Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

What do we have today because of Julius Caesar?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
crazco View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote crazco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What do we have today because of Julius Caesar?
    Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 00:20
Help me please! I am undergoing serious difficulties trying to find the answer an the assignment is well, due tomorrow :eek:
crazco View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote crazco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 01:13
Anyone? Cry
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 01:16
The calendar. Without Julius Cesar you wouldn't have July... He was also the creator of the Julian Calendar, I believe.

Julius Cesar was also the conqueror of the Galias, so without him most of Northern Europe wouldn't be "Western" today.
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 22:46
Caesar cipher is very useful sometimes...

Join us.
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 23:34
Brutus!
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 15:37
French?  Without his conquest of Gaul would we have that particular 'decadent' form of Latin being spoken in that region of Europe that eventually came to be France?  
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 16:12

Originally posted by deadkenny

French? Without his conquest of Gaul would we have that particular 'decadent' form of Latin being spoken in that region of Europe that eventually came to be France?

I would have prefered a Gaelic-speaking Gaul anaday. I blame Caesar.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 17:27
Also the Roman scouting mission into Britain - if it wasn't for Caesar, it's highly likely that Claudius wouldn't have had the mass of information neccesary to consider invading and practically invade Britain. There is also the end of the Roman republic, although this does go into some very contraversial areas (Professor Syme et al), Julius Caesar was, whatever your historical position, one of the key figures in the downfall of the Roman republic.

There is also his reformations in his legions in Gaul (I'm not quite sure about the details of them...) which were implemented into later Roman military forces.

There is also Ptolemaic Egypt - he solved the dispute between Ptolemy XIV and Cleopatra VII, helping implement Egypt into the Roman empire.
crazco View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote crazco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 21:35
^ that really helped, thanks a lot !
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 23:29

The titles Kaiser and Tsar.

Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Dec-2007 at 00:58
Caesar Salad. 
st darwin View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote st darwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 20:00
I'm no expert but i do recall Mussolini being heavily influenced by ancient Roman culture and customs (particularly Ceasar) so maybe there is another angle to explore?
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Dec-2007 at 01:41
Originally posted by st darwin

I'm no expert but i do recall Mussolini being heavily influenced by ancient Roman culture and customs (particularly Ceasar) so maybe there is another angle to explore?

I guess, but he could have picked any Italian hero for his inspiration.

Join us.
Dawn View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Dawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 02:45
Originally posted by Brian J Checco

Caesar Salad. 

nothing to do with it but the name.
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Dec-2007 at 00:49
Originally posted by st darwin

I guess, but he could have picked any Italian hero for his inspiration.

Not just Mussolini - THE WHOLE OF EUROPE FOR CENTURIES! I'm not a 19th century historian, so I don't like to think of single figures as the movers and shakers of empires, but it was this brilliant general who conquered Gaul and ultimatley gave the empire a new system of government that had enough stablity to surivive the problems of the republic and create a long-lasting empire that still has an impact on our culture today.
 Post Reply Post Reply