Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Greece challange Medieval law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in Greece challange Medieval law
    Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 16:46
There are male midwives and female doctors nowadays, and the world did not become worse because of it. Change is not bad by defenition.

Of course. There are bad chnges and good changes.

This is nonsense. If a big strong institution like the church cannot overcome the presence of females, it would have died long before now. Besides, the idea that hundreds would fall from fate because women have walked that peninsula is not only prepostrous, but rather insulting to people's strength of faith as well.

The interdiction of women access in Mountain was taken after a suposed apparition of Mother of God who consecrated this mountain only for male monks. It's a matter of faith, so you cann't question it after modern view.

The food, meat or anything, is not impure but fast is necesary for educating us that we have not to follow the body's impulses. For similar reason, there have to be in the world a place were genders are not present together.

And let's face the reality, there are many women for who tempting a monk is something interesting. Not all have the maturity to respect the efforts ofor chastity and purity of those men.

Secondly, a beautiful and married woman might be very interested in feminism. About twohundred years ago, women were not allowed to attend university, about a hundred years ago, women were not allowed to vote, about fifty years ago, married women were not allowed to own their own property or have payed jobs, about twenty years ago, women had little to nothing to say about the frequency and number of their pregnancies. The fact that women today can study, have jobs, vote for presidents and can decide to have no more than two kids are all very direct results of the hard work and preseverance of feminists. These things may not mean a lot to you, but they most certainly mean a lot to me, and many many other women with me.

The reality is that, at least in the pictures found on web, I have not yet seen a feminist with an attractive presence, and actualy most of them seems to be unmarried.

As for women's rights, I think that anyway they would have been put in practice by men, without the activism of women feminists. I disagree with you if you refer at abortion, I consider it a crime and any method of anticonception except the natural abstinence I consider wrong.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by Menumorut

The interdiction of women access in Mountain was taken after a suposed apparition of Mother of God who consecrated this mountain only for male monks. It's a matter of faith, so you cann't question it after modern view.

For some people in the past it was a matter of faith that if the gods didn't get a human heart on a daily basis the sun would no longer rise. Doesn't change the fact that they were completely wrong.

And let's face the reality, there are many women for who tempting a monk is something interesting. Not all have the maturity to respect the efforts ofor chastity and purity of those men.

I don't really think there are that many women who'd like to grab the opportunity and go to Mount Athos as soon as it's possible to tempt a monk. I'm not a woman myself of course, but I don't see why a monk of all people could be considered an interesting partner. Besides, even if they would, it would be a good way for those monks to show their faith. After all, resisting temptations is not difficult as long as those temptations are absent.

As for women's rights, I think that anyway they would have been put in practice by men, without the activism of women feminists.

We have waited a few thousand years, but woman's rights did not really start to be put into practice before feminists started to make demands. It is of course true that feminists don't nescesarily have to be women, but I don't see a single reason why women should leave fighting for their rights to men. In fact it would be an oxymoron if fighting for womans' rights would be ok, as long as it are not women themselves fighting for it.

I disagree with you if you refer at abortion, I consider it a crime and any method of anticonception except the natural abstinence I consider wrong.

If there is one thing that is completely unnatural it is abstinence.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 17:19
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

I don't really think there are that many women who'd like to grab the opportunity and go to Mount Athos as soon as it's possible to tempt a monk. I'm not a woman myself of course, but I don't see why a monk of all people could be considered an interesting partner. Besides, even if they would, it would be a good way for those monks to show their faith. After all, resisting temptations is not difficult as long as those temptations are absent.

Ah, but the Christian is instructed to flee from temptation in general and sexual temptation in particular. We are not supposed to deliberately expose ourselves to it in order to build up resistance. Worldly things distract from the spiritual aspect of life, and those who are called to a quiet life of contemplation and prayer should not expose themselves to them. If you think this calling was lightly undertaken, you should go to Athos and discuss it with one of the monastics.

Which is precisely why the monks have undertaken it as part of their calling: it is a renunciation of the things of this world.

-Akolouthos
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 17:22
Pissing on someones property is not really accepted as normal behaviour by any group, religion or culture.
Actually if that property is a meadow or a forest or ... a toilet, probably many wouldn't give a damn if someone is pissing there (in the former two examples maybe some will welcome it as fertilizer LOL). 
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 17:28
For some people in the past it was a matter of faith that if the gods didn't get a human heart on a daily basis the sun would no longer rise. Doesn't change the fact that they were completely wrong.

There is not only that apparition, also a Byzantine empress entered in Mountain with some gifts and Mother of God appeared and explained her that is her mountain and is only for men. Also there are other stories about women entering the mountain and happening bad things.

By the way, one of the oldest documentary mentions of Vlachs (if not the oldest) is about Vlach women breaking the interdiction and entering the mountain.

Is not about that monks are interesting partners but the idea of corrupting a monk, like an adventure.

Your arguing about facing the temptation is not correct. The objective of contemplative life is not gaining some anti-passion powers but to find God by life of permanent prayer.

There are other things which are unnatural too. We don't haver the duty to be natural, actualy the Christian faith call us to come over our nature. If you remain natural, you are condemned to be decomposed like the natural elements are.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 17:39
Originally posted by Menumorut

There is not only that apparition, also a Byzantine empress entered in Mountain with some gifts and Mother of God appeared and explained her that is her mountain and is only for men. Also there are other stories about women entering the mountain and happening bad things.

Those sound more like fairy tales than a strong juridical argument to me. And even if there was a strong juridical argument, laws can be changed.

Is not about that monks are interesting partners but the idea of corrupting a monk, like an adventure.

But then it would be better to close Athos for all visitors. After all it may also be interesting for (homosexual) men to try to corrupt a monk.

There are other things which are unnatural too. We don't haver the duty to be natural, actualy the Christian faith call us to come over our nature. If you remain natural, you are condemned to be decomposed like the natural elements are.

I don't care about things being natural or unnatural, but you are contracting what you said earlier. You just said "any method of anticonception except the natural abstinence I consider wrong.", which to me implies that you consider anticonception other than abstinence wrong because it's unnatural.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 18:03
Flee from temptation, or resist temptation?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 18:27

Those sound more like fairy tales than a strong juridical argument to me. And even if there was a strong juridical argument, laws can be changed.

Of course. Bad things can be done anytime.

But then it would be better to close Athos for all visitors. After all it may also be interesting for (homosexual) men to try to corrupt a monk.

I think that only to those with real religious interest should be allowed the visiting, not only Athos but any Orthodox monastery. I mean only those which are strugling to fulfil the evangelical precepts.

As for homosexual monks, there is much myth about this. If someone is homosexual either try to repress this either to fulfil his wishes. If first, he may enter a monastery or not. Anyway, as far I know, for homosexuals the sentimental attraction is stronger than the bodily one, they don't have temptations like heterosexuals.

I don't care about things being natural or unnatural, but you are contracting what you said earlier. You just said "any method of anticonception except the natural abstinence I consider wrong.", which to me implies that you consider anticonception other than abstinence wrong because it's unnatural.

The use of word [inatural is different in the two situations. Is not so complicated to see how. In the case of abstinence seen as a way of life or a principle of life, we have to overcome the natural inclinations. In the case of family planning, the moral way of avoiding births is the abstinence, whic is a natural method in opposition with the medical and technical methods.

I repeat: the objectives of monkish life are others, transcedental.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 20:17
The early Church had had female priests and leaders.

es_bih check this link out. Women never had the same roles as men in the early church.

Pissing on someones property is not really accepted as normal behaviour by any group, religion or culture.

You must not have been to many hardcore punk concerts

See this is the line of thought I cannot agree with. There are many many non-hermit monks who are active in the world and yet their faith allows them to maintain their celibacy. It shouldn't be about men being tempted because men will always be tempted as long as they still have hands . It's just the way nature designed us, I can understand that the monks want as little distraction as possible so they are spending less time to fight temptation, but to say there is no temptation without women is ridiculous. Besides maybe some of those monks are homosexual, does the amount of men there affect their chastity?

Mind you the purpose of a hermitage is to separate yourselves from the world. Which is why Mount Athos restricts it's visitors. I'm certain there is also a restriction on the amount of people that may come at any one time as to limit the distractions of the world.

I'm not a woman myself of course, but I don't see why a monk of all people could be considered an interesting partner.

People have many different fetishes and kinks and a woman might be attracted to the spiritual purity of a monk and want to take pride in the fact that they are better than all the women of the world because they were able to seduce the unseducable.

That's the point though yes? To rise above our bestial natures and to embrace our supernatural life.

Anyway, as far I know, for homosexuals the sentimental attraction is stronger than the bodily one, they don't have temptations like heterosexuals.

Homosexuals act just like heterosexuals. Some are more for sentimental attraction and some just want to be promiscuous, just like not all heterosexuals act the same.

So to answer your question they are trying to go to a place within themselves where they have no temptations, so there is nothing to flee from and nothing to resist.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 20:54
Originally posted by JanusRook

See this is the line of thought I cannot agree with. There are many many non-hermit monks who are active in the world and yet their faith allows them to maintain their celibacy.

I was not speaking about the posibility of monks failing in sins. A monk is commonly strong enough to resist a woman and probably they are not having much sex-appeal to incite women. I speak about the disturbing of the peace that monks are looking for, with looks, body language etc.

I'm certain there is also a restriction on the amount of people that may come at any one time as to limit the distractions of the world.

It's a daily limit of visitors, some tens and they can stay only four days.

So to answer your question they are trying to go to a place within themselves where they have no temptations, so there is nothing to flee from and nothing to resist.

The reasons people enter monastery are diverse. Some are going for economical reasons, some (girls and women) because they have had some bad experiences with men, but most because they feel an enthusiasm for imitating the Fathers, also some from some moral feelings.

Understanding the real objectives appears after they enter monastery, from discussions with experienced monks and from lectures. I mean the life of unceased prayer, which also can be called life of contemplation, or of repentance. Is the same thing. So, the objectives are not the fight with the sin and temptations but the spiritual enlightement.

Edited by Menumorut - 11-Jan-2008 at 20:59

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 21:15
Originally posted by Akolouthos

If the monks have unjustly encroached on public land, then the protest may have been justified. If the purpose of the protest was solely to oppose the prohibition against women entering the Holy Mountain, then it was not. The prohibition is obviously recognized by the government, and it has practical as well as theological implications.

-Akolouthos

I agree!! but only on that point

but not with them
Several feminist groups in Greece
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 04:57

The early Church had had female priests and leaders.

es_bih check this link out. Women never had the same roles as men in the early church.

You must not have been to many hardcore punk concerts

See this is the line of thought I cannot agree with. There are many many non-hermit monks who are active in the world and yet their faith allows them to maintain their celibacy. It shouldn't be about men being tempted because men will always be tempted as long as they still have hands . It's just the way nature designed us, I can understand that the monks want as little distraction as possible so they are spending less time to fight temptation, but to say there is no temptation without women is ridiculous. Besides maybe some of those monks are homosexual, does the amount of men there affect their chastity?

Mind you the purpose of a hermitage is to separate yourselves from the world. Which is why Mount Athos restricts it's visitors. I'm certain there is also a restriction on the amount of people that may come at any one time as to limit the distractions of the world.

I'm not a woman myself of course, but I don't see why a monk of all people could be considered an interesting partner.

People have many different fetishes and kinks and a woman might be attracted to the spiritual purity of a monk and want to take pride in the fact that they are better than all the women of the world because they were able to seduce the unseducable.

That's the point though yes? To rise above our bestial natures and to embrace our supernatural life.

Anyway, as far I know, for homosexuals the sentimental attraction is stronger than the bodily one, they don't have temptations like heterosexuals.

Homosexuals act just like heterosexuals. Some are more for sentimental attraction and some just want to be promiscuous, just like not all heterosexuals act the same.

http://www.wcg.org/lit/church/ministry/women7.htm

C.E. Cerling, Jr., "Women Ministers In The New Testament Church?" Journal of the Evangelical Theological Society 19.3 (1976): 209-215

Jean Danilou, The Ministry of Women in the Early Church, 2nd edn. Glyn Simon, translator. Leighton Buzzard, Beds.: Faith Press, 1974. pp.31.

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 10:08
Look, I have to ask something to Aelf & Mix:
Why do you care?

So a few monasteries on a mountain don't permit women? This is completely irrelevant. I can't shop at the supermarket in the US embassy. Is this a restriction of my freedom of movement?
Well, yes, but it doesn't matter, because its trivial.

People have traditions, if it isn't hurting anyone leave it alone!
For example, the Dutch have a tradition of being completely uninhibited, I don't try to change this, why are you trying to change the Greeks?
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 11:55

I agree that it is entirely a business of orthodox churches. On the  other hand one should admit that religional traditions are too conservative. Sometimes they change with the development of a society but too slowly. In this particular case with Orthodox monasteries I would say is one of the examples of such conservatism.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 13:04
Anton, religion is not a tradition but an aspiration to truth. So, its forms of manifestation can be changed only if they are wrong in some aspects.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 18:01

I would call it religional practics, Menumorut, -- a way to reach God (i.e. to understand the existance). These practices were created 2000 and were "tuned" for the state of mind of people living at that time. And what was true for those people might not be true for us and vice versa. These practices are however kept in form of church traditions and because of church are changing too slowly if you ask me. I am not sure that i explained well, what I mean.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 18:15
Originally posted by Anton

And what was true for those people might not be true for us and vice versa. These practices are however kept in form of church traditions and because of church are changing too slowly if you ask me.

Most of these rules were created more recently, not 2000 ago. What was good and bad 2000 or 1000 years ago, is good or bad today in the same way.

Th idea that world is progressing is relative. For me, it was not a progress but a regress.

Edited by Menumorut - 12-Jan-2008 at 18:18

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:07
These practices are however kept in form of church traditions and because of church are changing too slowly if you ask me.

Just because church traditions change too slowly for you doesn't mean they need to speed up the pace. If the traditions are backwards they will lose worshipers, however with Mt. Athos this does not seem to be happening, thus religions only change when they must and as of yet the Orthodox church has shown that change is not necessary.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:26
In addition to women ministers es_bih from your own link....

It is therefore not likely that men would view female preachers as credible sources for new religious ideas. Because of those attitudes, women had to support the gospel in other ways.

Thus it is highly unlikely that women would be recognized as legitimate ministers of Christ.

Saul apparently viewed Christian women as a serious threat to Jewish orthodoxy, probably because they were spreading the gospel to other women.

This statement makes the question of women ministers moot because it is not the "early christian church", in the context of an unbroken line of christian tradition. Rather this could be construed as a segment of long extinct heresies and schisms in the Christian church. Gnostics had women preachers are we to include them into the current Christian church?

Since Lydia had a successful business and owned the meeting location, it is probably safe to say that she was influential in the church, but Luke does not give her a formal title.

This is exactly keeping with the role of women in the Christian church, no formal titles of authority, but a role in guiding that authority, much the same as a president's wife influences certain decisions.

Since diakonos can mean either deacon or servant, some translations have chosen deacon (e.g., NRSV), while others have chosen servant (NIV) or minister (NAB). If a man had been called a diakonos of the church, most translators would have used the word deacon,[6] but some translators do not believe that the early church had female deacons and therefore choose servant.

I would not dispute the fact that women were deaconesses but they had a far different role than that of deacons in the church. Mostly they were in charge of teaching women Christianity in a culture where sexual division was high.

As the person who carried the letter to Rome, Phoebe may have been asked to read the letter aloud to the assembled believers, and she may have been expected to convey verbal greetings from Paul and answer questions about what Paul may have meant by any phrases the audience found confusing.

I have acted as a lecter for my church on numerous occasions, this does not make me an authority figure in the church and neither does it make women authority figures.

----------

Also this source the Worldwide Church of God is an organization less than a hundred years old with a membership less than 50,000 people. Also it is a self-proclaimed evangelic church meaning that trappings of sola scriptura are the main source of faith. This means that they reject the evolution of Christianity as a world religion and instead rely just on the static and convuluted works of the Bible to define their doctrine.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:40

Just because church traditions change too slowly for you doesn't mean they need to speed up the pace.

I am not sure I understand you. I expressed my point of view. If you don't like it is your right.

If the traditions are backwards they will lose worshipers
Neither you can prove this nor I can prove the opposite. Moreover, if for instance church will try to change its position to more conservative one on certain principle questions I myself will stop going there. As many sensible but religious people I suppose. Wink

thus religions only change when they must and as of yet the Orthodox church has shown that change is not necessary
What does it mean "must"? Who determines this "must"?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>