Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Confronting Militant Atheism

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>
Author
SearchAndDestroy View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Online Status: Offline
  Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Confronting Militant Atheism
    Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 16:04
Still, I think it is fair to discuss "atheists" in a thread by virtue of the fact that the general term allows us to speak to the views of those who hold the ideology.
The one name that constantly pops up when speaking of "Militant Atheism" though is Communism. A Political system, and if this is the strongest arguement for militant atheism, then why not just discuss Communism and it's effects on religion? Because the only people pushing the definition in this thread are believers, and all the athiest in the thread don't share anything in common with Communism really and want to be distanced from it. It's obvious that Communisms secular views are more about getting rid of the idea of organized religion or any group that can threaten it, then it is about being athiest. You may be able to make someone agnostic which is a stretch, but you can never turn someone into a athiest. Having believed in a god at one time in the past and being athiest now was something that had no outside influence, it was a conclusion I made myself.
In other wrods, Communist regimes can brainwash someone into believing their system is right because they have something of substance to follow, but I can't say I've seen anyone truely become athiest through someone else talking about it. Atheism is a yes or no to one question, is there a god, religion is a life style that you can choose to follow, much like a political system. Idealogies go against each other, ex: Communism vs Christianity. Atheism vs Believer/Of Faith is a definition of your stance.
For instance, you cannot be atheist and claim the Bible is literally true (thus, automatically, atheism means the Bible is literally false
This sort of seems like a cop out to me. Ofcourse a athiest doesn't believe it literally true, how can we say otherwise? But it's nothing added to us having something in common. You'd be creating a paradox by saying "No I don't believe in the Christian god, but yes I fully believe in the bible!". Thats a given and not really a choice, it's a impossiblity and a bad example of trying to show athiests have more incommon then just the idea of not believing in the supernatural. The two go hand in hand!
 A good example would be saying that two athiest believe all religions should be abolished. It's something that would represent a common idea that is not a must in being a athiest. That would be a definition of a ideology starting, and from that it would cause a group to be formed, but does not represent all athiest, which means, you can't once again group us, because again atheism represents a definition.
Originally posted by Cezar

It seems that the conclusion should be that there are militant atheists but ther is no militant atheism.

I don't really see how that follows...

By virtue of the fact that there are militant atheists, we
I think it makes perfect sense. Let me reverse the role then. What if we always spoke of "Militant Believers"? Everytime the KKK did something bad, and they do call themselves a Christian organization, do you think most Christians and even other religions would appreciate them only being refered to as a Militant group of Believers?  I mean, I have seen people get up set when someone says religion does more harm to civilization, I see it all the time. And that a sweeping accusation just like this is. You say Militant Athiest and you only think of athiest. It's part of the reason that we are the most untrusted group of people in the United States. Communism and Athiest have been so closely tied together due to past campaigns against Communism, that now people in the US automaticly assocciate atheism with bad. But when you speak of a group of people saying they are religious, the first thing people of religious background ask, "Of what religion were they?", and even then if it's not their religion, they may insult them. You only have to look on the news or speak to a Christian about Muslims and vice versa and they say how different they are or go to insults. They don't make the connection that they are related, but look at differences.

So why can people of religion talk of distinctions between each other? But atheism and communism have to be linked for example? Because of this, I don't even like to be called a athiest.
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 16:13
Search,

I will simply note that I said nothing about communism here. Since you brought it up, though, one can hardly separate religion from the persecution of Russian Christians under the Communists.

As for my second quote, of which you represented half, your answer has naught to do with the question. Once again, I said nothing about communism. The point stands: By virtue of the fact that there are militant atheists, there is such a thing as militant atheism. The same logic holds for any system of belief; this does not mean that all atheists are militant any more than the application of the term "militant Christian" would designate all Christians as such.

-Akolouthos
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 16:25
I will simply note that I said nothing about communism here. Since you brought it up, though, one can hardly separate religion from the persecution of Russian Christians under the Communists.
I was going with the topic that has been discussed these few past pages and it's exactly what I'm trying to explain. If you want to substitute another word for communism, thats fine, but I'm discussing the history and idea behind more then the idea of Communism. Like I said, Communism and Atheism are always linked and has given a strong perception on the idea of atheism with untrust that lasts to this day.
"militant Christian" would designate all Christians as such.
Yet people still get upset about that designation. When the IRA is discussed, everyone automaticly says it's more to do with politics then religion(which let me say I agree, I've just seen it argued about them being motivated with the idea of protestants vs catholics). Same with Militant Muslims, Muslims on our forum say that it's more political and has nothing to do with Islam.
But Militant Atheism, again, the only name I ever seen brought up as a true example is Communism, and maybe not by you, but I haven't seen another true organization yet that can be truely termed as "Militant". 
"A patriot must always be ready to defend his country against his government." E.Abbey
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 16:34
Originally posted by Search and Destroy

Yet people still get upset about that designation. When the IRA is discussed, everyone automaticly says it's more to do with politics then religion(which let me say I agree, I've just seen it argued about them being motivated with the idea of protestants vs catholics). Same with Militant Muslims, Muslims on our forum say that it's more political and has nothing to do with Islam.
But Militant Atheism, again, the only name I ever seen brought up as a true example is Communism, and maybe not by you, but I haven't seen another true organization yet that can be truely termed as "Militant". 

Yes, and the fact that there are a variety of opinions begs that we think about them, and try to come up with the best analysis of each situation as possible. I'll go with the Christian example:

In my opinion, the IRA is motivated by militant Catholicism a bit more than the Bolsheviks were motivated by militant atheism. The IRA's militant Catholicism has much to do with a series of political and cultural factors that stem from centuries of conflict between the Irish and English. In this sense -- and perhaps in others -- we may call them anti-Catholic.

This is what we must do; we must think. Simply throwing up our hands and saying "There are many opinions," or "Well, you guys do it too," is not a viable option. As for the term "militant", it is simply the designation that we choose to apply to a particular degree of fervor -- and often recklessness -- exhibited by an individual or group which holds a particular set of beliefs.

-Akolouthos
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:04
Yes, and the fact that there are a variety of opinions begs that we think about them,
Precisely what I've been saying. I'm tired of being grouped up with one ideology that has recieved this label when it can be called Communism. As you explained the IRA, you catagorired them as Catholic Militants, but if you ever were to talk about them alone it'd be IRA brought up not "Those Catholic Militants that bommbed the building".
But all I can see is one group that that comes close to getting the title of militant athiest, and I think they were more concerned with politics and economy and fighting capitalism then anything else. Hell, during WW2 Stalin supported the Russian Orthodox Church, though used it as a political device to up morale of the Russian people. But shows that it wasn't a strong athiestic ideology, I doubt the opposite would be true with the church putting their faith into a Athiest leader of some sorts.

Edited by SearchAndDestroy - 17-Jan-2008 at 17:05
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:11
Originally posted by SearchandDestroy

Precisely what I've been saying. I'm tired of being grouped up with one ideology that has recieved this label when it can be called Communism. As you explained the IRA, you catagorired them as Catholic Militants, but if you ever were to talk about them alone it'd be IRA brought up not "Those Catholic Militants that bommbed the building".

Well, as I said, just because the designation "militant" is applicable to an individual atheist, or even a group, does not mean that it is applicable to all atheists. The term is used to describe a particular fervor or fanaticism. Here, we are speaking of "militant atheism", not the more garden variety sort.

But all I can see is one group that that comes close to getting the title of militant athiest, and I think they were more concerned with politics and economy and fighting capitalism then anything else. Hell, during WW2 Stalin supported the Russian Orthodox Church, though used it as a political device to up morale of the Russian people. But shows that it wasn't a strong athiestic ideology, I doubt the opposite would be true with the church putting their faith into a Athiest leader of some sorts.

I doubt Stalin's support of the Church provided much consolation to the new-martyrs of Russia; thankfully, they are enjoying consolation of a much more potent sort. And no, this does not show "that it [Russian communism] wasn't a strong atheistic ideology" -- indeed, it shows nothing of the sort. It simply shows that pragmatism generally wins over ideology in the world. Stalin compromised the ideals of persecution and disenfranchisment to help save the U.S.S.R.; this stands in stark contrast to the new-martyrs of Russia, who refused to compromise eternal values to save their very lives.

-Akolouthos
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:14
This sort of seems like a cop out to me. Ofcourse a athiest doesn't believe it literally true, how can we say otherwise? But it's nothing added to us having something in common. You'd be creating a paradox by saying "No I don't believe in the Christian god, but yes I fully believe in the bible!". Thats a given and not really a choice, it's a impossiblity and a bad example of trying to show athiests have more incommon then just the idea of not believing in the supernatural. The two go hand in hand!
It's not that simple. When many atheists dismiss the religion (the supernatural, if you wish) they do not say only "I don't believe in God, hence the Bible texts are not true" they regard the Bible as invented by mortal beings (it is no one else out there to carry, even hypothetically, the responsability), that morality is not dictated by some deity, etc., it's a whole perspective which covers many things, it's not merely an abstract belief. Thus "I'm an atheist and the only thing which can be said about me is that  I do not believe in gods" is not true, though the definition of the term claims only that.

I honestly haven't meant to generalize what I've said of militant atheism for the atheism. I only wanted to suggest militant atheism (as most militant ideologies, including militant religious ones) is a dangerous thing using the classical example of the communism.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:21
Well, as I said, just because the designation "militant" is applicable to an individual atheist, or even a group, does not mean that it is applicable to all atheists. The term is used to describe a particular fervor or fanaticism. Here, we are speaking of "militant atheism", not the more garden variety sort.
True, I just haven't heard or seen a real example of it yet except one, and that one I see more of having to do with politics then anything else.
I doubt Stalin's support of the Church provided much consolation to the new-martyrs of Russia; thankfully, they are enjoying consolation of a much more potent sort.
He used it more of a device to unite Russians and give a feeling of unitity and comfort from what I understand. The Churches were only supported when things looked bad if I remember correctly.
And I agree that it was ment to save the USSR, or well, gain more support of the people. It was ment to bring about hope more then anything else. But I could never see a Strong Religious government that would want to get rid of athiest look for their help later on. Reason being is they have values and ideologies that are in complete contrast to the otherwise. But to me this shows that Communism wanted to get rid of a group that it saw as a threat together, but doesn't mind asking for a groups help when needed. In otherwords, it's not after religion because it's spiritual, but because it was a group with it's own powerful leaders.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:31

Reason being is they have values and ideologies that are in complete contrast to the otherwise. But to me this shows that Communism wanted to get rid of a group that it saw as a threat together, but doesn't mind asking for a groups help when needed. In otherwords, it's not after religion because it's spiritual, but because it was a group with it's own powerful leaders.

Hm. I think the analysis is fair, but I also think that some religious governments would do the same, if threatened. At the fall of Constantinople, "Can you hold a spear?" probably wasn't prefaced by "You're not one of those Latin heretics, are you?" (Although technically, as I recall, the Paleologai were Romanists themselves; you take my point, even so.) I think it has more to do with the human condition than with any particular ideology. Once again, there may be a difference of degree, but I doubt one of kind.

-Akolouthos
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:39
It's not that simple. When many atheists dismiss the religion (the supernatural, if you wish) they do not say only "I don't believe in God, hence the Bible texts are not true" they regard the Bible as invented by mortal beings (it is no one else out there to carry, even hypothetically, the responsability), that morality is not dictated by some deity, etc., it's a whole perspective which covers many things, it's not merely an abstract belief. Thus "I'm an atheist and the only thing which can be said about me is that  I do not believe in gods" is not true, though the definition of the term claims only that.
I'm not sure I follow. I don't believe in anything supernatural, whether that makes me more than an athiest or not I'm not entirely sure, but I always assumed that it went together. So it's safe to say that I believe the bible is nothing but stories written by many people.
I honestly haven't meant to generalize what I've said of militant atheism for the atheism. I only wanted to suggest militant atheism (as most militant ideologies, including militant religious ones) is a dangerous thing using the classical example of the communism.
I can see more and more where you and Akouthos are coming from, but it's still a hard pill to swallow for me. Like I mentioned earlier, I'd like to end the train of thought that athiest are bad and without a group that can be catagorized as it, it just gives athiest a bad name. Most people believe that the Communist are the evil athiest, not a group catagorized under atheism if anything.
I'll admit, you guys have shown me the errors in my thinking, but it's difficult to accept something like this when theirs already a label that stains your image for being who you are. If I were to tell someone I was athiest, I may not be trusted for it. It's more easy for people to accept the idea of athiest being militant because of the bad name we have. But I can see there's no way I'm going to win this up hill battle, because now I'm starting to see your arguement more clearly!Smile
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:43
In otherwords, it's not after religion because it's spiritual, but because it was a group with it's own powerful leaders.
I'm sure it's also for the former, as the first theorists of Communism rejected religion (in any form). When Marx called religion opium he addressed precisely its spiritual nature, not the organized religion as a center of power.
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:49

True, I forgot about that remark. But it's saying it's seductive, and we should ask what his motivation for this statement was. We know he wanted to create a equal society and a single society I believe. If you look at religion, it's very fractured as a whole, all different systems and all with it's own sects even within them. If we are to look at his idea, and then relgion in this light, you can argue that it's back to a political idea, one of unifying everyone under a single banner. I don't take what I say as true or fact, but I'm just questioning the meaning of the statement in regard with his other ideas.

Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 17:52

I can see more and more where you and Akouthos are coming from, but it's still a hard pill to swallow for me. Like I mentioned earlier, I'd like to end the train of thought that athiest are bad and without a group that can be catagorized as it, it just gives athiest a bad name. Most people believe that the Communist are the evil athiest, not a group catagorized under atheism if anything.

For me, atheism is an incidental quality of communism; that is to say that it is not necessary for the rest of the philosophy to hold together. In essence, it is simply a value that has generally been attached to the particular form of communism that dominated the twentieth century. Thus, as I see it, the communists persecuted Christians because they were viewed as anti-Communist, and used their theism as a further justification. Still, people were martyred for their faith, and their status as believers was a cause for scorn, which is the essence of the question for me, theist that I am -- though it is not surprising in light of Christ's warnings about this sort of thing. It may not be so for you; I think we are simply focusing on different parts of the same issue.

I'll admit, you guys have shown me the errors in my thinking, but it's difficult to accept something like this when theirs already a label that stains your image for being who you are. If I were to tell someone I was athiest, I may not be trusted for it. It's more easy for people to accept the idea of athiest being militant because of the bad name we have. But I can see there's no way I'm going to win this up hill battle, because now I'm starting to see your arguement more clearly!Smile

If it makes you feel any better, I am often wary of the reaction which I will receive for calling myself a Christian -- though I am proud of it, and would never eschew it. Keep in mind that I used to be a vehement agnostic, and my choice of friends still reflects this. If you are the odd man out over there, take solace in knowing that I am so over here. While you may feel that others think you duplicitous, or a bad influence because of your atheism, I am often viewed as nave or unintelligent because of my Christianity. Perhaps we should engage in some sort of friend exchange. LOL I jest, of course; I truly do love all of my friends dearly.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 17-Jan-2008 at 17:53
Caliph
Caliph

Quote SearchAndDestroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 18:02
If it makes you feel any better, I am often wary of the reaction which I will receive for calling myself a Christian -- though I am proud of it, and would never eschew it. Keep in mind that I used to be a vehement agnostic, and my choice of friends still reflects this. If you are the odd man out over there, take solace in knowing that I am so over here. While you may feel that others think you duplicitous, or a bad influence because of your atheism, I am often viewed as nave or unintelligent because of my Christianity. Perhaps we should engage in some sort of friend exchange. LOL I jest, of course; I truly do love all of my friends dearly.
Well it does help! But friends are the ones I can usually tell, meeting someone for the first time I won't usually say anything about belief systems, not anymore atleast. Though in New England, people aren't very religious at all, but if you do meet a person that is, I find that they are very devoted to the idea.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 18:17
Religious distress is at the same time the expression of real distress and the protest against real distress. Religion is the sigh of the oppressed creature, the heart of a heartless world, just as it is the spirit of a spiritless situation. It is the opium of the people. The abolition of religion as the illusory happiness of the people is required for their real happiness. The demand to give up the illusion about its condition is the demand to give up a condition which needs illusions.

This is the a larger excerpt which contains that famous saying. It's not about seduction, but about illusion, about finding happiness in an unhappy world. Basically if one follows Marx closely must conclude that in a truly happy society religion must disappear.

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jan-2008 at 18:18
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 18:29
Originally posted by Chilbudios

Reginmund, your second paragraph is actually one of my points. The Communists thought that they will convince people that is possible to live a life without gods and just living in a world of "science" and "equality" (the intentions of the 19th century philosophers were probably noble, but you know what they say about hell). They failed miserably. I wonder why anyone should accept other such experiments

The Communists never had a firm grasp of logic in the first place, nor a sufficient understanding of the nature of man. They were too brutal; atheism must not be forced or rushed, that will only generate resistance. The transition should be smooth and gradual, and come from within. All humans are born with a potential for rational thought, nurturing this potential will bring forth an internal need for enlightenment.

Originally posted by Akolouthos

If the "proper deductive method" (in which specific manner, I wonder?) is "the very basis for all knowledge", then what of conclusions derived from inductive reasoning? Once again the question arises, albeit in a different context: generals or particulars?

Epistemological theory is another topic. The problem at hand here is verifying religious ideas with empirical method, which is, as has been proven too many times already, a waste of time.
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 19:08
The Communists never had a firm grasp of logic in the first place
Hilarious. Some people thought the same about Jews, Muslims, ...

The transition should be smooth and gradual, and come from within. All humans are born with a potential for rational thought, nurturing this potential will bring forth an internal need for enlightenment.
There were such initiatives in the Communist block as well. The existence of Churches infilitrated from within represents a step from a smooth and gradual transition. Those communists insisting on a fast revolutionary change of the face of the world were opposed by other communists which with patience waited the world to see the potential of the communism (rational thought, enlightenment) and instead adopted long-term strategies. This type of discourse is so alike with the practice experienced already under Communism that I only can wonder how well I have chosen my example for why militant atheism is harmful.
Any "humanity will eventually see my ideas are right" bears a mark of fanatism and intolerance and sets the stage for totalitarian outbursts. If you don't assume your ideas might be wrong and other people will continue to believe what they want, then freedom as we know it cannot exist.

The problem at hand here is verifying religious ideas with empirical method, which is, as has been proven too many times already, a waste of time.
Because the method was flawed in so many cases. Science addresses specific questions, not knowledge, in general. But the limits of scientific knowledge were discussed over and over in so many threads.

Edited by Chilbudios - 17-Jan-2008 at 19:12
Reginmund View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Reginmund Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 21:59

Hilarious. Some people thought the same about Jews, Muslims, ...

Smartpeople.
Originally posted by Chilbudious

Any "humanity will eventually see my ideas are right" bears a mark of fanatism and intolerance and sets the stage for totalitarian outbursts.If you don't assume your ideas might be wrong and other people will continue to believe what they want, then freedom as we know it cannot exist.

There is no point in listening to a man who doesn't even believe in himself.

Because the method was flawed in so many cases. Science addresses specific questions, not knowledge, in general. But the limits of scientific knowledge were discussed over and over in so many threads.

Next we could argue how the human senses are flawed and not really a basis for establishing anything. Empirical method is at present the most applicable way of verifying or falsifying claims, andsowewillstickwithuntilepistemologyisrevolutionised,whichIdon'tbelievewillhappenanytimesoon.
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jan-2008 at 22:14
Originally posted by Reginmund

Originally posted by Akolouthos

If the "proper deductive method" (in which specific manner, I wonder?) is "the very basis for all knowledge", then what of conclusions derived from inductive reasoning? Once again the question arises, albeit in a different context: generals or particulars?
Epistemological theory is another topic. The problem at hand here is verifying religious ideas with empirical method, which is, as has been proven too many times already, a waste of time.

Says you. Wink I don't see that as a problem at all; there are many types of knowledge, Reginmund.

And epistemological theory is precisely what we need to be talking about, unless you simply expect me to trust you to determine which types of knowledge are important, and which types of knowledge aren't really knowledge at all. Should I also trust you to determine how to define "the proper deductive method"? You seem to want me to place a bit of -- pardon -- faith in your ability to arrive at the proper conclusion before we have even established the premises; I fail to see what is properly deductive about that. Wink

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 17-Jan-2008 at 22:14
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jan-2008 at 08:04
Chilbudios, don't you think we better pm eachoter in order to clarify our ideas about RSR? I think it might bother the others who participate in this discussion if we continue.
So, about my conclusion. There seem to be a general agreement that atheism cannot be seen as a doctrine. If agnosticism is also integrated in atheism then certainly we do have a lot of concepts about existance that basically share one common idea: non-faith.
You declared yourself being a non-faithful yourself and so am I though we probably disagree with eachother on terms of our non-faith. There are individuals that are actively engaged in actions to promote the atheist ideas. The "scientific atheism" promoted by in Romania is an example of what could be considered a form of militant atheism. But the point is that "scientific atheism" in itself is not a doctrine or an ideology all by itself. It's a component of the communist doctrine. It's like saying that Catholic Christianity is only going to church every Sunday.
As far as I see it the "militant atheists" are only acting based on the principle of freedom of thought, expression and choice.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 8>