Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Alexander Greek Macedonian Contorversy

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
bilal_ali_2000 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Online Status: Offline
  Quote bilal_ali_2000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Alexander Greek Macedonian Contorversy
    Posted: 09-Jan-2008 at 22:09
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWIKDhhTvnU&feature=related     

I laughed my head off. What do you think, was Alexander Greek or a Macedon
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jan-2008 at 22:10
Hellen/Greek.

a Great Great video btw.

Edited by Spartakus - 09-Jan-2008 at 22:12
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jan-2008 at 00:35

I'm not so clued up on the ethic theories behind this controversy, but I have some reading to do about it (thanks for everyone who provided me with recommendations). Basically I don't think that FYROM has anything to do with the ancient Greek kingdom of Macedon - the ancient state was more or less within the confines of the current Greek boarders, and these people were pretty obviously Hellenes who spoke Greek and practiced many aspects of Greek culture - they weren't Slavs and for the inhabitants of FYROM to claim that ancient Macedon had any relationship to them they would have to proove that the ancient Macedonians were Slavs which really doesn't seem very likely. Anyway, that's just my view - as I said I don't really know what I'm talking about LOL but I've tried to give some opinion - however basic - on the issue. But some of the defenses by modern day Macedonians as to the nature and ethno-linguistics of the ancient macedonians (like the Rossetta stone decoding/Petro Invictus vs. Flipper thread) seem to be interesting and valid as well...

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 11:50
Movie is excellent but comments from Macedonians says it is probably not representative for the whole country Smile Greek comments are also informative.

I see  the main message in the movie as follows: some people in Macedonia have very balanced and realistic point of view. Especially I liked the girl stating that Greek PR machinery is more smart and strong. Smile
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 11:57
To be honest many people in FYROMacedonia are balanced and don't really care that much. It is mainly the diaspora who gets fanatic.

Interresting comments by the former minister...I agree with him, even though more could be said.

As for the question...No matter if you are pro or skeptic to the ancient macedonia issue, the Royal House was from Argos, not native Macedonian. In that case, Alexander was Argead and Aecidae (from his mothers side).

Edited by Flipper - 15-Feb-2008 at 12:00

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 17:50
SlavoMacedonian are a Western Bulgarian dialect.
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 17:55
Originally posted by Anton

Movie is excellent but comments from Macedonians says it is probably not representative for the whole country Smile Greek comments are also informative.

Anton are things like this satyrized often in Bulgaria?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pVzPSwV_4K8

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:08
Smile One of the comments says: "the whole world sold itself to Bulgar tatars". LOL But speaking seriously I do not support that kind of jokes really. They are too rude if you ask me.
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 18:17
Yeah ok, just asking. It was kinda funny though.

Anton View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Anton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Feb-2008 at 19:11
It was Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply