Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedThe Animal Versus Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Animal Versus Thread!
    Posted: 27-Jan-2009 at 01:27
The water buffalo would win because it is larger, WOW those hornes are huge! 

Fattail Scorpion

vs. Camel Spider

i really can't choose! but i like camel spider more

"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 03:16
I'd say a large camel spider would be able to finish off the fat tail by disabling the sting. Those pincers would still prove to be a menace though - perfect for snipping off the legs of a spider. If both are evenly matched in size, then the scorpion (which has 2 pincers and a sting) would prevail over the spider (with only its fangs as an offense). 
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
Over-Lord of the Marching Men

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Feb-2009 at 16:49
Originally posted by Knights

I'd say a large camel spider would be able to finish off the fat tail by disabling the sting. Those pincers would still prove to be a menace though - perfect for snipping off the legs of a spider. If both are evenly matched in size, then the scorpion (which has 2 pincers and a sting) would prevail over the spider (with only its fangs as an offense). 

Don't forget that the scorpion has venom, and the camel spider doesn't. Paralyzing chemicals are a big advantage. :D

How about green anaconda vs. moroteuthis robustus, for a truly bizarre match-up?
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Feb-2009 at 09:20
Yes that is certainly a sever disadvantage for the spider. But they can run so fast!

I heard today, that if you pour a circle of flammable liquid around a scorpion then set it alight, the scorpion will voluntarily arc its sting over and commit suicide by injecting itself with venom. I wonder what the reliability of this claim is? Firstly, would it really know that it is doomed, and just, commit suicide? And also, are they not immune to their own venom? Ideas? I think it could have some merit, but I'll investigate to see if it stacks up to the facts.

@ Arrgh - when the heck would they ever meet!?! Haha for the sake of the thread...Anaconda all the way. Those clubhooks would be no match for the constrictor. Big smile

- Knights -

Jams View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2009 at 12:26
It really sounds like an urban legend. Some Sorpions have weak poison, so I can't see how it can be true. And as you say, I also doubt that the scorpion would have any idea about what's going on.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2009 at 16:58
Originally posted by Jams

It really sounds like an urban legend. Some Sorpions have weak poison, so I can't see how it can be true. And as you say, I also doubt that the scorpion would have any idea about what's going on.

Some, not all. And it doesn't necessarily take that much brainpower to know that one is about to die.

Still, you're right--it's hard to believe.
Who is the great dragon whom the spirit will no longer call lord and god? "Thou shalt" is the name of the great dragon. But the spirit of the lion says, "I will." - Nietzsche

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-Apr-2009 at 23:40
I agree. After a bit of searching also, it seems that scorpions don't intentionally commit suicide in this situation. Rather, being (ironically) incredibly susceptible to direct heat, they go completely mental and flail about their tails. In doing this there is a chance of striking itself, but even then, a far greater dose of its own poison is required to kill a scorpion, thanks to a degree of immunity.

Anyway, another ridiculous hypothetical animal face-off, people?

Male Red Kangaroo vs. Human

Note: Human is a regular male, unarmed.
TheARRGH View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2009 at 00:14
That depends a great deal on who the human is.

A red kangaroo is NOT a cuddly widdle fuzzy aminal. If it kicks you squarely, you are probably going to be on the ground sucking wind. It will punch, and while a male red kangaroo is shorter than the average human, they're quite strong--and they can weight up to 185 pounds, plenty of which is muscle. There's no guarantee an adult human male will even be in the same weight category as the kangaroo. MMA trainers would not approve...Tongue

So, it depends on the human. We're a remarkably varied species, and since we have such vastly different lifestyles and skill sets, "adult male" doesn't really say much.

With combat training, motivation, and significantly above-average physical ability, an adult human male could probably overpower a red Kangaroo...especially since, when fighting EACH OTHER at least, male Red Kangaroos tend to hold off on kicking each other until the fight really escalates...humans are generally under no such behavioral restriction. However, obviously, that's largely when fighting each other. No telling how a kangaroo would react when facing off against some weirdly tall, oddly unfurred creature with opposable thumbs and no tail worth speaking of.

Carcharodon View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 13:34

Regarding the Lion vs. Tiger issue - here's a site I came across. It's a very interesting read, and he makes a sound conclusion in the end in my opinion.

http://indrajit.wordpress.com/category/lion-vs-tiger/

Sometimes a meeting between a lion and a tiger can end like this:

A Chinese zoologist has captured a picture of a tiger mating with a lioness. Zhao Yunhua took the rare photograph in Shenzhen Safari Park /Lu Feng

Make love not war Smile 

Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 13:38

A Siberian Tiger would have no problem against a Leopard. And a Gorilla would certainly beat an Orang - possibly even a female Gorilla. However one blow from a male Orang could be lethal because they are so incredibly strong. I have been in the situation where 8 people were needed to make a fair tug of war game against Jantan, a male Orang at the zoo. 

Not long ago an animal ceeper was seriously injured by a male orangutang in a zoo here in Sweden. Among other things the animal nearly ripped of the ceepers foot.
Baron
Baron

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-May-2009 at 13:58
Originally posted by TheARRGH

Another interesting one might be Polar bear vs. Saltwater crocodile. Either one can kill a human without thinking twice, both are extremely big and well-armored...

If the fight were to take place in the waters polar bears usually swim in, the crocodile would soon be immobilized because the low temerature of  the water.
KenyaFlyer View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2009 at 22:52
It's true.  I've seen it done several times.
We caught small scorpions (4cm body).  Then we made a ring of twigs about 30 cm in diameter.  After pouring a small amount of kerosene on the twigs and lighting the ring on fire, we dumped the scorpion into the middle.  The scorpion made a couple of tries to get out of the ring, then stung itself in the head and died.  It happened very fast.
We recorded it on a phone camera and could see the scorpion sting itself twice.  It rolled over immediately and was dead. 
The fire was not big enough to kill the scorpion if it had stayed put in the middle.
BoomBaby View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Jan-2010 at 10:16
The bigger the scorpion the less venom. And the camel spide is much much faster and stronger.
For the Lord of Ginger Ale Bi*ches
ranjithvnambiar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Oct-2010 at 03:56
Male gaurs are known to grow 2.2metres tall at shoulders and weigh over 1500Kg

opuslola View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
suspended

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2010 at 23:20
My first wife could emasculate any of the above beasties in a matter of seconds!

Meow!
http://www.quotationspage.com/subjects/history/
Guests View Drop Down
Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2011 at 18:33
Anaconda

vs

Regular Snake

Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2011 at 19:06
Originally posted by AbsoluteZero

Anaconda

vs

Regular Snake

Would that "regular snake" be a venomous one? If not, there is no contest. Welcome to the forum by the way!
"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Centrix Vigilis View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2011 at 19:42
Well for me..I just generally eat snakes and don't worry to much about which is toughter then another.

But as Arab...I wish you welcome here as well.
"Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence"

S. T. Friedman

Pilger's law: 'If it's been officially denied, then it's probably true'

Arab View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Apr-2011 at 20:32
Shocked I could never eat a reptile, even though desert lizards are a delicacy among some in the region. I guess it's their hypnotizing, beady eyes that get me.

"Prayer is when you talk to God. Insanity is when you talk to God and he answers back."
Galleon View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Apr-2011 at 18:06
Originally posted by Arab

Shocked I could never eat a reptile, even though desert lizards are a delicacy among some in the region. I guess it's their hypnotizing, beady eyes that get me.

Uhhh...Yikes! That's looks delicious to me.EmbarrassedLOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>