Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Favorite Author?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
kilroy View Drop Down
Baron
Baron
AE Editor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kilroy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Favorite Author?
    Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 22:03
Someone (who knows i read a lot) asked me who my favorite author was today.  And i, in turn, am asking you.  Who is your favorite author?

This may seem like a simple enough question, but with so many quality choices out there, i had a hard time slimming the field down.  But i finally came up with two authors that i could say are leading the pack right now (in fiction and nonfiction respectively. 

George R.R Martin wins it in fiction for me.  His books (the Song of Ice and Fire series,a fantasy series) is just amazing.  He handles multiple story lines with ease and clarity.  His characters seem incredibly real, and although his world building isn't top notch, like Steven Erickson or Tolken, its right up there in the top 5 (i think). 

For nonfiction, it'd have to be Adrian Goldsworthy.  His command on his subject (Roman military) is incredible.  His biography on Caesar was extremely well done, and his book, The Complete Roman Army is probably the best on the subject today.  His book on the Punic wars is also top notch. 

So there are my picks, whats yours? 
Kilroy was here.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 06:01
Wow, talk about a hard question.  (I could have sworn there was another thread on this somewhere, perhaps that was more specific) 

I don't think I can narrow it down to favorite; favorite non-fiction and fiction may be possible.  There are several that stand out but for recent fiction (ha, ha, that way I avoid shakespeare and most of the classics) it has to be Tolkien.  Brian Jacques and J.K. Rowling come in just behind.  For non-fiction, now that is more difficult.  Do biographies count?  I'll have to give it some more time before I can give you a favorite there.  With regards to the classics there is of course Shakespeare, but I am also a huge fan of Dumas. 

By tomorrow I'm sure I will be completely changing my selections.LOL
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 06:32
John Julius Norwhich, for his masterful and exquisite command of the English language.
Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 12:35
Favorite fiction writer for me is Robert Jordan (may he take shelter in the palm of the creator)
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 02:38
Originally posted by Constantine XI

John Julius Norwhich, for his masterful and exquisite command of the English language.

I agree and I have read his three volume set about Byzantine history three times.

Fiction: Edgar Rice Burroughs and Robert E Howard

The Mars series and Conan the Barbarian

primary sources: The Alexiad and the Conquest of Gaul.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 02:51
Wow it's been a while since I've heard the name Robert E. Howard, I'm a big fan of his.

My favorite for fiction is Matthew Pearl or Agatha Christie. I am also a very big fan of the Playwright Martin McDonagh.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 04:18
Best author?

Please be more specific. In which genre? From which time? From what culture or period of time?

Otherwise we are comparing pears with apples.

Some of my favorite authors in a particular subgenre, essays, are: Carl Sagan and Bronowsky. In Spanish poetry I love Antonio Machado. In classics I love Cervantes (Quixote) and Shakespeare, however I consider than the ancients from Greece and Rome were superior to both.

In Science fiction I love Shelley, Verne, Asimov, Heinlein, Clarke, Chriton and a long list, without forgetting Mary Shelley and E.A. Poe.
In terror, Poe and Lovecraft are my favorites.

In magic realism I love Isabel Allende and I preffer Vargas Llosa better than Garcial Marquez.

What else? I couldn't compare the works between them because they are absolutely different.

Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 08:15
Matthew Reilly.
akritas View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Hegemom

Quote akritas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 08:51
Evangelos P. Papanoutsos and  Cornelius Kastoriades.
TheSmokinPot View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote TheSmokinPot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Jan-2008 at 02:01
exactly: be more specific...
Kamus, Sartre, Dostoevsky, Nitsche... too many and too different
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Mar-2008 at 18:31
Edgar Rice Burroughs is still one of my favs with his Mars series. Jack London was a great influence on me as well.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
 Post Reply Post Reply