Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Black Africans and alcohol

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Siemowit View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Siemowit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Black Africans and alcohol
    Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 22:44
Did Black Africans know alcohol ?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 00:18
Very likely. Almost all cultures have fermented drinks.
I heared sometime the SS African cultures prepared beers. That's very likely.
------------

Well, I seach the web and I found this. I bet you will be interested.

Pombe, Tembo, and Mw (traditional beer and wine)

People in every part of the world have their traditional alcohol. Throughout Sub-Saharan Africa home-made beer and wine are very common, especially in small villages and rural areas. (The distinction between beer and wine is this: beer is brewed, i.e., it must be heated before fermentation; wine is fermented without heatthough the terms are sometimes used as if they are interchangable.) Traditional African beers are made from various kinds of millet, sorghum, corn (i.e., maize), or plantains. Some of the names of these traditional beers are: Pombe (Eastern Africa); Dolo, Burukutu, Pito, Shukutu, and Tchakpalo (Western Africa); Bouza (Egypt, Ethiopia); and Merisa (Sudan).

havest%20of%20palm%20sap

Wine, that is, Palm-wine, called Tembo or Tombo is made from the sap of various palm trees (usually the African Oil Palm or Coconut Palm), or sugar-cane juice. Once the sap or juice is obtained, it begins to ferment on its own. It must be consumed within a day or two before it becomes too sour. A sort of wine is also made from plantains.

The Congo Cookbook has no recipes for these traditional beverages. They are documented by Richard F. Burton, Samuel White Baker, and Herbert Ward.

Samuel White Baker

The principal requirements of the natives were supplied by this most useful tree

In the early 1860's Samuel White Baker and his wife, Florence von Sass, explored the sources of the Nile in the regions that are today's Uganda and Ethiopia. His time in Uganda, in the area of Lake Albert (Albert Nyanza or Lake Mobutu Sese Seko) and Lake Victoria (Victoria Nyanza), is documented in his book The Albert N'Yanza: Great Basin of the Nile and Explorations of the Nile Sources (London: Sidgwick and Jackson, 1962; first published 1866). This excerpt is about plantains.

Edited by pinguin - 13-Dec-2007 at 00:36
Ardeshir View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Ardeshir Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 19:58
perhaps not alcohol the way we know it today but most likely some type of fermented cocktail that did the same job!
Thinking is the essence of wisdom
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 22:17
Good point. Africans knew ponches or beers, that were quite universal alcoholic drinks. Alcohol was destilled in its pure state by arabs. And destilled drinks are a relative recent invention as well.
Mayra View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Mayra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 17:29
Originally posted by Siemowit

Did Black Africans know alcohol ?

Most definitely. In Yoruba culture, specific to traditional beleivers who follow Ifa and Orisa, there are stories orally handed down about how Orisala, at times called Obatala etc.,  (in charge of forming the human bodies) , got drunk on palm wine and made a fine mess of various bodies, hence hunchbacks, albinos, deformed feet etc., and his followers are since then forbidden to drink palm wine or any alcoholic beverage. I have tried both palm wine and the much more interesting and sweet raffia palm wine called Ogoro. I had the pleasure of an intense week long affair with Ogoro, rising at 6 a.m. every morning to hurry over and receive one of the chilled refilled soda bottles of Ogoro fresh off the truck coming in to the city from the forest where it was tapped. It is extremely refreshing, sweet, and gives you a very mellow light feeling of peace. It must be drunk that day as it ferments quite rapidly. Palm wine is tapped from the head of the palm tree and raffia palm wine is often tapped from a horizontal trunk that has been pulled or trained to grow sideways. Long live Raffia palm wine....may my lips taste it soon...Tongue
"Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds."
" I have no particular talent. I am merely inquisitive". Albert Einstein
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 18:09
I read once that bananas and some kind of african honey can be used for the making of alchohol drinks.

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2008 at 18:27
don't ethiopians have a drink from honey simmilar to mead?
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
 Post Reply Post Reply