Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Stories from Stalin

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Stories from Stalin
    Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 19:48

Okay, my Contemporary History Professor insists that these stories are true, and I believe him, but I just want to make sure he isn't pulling my leg.

Good Manners:
Stalin was blundering through a speech in front of a couple hundred people in a auditorium (Stalin wasn't a good speaker), and had just reached an important part in the speech when someone sneezed loudly.

Stalin stopped his speech and asked who sneezed. No one answered, so Stalin turned to the KGB agent and told him to take out the first row and execute them.

This was done and Stalin turned to the crowd and asked again. No one answered, so he had the next row brought outside and shot.

Again, he asked. A trembling man near the back stood up, covered in sweat, and bumbled on about how it was him and he was sorry. Stalin looked at him sharply and said "Gesundheit", before going back to his speech.

Another---

Night Travel:
An advisor told Stalin that the Americans where going to the moon. Stalin, in response, replied that "We will go to the sun."
His advisors replied that the sun was to hot to 'go to.'
Stalin replied that since the sun was to hot, then 'we will go at night'.

Finally---

Always watching:
At the event of Stalin being pronounced dead, someone in the room cheered 'Alas, the evil dictator is dead!', at which Stalin suddenly opened his eyes.

Okay then, any truth?

Share your own stories about Stalin if you like. Very interesting character, he seems to be...Tongue
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 00:54
Ask him for sources
I am a free donkey!
Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 01:01
Yes I would be careful about stories on Stalin. He was hated by many, and many had good cause to make up extraordinary tales.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 13:56
Sounds like 'Grade A' Urban Legend material to me.  I can make up any story I want about Stalin and claim that it's true.  The onus isn't on those to refute the statement, the onus is on those claiming the statement is true to  back it up.  If someone makes a claim that Stalin said something, then either he was there in person to hear it (unlikely) or he has a source.  So what is the source for these claims?
DayI View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote DayI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 14:21
as far as I know "gesundheit" is not a russian word, it is German and I heard a similar "story" with hitler...
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 15:15
Yes, so have I. And IIRC all those who met Hitler, reported him to be very charming.
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 16:46

Thanks, I'll see if I can get a hold of some sources from him.

-William Wordsworth
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 17:54
Okay then, any truth?

No. Are you seriously asking this?

Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 19:40
Originally posted by Feanor

Are you seriously asking this?

Yes, I seriously am.

BTW everyone, I just proved the last story about the eye opening after death wrong, but the Wikipedia does have an article on him which mentions his death. His daughter Svetlana is quoted on how Stalin "cast a glance over everyone" and "lifted his hand" as if he was "bringing down a curse upon all of us." This all took place shortly before he died, not after death.Dead

Edited by ConradWeiser - 12-Dec-2007 at 19:42
-William Wordsworth
Garvm View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Garvm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 20:37
Originally posted by ConradWeiser

Okay, my Contemporary History Professor insists that these stories are true, and I believe him, but I just want to make sure he isn't pulling my leg.

Good Manners:
Stalin was blundering through a speech in front of a couple hundred people in a auditorium (Stalin wasn't a good speaker), and had just reached an important part in the speech when someone sneezed loudly.

Stalin stopped his speech and asked who sneezed. No one answered, so Stalin turned to the KGB agent and told him to take out the first row and execute them.

This was done and Stalin turned to the crowd and asked again. No one answered, so he had the next row brought outside and shot.

Again, he asked. A trembling man near the back stood up, covered in sweat, and bumbled on about how it was him and he was sorry. Stalin looked at him sharply and said "Gesundheit", before going back to his speech.

Another---

Night Travel:
An advisor told Stalin that the Americans where going to the moon. Stalin, in response, replied that "We will go to the sun."
His advisors replied that the sun was to hot to 'go to.'
Stalin replied that since the sun was to hot, then 'we will go at night'.

Finally---

Always watching:
At the event of Stalin being pronounced dead, someone in the room cheered 'Alas, the evil dictator is dead!', at which Stalin suddenly opened his eyes.

Okay then, any truth?

Share your own stories about Stalin if you like. Very interesting character, he seems to be...Tongue

About the two last stories i cant say if they are truth or not, but the first is an old joke that i know from a version using Hitler and Jews.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 20:41
Originally posted by DayI

as far as I know "gesundheit" is not a russian word, it is German and I heard a similar "story" with hitler...

i can definately confirm Gesundheit is German.
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 22:47
Originally posted by Conrad

Are you seriously asking this?

Yes, I seriously am.

BTW everyone, I just proved the last story about the eye opening after death wrong, but the Wikipedia does have an article on him which mentions his death. His daughter Svetlana is quoted on how Stalin "cast a glance over everyone" and "lifted his hand" as if he was "bringing down a curse upon all of us." This all took place shortly before he died, not after death.Dead

I have read this before in scholarly texts also. Though I have never read of the eyes opening after death. And seriously, what sort of idiot would cheer the death of Stalin when in a room next to his corpse and surrounded by his family and supporters?

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 23:41
Several years ago we had a Russian member on AE whose uncle owned a pair of Stalins trousers. When his uncle was a kid Stalin visited his village. He was so nervous that he wet his trousers, and when Stalin saw that he gave him a pair of his own.
Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 00:35
Originally posted by Constantine XI

I have read this before in scholarly texts also.

The first two are common jokes. Please.

Lmprs View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Lmprs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 00:37
Besides, I don't think USA had any plans about Moon when Stalin was still alive.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 00:47
Those are just anecdotes. The topic should be moved to AE tavern.
Σαυρομάτης
Samurai
Samurai

Quote ConradWeiser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 00:54

Besides, I don't think USA had any plans about Moon when Stalin was still alive.

I didn't think so either. Wasn't it JFK who made the moon a priority? And he didn't become president until 1961, and Stalin died in 1953. In fact, now that I look it up, NASA wasn't formed until 1958...Tongue 

There probably was a lot of 'what ifs' about space during Stalin's time though.
-William Wordsworth
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 05:09

Originally posted by Constantine XI

I have read this before in scholarly texts also.

The first two are common jokes. Please.

I know, but I never said they were true. In fact, I cautioned against believing them. The bit about Stalin raising his arm up at those surrounding him on his deathbed is something I have read in a bography of the man and does seem believable.
Young Tatar View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote Young Tatar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-May-2009 at 19:48
A Crimean Tatar story:
-Crimean Tatars were expelled to Siberia in 1944-
Stalin wanted us to leave our religion. I was 13 years old. I went to school, then my teacher asked me what my religion was. I said that I was Muslim. He became angry. He wanted me to close my eyes, and then wanted me to want an apple from God. I said "Allah, give me an apple." But there was no apple. After that, he said me that your God hadn't given you an apple, maybe Stalin would give. He wanted me to close my eyes again. I did. Then he wanted me to want an apple from Stalin. I said "Stalin, give me an apple!" I opened my eyes and there was an apple in my hand. My teacher asked me if I had seen Stalin was greater than Allah. I answered " No, Allah has more important things to give me an apple. There are poorer, more miserable people than me on the world. "
Since that day, I've never been able to go to school.

-A Crimean Tatar-
"Independence and Freedom are my character."
Mustafa Kemal Atatürk

-----------------------------
Crimean Tatar Independence Movement
nestorit View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote nestorit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2009 at 05:23
A Georgian delegation comes for a jobs visit to Stalin.They come, they talk to Stalin, and then they go, heading off down the Kremlin's corridors. Stalin starts looking for his pipe. He can't find it. He calls in Beria, the dreaded head of his secret police.
"Go after the delegation, and find out which one took my pipe," he says.
Beria scuttles off down the corridor.
Five minutes later Stalin finds his pipe under a pile of papers. He calls Beria:
"Look, I've found my pipe."
"It's too late," Beria says, "half the delegation admitted they took your pipe, and the other half died during questioning"

Edited by nestorit - 24-Aug-2009 at 11:58
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>