Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

creationism or evolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>
Poll Question: which do you believe is right and why
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
12 [16.67%]
47 [65.28%]
13 [18.06%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: creationism or evolution
    Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 04:30
"No, the truth is not somewhere in the middle. Either there's a scientific explanation for everything, or else there's some magical sky fairy hiding in the clouds performing magic tricks. In my opinion, people who believe in a magical fairy are just plain nuts."

Okay...and this comment is relevant how?

"First of all, you have shown you know virtually nothing about science. A theory is the highest level of understanding in science. A theory begins as an hypothesis. It doesn't become a theory until it's been tested repeatedly and successfully thousands of times by thousands of scientists. The theory of evolution is an explanation of the countless facts of evolution, including the proven beyond any doubt fact humans and chimps share an ancestor. "

Then there are facts. Yea gj.

"Nobody has been alive the past 6 million years to watch the development of human apes and chimpanzee apes. However, biologists have the complete genome of both species. By comparing DNA sequences, biologists have proven again and again, several dozens of times, the humans and chimps are related. There is absolutely no doubt about this evidence from molecular biology. A creationist can't say he knows more about DNA than any biologist when the creationist doesn't know a thing about it. Face facts, creationists. You're wrong about everything, and you're morons. "

Then there is that missing link thing...so yea...nice try again.

Now even if you are 100 percent right where do you get off on calling me a moron? You seem to be a very wound up person with many personal issues if you need to lash out like this over the internet. You give the impression that your mom is about to bring a plate of pizza bites to your desk.

"There's still no consensus about how the first living cells developed. One idea is the ancient earth was bombarded by comets and that's where the organic matter that eventually developed into the first cells came from. Another idea is life developed near volcanos under the sea. Every single scientist working on the beginning of life problem agrees it was a natural process. It's childish and idiotic to suggest life began magically when some supernatural sky fairy waved a magic wand. That's just plain insane. "

Right, but how did life come from the comets? Who put the life on the comets? And simply being a volcano or in water doesn't make life either. You see your version of evolution relies on the fallacy that life was not, and then randomly it was. In any case even if evolution is just as you say who is to say (a) God(s) didn't do it regardless?

"It's not a big deal to be superior to a creationist, because creationists are not much smarter than dogs. In fact, I would say dogs, while not being too smart, are at least not insane like the creationists are. A person really has to be hopelessly sick in the head to be willing to choose magic instead of modern science. "

No it isn't a big deal to be a mouthy internet monkey on the internet, but just because it is easy doesn't mean you have to show it to everyone.

BTW there is a whole slew of crap you wrote in there that suggests you obviously didn't/can't read what I wrote I just can't be bothered to correct, mostly because it is you i'm replying to.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 07:05
Bobxxxx, belittling other people's opinions/world views does nothing to aid your argument. The last thing that the people in this thread who support Evolution and are making arguments for it need is for somebody to come in to the discussion slinging mud as you have done. Comments like: "Face facts, creationists. You're wrong about everything, and you're morons," and "It's not a big deal to be superior to a creationist, because creationists are not much smarter than dogs. In fact, I would say dogs, while not being too smart, are at least not insane like the creationists are. A person really has to be hopelessly sick in the head to be willing to choose magic instead of modern science," do absolutely nothing. If people want to believe that that's their prerogative, if they have looked at the facts and interpreted them so that they see God creating everything you should not be so offended by their opinion. Unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation here please refrain from posting, especially if you are going to call people or groups of people names.

I was watching a program on the Discovery Channel that hypothesized that life originated on this planet after it was bombarded by meteors. The effect of this bombardment was that the Earth suffered what would be equivalent to the radiation of 100s if not 1000s of Atom bombs. Once the Earth's surface and the water on the surface cooled extremophiles started to develop. Extremophiles are bacteria that live in extreme conditions, they have been found in the cooling water of nuclear reactors (where they weren't present before), in temperatures that don't support any other life, and in areas with gases that would kill other life (an example of the last two places would be in and around oceanic volcano vents).

Carpathian Wolf, I see that you like to stir the pot, if you will. Please don't hijack this thread as you have others. I hope you apply what I said in the first paragraph of this post to yourself. You should also note that Bobxxxx did not call you a moron, he called creationists morons and since from what you said in your original post that comment was a swipe at others not you. I do find it amusing that you chastise Bobxxxx for insulting you and then turn around and do the exact same thing at the end of your post. Have you ever heard of take the higher road? If you are in an intellectual discussion with somebody and they call you a name do you punch them in the face? No, you walk away because that person is not worth your time. I believe that is what Christ meant when he said "turn the other cheek." Also just because somebody insults you doesn't mean that you can/should insult them back. If you don't then your position is actually strengthened because you're showing that you actually have evidence on your side.

With that said, I don't believe I've read anything on Evolution that says it deals with where life on earth came from.

Originally posted by Carpathian Wolf

Then there is that missing link thing...so yea...nice try again.
What is this supposed to prove? Would you care to fully develop this argument, instead of just writing little one-liners that are idle in their contributions? Scientists find "missing links" every so often. In the study of Human Evolution scientists have found a number of transitional forms.

You should also know that this is not an issue of Atheism vs. Theism since a person can believe in both and not be in personal conflict. Believing in Evolution does not require a person to say there is no God just like believing in God does not require people to say that Evolution does not exist.
Carpathian Wolf View Drop Down
General
General

BANNED

Quote Carpathian Wolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 07:35
"I was watching a program on the Discovery Channel that hypothesized that life originated on this planet after it was bombarded by meteors. The effect of this bombardment was that the Earth suffered what would be equivalent to the radiation of 100s if not 1000s of Atom bombs. Once the Earth's surface and the water on the surface cooled extremophiles started to develop. Extremophiles are bacteria that live in extreme conditions, they have been found in the cooling water of nuclear reactors (where they weren't present before), in temperatures that don't support any other life, and in areas with gases that would kill other life (an example of the last two places would be in and around oceanic volcano vents). "

But where did that bacteria come from? You can radiate rocks and water forever and none of it will come alive. Even that theory falls to the same catagory stated above.

"Carpathian Wolf, I see that you like to stir the pot, if you will. Please don't hijack this thread as you have others. I hope you apply what I said in the first paragraph of this post to yourself. You should also note that Bobxxxx did not call you a moron, he called creationists morons and since from what you said in your original post that comment was a swipe at others not you. I do find it amusing that you chastise Bobxxxx for insulting you and then turn around and do the exact same thing at the end of your post. Have you ever heard of take the higher road? If you are in an intellectual discussion with somebody and they call you a name do you punch them in the face? No, you walk away because that person is not worth your time. I believe that is what Christ meant when he said "turn the other cheek." Also just because somebody insults you doesn't mean that you can/should insult them back. If you don't then your position is actually strengthened because you're showing that you actually have evidence on your side."

Stir the pot? Hijack threads? Idle accusations are boring and therefor wrong. They really have no place here. I simply gave an opinion and replied to a post. Saying he's being a mouthy monkey is hardly an insult. Calling him a "jerk" would have been harsher, though both terms would probably be fairly accurate concerning the way he talks. My comment at worse is a kintergarden tease but was more so intended to give the guy a hint. If "mouthy monkey" was deeply offensive for anyone to read i apologize from the bottom of my heart. :p

"With that said, I don't believe I've read anything on Evolution that says it deals with where life on earth came from. "

You are right, but it leads to some problems that can not be ignored. Take for example this. The ball is green so there for all green is ball. Based with just that sentence of information and nothin else it is correct. Say we create a science theory around green/ball that deals with nothing else. We still run into the problem that grass is also green but grass isn't ball is it? You can't just say "but that theory doesn't deal with grass, green/ball". I think it would be counter constructive to carry that same mentality concerning evolution as well.

"What is this supposed to prove? Would you care to fully develop this argument, instead of just writing little one-liners that are idle in their contributions? Scientists find "missing links" every so often. In the study of Human Evolution scientists have found a number of transitional forms. "

He was suggesting we already knew everything there was to know about human evolution links, which isn't true. I thought it was obvious enough.

"You should also know that this is not an issue of Atheism vs. Theism since a person can believe in both and not be in personal conflict. Believing in Evolution does not require a person to say there is no God just like believing in God does not require people to say that Evolution does not exist. "

I agree that a person can believe in both evolution and God, but I mean the general sense of emotion concerning the topic stems from atheism vs theism. But I agree, even if we somehow evolved from bacteria caused by comets it could still be God's doing.
bobxxxx View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote bobxxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 10:52
"Bobxxxx, belittling other people's opinions/world views does nothing to aid your argument. The last thing that the people in this thread who support Evolution and are making arguments for it need is for somebody to come in to the discussion slinging mud as you have done. Comments like: "Face facts, creationists. You're wrong about everything, and you're morons," and "It's not a big deal to be superior to a creationist, because creationists are not much smarter than dogs. In fact, I would say dogs, while not being too smart, are at least not insane like the creationists are. A person really has to be hopelessly sick in the head to be willing to choose magic instead of modern science," do absolutely nothing. If people want to believe that that's their prerogative, if they have looked at the facts and interpreted them so that they see God creating everything you should not be so offended by their opinion. Unless you have something constructive to add to the conversation here please refrain from posting, especially if you are going to call people or groups of people names."

I stand by everything I said. I said creationists are morons because creationists ARE morons. I said creationists are wrong about everything because they ARE wrong about everything. Every single competent biologist would agree with me. If creationists had any intelligence at all, they wouldn't be creationists. How hard is it to study evolution? Information about evolutionary biology is all over the place. There's tons of evidence described in great detail available to anyone who looks for it. The creationists just ignore it. Why do they ignore it? Because they enjoy their childish everything-is-magic fantasy world.

Don't like being called a dummy? Then for goodness sake study science. Creationists think their total ignorance of science is equal to the knowledge of the entire scientific community. That attitude deserves ridicule. Until creationists stop being lazy and get to work and study science until they understand it, they can expect to be laughed at for the rest of their pathetic wasted lives.
bobxxxx View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote bobxxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 10:59
"Then there is that missing link thing...so yea...nice try again."

The fossil evidence is overwhelming, but fossils are not necessary to prove all life is related. Powerful evidence from molecular biology and genetics is all that's required to call evolution a fact. If you bothered to study science, you would know this.

"Right, but how did life come from the comets? Who put the life on the comets?"

Who said there's life on comets? I sure didn't say that. I said comets may contain organic matter. That's what life developed from. Comets may or may not have had something to do with the development of the first living cells, but most certainly your magical-sky-fairy-of-the-gaps had nothing to do with it. Magic is for the Dark Ages. The last time I checked I noticed we're living in the 21st century. It's time to grow up and throw out your religious woo-woo.
bobxxxx View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote bobxxxx Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 11:27
"If people want to believe that that's their prerogative, if they have looked at the facts and interpreted them so that they see God creating everything you should not be so offended by their opinion."

They have not looked at the facts. They have not looked at anything. These people refuse to study science and they refuse to understand science. How can they interpret evidence they refuse to study? How can they interpret evidence they're too bloody stupid to understand? They just say god-did-it like robots because they were trained to be robots.

Offended by their opinion? I'm not offended by their breathtaking stupidity. I laugh at it. Also, I would be happy to completely ignore creationist morons if they had the decency to keep their insanity in their churches. But you know and I know that creationists are constantly trying to stick their childish magic into science education. They are not satisfied with lying to their own children. They want to force biology teachers to lie to everyone else's children.

Creationists who attack America's science education are traitors. They're no better than Muslim terrorists. I don't respect creationists for the same reason I don't respect Muslim terrorists. Christian creationists and Muslim terrorists are enemies of my country, and they deserve to be treated like enemies. It's a fact that creationist traitors are the most bloody stupid people in human history. As long as creationists continue to attack education, I'm not going to be quiet about how hopelessly stupid they are. I'm not going to be nice to traitors who belong in prison.
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 17:29
I'm going to let Cuahtemoc deal with your post, but I will say this creationists don't belong in jail as they have committed no crime.

Carpathian don't act like you don't stir the pot or hijack threads. You were warned in June for hijacking threads and you have steered the "Radovan Karadzic Arrested" thread totally off point thus hijacking it. This was not an "idle accusation" it is an accusation that has merit and is true. My opening address does belong here as it is a request for you not to subvert the discussion going on in this thread. That's the first point, point number two is where I grew up calling somebody a monkey is a racial insult. You also clearly missed the point of my response to you.

Originally posted by King John

I was watching a program on the Discovery Channel that hypothesized that life originated on this planet after it was bombarded by meteors. The effect of this bombardment was that the Earth suffered what would be equivalent to the radiation of 100s if not 1000s of Atom bombs. Once the Earth's surface and the water on the surface cooled extremophiles started to develop. Extremophiles are bacteria that live in extreme conditions, they have been found in the cooling water of nuclear reactors (where they weren't present before), in temperatures that don't support any other life, and in areas with gases that would kill other life (an example of the last two places would be in and around oceanic volcano vents).
But where did that bacteria come from? You can radiate rocks and water forever and none of it will come alive. Even that theory falls to the same catagory stated above.
The bacteria could have come from complex chemical reactions set off by the radiation. We know that water, rocks, and the atmosphere are all made up of chemicals that are subject to reactions under intense conditions.

He was suggesting we already knew everything there was to know about human evolution links, which isn't true. I thought it was obvious enough.

He never stated that, what he said was that scientists have the complete genome for both species. That is they, scientists, have completely mapped the DNA of humans and chimps. Saying that we know all the missing links is a misrepresentation of what he said. Here is what he actually said:
Originally posted by Bobxxxx

Nobody has been alive the past 6 million years to watch the development of human apes and chimpanzee apes. However, biologists have the complete genome of both species. By comparing DNA sequences, biologists have proven again and again, several dozens of times, the humans and chimps are related. There is absolutely no doubt about this evidence from molecular biology.
Also missing links are irrelevant to what Bobxxxx was saying. No missing link is needed for a study of two species genomes and to see if they are related. By comparing them scientists are able to tell when the two populations diverged from each other. This allows scientist to date the split in an Evolutionary line and does not require any knowledge of previous links between the two populations.   

Edited by King John - 03-Aug-2008 at 17:30
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 17:45
Hello to you all

Well since everyone is so hotheaded about the subject I have been thinking and reached a brilliant compromise, why don't we make creavolution the standard biological model and thus most people will be happy.

Al-jassas
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Quote beorna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Aug-2008 at 23:20
Originally posted by bobxxxx

There's no excuse for their stupidity.
Very strong words and not very handsome. Well I said somewhere above we're at war with fundamentalists or better they declared war on us. We shouldn't act defensive and proove every little think we say and they are allowed to say: "God exists and people can't understand his existence. We don't need to proove it."
But I don't agree with you, that creatonists are stupid. There are different groups of fundamentalists. One group, the leaders, the political or religious leaders are often psychotic persons. They are often extremely intelligent. On the other side there are the followers or disciples. Often they are persons who are searching, eg. searching for the sense of life like we do as scientists. It is not unusal that these people have problems, perhaps in their youth, perhaps now, hunger, poverty, hopeless, jobless.... They just search for a base, for a safe ground or haven. Fundamentalist statements pretend to give saftiness. They give easy answers. That is why so many people are misled by fundamentalists. So I wouldn't call fundamentalists generally stupid allthough a lot of them are so for sure. But stupid people are common in every group, every society. That's why the average IQ is 100 and not 130. Religion is nothing bad if it helps people, if it gives them hope. The problems begin if the non-believers or people with other beliefs are on the way to hell, if they are evil or godless, lost. The problem is not that creatonists or ID's believe that god is responsible for everything, it's their attempt to proove that the bible is right word by word. So if Adam and Eve lived just 6000 years ago it means that this is an attack not only on evolutionists, but on History, Georaphy, Geology, Physics, Chemistry, Astronomy scientists too. The best way to safe people from wrong preachers is to give them hope and a sense in their lifes. But of course education is another important thing too. That's why these guys try to install the bible in the biology lesson instead of Darwin.
Count Belisarius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 00:32
The big bang is wrong, according to most evolutionary textbooks everything was compressed into a dot not much smaller than period on this page, and then another textbook says that nothing literally means nothing, so millions of years ago nothing exploded, and if all the matter in the universe was compressed into a dot where did all the matter come from?. If somthing is spinning like the dot in the big bang theory lets it's spinning clockwise and then lets say pieces start off break off the dot, then they will fly off spinning clockwise, I believe thats the law of angular momentum, but there are whole galaxys that are spinning counterclockwise. That seems to have disproved the big bang theory, and without the big bang theory evolution can't happen.           

Defenders of Ulthuan, Cult of Asuryan (57 Kills and counting)

Byzantine Emperor View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Kastrophylax kai Tzaousios

Quote Byzantine Emperor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 02:13

I must state first and foremost that evolution is irrelevant to the salvation of souls, to Theosis.

Bravo!  I agree with this statement and am glad it was mentioned in this thread.

No, the truth is not somewhere in the middle. Either there's a scientific explanation for everything, or else there's some magical sky fairy hiding in the clouds performing magic tricks. In my opinion, people who believe in a magical fairy are just plain nuts.

So we should exchange God for another god, science, and look to that as the final authority for this life and the next?

It is not as though bobxxxx is providing us with some kind of new and shocking revelation.  Every other bigshot out there who has been "shown the way" by perfect, realistic scientific "evidence" has the same mantra to say about people of faith.

How is God casting magic spells if he ordered the natural world and the means by which living organisms reproduce?  There would be no need for some intermediary force to produce things out of thin air if this was the case.

I stand by everything I said. I said creationists are morons because creationists ARE morons. I said creationists are wrong about everything because they ARE wrong about everything. Every single competent biologist would agree with me. If creationists had any intelligence at all, they wouldn't be creationists. How hard is it to study evolution? Information about evolutionary biology is all over the place. There's tons of evidence described in great detail available to anyone who looks for it. The creationists just ignore it. Why do they ignore it? Because they enjoy their childish everything-is-magic fantasy world.

You speak as if everyone who reads science will have some kind of revelatory, religious experience.  They will be converted to the ways of science and turn from the former "magical" heresies.  What do you have to say about those who study science, understand science, and even work in a scientific profession yet at the same time have a vibrant religious faith that is important in their lives?  Are they in between, some kind of shadowy hybrid that is half in the dark and half in the light?  Or, are you saying that it is only those who hold the particular belief in Creation that are stupid dogs?

Darius of Parsa View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
King of Kings

Quote Darius of Parsa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 02:59
It says in the Bible that we (people) are capable of understanding miracles. Humans can do this through science. I am neither a creationist or evolutionist. I believe that God created a blue-print of what would happen. God knew that each organism alive today would exist but they were created through evolution, which He molded. So I believe it is neither, but both.

Edited by Darius of Parsa - 04-Aug-2008 at 02:59
What is the officer problem?
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 08:15
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

The big bang is wrong, according to most evolutionary textbooks everything was compressed into a dot not much smaller than period on this page, and then another textbook says that nothing literally means nothing, so millions of years ago nothing exploded, and if all the matter in the universe was compressed into a dot where did all the matter come from?. If somthing is spinning like the dot in the big bang theory lets it's spinning clockwise and then lets say pieces start off break off the dot, then they will fly off spinning clockwise, I believe thats the law of angular momentum, but there are whole galaxys that are spinning counterclockwise. That seems to have disproved the big bang theory, and without the big bang theory evolution can't happen.           
Maybe you want to be so kind and point to us which is the evolutionary textbook that deals with the Big Bang.
And you could try a Schwartzschild sphere or a zero energy Universe. The latter may give you an idea of how our Universe spawn from "nothing".
And you should not try to use analogies when dealing with high energy particle physics. They usually don't work, those things tend to behave rather weird in terms of habitual events we humans are dealing with on a daily basis. Unless you think the electron is a tiny ball...
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 08:29
Originally posted by Darius of Parsa

It says in the Bible that we (people) are capable of understanding miracles. Humans can do this through science. I am neither a creationist or evolutionist. I believe that God created a blue-print of what would happen. God knew that each organism alive today would exist but they were created through evolution, which He molded. So I believe it is neither, but both.
This is some kind of mild ID theory. Science doesn't deal with supernatural. One can choose deism or pantheism and both these forms of religious thought are compatible with science. The theistic view has to deal with the fact that since God (whatever theistic one) directly influences the Universe, it is yet impossible to associate God's actions with science.
Scientific theories are not designed by people who want to disprove God. Evolution is not about supernatural. Creation is. Since scientific methods for supernatural are not available it is impossible to scientifically prove creationism. It eventually leads to proving God.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 09:05

Voted other option. Even though i'm a Christian (Orthodox) i don't see evolution or the notion of a creator to contradict. I must state first and foremost that evolution is irrelevant to the salvation of souls, to Theosis.

Totally agree with you.
Next, evolution does take faith to believe in. This is for mr bobxxxx who has a superiority complex it seems. Have you seen evolution happen? No, that is why evolution is a theory. There is evidence that back up this theory but it wouldn't be the first time when we've had evidence for a scientific phenomenon only to be thrown off by one tiny variable.
Actually, what you're doing is stating that both science and religion rely on the same kind of mental/spiritual state: faith. Since I'm not religious I don't think it is correct to be told that I have faith. The fact is that I don't have faith and that is the real difference. I might have some system of beliefs of a sort but it's not the same thing religious persons have. Therefore, I have no faith. There are scientists who are religious so they have faith but the scientific work they perform is not about faith. They might even be faith-diven in what they do but that doesn't mean their belief in God ist he same with their belief in science.

Personally i believe in adaptive evolution. If having red hair becomes a variable that makes a human being more adaptive to survive, then the other people will be killed off more often then the red haired people and red hair will be more common. Just how the darwin's finches, the birds with longer beaks could feed themselves and therefore passed their genes off. I don't believe however that humans will ever evolve to have wings or something like that. Nor do i believe we evolved from germs, to fish to frogs to chimps to humans etc. You pose the question "well then where did we come from?" And I pose the question "Where did the germs come from? Where did life come from?" One of the laws of physics is that nothing new is ever really created nor can it be destroyed. Only material and energy change forms. So at one moment something was not alive, lock a pebble, and then life existed. That exact moment can not be explained by evolution. To me it is all really irrelevant and in large this debate is more of an atheist vs theist issue then anything else.
Adaptive evolution? That's evolution of some sort, isn't it? Are throwing in a new theory?
Origin of life is not a subject of evolution. Why are some people constantly bringing up this when talking about evolution?
"One of the laws of physics is that nothing new is ever really created nor can it be destroyed" - are you at the same school with Cuauhtemoc? Are you talking here about the first principle of thermodynamics? Do you think life is another form of matter or energy that needs to be created? Scince describes life as being a natural process. It fits damn well with physics. The origin of life is mostly a matter of chemistry. And experiments have shown the possiblity of life to appear from basic elements. Panspermy is another proposition but it eventually falls into regression since the "seeds" must have an origin. The abiogenesis argument is simple, while not being simpler.

The truth is somewhere in the middle.
Oh, boy, the grey fallacy! If living things evolve then the truth is not in the middle. We are dealing with one scientific theory, a religious concept (creation) and a religious based contraption (ID). There's no middle truth in these. I can take religious creation as a supernatural explanation for the existence. That is OK with evolution but it doesn't deny it. So, there's no middle truth here.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Aug-2008 at 15:47
Are you saying that there isn't an evolutionary textbook that deals with the big bang?. And I agree science and Christianty are both compatible. 

Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 08:55
Originally posted by Count Belisarius

Are you saying that there isn't an evolutionary textbook that deals with the big bang?. And I agree science and Christianty are both compatible. 
I don't know of any. Only physiscs (astrophysics, if you like).
I would say religion and science are compatible unless one attempts to mix those two.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 15:54
Why are they not compatible if they are mixed? and if there are no books that deal with the bang then they have no cause for evolution thus evolution can't happen without a cause.

King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 20:59
The Big Bang can be wrong and have no impact on evolution, since evolution does not deal with the origins of the universe nor does it deal with how life on Earth started. Evolution only deals with how life changed over time. Therefore Evolution and the Big Bang have nothing to do with each other.
Chieftain
Chieftain
Magister Militum

Quote Count Belisarius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Aug-2008 at 22:38
Then were did life come from?  

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1516171819 33>