Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

In Presidential Elections, A Dark Horse is rising

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: In Presidential Elections, A Dark Horse is rising
    Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 22:01
Originally posted by eaglecap

Originally posted by es_bih

So you agree that Israel should be given more territory?

NO!

You didn't specify. He obviously stands for a lot of various issues.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Dec-2007 at 23:01
Well eaglecap, you should read my link above to see what the founding fathers really thought about the nature of the United states. in the treaties with the Barbary pirates they clearly identified the US as a secular country with no religion. here is the link again:

Al-Jassas
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 00:32
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Well eaglecap, you should read my link above to see what the founding fathers really thought about the nature of the United states. in the treaties with the Barbary pirates they clearly identified the US as a secular country with no religion. here is the link again:

Al-Jassas

There are a lot of links on this so could you please pin point it. I grew up with American history and all you have to do is take a tour of our capital to see the Christian influences. America is secular when it comes to seperation of church and state but the religion which has had the most influence on our nation is Christianity. There are revisionist historian on the liberal left side who would make you think different.
This treaty might state this but it does not change our history. This portion of the treaty might simply mean we do not have a state run church such as the church of England etc. I know you cannot seperate religion from politics in an Islamic (sharia law) country so maybe they were clarifying this- seperation of church and state (USA).

by the way, the more I read about Hucklebee the less I like him.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Ponce de Leon View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 01:38
Originally posted by hugoestr

From the NYT

Wow. Did he ever thought that this could become his campaign slogan?
"My desire is that you be released from prison.

His worst enemy couldn't have come up with it.

It did not take into full account the entire quote however, which I believe is an attempt to put him in an even worse light. This is the full quote:

My desire is that you be released from prison. I feel that parole is the best way for your reintroduction to society to take place," -Huckabee

Huckabee has said before that he has looked thru every case that has ever been passed on his case, and did not approve anything without careful consideration. (You can see an interview with Huckabee on Bill O'Reilly's show Huckabee Interview

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 07-Dec-2007 at 01:39
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 07:57
So far I like Ron Paul's foreign policy... I do not know much of his domestic policies as of yet.
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 14:47
Hello eaglecap

Actually, the concept of total secularization was acceptable from day one of the republic. The treaties specifically said the US did not support any belief system not that it did not have an established religion. Morality legistlation was not attempted based on religion, it was basically based on people's conceptions. Religious sects and social cults that appeared in the early period of the US history, like the , mormons did not face trouble from the government because of their religion. Polygemy was allowed in the Utah territories but when statehood was in question, back in the 1890s at the start of protestant fundamementalism that succeeded later in legislating religious (prohibition) on the rest of the US, mormons had to abandon the practice because states that had fundamentalist majorities refused to endorse the union untill they abanodon it completely from their belief system not just like muslims who can theoritically marry more than one woman but by law they couldn't. The entire mormon religion had to be changed because it did not suit fundamentalist but earlier in the 1850s when the territory was created that was not seen as a problem.

If you also return to the first cases that tested the 1st amendment, you will find that most of these cases were between fundamentalist influenced government officials or government entities and Jehova's witnesses. mormon practices (though they were far more extreme than the witnesses) were not even challanged back in the early days of the republic but the hostility that faced the witnesses was huge. Amish also suffered from these fundamentalists but I don't know about Orthodox sects. All these testify that the notion of a completely secular US was the norm, it was only later that people started to have problems.

Al-Jassas
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 15:18
all you have to do is take a tour of our capital to see the Christian influences.

Actually, a tour to the capital will show the Greco-Roman and Masonic influence.

Are we then a Greco-Roman Masonic country?
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 17:45
Let us not get into that. This is a discussion on the candidates running for President.

Although I am still for Huckabee, if I was suppose to root for another candidate it would be Ron Paul. I like him because he knows his history.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 19:40

all you have to do is take a tour of our capital to see the Christian influences.

Actually, a tour to the capital will show the Greco-Roman and Masonic influence.

Are we then a Greco-Roman Masonic country?

Alongside a copy of the Qu'ran and a statue of Muhammed

I do not see the founding fathers being aware of founding a "Christian" nation. There is a good book on the founding fathers, Founding Brothers I believe is the title, and you do not get a Christian feel from it. Christianity was the overall major religion, but the majority of the founding fathers were clearly deists.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 20:29
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Hello eaglecap

Actually, the concept of total secularization was acceptable from day one of the republic. The treaties specifically said the US did not support any belief system not that it did not have an established religion. Morality legistlation was not attempted based on religion, it was basically based on people's conceptions. Religious sectsand socialcults that appeared in the early period of the US history, like the , mormons did not face trouble from the government becauseof their religion. Polygemy was allowed in the Utah territories but when statehood was in question, back in the 1890s at the start of protestant fundamementalismthat succeeded later in legislating religious (prohibition) on the rest of the US, mormons had to abandon the practice because states that had fundamentalist majorities refused to endorse the union untill they abanodon it completely from their belief system not just like muslims who can theoritically marry more than one woman but by law they couldn't. The entire mormon religion had to be changed because it did not suit fundamentalist but earlier in the 1850s when the territory was created that was not seen as a problem.

If you also return to thefirst cases that tested the 1st amendment, you will find that most of these cases were between fundamentalist influenced government officials or government entities and Jehova's witnesses. mormon practices (though they were far more extreme than the witnesses)were not even challanged back in the early days of the republic but the hostility that faced the witnesses was huge. Amish also suffered from these fundamentalists but I don't know about Orthodox sects. All these testify that the notion of a completely secular US was the norm, it was only later that people started to have problems.

Al-Jassas

It is true what you say and impressive you know so much about the Mormons. I best avoid the Mormon topic since the focus is on presidential election. It would be a good thread though, wonder what happened to all the Mormons that use to be on here?

My point was there has always been Christian influences but I really do not worry about our nation being turned into a theocracy via a Christian candidate. I do fear the executive orders both Clinton and Bush have signed into law that are contrary to our constitution. I am still reading up about the candidates so I can choose which one is best for my country.

I also fear Hillary Clinton because I believe she would pass things like the hate speech law which Kennedy has endorsed and is an attack upon the 1st Amendment.
Also, the so called fairness doctrine which would destroy conservative talk radio by forcing them to have two people representing both liberal and conservative views. I know she is not fond of our second Amendment either. She would probably also sign into law other bills which I would oppose that support certain groups whose moral choices I do not agree with and want to shove it down the throats of the majority.
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 21:05

Well let us not forget that the fairness doctrine was introduced, like many other things, by conservatives back when the liberal media had prominance nationwide. 

Anyway, returning to the candidates. I think Ron Paul will be a disaster. Like it or not, the US has lots of international obligations and no matter how good the intentions look, libertarian isolationists are as dangerous to the world as neo-cons or even worse. At least the neo-cons have the capacity to interfer when necessary but people like Ron Paul will intervene only in injury time when interference is too late. If the US did not get into its long Isolation in the period between the two WW who knows, maybe WWII might have never happened. The US was a guaretor of peace on the continent and was the power broker in the world. When congress failed to ratify Versailles the world was certain to be doomed for another WW. Same thing will happen with Ron Paul's foreign policy.

Rudy is the sleaziest politician in recent memory. he practically changed his entire political skin just to go along the predominant color of his party. he doesn't even deserve to be in the race yet the sudden loss of stability that hit the republicans after 2006 made them run to him because he is centrist. I will not be surprised if he became a southern baptist just to win. His political compass is lost.

My choice will be Mitt Romney if I were an American voter. A stable honest man his positions have been consistant throughout his political career and despite being a conservative, he ruled the most liberal state in America for a long time and he is still quite popular there. I will talk later about the dems.

Al-Jassas
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 23:40

A fundi that raised taxes and freed a rapist. Hmmm.

Hugo that is a low blow, just because he showed compassion and mercy and the man didn't take advantage of it to better his life, doesn't mean that he shouldn't have done it. He could have used better judgement but hindsight is 20/20. I just don't think it's fair to base a person's actions on something another person does.

BTW Huckabee would still make a terrible President. He doesn't seem like a terrible person though *cough* Hillary *cough*.

He was also the primary suspect in the rape and murder of another woman. He died in prison in 2005.

Wait a second what?!? Way off topic but how does a castrated man rape anybody? I thought neutering was supposed to eliminate aggressive sex drives?

Anyway I applaud people that commute prisoners sentences as I believe we keep people in prison far longer than is necessary as the prison system only accomplishes one thing it is supposed to do. But again off topic.

It did not take into full account the entire quote however, which I believe is an attempt to put him in an even worse light.

And thus we learn that misquoting is a terrible thing. Personally I think intentional misquoting should be illegal, .

were not even challanged back in the early days of the republic

Mormons and Jehovah's Witnesses didn't exist in the early days of the republic. Mormonism spread around the 1850's and Witnesses spread around the 1900's.

Well let us not forget that the fairness doctrine was introduced, like many other things, by conservatives back when the liberal media had prominance nationwide.

It's a stupid idea anyway, because it assumes their can exist only two different viewpoints on any topic.

Anyway, returning to the candidates. I think Ron Paul will be a disaster. Like it or not, the US has lots of international obligations and no matter how good the intentions look, libertarian isolationists are as dangerous to the world as neo-cons or even worse.

Worse, since libertarians are individualists and social darwinists.

Rudy is the sleaziest politician in recent memory.

*cough* Hillary *cough*
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Dec-2007 at 23:43
Romeny sounds similar to Rudy. He changes his stances, he does not provide a sound campaign stand either. From what I have seen from him he is very unsure. He renounces former beliefs and policies.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 03:48
Janus,

Huckabee freed the rapist not out of mercy, but because it had become a cause among some fringe conservatives. The rapist had raped a distance relative of Clinton.

So it was a twisted political vendetta, not mercy. This just show very, very bad judgment.

And even if he wasn't doing it as a political vendetta, why did he let go a dangerous rapist when the victims made it very clear that he was still dangerous?

And now he is not even taking responsibility for his actions. He is blaming, what else when you are a Republican? Bill Clinton!!??

Wow, he is also showing that he is big into "Personal Responsibility"
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 01:24

Huckabee freed the rapist not out of mercy, but because it had become a cause among some fringe conservatives. The rapist had raped a distance relative of Clinton.

Can you prove that accusation that the conservatives let the rapist go because "He gave them Clintons what those dirty liberal scum deserve"? Otherwise it sounds as horrible as the made up quote I just gave, and is useless in actually determining the reasons for doing so.

And even if he wasn't doing it as a political vendetta, why did he let go a dangerous rapist when the victims made it very clear that he was still dangerous?

Many relatives of victims don't ever want to see the criminal free because they either don't want to face the fact that the person responsible for the crime is free (petty in my opinion) or because they believe that he hasn't gotten what he deserves (which isn't up to them to decide).

Huckabee should have taken their council into account, as he probably did. The fact of the matter is though, while in prison the man had a spotless record and demonstrated that he could be rehabilitated. Was he? No. But if Huckabee and any other Governer never took a chance like that, then we might as well just execute every person that goes through the prison system because obviously if the victims families are unwilling to forgive they shouldn't have a chance to redeem themselves.

Again what the rapists did after he was set free is irrelevant since Huckabee does not have the power to see into the future.

And now he is not even taking responsibility for his actions. He is blaming, what else when you are a Republican? Bill Clinton!!??

Huh? Explain please? Where/When did he do this?
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 14:20
Hi, Janus,

Sometimes you make me work a lot :)

Another account on why Huckabee pressure the parole board: Dumond, the rapist, claimed to have been a "born-again"
Parole Officials say that they were pressured by Huckabee to free Rapist

Huckabee dodging responsibility by claiming that the parole board was appointed by Clinton, ergo, Clinton's fault:
Huckabee: Blame Bill Clinton Story

Give me more time to find the conservative cause for the rapist :)

Edited by hugoestr - 10-Dec-2007 at 22:17
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 15:23

Clemency Happy Huckabee, if you knew him or were famous

"Prosecutors say Huckabee was more inclined to release or reduce the sentences of prisoners if he had direct contact with them or was lobbied by those close to him.

Some inmates who benefited from some sort of personal connection:

-James Maxwell, who killed a pastor of the Church of God in Arkansas. Maxwell worked at the Governor's Mansion when Huckabee announced his intent to reduce his prison sentence.

-Samuel W. Taylor, convicted on a drug charge. A prosecutor said the man had told him Taylor's sister had gone to school with Huckabee. Huckabee said the sister didn't influence the decision. Taylor subsequently was arrested on another drug charge.

-Donald W. Clark, convicted of theft. Huckabee's pastor recommended leniency for Clark, whose stepmother worked on Huckabee's gubernatorial staff.

-Robert A. Arnold Jr., who was convicted of killing his father-in-law. Arnold's father, a former mayor of Hope, Huckabee's hometown, said he was a casual friend of the governor.

-A pastor who promoted Huckabee among blacks urged the governor to grant clemency to John Henry Claiborne, who was sentenced to 100 years for a 1994 armed robbery, according to a 2004 report in the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette. Huckabee made Claiborne eligible for parole after receiving a letter from the Rev. Charles Williams, who told the newspaper he had helped win "many, many" clemencies from Huckabee."
"

Edited by hugoestr - 10-Dec-2007 at 22:19
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 17:15

Hi, Janus,

Huckabee dodging responsibility by claiming that the parole board was appointed by Clinton, ergo, Clinton's fault:
Huckabee: Blame Bill Clinton Story

Give me more time to find the conservative cause for the rapist :)

I am having a hard time belieiving that feed because the anchor showed only clips of Huckabee saying Bill Clinton's name. The anchor did not show the part of the feed of the question asked, nor more of Huckabee's answers after saying Clinton's name. Unless you show an article or an interview that explicitly shows Huckabee blaming Clinton I have to look at this as just a potshot against the presidential hopeful.

P.S: Also I tried getting into the other link of your 1st and 2nd post Hugo and both said the page was not found.

Edited by Ponce de Leon - 10-Dec-2007 at 17:19
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Dec-2007 at 22:26
There seems to be some problems with the links.

This is the link for the second story. Copy and paste it:

http://www.kansascity.com/445/story/397089.html

I will have to find the other one again :)
Caliph
Caliph
Lonce De Peon

Quote Ponce de Leon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Dec-2007 at 01:56
Despite the attacks on Huckabee by Romney, Huck is doing fantastic not only in Iowa but on the national level as well. Go Huckabee all the way!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123