Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Hang ups between Blacks and Africans

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Rakasnumberone View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hang ups between Blacks and Africans
    Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 21:12
Originally posted by Zagros

America though is one of the few countries the name of which does not denote any one ethnic group.  England for example is the land of the English; someone calling himself Pakistani-English would give me the impression that he's multi-ethnic.

This is indeed the case in many parts of the world. There were Anglo Indians at the time of the Raj, Famous Franco Egyptian singer Dalida and many other examples. I think its more pronounced where the person is of two "races" or nationalities of vastly different cultures.

I think all these hyphenated terms are indicative of which group is considered the ones to hold cultural/historical power in the country. For example we don't speak of the Anglo American community, they are just American, but we do have Irish Americans, German Americans, Italian Americans etc.

I think in the case of Afro Americans, they didn't come from any one location in particular, but all over Central, Southjern and West Africa. The people who brought them here did not care for their true ethnic or national origins but lumped them all together. This is part of the reason why so many people speak of Africa as if it were a country, rather than a continent made up of many countries.
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 21:18
Originally posted by Reginmund

Originally posted by joeamonroe

<font face="Times New Roman" size="3">As an African (Black) American we are often asked the question, how would you like to be defined? Do you want to be classified as Black or African American? <span style=""> </span>Many times I’m told that: why should we be called African American they think their better then us, they turn their noses up at us, they don’t respect us. <span style=""> </span>For me I want to be called African at all times but how do I get my people in American to know that we Africans from around the world have been hood winked. So with this forum my intent is to ask as many Africans and Blacks what are the hang ups and why do we have them.
I've always had problems with the term African American, for two reasons. First it doesn't necessarily indicate a Black man; it also includes the Arabs and Berbers of North Africa. And second, these so-called African Americans have been settled in America for as long or even longer than many White Americans, yet you never hear about "European Americans" - why is it necessary to indicate continent of origin for one group but not another?Also, I've never understood the disdain with which some people (both White and Black) regard the term Negro, as it means exactly the same as Black, just in Spanish. Why is this word more derogative in Spanish than in English?

Because of the context within which it was used. It was used as a pejorative, the same way Jew often was in the past.
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 21:54

Part 2 of what they continue to do

<DIV =Section1>
<P =Msonormal style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face=Arial size=4><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: bold; FONT-SIZE: 14.5pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">White May Be Might, But It's Not Always Right<?:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-STYLE: italic; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">By Khalil G. Muhammad<o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Sunday, December 9, 2007; Page B03 </SPAN><FONT face=Arial size=1><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 8pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Recently I showed my college students a <FONT title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/YouTube+Inc.?tid=inline color=#0c4790><SPAN title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/YouTube+Inc.?tid=inline style="COLOR: #0c4790">YouTube</SPAN> clip of <FONT title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Bill+Cosby?tid=inline color=#0c4790><SPAN title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Bill+Cosby?tid=inline style="COLOR: #0c4790">Bill Cosby</SPAN>'s and Alvin Poussaint's appearance on "The <FONT title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Oprah+Winfrey?tid=inline color=#0c4790><SPAN title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Oprah+Winfrey?tid=inline style="COLOR: #0c4790">Oprah Winfrey</SPAN> Show." After hearing Cosby plead for poor blacks to embrace their parenting responsibilities, many of the students said they wished their parents had followed his advice. They regretted that some of their peers had done poorly in school, abused drugs and alcohol, and run afoul of the law. These problems, they agreed, might have been avoided with more supervision at home. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">They might have been the perfect audience for a Cosby town-hall lecture on the dangers of self-destructive values in black <?:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" /><st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">America</st1:country-region></st1:place>. They might also have been perfect illustrations of the growing "values gap" between poor and middle-class blacks described in a widely cited recent <FONT title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Pew+Research+Center?tid=inline color=#0c4790><SPAN title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/Pew+Research+Center?tid=inline style="COLOR: #0c4790">Pew Research Center</SPAN> poll. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Except almost all my students are white. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">Cosby and the recent Pew study are the latest in a long finger-wagging tradition of instructing poor blacks to lift themselves up by their bootstraps and reject pathologically "black" values. Today, rap culture is usually presented as Exhibit A, but strains of the same argument have cropped up for more than a century. If blacks would just get their act together, this old story goes, all the social inequalities between them and the rest of society would disappear. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">In its coverage of the Pew report <FONT title=http://pewsocialtrends.org/pubs/700/black-public-opinion color=#0c4790><SPAN title=http://pewsocialtrends.org/pubs/700/black-public-opinion style="COLOR: #0c4790">findings</SPAN>, <FONT title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/National+Public++Inc.?tid=inline color=#0c4790><SPAN title=http://www.washingtonpost.com/ac2/related/topic/National+Public++Inc.?tid=inline style="COLOR: #0c4790">National Public Radio</SPAN> asked whether some blacks were lagging behind because they were choosing not to become "closer to whites in their values." Unfortunately, this line of questioning reinforces one of the most persistent myths in <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:country-region w:st="on">America</st1:country-region></st1:place>, that white is always right. The myth reflects an enduring double standard based on "white" and "black" explanations for social problems. And it assumes that "white" culture is the gold standard for judging everyone, despite its competing ideologies, its contradictions and its flaws, including racism. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P style="BACKGROUND: white"><FONT face="Times New Roman" size=3><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 12pt">The masquerade began over a hundred years ago. Shortly after the end of slavery, sociologists and demographers began presenting research on black failure and struggle as "indisputable" proof of black inferiority. One of the first studies was released in 1896, when the leading race-relations demographer of the period, Frederick L. Hoffman, analyzed census data showing that blacks were doing worse than whites in mortality, health, employment, education and crime. The problem was not racism, he argued, but "race traits and tendencies." <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">To him, the civil rights acts of the 1860s and 1870s had leveled the playing field. Blacks should be left to compete against whites on their own and face the inevitable. The black man, he wrote, "has usually but one avenue out of his dilemma -- the road to prison or to an early grave." <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">At the same time, when explaining rising rates of crime, suicide and mental-health problems among whites, Hoffman blamed industrialization and the strains of "modern life." He called for a reordering of the nation's economic priorities. Hoffman's study coincided with -- and provided justification for -- the Supreme Court's notorious <SPAN style="FONT-STYLE: italic">Plessy v. Ferguson</SPAN> decision, which legalized segregation. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">As segregation took hold, there was a powerful need to minimize the role of racism as a factor in explaining racial disparities. The "Cosby" role at the start of Jim Crow was first played by <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Booker T. Washington. Counseling blacks to conquer their inferiority, he repudiated civil rights activism in favor of self-help and moral regeneration. <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Many whites loved <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:State w:st="on">Washington</st1:State></st1:place>, and his ideas were echoed by liberal social scientists such as the psychologist G. Stanley Hall, who instructed black people to stop sympathizing "with their own criminals" and "accept without whining patheticism and corroding self-pity [their] present situation, prejudice and all." <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">But when Hall turned his focus on whites, his research on adolescent psychology directly influenced national efforts to protect them from the ravages of industrial capitalism. Drawing on his work, the child-welfare activist Jane Addams established Hull House in <FONT face=Arial color=#0000ff size=2>Chicago at first to help immigrant families adjust to American life, and later to save thousands of <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Chicago</st1:City></st1:place>'s white youth from lives of crime, violence and drug abuse attributed to "modern city conditions." But black children were not generally welcome at Hull House. Addams claimed that similar problems among black youth were due to the race's "belated" moral development, manifested in poor parenting and a lack of "social restraint." <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The pioneering black social scientist W.E.B. Du Bois challenged this first generation of white liberals and social scientists, including Hoffman, on the flawed assumptions and racial double standards in their studies and in their practices. But when Du Bois tried to argue that pathology knows no color, he was ignored, criticized and dismissed by his white peers as an angry black man with, as one sociologist put it, a "chip on his shoulder." <o:p></o:p></SPAN>

<P =Msonormal><FONT face=Arial size=2><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 10pt; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p> </o:p></SPAN>

I found this hard to read for several reasons. Firstly, the dysfunctional elements holding a lot of lower class blacks are not elements of "BLACK" culture, they are DYSFUNCTIONAL ELEMENTS. Even though such things as gangster rap are given as evidence, gangster rap is only a reflection of the horrible things that come with living in a certain environment, not about being black. Therefore, the tbehaviors holding THOSE blacks back are the exact same behaviors that hold "trailer park" low calss whites back plain and simple. RAcism is a whole other ball of wax.

The supposition that getting an education, being responsible, speaking the langause properly and being moral are elements of "WHITE " culture. This is rediculous. These things are at the core of every civilization around the world. This dichotomy of White = functional, Black = dysfunctional is in itself racist and evidence of the brain washing we still have to deal with.

Having said all this though, what does this have to do with the original question? Itys a good issue, but seems off topic in this context.
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 05:07

Because of the context within which it was used. It was used as a pejorative, the same way Jew often was in the past.

Aha! But in the past using the term "Black" was more offensive than "Negro". In fact Black only began to become socially acceptable when during the Civil Rights movements the militant wing of that movement took on the "shocking" term to turn the word Black from one of racial insult to that of racial empowerment. Much in the same way that rappers use the word "nigga" to refer to themselves. I'd imagine that in the future far from negro being appropriate perhaps nigga will lose any pejorative context, but then again I don't know much about speculative language evolution.

I found this hard to read for several reasons.

I found that quote hard to read for one specific reason.....sorry joke .

Firstly, the dysfunctional elements holding a lot of lower class blacks are not elements of "BLACK" culture, they are DYSFUNCTIONAL ELEMENTS.

Exactly, it is more of an issue of poverty over race.

However I will say that many black leaders abuse the situation of black poverty to their advantage. I feel that many use the old Roman adage of "bread and circuses" to gain popularity at the expense of the social mobility of their brethren. For instance back when there was a big talk about "repairations" for slavery, black leaders jumped on this issue with abandon instead of addressing the social issues that plague many in the black community, most of which stem from poorly planned social programs and absentee fathers and the social trauma it inflicts upon a community which leads to drug abuse, criminal gangs, irresponsible promiscuity, and general apathy.

Now I'm not saying all blacks are fatherless thugs obviously, but statistically a disproportionate amount of blacks in the US are affected by one of the issues, I blame it on American society's haphazard and short-sighted social programs that only look to treat the problems in America and not solve any of them. Unfortunately there are too many Malcolm X's and not enough Martin Luther King's.

For example we don't speak of the Anglo American community, they are just American, but we do have Irish Americans, German Americans, Italian Americans etc.

Well many English-Americans don't refer to themselves as generally American, rather they would say they were English if asked. Very rarely do "whites" use a hyphenation when stating their ethnicity. This is mostly because unlike in the black community they can trace their families back to the "old country". Unfortunately due to the legacy of slavery many blacks cannot do this. I mean in Africa a Wolof and an Ibo are as different as night and day, but if a Wolof descended black and an Ibo descended black met each other at their school, they wouldn't see that they would just see "black" which is what the race obsessed early Americans would have wanted them to see.

Creating an "artificial" identity though doesn't necessarily diminish one's ancestors nor does it make your "ethnicity" any less deserving than anyone elses. Take for instance the Indian Confederations of the Cherokee, the Iroquois and the Shawnee. All of these "tribes" are merely a mishmash of survivors of various ethnicities who banded together due to decimation of disease. We don't know the history of all the groups of the Shawnee for instance because by the time Europeans finally reached them they're histories had been lost and they created a new people. This is the same way for blacks in America, however I feel that it isn't proper for them to speak of themselves as if they were true Africans. Because they are quite simply not, their history is separate from the sordid colonialism the Africans suffered, and their history is separate from the struggles of those who remained in Africa, just as the American blacks had struggles separate from the African blacks.

Again I will quote Paul:
Someone who calls themselves African-American is showing themselves to be very American and not very African
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
joeamonroe View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote joeamonroe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 13:38
the article was used to display the nonsense sent around the world that many people use to form their opinions about blacks in USA as well as africans
Joe
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 12:01

the article was used to display the nonsense sent around the world that many people use to form their opinions about blacks in USA as well as africans

Joemonroe,

I agree with this statement. But remember, you did post the article. So technically you are helping to perpetuate these notions.

As to your original post, African or Black American. I don’t think you will ever get a consensus. Like all Americans, the black community has different feelings about there heritage and many do take offense to a prefix that may define them.

For example, if I were to use the term Italian-American, an image of a Soprano type character might pop into your head.

Probably if I would say Arab-American or Jewish-American, you might not think of Paula Abdul a practicing Jew with Arabic descent.

Many people are proud to put a pre-fix to help define them. My boss loves to be called Greek, even though he is from Cyprus, his son on the other hand doesn’t share that heritage enthusiasm and prefers to be just an American.

So, just my opinion, I think it is wrong to try and lump people into a pre-defined group. Especially when there is no clear definition on what exactly does this definition mean or infer.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 14:27
I am not a genious at all, but in the academic world I have seen genious a couple of times.
After that, I got convinced the difference between the average people and them is rooted in genetics.

I.Q. tests simply measure intelligence. Of course there will be distorsions according to education, environment, etc., but we shouldn't discount there is also a genetical component involved. Pick people of the same aspect, country, income level and experiences and measure the intelligence. You will find they are not the same at all. That some are genetically more intelligent than the rest.

Now, for people that believe I.Q. test are worthless I believe they are wrong. They measure intelligence, which is the result of enviromental and genetic influences in people. But they measure something very real.

Now, I.Q. is not fixed in stone. Can improve with education and training. But I.Q. is not flexible as much as we would like it to be, either. Not all people got the genes to be a Mozart, an Eistein or a Gauss.

Edited by pinguin - 20-Jan-2008 at 14:31
Tyranos View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Tyranos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Jan-2008 at 16:49
Black American is more often used here the USA, and I doubt Caribbean Minorities or Middle Eastern ones in Europe are considered ethnic British or whatever the case is.  People have a sense of both National and Ethnic identity, its perfectly human.

While "African-American" is mainly used by a lot've Blacks for political reasons, however not all Blacks  like using the label "African",  like for instance Jamaicans, they highly dislike being labeled as "African-Americans".

The term "African" isnt used to encompass any of the indigenous Whites of Africa, like Berbers, Egyptians ect.  The term "African" today is a PC term for Negroids, especially when in the discussion of Race and such.
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 03:20
Originally posted by Tyranos

Black American is more often used here the USA, and I doubt Caribbean Minorities or Middle Eastern ones in Europe are considered ethnic British or whatever the case is. 

Such designations not only apply to Afro Americans. Perhaps it is an American habit. There are Italian Americans, Polish Americans, Irish Americans etc, which is why the term Afro-American was adopted. It was said that the adjective "Black" was not reflective of a country of origin as are the other hyphenated terms. Therefore, people of African descent argued that they too should be identified by an adjective which reflected their land of origin and that is why Afro American became the prefered term.

As for Countries in Europe, I don't think they use hyphenated terms. I don't think it's neccessary there. This does not mean however that ethnic minorities are fully intergrated into those societies. South Asians in England are still refered to as Indians or Pakistanis or pejoritively as "Pakis". In France Algerians and Moroccans are singled out as "North African". Rather than using hyphenated terms, they are identified based on their countries of origin.

People have a sense of both National and Ethnic identity, its perfectly human. While "African-American" is mainly used by a lot've Blacks for political reasons, however not all Blacks  like using the label "African",  like for instance Jamaicans, they highly dislike being labeled as "African-Americans".

Well as a Jamaican, perhaps I can shed some light on this. It all depends on the context. We identify ourselves by nationality first, then by class, not by "race". Those of us of African origin are well aware of our origins, but JAMAICA, not Africa, is our home and it is that land we feel most attached to. Our national motto is "Out of many one people". We are very proud of the various origins of our people, but we are all Jamaican first, therefore, we do not need to identify ourselves as Afro Jamaican.

Outside of Jamaica, we still hold our national identity. We reject the term Afro American, not because we are ashamed of our African heritage, but because we fear to do so would be to lose that which we hold most dear, our national and cultural identity. We are well aware of the fact that to the white majority all black faces are interchangable and we resent this disregard for our individuality. They expect us to forget who we are and become what they think we should be and that is something we will never do.

The term "African" isnt used to encompass any of the indigenous Whites of Africa, like Berbers, Egyptians ect.  The term "African" today is a PC term for Negroids, especially when in the discussion of Race and such.

Well there in lies the rub. Who makes the rules? Who decides what is what and who is who? For example, who says that North Africans are "Whites', when in fact they are not. At least not in the sense that the term White is used in America or Europe. Let's put it this way, the average Egyptian or Moroccan traveling in the United States in the 1950's, would have been made to ride in the back of the bus, drink from the "COLORED ONLY" fountains and refused admittance to "white" establishments and society. Who was it that decided that North Africans were not Africans? And decided that people considered "Colored" on their shores were to magically transformed into Whites on African shores? As for "Negroids", what in god's name pray tell is that?
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 05:21
This thread has brought back rememberences of a show that i saw back in the very early ninties. I don't remember the title, but it seems like it was more like an extremely powerful social drama?

Anyways... The main gist of it was, that the older black lady was just as American as the younger white lady, whose bloodline was just as mixed as her's, as well as giving her a history lesson that isn't usally taught in any American schools, as to why there are much more similarities between her and herself, then there are the obvious differences! I wish i could remember the darn dialogue, as it was probably the most powerful scene in the entire movie? A real eye opener! Oh well... such is my memory.

Anyways, this issue is an old one, as old as this country itself and undeniably human! I seem too recall reading the words of Teddy Roosevelt himself, as having some few choice words on this issue, by expressing his extreme distaste for the politics of division and hyphenation in this country, regardless of one's ethnicities or skin color? Then again, i may be getting the speaker's mixed up here, or i might be remembering the speeches wrong?

Now with all of that said... I don't really feel the need too always point out to others here, all the ethnic mixtures that flows within my blood. Suffice it too say, i don't feel like an English, Irish, German, Dutch and  French-American. Or in essence... A European American! Nor, do i simply feel like an Native American (Comanche). Neither do i look at any of my nieces as being either from Latino or African stock! I look at them as Americans like myself, plain and simple!

As far as this issue is concerned within this country! No politican, no journalist, no race-mongering public speaker, no scientists out to make a name for themseleves or whomever "tries" to prove a scientific point or whoever it is... is going to deny my fellow Americans of any ethnicity, their pride and human dignity, that they are something other then being wholly an American! Because...as far as i am concerned, there is way too much in common between oursleves then most really care too admit! Otherwise, for those who like the constant division, it's just politics as usual!

The only real difference i think, is how individual(s) choose(s) too let themseleves or if in groups, by alowing others too define them as different from the rest of the country? As long as that keeps going on or is allowed to, then nothing is really going to change much tomorrow or even a thousands years from now? The dignity and pride of any individual, will still be lost in some form or another of tribal politics!

Let us hope those times will end sooner than we think, and not just within this country either!

(Note: I hope this rantful post made an ounce of sense?)

Edited by Panther - 21-Jan-2008 at 05:26
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Jan-2008 at 17:54
Originally posted by Rakasnumberone

Well there in lies the rub. Who makes the rules? Who decides what is what and who is who? For example, who says that North Africans are "Whites', when in fact they are not. At least not in the sense that the term White is used in America or Europe. Let's put it this way, the average Egyptian or Moroccan traveling in the United States in the 1950's, would have been made to ride in the back of the bus, drink from the "COLORED ONLY" fountains and refused admittance to "white" establishments and society. Who was it that decided that North Africans were not Africans? And decided that people considered "Colored" on their shores were to magically transformed into Whites on African shores? As for "Negroids", what in god's name pray tell is that?

North Americans of the 1950s were a bunch of ignorants. I hope education has improved.
For instance, an Egyptian is nothing else but an Egyptian. He is not a Black American or a White American, actually, but an individual that comes from a different culture. Americans should know that, shouldn't they.

Now, the fact that Japaneses looks pretty much the same that Amazonian Indians, to the point Japaneses has played the role of Indians in Brazilian TV, doesn't make them to be the same people LOL

Americans should stop spreading its ignorancy worldwide, particularly marked in theirs racial biass and conceptions, which are a dogma there for both whites and blacks.

HEROI View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote HEROI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Feb-2008 at 14:16

Ignorance is based on lack of information,and Africa has a higher degree of ignorance among it population then Europe,not because African are black but because Europians have very easy acsess to information.

My opinion is that African-American is not the Ideal name for this community,but their history in America is not like the history of the other communities,therefore we can not say why are black people called like that but white europian people not.Because there is a difference as to the origines of this communities and their history in America.
I think as long as there is a complete reconsiliation between the communities the term African-American is well fited.
It even helps Africans realise that their fate has been shared during the course of history for being black Africans,not for being from one nationality or the other.

Me pune,me perpjekje.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 00:35
Originally posted by pinguin

I am not a genious at all, but in the academic world I have seen genious a couple of times.
After that, I got convinced the difference between the average people and them is rooted in genetics.

I.Q. tests simply measure intelligence. Of course there will be distorsions according to education, environment, etc., but we shouldn't discount there is also a genetical component involved. Pick people of the same aspect, country, income level and experiences and measure the intelligence. You will find they are not the same at all. That some are genetically more intelligent than the rest.

Now, for people that believe I.Q. test are worthless I believe they are wrong. They measure intelligence, which is the result of enviromental and genetic influences in people. But they measure something very real.

Now, I.Q. is not fixed in stone. Can improve with education and training. But I.Q. is not flexible as much as we would like it to be, either. Not all people got the genes to be a Mozart, an Eistein or a Gauss.

I think you are confusing IQ with being a savant. IQ testing doesn't demonstrate intelligence, what it demonstrates is the ability to choose the right answer. The questions are normally culturally biased and if it is effected by how much education a person has then it doesn't measure intelligence but rather how well a person retains learned information. I.Q. tests also only measure one type of intelligence out of many.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 00:50
Originally posted by King John

I think you are confusing IQ with being a savant. IQ testing doesn't demonstrate intelligence, what it demonstrates is the ability to choose the right answer. The questions are normally culturally biased and if it is effected by how much education a person has then it doesn't measure intelligence but rather how well a person retains learned information. I.Q. tests also only measure one type of intelligence out of many.

I.Q. do measure the problem solving skills in individuals.

Of course if you ask people that solve a test in English to people that read only chinese, the results won't be very good at all, and in that case we have a problem of "environment".

However, given all the rest even, the test measure the actual intelligence of individuals that is the result of genetical and social factors.

Intelligence, of course, understood like the skill to solve abstract problems, and nothing else.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 01:37
Only one problem Pinguin, often I.Q. tests are given early in life and ask children to identify shapes and patterns. These tests also don't take into account disabilities, there are many people with learning disabilities who are actually very intelligent but might not test well. For instance some people with dislexia might not do well on I.Q. tests while actually having a high IQ. The cultural bias is not in asking somebody who's language is not English to do it in English but rather in the actual questions.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 11:51

Only one problem Pinguin, often I.Q. tests are given early in life and ask children to identify shapes and patterns. These tests also don't take into account disabilities, there are many people with learning disabilities who are actually very intelligent but might not test well. For instance some people with dislexia might not do well on I.Q. tests while actually having a high IQ. The cultural bias is not in asking somebody who's language is not English to do it in English but rather in the actual questions.

I agee  with  you  king  John, 

The  first  I.Q.  test  where  developed  in north  eastern  U.S.
The  people  in  this  area  did  rather   well  on  the  test,  with  a  good  distrubution  of  scores.  The  same  test  was  taken  to the  southern  U.S.  states,   where  the  scoring  was  much  lower  for  both  whites  and  blacks.  leaving  the  stigma  that  southern  americans  were  dumber than  northerners, especially blacks. 

Later  research  into this  test  showed  the  test  used  many  words  not  commonly used  by southern  americans,  but  where common  to  north-eastern  states.

Some  test  results  show  that  certain neighborhoods  in  black  communities  have  a  mental  handicap rate  of  30%,  which  is  impossible!!  It  has  to  do  with  the  words  being  used,  or  the  concepts  being asked  to  make  judgements  about,  they  are  not  familar  to  the  test  takers  therefore  the   test  taker  does   poorly.

They  are  difinitely bias.

Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 16:16
Originally posted by vibo

I agee  with  you  king  John, 

The  first  I.Q.  test  where  developed  in north  eastern  U.S.

The  people  in  this  area  did  rather   well  on  the  test,  with  a  good  distrubution  of  scores.  The  same  test  was  taken  to the  southern  U.S.  states,   where  the  scoring  was  much  lower  for  both  whites  and  blacks.  leaving  the  stigma  that  southern  americans  were  dumber than  northerners, especially blacks. 

Later  research  into this  test  showed  the  test  used  many  words  not  commonly used  by southern  americans,  but  where common  to  north-eastern  states.

Some  test  results  show  that  certain neighborhoods  in  black  communities  have  a  mental  handicap rate  of  30%,  which  is  impossible!!  It  has  to  do  with  the  words  being  used,  or  the  concepts  being asked  to  make  judgements  about,  they  are  not  familar  to  the  test  takers  therefore  the   test  taker  does   poorly.

They  are  difinitely bias.

Thank god there are people who realize this. My mentor is a member of MENSA and organization for people with above average I.Q scores. She took the test because she was dared to by a couple of snotty bitches who thought that just because she chose to be a dancer she couldn't possibly have a brain in her head. She took it, aced it and is of the opinion that the test DOES NOT test intelligence. Its tests how familiar the individual is with White Protestant Middle class American culture. I've met many MENSA members over the years and they are some of the dumbest nitwits you will ever meet. So while they have have a certain type of intelligence, they lack common sense, social skills and other basic knowledge essential for living in the real world. Like racial categorizations, its just another tool used by the ruling elite to decide who has access to the resources in society and who doesn't.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 18:34
I think you might be over-generalizing there, amigo. For one thing, MENSA is an international organization, so I highly doubt that it's requisite testing only measures "familiarity with White Protestant Middle Class American culture." Also, to call them "some of the dumbest nitwits I [sic] will ever meet" is categorically wrong.

Now, I'm not disputing that many IQ tests (for there are many different permutations) do have certain cultural biases (because certainly many of them do), but throwing around blanket generalizations and casting about slurs doesn't do anything to rectify the problem or even begin to address a solution. Any form of standardized testing will have a certain contextual/cultural slant; it's just unavoidable. So do all forms of language, all social norms, all customs, biases, prejudices, opinions and worldviews. Postmodern theorists have been addressing these sorts of concerns for years. I'd look some of them up (Foucoult is always a good place to start) before falling back on the "sweeping generalizations/ unoriginal insults" card...
My Name is Eli Manning. Ponce owns my soul.
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 19:02
Originally posted by HEROI

Ignorance is based on lack of information,and Africa has a higher degree of ignorance among it population then Europe,not because African are black but because Europians have very easy acsess to information.

Ignorance? Ignorant in what way? They are not ignorant they are impoverished due to the effects of colonial exploitation of their resourses, the destruction of their social structures and the agitation of rivalries between groups. Not to mention the expliotation of the world bank and multi-national corporations and the undermining of their own elected governments by the USA and other so called first world nations.

In the rural villages these people speak at least 2 to 3 other languages other than their own and in urban areas, just as many in addition to at least one or two European languages. In the end it is the perception of an ignorant Africa that still needs to be fought because we are never shown evidence of African intelligence in the media. We know more about the elephants and lions than we do about any country in Africa. Why is that? The very internet we use to communicate owes its existance to an African, yet most of the world knows nothing about his contribution to its developement, why is that?

[QUOTE=HEROI]
My opinion is that African-American is not the Ideal name for this community,but their history in America is not like the history of the other communities,therefore we can not say why are black people called like that but white europian people not.Because there is a difference as to the origines of this communities and their history in America.

The thing is that white people who are not of English origin ARE singled out. Last time I looked Italian Americans, Irish Americans, Polish Americans, German Americans, Greek Americans, Russian Americans are all white. The real question is why should any American be required to identify themselves as anything other than an American? So as long as all other Americans are identified by the government based on a name that identifies their geographic and cultural location, why should these people be identified by their skin color rather than their geographic location?

[QUOTE=HEROI]
I think as long as there is a complete reconsiliation between the communities the term African-American is well fited.
It even helps Africans realise that their fate has been shared during the course of history for being black Africans,not for being from one nationality or the other.

Sad but true. Which is why I find the term caucasian in reference to African peoples insulting and rediculous. Any African, regardless of how narrow their features are, how straight the hair or light the skin is considered a nigger when they get to America and Europe. They are not recognized as a branch of the same human family by white people there. It was only a few years ago that an Ethiopian, so called CAUCASIAN was killed in a race crime by a group of white supremacist skin heads. Caucasian in theory, nigger in practice. That's the way it is, all else is just stupidity and mind games.
Shogun
Shogun

Suspended

Quote Rakasnumberone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2008 at 19:11
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

I think you might be over-generalizing there, amigo. For one thing, MENSA is an international organization, so I highly doubt that it's requisite testing only measures "familiarity with White Protestant Middle Class American culture." Also, to call them "some of the dumbest nitwits I [sic] will ever meet" is categorically wrong. Now, I'm not disputing that many IQ tests (for there are many different permutations) do have certain cultural biases (because certainly many of them do), but throwing around blanket generalizations and casting about slurs doesn't do anything to rectify the problem or even begin to address a solution. Any form of standardized testing will have a certain contextual/cultural slant; it's just unavoidable. So do all forms of language, all social norms, all customs, biases, prejudices, opinions and worldviews. Postmodern theorists have been addressing these sorts of concerns for years. I'd look some of them up (Foucoult is always a good place to start) before falling back on the "sweeping generalizations/ unoriginal insults" card...

Are all MENSA members nitwits, of course not, but many of the ones I know personally are. As for unoriginal insults, why go through the trouble of making up a new one when the ready made ones work just fine?

The real point of the matter is that a high I.Q. is not a gaurantee of how a person is able to interact in the real world. You can have a very high I.Q. and be dysfunctional in the extreeme. People put much too much trust in them than they deserve. Knowledge without wisdom is useless, wisdome without knowledge is useless. An I.Q. test does not measure how well rounded an individual is, their ability to interact and communicate effectively with other people or any of the other things one actually needs to function in the practical world.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>