Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

The Official AE Podcast Scripts' Writing Topic

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Official AE Podcast Scripts' Writing Topic
    Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 13:33
Right - let's try and get this interesting project going somewhere. Unfortunately I'm not so hot on the technologically based side of this project but I was thinking that we could just host some space somewhere (I know loads of free hosting sites) - people write a script for a programme that they want to do, put it in the hosting space and after we've got enough, someone who actually knows how to stich together sounds files and tidy them up can put all the soundfiles into a podcast. I'm not exactly sure how to proceed with this, but let's brainstorm and do the best we can - one podcast a month along with the magazine would be quite interesting...
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 16:32
It would be.

Now, I don't think there's anything more to it than just writing the texts and voicing them out clearly.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 17:06
We can pepper the broadcast with old AE total quiz questions

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 17:19
We could indeed.

Now, has anyone got any preferences about the topic we'd choose for our first try? IF it works out, that is.
Cataln View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Cataln Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 17:25
AllEmpires BBC-style informatives?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 22:54
The City of Rome in the Late Republic could work. Rather than solely focusing on military, we could do podcasts on Religion, Buildings, Culture/Society, Government...?
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 23:19
Good idea - let's not go down the old "battles and empires" style that so many magazines these days have reverted to. Anyway, how do you think we should begin each episode? Music, some kind of theme?
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 03:36
The idea of a musical introduction could work, but it'd have to be suiting and brief. Are we OK with doing "The City of Rome in the Late Republic"? If so, I think we could do episodes on: Religion, Buildings, Government, and maybe a few on Figures/Personalities like Caesar, Pompey or Cicero. I have a lot of notes on this area, and would love to help in script writing. I have in fact made some personal podcasts on my phone, for listening to as study.
- Knights -
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 16:00
Yes. It would be nice. And we we could manage, then each topic could have several views (religion and buildings in the same mag for example) if we manage, that is.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 07:39

That would be easy to do as long as we cover each topic quickly and basically. But that would just open the danger of creating quantity above quality.

rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:34
I'm not frightened of that with you and Aster here...

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 23:08
"You and Aster"

Rider, is the 'you' referring to me?

Praetor's been talking to me about some ideas, but he hasn't got around to posting them yet, so I'll let him do that.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 03:17
So the podcast is making some progress, thats good.  I'll be interested to see how this develops. 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 03:46
So, what is the tone of the podcast going to be like? Casual? Serious? Eager? Peppered with trivia? Dramatic? I rather have quality over quantity.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 08:11
If possible when having music it would be cool to have sort of 'period' music to fit the theme and I'm all up for picking a certain place in time and basing each podcast on that era.

as for another suggestion we should try and do an interview with someone(s) on the topic, I'm not sure how you would do it but there is probably a program that would allow you to record voice conversations.
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 15:27
Yes, I was referring to you Alex. I saw your both before as the one just before mine so I used 'you'. Something has changed though... It's no longer there...

Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 23:22
I think that period music would be good in theory. But think about some areas of history...namely ancient history where we don't have any. A theme tune for the Akkadian empire, Dynastic Egypt, the Diadochi, the cyclaidic culture? I like that idea for interviews, but if we don't do it carefully enough it could seem like we are being pretentious.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 02:08
Well we could always do what I've heard on a lot of games and just put music on what we think sounds like the culture of the time
rider View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote rider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 15:33
That would be...
Goban View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Goban Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jan-2008 at 16:08
I mentioned something similar (kind of) on AE a long time ago. It was a news program that relayed historic events as if it was on the Eye witness news... This would not only be fun to research and do (for our own benefit) but it would perk the interests of the GP.

Imagine covering a historic battle as it is unfolding, or describing a horrific plague in real time (with cited sources of course).

Just a thought..

The sharpest spoon in the drawer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>