Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

2 Antiochs

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Online Status: Offline
  Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2 Antiochs
    Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 21:03
in new testament times, there are 2 cities named Antioch, one in the asin minor, and one in syria.

my question is, which one is older, and how did the second one get its name?
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 21:10
Eh, The Antioch is in modern day Turkey (Hatay), but was once the capital of an Empire based in Syria. Founded in 4th century BC by one of the Seleucid guys.
If you look at an atlas, you'll see that its in a part of Turkey that sort of reaches along the coast into Syria somewhat.

This is the same Antioch of crusader(in)fame.
Arrrgh!!"
white dragon View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote white dragon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 22:27
i have read about one in where is about central turkey and the crusader one

Edited by white dragon
Pray as if everything depended upon God and work as if everything depended upon man.
-Francis Cardinal Spellman
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 23:10

in new testament times, there are 2 cities named Antioch, one in the asin minor, and one in syria.

my question is, which one is older, and how did the second one get its name?

The one in Syria is older.  It was founded by Seleucus I (300 BC) and named for his father, Antiochus.  The one in Asia Minor "Pisidian Antioch" (actually it was in Phrygia, close to Pisidia, but so-named because there was actually another Antioch in Phrygia), was obviously founded later, for the fact that those regions in Asia Minor where these Antiochs were founded didn't come into the possession of the Seleucids until 286 BC, when Demetrius I, the ruler of those regions, surrendered to Seleucus I.

Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 01:27
Originally posted by Sharrukin

The one in Syria is older.  It was founded by Seleucus I (300 BC) and named for his father, Antiochus. 

Antioch is in Turkey not in Syria.

Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 10:25
I'm talking about ancient Syria.  According to Xenophon, Issus and the Cilician Gates defined Cilicia from Syria, and according to the geographer Ptolemy, it was the Amanus Mts. which defined the northern limit of ancient Syria.  Ptolemy located Antioch in the Syrian district of Casiotis.
Artaxiad View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Artaxiad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 10:49
I think Syria has claims there, and in Iskenderun. Is it true that years ago, Syria and Turkey were almost going to fight a war for that region?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 10:54
Antioch is "Antakya" in Turkey, and it is the most southern city of Turkey. I love the food there, that is a mixture of Arabic, middle eastern and Turkish ones...
Alparslan View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Alparslan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 11:44

Originally posted by Artaxiad

I think Syria has claims there, and in Iskenderun. Is it true that years ago, Syria and Turkey were almost going to fight a war for that region?

No. Turkish army has moved to Syrian border and Turkey gave Syria a limited time period (one week or two) to give up support to PKK terrorist organization and kick our their leader Ocalan from Damascus. The reason was this.

Syria kicked him out and gradually our relations with them became normal. Now we do not have problems with Syria.

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 12:06
Antakya i've heard of, but my atlas calles the town Hatey, whats that, another name for the same town?
Arrrgh!!"
Sharrukin View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Sharrukin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 21:50
Its the name of the same town as well as the district around it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2005 at 10:30

No. Hatay is the name of the "il", but "Antakya" is the name of the capital city of this "il".

Also today, Syria and Turkey have a dangerous "water problem" for the water of Euphrates.

Post Reply Post Reply