Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Greece challange Medieval law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in Greece challange Medieval law
    Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:04
Originally posted by Leonidas

they cant be established on Mount Athos.

The European Parliament asked Greece to make gender rights equal in 2002 and 2003, both times with no results.

AKAIK, this territory doesn't even fall under direct government control, and they are wasting their time in thinking they can influence the church, which is ment to be beyond government inteference. IIRC not even female animals are not allowed, though exceptions were made on the non female ban for humanitarian reasons but im not sure of the details.

This is just protesting for the sake of it, while i might not understand why females are banned, or even disagree with it (if i did), i would totally respect this sacred and ancient orthodox sanctuary for what it is and move on to something more important like; equality of wages, maternity leave and much more relevant issues closer to home.

edit: improved a poorly written post

I just do not see how women are "impure" to be there. However, protesting and encroaching upon "sacred" land isn't the solution either. There should be a reform in order to make a site available for a convent. Nevertheless that is not the approach to take in order to attain that goal either. Pissing people off only leads to reprisals and unwillingness and God knows people in the Balkans can be hardheaded about the most minuscule thing.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:07
Originally posted by Menumorut

And by the way, is known that the feminists are ugly, frustrated women.

That statement  is rather offensive and stereotyping, and sexist. I don't think thats the proper way to address this issue.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:09
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

Female POWER!

Down with men!

Now seriously.... It is a bit too much of a trifle to start protesting over, but a law that forbids women to go somewhere wased on nothing more than the fact that they are female (and more disgustingly, becuse females are 'impure') is pretty damn sad.

And by the way, is known that the feminists are ugly, frustrated women.

You sound a bit scared... or frustrated maybe?

Yeah I have no clue how that "impure" theory still gets tolerated.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:24
That statement is rather offensive and stereotyping, and sexist. I don't think thats the proper way to address this issue.

OK.

Is nothing about impure. Haven't you read what I sayed? The fact that female animals are not allowed is not because they are impure but because this way is created a more female-less environment.

The monks want to leave in chastity and seeing female animale would weaken this. Also they want live in material simplicity. Few decades ago there were not roads, electricity, only foot paths.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:25
Originally posted by Akolouthos

Well, there is also the practical consideration of the effect that a sudden influx of women would have on the passions of the monks.

So if those monks suddenly would meet women they would get completely crazy?

that's revealing...
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:32
Originally posted by Mixcoatl

Well, there is also the practical consideration of the effect that a sudden influx of women would have on the passions of the monks.

that's revealing...

Indeed and it is, although perhaps not for the reason you suspect.

Keep in mind that these men have willingly renounced the world. Yet still they are subject to the same passions that afflict us all. No one is positing that they would commit any acts of fornication, but it would certainly present a distraction from their spiritual undertakings. These monks have given up their entire lives, so that they may "pray without ceasing" for all the world. To distract them from that worthy undertaking would be positively reprehensible.

There are monasteries where women are admitted, but the Holy Mountain is a special place, and the greatest spiritual center in the whole of Orthodoxy. It adds a unique spiritual benefit to the Orthodox world, precisely because it is an anomaly.

-Akolouthos
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:46
In Romania there are two monasteries where the access of women is not allowed. One is new, founded after 1990, the other being also not very old, the half of 19th century.

This is the monasteries most ascetical and where one can find the Orthodoxy at its highest integrity, because here the services are most strictly respected and everything works best.

This is a proof that gender separation produces the best environment for contemplation life.

At Athos still are monks and hermits completely defying world's richness, living in evangelical bareness and looking like beggers, being dressed in tatters:

http://www.orthodoxphotos.com/Athonite_Hermits/index.shtml (scroll down the page)

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 21:49

really... and where exactly would that be, pray tell....LOL

Surely not in a land where is full of monasteries out of civilization........
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 22:36
How come noone is shocked by the fact that female animals are banned too?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 22:43
Don't be so shocked. In the Mountain there are wild animals and nobody kills the femels. As for domestic animals, the food of monks is frugal so they don't need cows, pigs etc.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 23:39

That statement is rather offensive and stereotyping, and sexist. I don't think thats the proper way to address this issue.

OK.

Is nothing about impure. Haven't you read what I sayed? The fact that female animals are not allowed is not because they are impure but because this way is created a more female-less environment.

The monks want to leave in chastity and seeing female animale would weaken this. Also they want live in material simplicity. Few decades ago there were not roads, electricity, only foot paths.

The article clearly implied that it is due to "female impurity."

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jan-2008 at 23:41

Originally posted by Mixcoatl

that's revealing...

Indeed and it is, although perhaps not for the reason you suspect.

Keep in mind that these men have willingly renounced the world. Yet still they are subject to the same passions that afflict us all. No one is positing that they would commit any acts of fornication, but it would certainly present a distraction from their spiritual undertakings. These monks have given up their entire lives, so that they may "pray without ceasing" for all the world. To distract them from that worthy undertaking would be positively reprehensible.

There are monasteries where women are admitted, but the Holy Mountain is a special place, and the greatest spiritual center in the whole of Orthodoxy. It adds a unique spiritual benefit to the Orthodox world, precisely because it is an anomaly.

-Akolouthos

Greatest spiritual center for men that is, if women cannot enjoy the same benefits of living in a convent on Mt. Athos then they are obviously excluded from general consensus.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 00:28

Ok then what is this about... AFIK monasteries have been seperate... that's the whole point of monastic life...

From what I've gathered these aren't religiously minded nuns who want a chance to worship with the monks. It's a bunch of secular feminists who want to frustrate traditionalists and force hundreds of years of non-interfering tradition to disappear in the name of the great femininity.

AKAIK, this territory doesn't even fall under direct government control, and they are wasting their time in thinking they can influence the church, which is ment to be beyond government inteference.

Agreed this place is designated as an independent monastic collective and by agreement by Greece they can govern themselves as they wish.

Now seriously.... It is a bit too much of a trifle to start protesting over, but a law that forbids women to go somewhere wased on nothing more than the fact that they are female (and more disgustingly, becuse females are 'impure') is pretty damn sad.

Not exactly.....

Monks feel that the presence of women alters the social dynamics of the community and therefore slows the path towards spiritual enlightenment. It is incorrect to suggest that the prohibition is in order to reduce sexual temptation. This myth has earned the Holy Mountain a certain amount of unnecessary notoriety. However, female domestic animals are forbidden (with the exception of cats, which keep down the rodent population, and chickens, which lay eggs that provide the fresh egg yolk needed for the paint used in iconography). The interdiction is punished by imprisonment from one to two years.

So therefore if you believe women should be allowed there, then men should be allowed into women's bathhouses and such because it obviously wouldn't upset the "social dynamic" there.

Also Mt. Athos has allowed women before, as refugees from warfare, and I would say since war all ready screws up social dynamics it wasn't too much of a problem.

Traditions are no excuse for discrimination.

So your saying that if I was an anarchist then I should be allowed to storm Buckingham Palace and piss on the throne there, after all they're discriminating against me just for the sake of "royalist tradition".

It's a matter of respect for other's beliefs, they were there first, it is up to them to decide their own rules and laws.

The monks want to leave in chastity and seeing female animale would weaken this.

Um...............Ermm, you may want to rephrase that, or at least I hope you want to rephrase that.........

Edited by JanusRook - 11-Jan-2008 at 00:29
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Quote Leonidas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 08:17
Good post janus.Smile

I need some clarification. Are we talking about the monastery itself (buildings and immediate surroundings), or simply the lands in posession of the monastery? That would make a difference...

I have never heard of monasteries banning visitors of the other sex at all... is that specific to the Orthodox Church?

it is a piece holy orthodox land, a peninsula to be exact, with a number of monasteries attached. The monastic community run this with a high level of autonomy and have done so for . While Greece has sovereignty over it, it doesn't actually run the place.

The importance of Mt Athos is very high within orthodox spirituality/ It is also an a important source of senior orthodox clergy that don't marry (as opposed to priest who can).  We are not talking about one or two forgotten monasteries. Its spiritual importance to the orthodox world, can be seen by early 19th century attempts by the Russians to gain some amount of sovereignty over it.

Edited by Leonidas - 11-Jan-2008 at 08:20
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 08:22

The article clearly implied that it is due to "female impurity."

The article is wrong on this aspect. Read other materials about this reglementation.. On the article on Wikipedia is stated:

Monks feel that the presence of women alters the social dynamics of the community and therefore slows the path towards spiritual enlightenment. It is incorrect to suggest that the prohibition is in order to reduce sexual temptation. This myth has earned the Holy Mountain a certain amount of unnecessary notoriety..

So, is not even about sexual atraction. In Orthodox Christian theology, nothing is impure (there are several verses in Paul's epistles about this) except what is done doubting (if you belief that something is sin and do it, then is sin).

Greatest spiritual center for men that is, if women cannot enjoy the same benefits of living in a convent on Mt. Athos then they are obviously excluded from general consensus.

The Mountain was established like a place for men. Not because in Orthodox belief women are considered inferior. There is a reference in one of Paul's epistles that the man is the head of woman but I haven't met in dogmatical works or in the writings of Holy Fathers that this is correct. Personaly, I believe that the man is not the head of woman in a marriage or that the man are superior in anything. The fact that priesthood is restricted to men is because it needs to be a discipline in Church.

As for a place where only wmen monasteries to be, it didn't appeared yet necesary because if would have felt that is necesary, would have been made.

Um...............Ermm, you may want to rephrase that, or at least I hope you want to rephrase that.........

I mean they want to have an as perfect environment as possible. Female domestic animals could sugest sexual ideas, as well as children (persons bellow 18 are not allowed in the Mountain, nor as monks or visitors).

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 09:53
How exactly does that bring discipline to the Church that men are priests? The early Church had had female priests and leaders. I know this is the case now, but the initial Church did not have such a strong emphasis on Male predominance in the Church. A similar thing happened in Islamic hierarchy where there were numerious important female leaders, imams, sheykhs but later a more patriarchical "clergy(a loose term considering that there is no official clergy in Islam)."
One should not confuse Patriarchal traditions for discipline.

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 12:44
Originally posted by es_bih

How exactly does that bring discipline to the Church that men are priests? The early Church had had female priests and leaders. I know this is the case now, but the initial Church did not have such a strong emphasis on Male predominance in the Church. A similar thing happened in Islamic hierarchy where there were numerious important female leaders, imams, sheykhs but later a more patriarchical "clergy(a loose term considering that there is no official clergy in Islam)." One should not confuse Patriarchal traditions for discipline.

Paul says that the bishop (in early decades of the Church this was meaning priest) should be man.

If both women and men would be priests would appear complications, like cases of adultery among the altar servants.

Never women have been priests, only deaconesses. Today the deaconesses no more exist but there is an interest to re-introduce them.

Edited by Menumorut - 11-Jan-2008 at 12:56

Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 15:57

There is a reference in one of Paul's epistles that the man is the head of woman but I haven't met in dogmatical works or in the writings of Holy Fathers that this is correct. Personaly, I believe that the man is not the head of woman in a marriage or that the man are superior in anything. The fact that priesthood is restricted to men is because it needs to be a discipline in Church.

Well, it is in the writings of the fathers, but generally in commentaries on Scripture rather than doctrinal treatises. I take your point even so: the man is not the head of the woman in the sense that modern polemicists on either side of gender-activism have commonly understood the term. You are entirely correct to state that man is not superior to woman in nature. Oh, for the record, I believe the Scripture to which you refer is I Cor 11: 2-3. Paul explicates quite a lot about gender roles in I Corinthians, and there is a bit in... hm... I want to say I Timothy as well.

I think I might start a thread on this topic, and if I do so, I invite you to discuss it with me. I think this thread has shown that the non-Orthodox hold an alarming number of misconceptions about the Orthodox Church's view of gender roles. The problem, as I see it, is that the modern mind has trouble grasping the way in which the early Church understood the terminology.

Originally posted by es_bih

The early Church had had female priests and leaders. I know this is the case now, but the initial Church did not have such a strong emphasis on Male predominance in the Church.

Incorrect. While women fulfilled many roles in the early Church, they were never ordained presbyters. As Menumorut has noted, women were ordained as deacons until the female diaconate fell into disuse around the turn of the first millenium -- there are currently efforts underway to revitalize this ministry, which have borne some fruit. Women also served as prophetesses, as is evidenced by the testimony of Scripture, as well as some fragmentary acts of post-Apostolic liturgies (and, forgive me, but I forgot where I found the latter, and would be hard placed to locate it).

-Akolouthos
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 16:10

I think I might start a thread on this topic, and if I do so, I invite you to discuss it with me.

Of course.

Edited by Menumorut - 11-Jan-2008 at 16:11

Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Jan-2008 at 16:19

Places are forbidden to certain persons for a certain reason, most certainly. Places that are forbidden for half the worlds population based on medieval notions of impurity is not quite the same as access to the men's restrooms. Traditions are no excuse for discrimination.

Promoting the access of women in such places, or female priesthood and other inovations is not a manifestation of justice but a useless mania. The ones defending su8ch things doesn't see the human aspect, they are fixed on some stereotypical reasonings.

A rather strong jump to go from allowing women to simply be present to promoting female priesthood. No one was suggesting any such thisn, so I see no reason for this strange turn. By the by, although I have not the least intention top promote female priesthood, as it is none of my concern if there are any or not, it is my view that opposing any debate on subjects like that is ignoring the human aspect of the matter and is the perfect example of stereotypical thinking. Just because priest have always been male is no reason to completely dismiss the possibility. There are male midwives and female doctors nowadays, and the world did not become worse because of it. Change is not bad by defenition.

The Holy Mount Athos was established as a place where only men are allowed due to a tradition which is very important for the Orthodox believers. Abolishing such things would efectively eliminate the most important symbol of Eastern Christianism and would have desastruous consequences for the Orthodox Church, actualy would mean its end. The priests, hyerarchs, monks and nuns would abandonate the public manifestations of their cult, including the church services and would adopt an individual form of living their religion with the permanent feeling of the imminent end of world. Because is prophetized that when the women would enter Athos will begin the end of the world.

This is nonsense. If a big strong institution like the church cannot overcome the presence of females, it would have died long before now. Besides, the idea that hundreds would fall from fate because women have walked that peninsula is not only prepostrous, but rather insulting to people's strength of faith as well.

Or better think logical: what reason would have a beautiful woman, married and satisfied with her life, to participate at feminist activities? 

I have had to ponder for a minute whether or not I would even bother to reply to this, as it obviously shows some real deep and impenetrable stupidity, ignorance and bigotry. But let me try...

Firstly, feminism is a way of thinking. Ways of thinking do not out themselves in peoples physical appearance. Saying that all feminists are ugly is like saying that all Christians are blondes, all communists have hooked noses and all kapitalists are fat. It is a dumb and idiot remark, and untrue to boot.

Secondly, a beautiful and married woman might be very interested in feminism. About twohundred years ago, women were not allowed to attend university, about a hundred years ago, women were not allowed to vote, about fifty years ago, married women were not allowed to own their own property or have payed jobs, about twenty years ago, women had little to nothing to say about the frequency and number of their pregnancies. The fact that women today can study, have jobs, vote for presidents and can decide to have no more than two kids are all very direct results of the hard work and preseverance of feminists. These things may not mean a lot to you, but they most certainly mean a lot to me, and many many other women with me.

And even today, in most countries, women earn less wages than men in the very same function. Feminists are the ones who think this is slightly unfair. Bus perhaps you think this is natural...

Now, you might think that a beautiful woman might have nothing more to wish for than a modern kitchen and a new washing machine, but it is my experience that most beautiful women who also have brains in their head actually have quite a lot they wish for, not least of all are a chance of self-development, the possibility of a carreer and full self-determination.

And believe it or not, but there are actually women, myself included, who do not think getting married is a womans ultimate goal and duty.

And one more thing about feminism.

I have read today something on a Romanian blog, the guys was saying that nobody is born woman or man. The gender, sexual orientation and being man or woman are three different things. We are born with a gender but we may decide if we become male or female and if we prefer men or women. So, the cause of feminism is false

If you have anything to back this up, I might consider to think of a reply. as it is 'a romanian blog' is hardly enough to warrant any of my time.

Originally posted by Janus

So your saying that if I was an anarchist then I should be allowed to storm Buckingham Palace and piss on the throne there, after all they're discriminating against me just for the sake of "royalist tradition".

It's a matter of respect for other's beliefs, they were there first, it is up to them to decide their own rules and laws.

Pissing on someones property is not really accepted as normal behaviour by any group, religion or culture. Walking across someones property is. I do not find your comparison all that strong.

Yes it is up to them to decide, I do not protest that. I just vented my personal opinion on their decision, and by your own words, my believes deserve respect just as well... Tongue

Edited by Aelfgifu - 11-Jan-2008 at 16:44

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>