Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

McCain/Huckabee Alliance?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: McCain/Huckabee Alliance?
    Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 20:44
It seems like these two presidential candidates are teaming up because both Huckabee and McCain have a common enemy. MITT ROMNEY. Many people are speculating that Romney has the best chance of getting the nomination and the other candidates who are only a few steps behind at this point are looking to take him out.

Here is a report from the New York Observer on the issue:

McCain and Huckabee Team Up to Stop Romney
by Steve Kornacki | December 31, 2007The Republican presidential race may look like a cluttered and chaotic mess, but its actually become fairly simple: Mitt Romney will win the nomination unless Mike Huckabee and John McCain can stop him.

Mr. Romney, unlike from every other G.O.P. candidate, is positioned to contest every state on the primary calendar. He has unlimited money, an enviable campaign organization and a message and style tailored to draw in Republicans of varying ideological stripesor at least to get them to throw up their hands and say good enough." If Mr. Romney is to be stopped, it must happen now. And thats where Mr. Huckabee, the only candidate who can possibly beat Mr. Romney in Iowa, and Mr. McCain, the lone non-Romney hope in New Hampshire, come in.

Both men, severely underfunded and viewed with something between suspicion and scorn by influential components of the G.O.P. interest group establishment, plainly recognize their status as brothers in arms. Their strategy: Team up to make Mr. Romney himself an issue in the closing days of the campaign.

In a Sunday morning interview of ABCs This Week, Mr. McCain sought to use Mr. Romneys latest batch of New Hampshire attacks adswhich criticize Mr. McCain for advocating an immigration plan that Mr. Romney himself only two years ago described as reasonableto raise questions about his opponents character and to give Mr. Huckabee some cover in Iowa.

Hes attacking Huckabee in Iowa, whos a good man, Mr. McCain said. And that shows that theyre worried, and thats been his historyof spending lots of money attacking his opponents when they get close.

Mr. Huckabee returned the favor minutes later on NBCs Meet the Press. Asked about Mr. Romneys aggressive attacks against him in Iowa, Mr. Huckabee said that his opponent has run a very desperate and very dishonest campaign and noted that Mr. McCain in New Hampshire is a victim of the same ugly politics.

Senator McCain is an honorable man, and I believe he's an honest man, Mr. Huckabee said. I believe he's a man of conviction. And I felt like that, when Mitt Romney went after the integrity of John McCain, he stepped across a line. John McCain's a hero in this country. He's a hero to me.

He added: If you aren't being honest in obtaining a job, can we trust you to be honest if you get the job?

The McCain/Huckabee line of attack just may work, mainly because it highlights Mr. Romneys chief vulnerabilitythe perception that he is a slippery beguiler -- while also drawing attention to the character attributes that underlie Mr. McCains and Mr. Huckabees personal appeal.

Mr. Romney is in such an advantageous spot right now because hes methodically thrown a careers worth of positions and rhetoric out the window and remade himself into a candidate who just so happens to embrace every attitude that polls well among Republican votersa jarring transformation that hes pulled off by projecting sincerity whenever hes been questioned about it.

For three of the four years he held the post, he was an absentee governor in Massachusetts, racking up no meaningful accomplishments (other than jetting back home to claim credit for a health insurance plan that was drawn up by the state Legislature and that has thus far failed to come close to its goal of universal coverage) and alienating so many voters that a re-election campaign was out of the question.

Doubts about his trustworthiness remain, thanks to the paper trail hes left and his own tendency to embellishlike his claim of being a lifelong hunter, or of having marched through Detroit with Martin Luther King.

Mr. Romney has poured tens of millions of dollars into savaging Mr. McCain and Mr. Huckabee for their various departures from conservative orthodoxy, whether on immigration, taxes, or torture, and it has worked well enough. Because Mr. Romney knows and is willing to say exactly what Republican audiences like to hear on these subjects, Mr. McCain and Mr. Huckabee cant defeat him by arguing about these issues.

What they can do is draw on their own reputations for integrity -- Mr. Huckabee is a Bible-quoting Baptist preacher and Mr. McCain is a former P.O.W. who has paid dearly in politics for his willingness to take unpopular standsto raise questions about Mr. Romneys.

And so the G.O.P. race has come down to this: Will Iowa and New Hampshire Republicans go for a charmer with a knack for hitting the exact right ideological note whenever he speakssomeone who exhibited the same trait in liberal Massachusetts? Or will they ask themselves whether such a candidate might just a little too good to be true?

pikeshot1600 View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote pikeshot1600 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 23:17
Let's consider raw political reality.  The track record of presidential candidates from the Northeast, and particularly Massachusetts, in recent decades has been abysmal.  If (South) Huckabee, and (West) McCain ally to derail some perceived momentum of Mitt Romney, it is an attempt to deny any possibility of nomination to another Northeasterner who would lose the election, even if he wasn't following George Bush II.

Charisma and articulated policy are fine, but when most of the population lives in the South and the West, it is likely that the next president will come from one of those....as he has in the last 11 elections.

Edited by pikeshot1600 - 10-Jan-2008 at 23:21
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 21:33
more of the same if hucklebreath wins
I am starting to look at Ron Paul as the only man for the job
Juiiani is a liberal and not a conservative
Romney- not sure yet
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 04:46
I don't think that Paul has a chance to win at all. Him and Kuchinich are the only ones with any original ideas it seems from what I have seen, but either one like Howard Dean won't win. Originality isn't a virtue it seems in Presidential politics, changing one's opinion to suit whatever crowd they are in front of is the norm lately.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 05:10
Huckabee is not going to win because he has become an economic populist.

In the U.S. is okay for you to incite racial strife, encourage theocratic ambitions, and libel other candidates, but not pointing the finger to corporations or talk the economic welfare of regular people. That is a big no-no.
Kevin View Drop Down
General
General
AE Editor

Quote Kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 05:18
Huckabee is a step in the wrong direction for the Republican Party, I'm starting to see McCain as a step in the right direction in terms of the type of Republican he is and ideologically. 
Super Goat (^_^) View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Super Goat (^_^) Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 06:53
I don't think that Paul has a chance to win at all. Him and Kuchinich are the only ones with any original ideas it seems from what I have seen, but either one like Howard Dean won't win. Originality isn't a virtue it seems in Presidential politics, changing one's opinion to suit whatever crowd they are in front of is the norm lately.

IMO, i believe Paul realizes this. I think he planned from the beginning to run as a 3rd party candidate, but merely using the republican primaries in order to get exposure and get into debates.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 06:55
I would like to see Bunny Ears run as a third party candidate
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 18:31
Originally posted by Super Goat (^_^)

<!-- Start Member Post --><!-- google_ad_section_start -->

I don't think that Paul has a chance to win at all. Him and Kuchinich
are the only ones with any original ideas it seems from what I have
seen, but either one like Howard Dean won't win. Originality isn't a
virtue it seems in Presidential politics, changing one's opinion to
suit whatever crowd they are in front of is the norm lately.
IMO, i believe Paul realizes this. I think he planned from the beginning to run as a 3rd party candidate, but merely using the republican primaries in order to get exposure and get into debates.

In one of the youtube debates, a question was directed at Ron Paul asking if he was doing exactly what you just said. Paul replied that he was not doing this just to get his name out there, that he is a republican through and through, and would not run as an independent if he does not get the nomination. He still campaigns because of millions of donations still pouring into his war chest, and the support of a lot of Americans mostly younger people from 18-30.
 Post Reply Post Reply