Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBear vs Gorilla

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bear vs Gorilla
    Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 20:37
discuss

Inspired by

shark vs croc
Tiger vs Lion

Wink

I have allways wondered who would win
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 21:04
Oh man, this is a hard one! No one really thinks of Gorilla's as dangerous, but they are tough!

I think the bear would rear up on its hind legs and roar at the gorilla, and the gorilla would roar back and beat its chest. They would get in a shoving match, and the think the gorilla might have the edge in that.

I think the gorilla would probably kill the bear, but later die of many deep scratches and bites...
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 21:17
Polar bear

VS

Eastern Lowland Gorilla(silverback)

super duper heavyweight wrestling match Tongue

tbh the gorilla would be the underdogg because the polar bear can way 2x as much as a gorilla and Polar bears are the smartes bears

Edited by xi_tujue - 10-Dec-2007 at 21:20
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 21:49
i like the gorilla in this one. sixth round, by a knockout. are they using gloves, or bare("bear")-knuckling?
Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 23:31
The bear would overcome the gorrila, a full size grizzly or polar bear would be a tough challenge to every animal.

EDIT: Glad to see you enjoyed my topic. Embarrassed

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 10-Dec-2007 at 23:32
What is the officer problem?
Leonidas View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 09:01
the gorilla has the edge, i think their stronger and they're smarter to. And being specific to which bear would make a difference, big differences between a sun bear vs Kodiak or a sloth bear vs a grizzly. it would have to be at least a polar or a brown type to have a chance.

Edited by Leonidas - 11-Dec-2007 at 09:01
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 11:07
Very true Leonidas. If it was a Kodiak or a Polar bear, it evens it out more.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 13:00
ya Kodiaks are huge and very powerful, and they have sharp claws, and can sprint at speeds of 30-40 mph
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
ConradWeiser View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Dec-2007 at 18:13
Polar Bears would murder Gorillas... They can get to a height of 10 feet when standing on their hind legs...the largest polar bear stood 12 feet at the shoulder...

Gorilla would definately win against Black Bears, Sloth Bears, etc. Specially Mountain or Silverbacks Gorillas.
Another year! Another deadly blow!
Another mighty empire overthrown!
And we are left, or shall be left, alone.
-William Wordsworth
Malik View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 00:58
Depends on the type of bear,really.I dont think a Gorilla can defeat  a grizzly or a polar bear.

Edited by Malik - 12-Dec-2007 at 00:58
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Dec-2007 at 05:23
A brown bear or Polar bear could easily defeat even an enraged silverback, but any smaller bear would be as good as dead. 
MitJD View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 17:34
Gorillas are just too powerful. I think bears are strong, but the gorilla is big and will need to use their powerful muscles to win this one.
kalhur View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 20:37
 i absolutly supprt the gorilla. maybe you believe i am biased, because i look like a gorillaLOL
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Apr-2010 at 20:40
Originally posted by MitJD

Gorillas are just too powerful. I think bears are strong, but the gorilla is big and will need to use their powerful muscles to win this one.

Don't underestimate not only a bear's intelligence but how powerful they are. I have seen the claws on a 900 pound Montana grizzly and it is scary and they have really sharp teeth. I have spent a lot of time in the wilds of North America and both animals can do damage. Bears are next to primates in intelligence so don't underestimate them.

I read that in California, in the 1800's, they wanted to pit a 1300 pound California grizzley against a 700 pound African lion but the humane Society got wind of it. It never happened but I did not realize the Humane Society was so old.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Kanas_Krumesis View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2010 at 09:36
I don`t think that Gorilla have any chance against Brown or Polar Bear. There are many cases when male Brown Bears from Siberia killed Siberian Tigers. Gorilla isn`t even a predator.
opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Apr-2010 at 15:06
An interesting scenerio to be sure! I think that if the gorilla is as smart as we believe it to be, that it is his intelligence that would work to his advantage!

For him to win, if there were trees available for climbing, he might well be able to get some advantage over a bear and even a tree climbing bear, because of his enormous strength in his hands and arms!

While I have no evidence to show, it seems a gorilla would be a lot like a human and able to swing his fists as punches or even very great slaps! If the gorilla was able to convince himself that this was a fight to the death, and his opponent was wiley and even larger than himself, then the gorilla might well try to obtain an advantage by getting onto the back of the bear?

In this position, he might well be able to exert some great leverage upon the bear, via the great strength of his hands and arms! Of course his great teeth would also be able to do great harm to the bears head and neck, during this battle, and I just do not know the physical advantage the longer arms of the gorilla might have in over coming the great neck strenght of the bear?

So, to make it short; If the gorilla was able to obtain a grasp upon the bear from the back of the bear, then I would predict the gorilla would eventually be able to either strangle the bear to death, of pull apart his jaws, or bite thru the bears skull or neck, and thus cause the bear to die!

But, what do I know?

Regards,

Ron
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
MitJD View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Apr-2010 at 13:43
Originally posted by Kanas_Krumesis

I don`t think that Gorilla have any chance against Brown or Polar Bear. There are many cases when male Brown Bears from Siberia killed Siberian Tigers. Gorilla isn`t even a predator.
Evern though I said the Gorilla would win, I have to give it to you that what you're saying is true. A Brown or Polar Bear could easily defeat a gorilla, but I also think that a gorilla could easily defeat a Brown or Polar Bear. The scenario would really matter. 
Bean Gas View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Jun-2010 at 16:21
Gorilla ofcourse due to it's superior intelligence Wink
Night Crawler View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 02:03
The Bear  (Griz. Kod, or Pol but not the black bear) becuase of the Claws!!!!!!!  http://skolaiimages.com/journal/2010/03/04/bear-claws-black-polar-and-grizzly-bear-claws/

Comparison of Grizzly bear, black bear and polar bear claws

Comparison of Bear claws - black bear (Ursus americanus) claws, polar bear (Ursus maritimus), grizzly bear (Ursus arctos) and Kodiak bear claws. Please click on the image for a larger version of this photo.

Hey Folks,

I thought I’d post this shot, as it might be of interest to some folks. From left to right, the claws are: black bear, polar bear, grizzly bear, coastal brown bear or Kodiak bear.The polar bear is the only true carnivore out of those species, but it’s claws are but a fraction of the size of those belonging to the great grizzly, and in particular, the coastal brown bear.

Bear claws, and particularly the grizzly claws, were long revered as a symbol of power, both physical and spiritual, to many Native American Indian cultures; wearing the bear claw was often only an earned respect. Anyone’s who’s seen such fearsome weaponry up close can attest as to why.

Edited by Night Crawler - 07-Jun-2010 at 02:04
DreamWeaver View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Jun-2010 at 04:56
Im gonna say Bear, though it does really depend on the kind of bear.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>