Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mughal and Safavid Empires

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
khalid bin walid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote khalid bin walid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mughal and Safavid Empires
    Posted: 31-Oct-2005 at 18:23

just curious as to whether the persian word for lion and tiger is the same or are there specific words for both. I know that in some  languages there are common words for both animals eg. Sher (big cat, lion, tiger)

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2005 at 10:22

The Persian word for lion is Shir, it is interesting to know that Sher (Hindi), Shizi (Chinese), Shishi (Japenese), Shimha (Bengali), Simba (Swahili), Singa (Indonesian), ... come from this word. (Sri Lanka and Singapore mean "Land of Lions")

And the modern Persian word for tiger is "Babr" which is in fact the arabicized form of old Persian Bapr.

khalid bin walid View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote khalid bin walid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2005 at 01:02

Cheers for that...

------------------------------------------------------------ ----------------------

The tiger rends his prey, the jackal, too, benefits by it.
ګړ ښ

The jackal is a tiger's attendant, and eats his leavings. The meaning is that a strong man both maintains himself and his dependents.

(pashto proverb)

Edited by khalid bin walid
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2005 at 22:43
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

The Persian word for lion is Shir, it is interesting to know that Sher (Hindi), Shizi (Chinese), Shishi (Japenese), Shimha (Bengali), Simba (Swahili), Singa (Indonesian), ... come from this word. (Sri Lanka and Singapore mean "Land of Lions")

And the modern Persian word for tiger is "Babr" which is in fact the arabicized form of old Persian Bapr.

So what is the origins of the word : Palang

Is that Turkish?  I believe Sher means Lion, Palang means Tiger, but I could be wrong.

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 23:37

Battle of Chaldiran was really a disaster for Iran, Iranians were fighting with sword and bow and arrows, but Ottomans had Cannons and guns. So Ottomans scared Iranians and defeated them in a totaly unequal battle!

Iranian? Cyrus stop masturbating by making Turkic people to be Iranian...

Ismael Shah is one of our greatest ancestors...

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2005 at 23:41

Poems by Ismael Shah:

Do you understand these, you cheuvenist?

Let me tell you, I do...

edited

Hulagu, plz provide translation if you want to post any non-english articls here.

Edited by azimuth
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 11:49

So what is the origins of the word : Palang

Palang is also a Persian word which means "Panther".

be polite!  Turkic people are those nomadic tribes who live in Central Asia.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:46

be polite!  Turkic people are those nomadic tribes who live in Central Asia.

Omg, are they still in central asia? Cuz last time ive checked they ruled iran for 1000 years and conquered 3 continents for more then 400 years.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 13:54
HulaguHan wrote:
Cyrus Shahmiri wrote:

Battle of Chaldiran was really a disaster for Iran, Iranians were fighting with sword and bow and arrows, but Ottomans had Cannons and guns. So Ottomans scared Iranians and defeated them in a totaly unequal battle!

Ismael Shah is one of our greatest ancestors...

Either your knowledge of the Safavids is extremely limited, or you are the real Chauvinist.   What did the Safavids call their empire?  OghuzAzarbaijanestan?  NO

The Safavid imperial title was "Shahanshah of Iran" (in the West known as Persia).

Rex (King)

Per *** (guess the next three letters).

"Shach Abas Persarum Rex (Shah Abbas, King/ Sovereign of Persia)"

If they were such Turkish nationalists as u claim, WHY call themselves Shah? Why not Khakhakhan or whatever? Why SHAH? And why was their empire called IRAN?

They didn't care, they saw themselves as Iranian, does not matter about ethnicity - Iran has never been a country divided on ethnic lines, we have had Torki, Lori, Turkoman and Persian rulers and all of them knew themselves as Iranian and only Iranian and their empire was never called anything EXCEPT Iran.  Take your grey clown nonsense elsewhere.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:23
zagros dont play with words.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:38
something Turks should FINALLY realize is that the ethnicity of a people doesn't change just because the ruler is not of the same ethnicity as his subjects. the last two dynasties of Britain were House Hanover and Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, the last two dynasties of Greece were House Wittelsbach and Oldenburg, Romania was ruled by the House Hohenzollern, the same House that ruled Germany. do you think Brits, Greeks and Romanians are in any way Germans?
Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:43

Originally posted by DayI

This is the truth and it's not the play with words. In Iran lives many ethnic groups and they are all iranians. So safavids has accepted their Iranian nationality and ruled Iran. Look at America, are all american people natives of this land? no, but they call themselves American. Or in Germany no noe claims he is slav or frank or burgund, they are germans.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 14:46
Originally posted by Maziar

Originally posted by DayI

This is the truth and it's not the play with words. In Iran lives many ethnic groups and they are all iranians. So safavids has accepted their Iranian nationality and ruled Iran. Look at America, are all american people natives of this land? no, but they call themselves American. Or in Germany no noe claims he is slav or frank or burgund, they are germans.

I agree with this but not with OghuzAzarbaijanestan and  Khakhakhan.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 15:22

Cyrus said that the battle was a disaster for Iran, Hagulu said that he should stop being a chuavinist by saying that the country of the Safavids was Iran.  So obviously hagulu thinks that the country was called something else.  So I asked him, what was it called? "OghuzAzarbaijanestan"  I wouldn't be surprised if such a name had been contrived by people like him.

And what is wrong with saying khakhakhan? is it some sort of sacred word that I am not allowed to say? 

Maziar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Arteshbod

Quote Maziar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Nov-2005 at 15:23

Day I,

Why do you think Azerbayjan may be different? They are a mix of iranian and turks, so no one in azerbayjan can claim today he is pur iranina or pur turk. let us call them turko persian and put an end to this war. Believe me my friend, it would disturb no one in azerbayjan to be turk or irani, they will laugh at us, if they knew what we are discusing here. So let them live in peace.

My mother was azeri too and i love Azerbayjan people very much

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 11:33
Originally posted by Maziar

I agree with people who lives in Iran, who eats from Iran are iranians but ethnicity are different. Actually that's a dangerous game deliverd by the west, in earlyer times nobody cared about ethnics, do you know exactly what etniciy Mevlana Rumi whas? I guess of "unknown". Because they did unite themselfs under a one name "Muslim".

That is true, and it was actually started by Imperial Russia and continued by the West.

Edited by Zagros
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2005 at 14:12

omg, DayI - I am sorry, I meant to write a reply but I hit the wrong button and edited your post instead.

DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Nov-2005 at 08:03
Originally posted by Zagros

omg, DayI - I am sorry, I meant to write a reply but I hit the wrong button and edited your post instead.

thanks anyway, i whas searching a formule to stop that discussion Anyway i dont want discuss that topic further.
HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 04:01

Originally posted by Temujin

something Turks should FINALLY realize is that the ethnicity of a people doesn't change just because the ruler is not of the same ethnicity as his subjects. the last two dynasties of Britain were House Hanover and Sachsen-Coburg-Gotha, the last two dynasties of Greece were House Wittelsbach and Oldenburg, Romania was ruled by the House Hohenzollern, the same House that ruled Germany. do you think Brits, Greeks and Romanians are in any way Germans?

Temujin, do not play with words.

House of Hanover did not speak German, but Safavids SPOKE TURKISH. I POSTED HIS POEMS, you disrespectables deleted them. THEY SPOKE TURKISH.

DO NOT PLAY WITH WORDS!!!!!!!!!

HulaguHan View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote HulaguHan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Nov-2005 at 04:02
By the way, British, as being dominated by English, a Germanic tribe, are Germanics...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>