Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Women in Greece challange Medieval law

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Women in Greece challange Medieval law
    Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 08:31
Originally posted by Anton

Well, I do not know. I found St.Panteleimon monastery in a list of Russian Patriarchy churches abroad.

Yes, Panteleimon is Russian...One of the most glorious monasteries of the past hosting up to 2000 monks and workers around the 18th century.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Jan-2008 at 04:17
Should women and ordinary laymen be granted access to Athos, it would be a blow against the practice of excluding people from territory based on religious grounds. Though I doubt it would have massive consequences elsewhere, it would set an interesting precedent for those who would desire Mecca be opened to non-Muslims.
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 22:12
Certainly Antioxos; it's always a pleasure to be asked to translate. It goes like this:

Hey Hitler,

How's it going? This occupation thing is all well and good, but it's startin' to cramp up our monastic-coolness, so we were wondering if you could just go ahead and piss off -- you know, leave us the hell alone, so we could pray. Anyway, thanks in advance.

The monks

In case you hadn't noticed, I am also incapable of translating it. Wink Kyriacos Markides had a little blurb on the letter in Mountain of Silence, though it didn't contain a translation, as far as I remember. It would be interesting if one of our Greek forumers would take the time to translate it.

-Akolouthos, Supporter of Monastic-Coolness
Antioxos View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Antioxos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 21:50
Well i have something very interesting for you , the letter that the monks send to Hitler after the occupation of Greece .
This letter  ask from Hitler to undertake mount Athos under his personal protection .
The main reason  of this letter was to avoid to be mount Athos under the Bulgarian occupation.It would be very interesting if any other Greek forumer can translate this letter to English because i don't have this capability .
The compliments in the last paragraph didn't help Hitler  to survive.Big%20smile

Εν Αγίω Όρει τη 13/26 Απριλίου 1941

Προς την Αυτού Εξοχότητα τον Αρχικαγκελλάριον του ενδόξου Γερμανικού Κράτους Κύριον Αδόλφον Χίτλερ εις Βερολίνον.

Εξοχότατε,

Οι βαθυσεβάστως υποσημειούμενοι Αντιπρόσωποι των Είκοσιν Ιερών Βασιλικών Πατριαρχικών καί Σταυροπηγιακών Μονών του Αγίου Όρους Άθω, λαμβάνομεν την εξαιρετικήν τιμήν νʼ απευθυνθώμεν προς την Υμετέραν Εξοχότητα καί παρακαλέσωμεν Αυτήν θερμώς, όπως, ευαρεστημένη, αναλάβη υπό την Υψηλήν προσωπικήν Αυτής προστασίαν καί κηδεμονίαν τον Ιερόν τούτον Τόπον, του οποίου Ηγούμενοι καί αντιπρόσωποι τυγχάνομεν, διαδεχομένη εν τούτω τους ιδρυτάς καί Ευεργέτας του Ιερού τούτου Τόπου Βυζαντινούς Αυτοκράτορας καί διαδόχους τούτων.

Το Άγιον Όρος, Εξοχώτατε, συνέστη εις Πανορθόδοξον μοναχικήν πολιτείαν, εις ήν

ανέκαθεν διαβιούν εν αγαστή ομονοία μοναχοί ακωλύτως προσερχόμενοι από διάφορα ορθόδοξα Έθνη, κατά τον Θ΄ μ.Χ. αιώνα, πνευματικώς μέν εξαρτωμένων από του Οικουμενικού Πατριαρχείου Κωνσταντινουπόλεως, πολιτικώς δέ αυτοδιοικούμενον υπό της Ιεράς Συνάξεως των Αντιπροσώπων των Είκοσιν Ιερών καί Κυριάρχων Μονών καί πολιτειακώς υπαγομένων υπό την προστασίαν καί κηδεμονίαν των Βυζαντινών Αυτοκρατόρων καί των διαδόχων Αυτών.

Το Αυτονομιακόν τούτο πολίτευμα περιεθριγκώθη διʼ αλλεπαλλήλων τυπικών καί Χρυσοβούλων των ιδρυτών καί ευεργετών των Ιερών μονών Βυζαντινών Αυτοκρατόρων Βασιλείου του Μακεδόνος(882), Ιωάννου Τσιμισκή(972), Κωνσταντίνου Μονομάχου(1046), Στεφάνου Δουσάν(1346) καί άλλων Σλαύων, Ουγγροβλάχων Ηγεμόνων καί των μετέπειτα Σουλτανικών Φιρμανίων τελευταίως δε υπό του Καταστατικού Χάρτου του 1926, ούτινος δύο αντίτυπα εσωκλείομεν.

Το ουτωσί καθιερωθέν προνομιακόν καί αυτοδιοίκητον καθεστώς του Ιερού τούτου Τόπου, αποτελέσαν αντικείμενον συζητήσεων καί επικυρώσεων διαφόρων διεθνών συνθηκών περιεθριγκώθη τέλος, διά του 62ου άρθρου της Βερολινείου συνθήκης του έτους 1878, έχοντος ούτω, οι μοναχοί του Όρους Άθω οθενδήποτε καί αν κατάγωνται θα διατηρήσωσι τά κτήματα καί τα πρότερα αυτών δικαιώματα καί θʼ απολαύωσιν, άνευ ουδεμιάς εξαιρέσεως, πλήρους ισότητος δικαιωμάτων καί προνομίων.

Των εν Αγίω Όρει ενασκουμένων Μοναχών, ανεξαρτήτως τόπου προελεύσεως καί Εθνικότητος, σκοπός καί αποστολή καθ' όλον τον υπερχιλιετή βίον του Αγίου Όρους, υπήρξεν η διατήρησις, προαγωγή καί εξασφάλισις των Ιερών αυτού σκηνωμάτων, η διά της ακαταπονήτου φιλεργίας των εν αυτώ ενασκουμένων μοναχών καλλιέργεια της τε εκκλησιαστικής καί κλασσικής φιλολογίας καί καλλιτεχνίας, ο ασκητικός βίος καί η διηνεκής προσευχή υπέρ του σύμπαντος κόσμου.

Την διατήρησιν του καθεστώτος τούτου της αυτονόμου μοναχικής πολιτείας, ικανοποιούντος πλήρως άπαντας τους εν Αγίω Όρει ενασκουμένους ανεξαρτήτως εθνικότητος Ορθοδόξους μοναχούς καί εναρμονιζόμενοι προς τον σκοπόν καί την αποστολήν αυτών, παρακαλούμεν καί ικετεύομεν θερμώς την Υμετέραν Εξοχότητα όπως αναλάβη υπό την υψηλήν προστασίαν καί κηδεμονίαν Αυτής.

Τον Βασιλέα των Βασιλευόντων καί Κύριον των Κυριευόντων εξ όλης ψυχής καί καρδίας ικετεύοντες, όπως επιδαψιλεύση τη Υμετέρα Εξοχότητι υγείαν καί μακροημέρευσιν επ' αγαθώ του ενδόξου Γερμανικού Έθνους.

Υποσημειούμεθα βαθυσεβάστως.

Edited by Antioxos - 15-Jan-2008 at 21:51

By antioxos at 2007-08-20
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 17:02

Well, I do not know. I found St.Panteleimon monastery in a list of Russian Patriarchy churches abroad.

Menumorut is correct. Though the monasteries of the Holy Mountain do have a traditional degree of self-government, they are canonically obligated to commemorate the Ecumenical Patriarch, who is their direct episcopal overseer. The failure of the monks of Esphigmenou to do so was the cause of their expulsion, which is still a matter of some contention.

That said, there are monks from a variety of nationalities on Athos, which may be the cause of some of the confusion. The mountain itself, however, is under the jurisdiction of the Patriarchate of Constantinople.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 15-Jan-2008 at 17:04
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 16:12
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 15:51

Also, not all monasteries belong to Greek Orthodox Church. As far as I know there are Russian, Bulgarian and Serbian monasteries there.

Wrong. All the monasteries in the Mountain are jurisdictionaly dependent og Constantinople patriarchy.

Traditionaly, some of the monasteries are peopled each one mostly by one of the Orthodox peoples.

Panteleimon by Russians (at the beginning of 20th century there were 1500 monks), actualy today more by Ukrainians (some tens), Zographos by Bulgarians, Chilandar by Serbs. In the past Cutlumus was peopled by Romanians and Iviron Georgians but they were all of Greek origin and actualy Greek monasteries.

Today the Romanians are concentrated in the Prodromu skete (is big and looking like a monastery but its status is of skete), Lacu skete (a hermitage village) and Vatopedion, where there is the bigest group of Romanians (70, if I'm not wrong). Prodromu belongs to the Lavra monastery and the Romanian community is one of most enthuziast. Romanians are spread too in other monasteries and hermitages.

xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 13:46
Correct. One of each.

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 13:43
Also, not all monasteries belong to Greek Orthodox Church. As far as I know there are Russian, Bulgarian and Serbian monasteries there.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 11:48
As many have said so far...Mt Athos is an independent state within Greece. It has its own laws, that can only be challenged by the ecumenical patriarch and not by the Greek state.

When this state was created in the "Tortuga" of the mediteranean (as I call it due to the pirate settlements there), those people wanted to take distance from the joys of life and devote themselves to god. That is difficult to do if you have uncontrolled entrance of tourists and especially if those are of the opposite sex. It is pitty that women can't experience that wonderful nature and the medieval feeling but those are the rules.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 10:56
4 pages. About peeing in Buckhingham palace, about gays seducing monks, about Monks having impure thoughts about cats. God almighty!.

Its a monestry. We have 33 churches in Islamabad. I am as a muslim not allowed to enter any of them, except with premission. They can have whatever rules they like, unless they are advesrly affecting the rights of others. Thats that.
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Jan-2008 at 09:28

Insisting on having an opinion about everything is a typically Dutch deviation.

, ok, that is a good answer.

Why not the opposite opinion then?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 23:08
Originally posted by Styrbiorn

Look, I have to ask something to Aelf & Mix:
Why do you care?

I know it's far away and whatever I think of it is completely irrellevant, but that doesn't mean I am not allowed to have an opinion about it.

Insisting on having an opinion about everything is a typically Dutch deviation.
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 15:26
Originally posted by Omar al Hashim

Look, I have to ask something to Aelf & Mix:
Why do you care?

So a few monasteries on a mountain don't permit women? This is completely irrelevant. I can't shop at the supermarket in the US embassy. Is this a restriction of my freedom of movement?
Well, yes, but it doesn't matter, because its trivial.

People have traditions, if it isn't hurting anyone leave it alone!
For example, the Dutch have a tradition of being completely uninhibited, I don't try to change this, why are you trying to change the Greeks?

For whatever it's worth, I entirely agree with this.
xristar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote xristar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jan-2008 at 15:04
Wow, this thread has evolved much since I posted last!

Now, if anyone cares to hear my oppinion, having visited Mt. Athos (as a pilgrim):
Mt. Athos is a peninsula, with virgin nature. It has something like 30 medieval monasteries. It used to have some villages in ancient times, but in the middle ages it barely had any population. It was declared by the Byzantine law as an autonomous holy region, where only monasteries should exist. Till this day Mt. Athos doesn't have permanent villages (apart from a tiny port with a toll post, and  the governmental center, with the governmental buildings and some inns). The autonomity of Mt.Athos was respected by the Ottomans who conquered the area, and then by the Greek state who occupied it in the early 20th cent. The mountain doesn't have anything apart from monasteries and their dependant facilities (including isolated monks etc) and paths through the forests to connect them.
Females and young males are not allowed. Typically tourists are also not allowed. Anyone who goes there is either a pilgrim or a worker (to help build new infrastructure, or maintain the ancient monasteries). You have got to get permission to enter, for a limited number of days, and find in which monasteries you will stay.
In the monastery the monks treat you not like a tourist, but as a pilgrim. You stay in cells (in the first monastery I went we were 20 strangers in one big cell, with one toillet). The monks wake you up in 3 or 4 am in the morning (mind you, they use byzantine hour system there), and you all go to the central church to pray. At 8.00 am you are called to eat in a large hall with big tables, with all the monks , mostly bean soup, with a fruit, and wine. Later, the monks attain their jobs, which is mostly farming for supplies for the monastery, while the pilgrims are free. After 8.00 pm the gates are closed, and you can see only absolute darkness out of the cell's window.
Life follows medieval ways. The monasteries are all medieval. Some don't have electicity everywhere (the church of Megisti Lavra had only candles, which at 4.00 am with all the black dressed monks making a circle create a mystical and surreal picture).

I personally feel that forbidding women from entering may be  a little  sexist and unfair. But on the other had, as someone already said, these people were already there.
Do women feel the religious need to visit holy places? They are free to do so, in the Holy Lands, on in verious monasteries of the world. Mt.Athos has nothing SO special.
Do women (and their men) simply have materialistic motives (as in this case to take some of the virgin uncultivated land belonging to the monasteries to make farmlands out of them, and make money?) I won't help them, that's for sure.
Do women feel simply they need to attack and invade this territory? That's simply as unjustified as a country attacking another with no casus belli, -they have to respect the will of these free people. Nonetheless, the Greek state (and I guess the whole orthodox world) will be there to protect them.

Unless the leaders of Mt.Athos decide to allow women, I think every effort to abolish the Avaton (by the EU or feminist organizations) is a direct violation of these people's rights.

Edited by xristar - 14-Jan-2008 at 15:08

Defeat allows no explanation
Victory needs none.
It insults the dead when you treat life carelessly.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 02:36
I make a difference beteen backward and conservative.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jan-2008 at 01:24
I am not sure I understand you. I expressed my point of view. If you don't like it is your right.

I thought you were eluding to the fact that the Orthodox church was backwards and needed to update it's belief system to allow women onto Mt. Athos. I was merely stating that progression isn't always positive, the germanic tribes decimating Rome were quick and progressive yet they didn't necessarily improve Roman authority now did they? If I have offended it was not my intend looking at the statement it does seem a bit harsh, trust me it's more sarcastic than threatening.

Neither you can prove this nor I can prove the opposite.

Certainly it's occured many times in the past. A church who cannot maintain its authority in the eyes of the people will lose those people to other churches. Although I guess technically backwards is a subjective term, I meant it in the fact that traditions are less appealing than other available faiths.

What does it mean "must"? Who determines this "must"?

Basically the body of worshippers chooses when a church must change because if a church doesn't change when the churches community does it loses the community to another religion.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:40
Originally posted by JanusRook

Just because church traditions change too slowly for you doesn't mean they need to speed up the pace.

I am not sure I understand you. I expressed my point of view. If you don't like it is your right.

If the traditions are backwards they will lose worshipers
Neither you can prove this nor I can prove the opposite. Moreover, if for instance church will try to change its position to more conservative one on certain principle questions I myself will stop going there. As many sensible but religious people I suppose. Wink

thus religions only change when they must and as of yet the Orthodox church has shown that change is not necessary
What does it mean "must"? Who determines this "must"?
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:26
In addition to women ministers es_bih from your own link....

It is therefore not likely that men would view female preachers as credible sources for new religious ideas. Because of those attitudes, women had to support the gospel in other ways.

Thus it is highly unlikely that women would be recognized as legitimate ministers of Christ.

Saul apparently viewed Christian women as a serious threat to Jewish orthodoxy, probably because they were spreading the gospel to other women.

This statement makes the question of women ministers moot because it is not the "early christian church", in the context of an unbroken line of christian tradition. Rather this could be construed as a segment of long extinct heresies and schisms in the Christian church. Gnostics had women preachers are we to include them into the current Christian church?

Since Lydia had a successful business and owned the meeting location, it is probably safe to say that she was influential in the church, but Luke does not give her a formal title.

This is exactly keeping with the role of women in the Christian church, no formal titles of authority, but a role in guiding that authority, much the same as a president's wife influences certain decisions.

Since diakonos can mean either deacon or servant, some translations have chosen deacon (e.g., NRSV), while others have chosen servant (NIV) or minister (NAB). If a man had been called a diakonos of the church, most translators would have used the word deacon,[6] but some translators do not believe that the early church had female deacons and therefore choose servant.

I would not dispute the fact that women were deaconesses but they had a far different role than that of deacons in the church. Mostly they were in charge of teaching women Christianity in a culture where sexual division was high.

As the person who carried the letter to Rome, Phoebe may have been asked to read the letter aloud to the assembled believers, and she may have been expected to convey verbal greetings from Paul and answer questions about what Paul may have meant by any phrases the audience found confusing.

I have acted as a lecter for my church on numerous occasions, this does not make me an authority figure in the church and neither does it make women authority figures.

----------

Also this source the Worldwide Church of God is an organization less than a hundred years old with a membership less than 50,000 people. Also it is a self-proclaimed evangelic church meaning that trappings of sola scriptura are the main source of faith. This means that they reject the evolution of Christianity as a world religion and instead rely just on the static and convuluted works of the Bible to define their doctrine.

JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jan-2008 at 19:07
These practices are however kept in form of church traditions and because of church are changing too slowly if you ask me.

Just because church traditions change too slowly for you doesn't mean they need to speed up the pace. If the traditions are backwards they will lose worshipers, however with Mt. Athos this does not seem to be happening, thus religions only change when they must and as of yet the Orthodox church has shown that change is not necessary.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>