay aimed at helping you develope the skills necessary for a good university thesis.

So, more specifically when talking about the question he gave - he needs three reasons, or two reasons and the 'extent' of the government's reforms.  The prompt kind of gives you your thesis statement though, since it already gives you your three groups that you can talk about in the essay.

I think it is just more of a straightforward thesis based essay, However  I have done DBQ's and I think they are overrated in terms of difficulty, But again thats me.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 01:24
What is a DBQ?

Do research in wikipedia about the tree topics that you were given.

Of all of those, I would pick to stress railroads since this was one area where the violations of Laissez-Faire were probably the greatest. Interstate commerce and anti-trust policies can be argued as a way of preserving free and fair competition. Not so with railroad grants

Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:20
Originally posted by hugoestr

What is a DBQ?

Do research in wikipedia about the tree topics that you were given.

Of all of those, I would pick to stress railroads since this was one area where the violations of Laissez-Faire were probably the greatest. Interstate commerce and anti-trust policies can be argued as a way of preserving free and fair competition. Not so with railroad grants

A DBQ is a document Based Question, What they give you on a test is a series of documents you read the documents then after that you form a thesis and write an essay. So a typical excersise in gathering information and forming an arguement and a conclusion. 
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 20:16
About your theses, of course there are several ways that made the US government infringe on the laissez-faire ethos (other you did not mention such as the interventions in Central America) but in my view the most important was the barrier on import which together with a massive influx of capital and labor created the perfect storm (in a positive sense) that allowed the US economy not only to take off but also become the first in the world by far.
Cataln View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Cataln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 21:35
For those interested, here's a sample DBQ:

Post Reply Post Reply