Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Great World History Movies Needed

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Great World History Movies Needed
    Posted: 04-Dec-2007 at 21:30
first of all, the Samurais were divided bewteen thsoe supporting the Emperor and thsoe supporting the Shogun, thats the Boshin war. at all times they were a high social class living in cities or in castles in rural areas and peasants did the work. samurais were clerks. after the Boshin War the emperor descided to get ridd of those Samurai loyal to him, which is called the Satsuma rebellion. both events are akwardly mixed up in the movie. either way, samurais didn't lived in such small villages. just because they were defeated on a mountain hill doesn't mean they actually lived there like some wild tribe. also, the Japanese army was first modernized by the French, not the Americans. the connection between native Americans and Samruai was the most artificial ever. Samruai as a social class were more akin to the (lower) european aristocracy, like Prussian Junkers for example, than anything. definately not some "hippies livign in the woods" as portrayed in the movie. the romantic image of the Samurai is very exaggerated to say the least.
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Dec-2007 at 12:44
Originally posted by Justinian

^^ "I, Claudius" is an excellent program.  I cannot, of the top of my head,  think of another program that does such a good job of showing the interworking of the Imperial family.  (I do not have HBO, so I have not seen this Rome series that seems to be considered quite good) 

I'll try and write up a list of good historical films later.

I, Claudius was the BEST!!! I slept through the whole series in year 10 LOL
DesertHistorian View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote DesertHistorian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 04:25
Tora, Tora, Tora and the second in the series Midway.  Both are actually what would be called docu-dramas and are very accurate historically, at least for when they were made in the mid 1960's.  Some additional information has surfaced mainly concerning how the battleship Arizona was actually destroyed, but other than that, the movies provide a perspective rarely seen in American movies, that being both the Japanese side of the battles as well as the American side.

Also, James Jones' From Here to Eternity and the original "The Thin Red Line" not that horrible remake with Sean Penn.  These were movies based on novels, but the novels were based on the real WWII experiences of James Jones in the Pacific.

Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford is supposed to be a pretty accurate story of the legendary mountain man.

September Dawn is a pretty accurate film about the Mountain Meadows Massacre in 1857.  Strangely enough it started on September 11th and was the worse massacre in American history up until recently.  The film was extremely controversial due to it's subject matter, but it is an accurate portrayal of what happened, and why it happened.

Gettysburg is another very good movie, and so was Gods and Generals, both about the American Civil War.

Black Hawk Down and We Were Soldiers are good too.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Dec-2007 at 06:05

Some of my favorites would be, though i'll be leaving many other's out. Just  a few i can think of off hand:

"Das boot" Preferably in  German, with english sub-titles.

"Zulu" Yes the one with Michael Caine. 

The entirely fictional "The Caine Mutiny"

"Tora! Tora! Tora!"

"Patton" I think George C. Scott captured what Patton was all about.

"Full Metal Jacket" Heh... R. Lee Ermey cracks me up. Though how safe is that really for school kids!

I was also rather surprised with Brad Pitt's "Troy"! I thought it was actually pretty good! Shocked

And so many other's i am regrettably leaving out.
Cezar View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Cezar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Dec-2007 at 15:04

Here are some Romanian titles:"Dacii" - The Dacians, "Columna" - The Column, "Mihai Viteazul" - Michael the Brave, "Vlad Tepes" - you must know what this is about, "Buzduganul cu trei peceti" - The Three Seals Mace, "Razboiul independentei" - The Independence War, "Noi, cei din linia intii"- We, from the firts line.

A lot of historical movies have been made here, most regarding our history. Some are quite accurate. I reccomend a search on this site: www.imdb.com, using the Romanian spelling. You will find comments and link to other titles.

Here is the top10 from that site:
1. Schindler's List
2. Paths of Glory
3. Der Untergang
4. La Battaglia di Algeri
5. Hotel Rwanda
6. Judgment at Nuremberg
7. Ivan Groznyy II: Boyarsky zagovor
8. Z (NOT The Longest Day!)
9. Talvisota
10. Ben Hur: A tale of the Christ

Edited by Cezar - 20-Dec-2007 at 15:19
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 11:50
Charlie Wilson's War was great. It was amazing if its all true. Go watch it or burn it or something. Either way its a great movie.

Edited by Mughaal - 28-Dec-2007 at 11:51
Mughal e Azam
nova roma View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote nova roma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Jan-2008 at 23:54
Originally posted by Maharbbal

Hi, what a great idea! There ain't anything better to get world history in kids' head then movies. You have certainly the most extensive list on imdb.com

The following list are only foreign movies (I guess for American ones you can handle yourself):
Italy
1900 by Bertolucci (the story of two brothers over most of 20th century Italy, Italians love these years sweeping film see also the very successful made for TV The best of Youth about the generation that was 20 in 1968, and We all loved each other so much about post war Italy and the economic miracle)
A Spedial day by Ettore Scola (about a gay man a woman in Mussolini's Italy)
Hands over the city by Francesco Rosi (very reenactment-ish, very realistic, of the same see Lucky Luciano about post-WWII mafia and Salvatore Giuliano about post-war Sicily)
The Leopard by Lucchino Visconti (about the twilling of the ancient world by the Italian unification, because "everything has to change for everything to remain the same", same director Senso, Death in Venice, The Damned)
Rome open city by Rosselini (along with Paesa it is the most realistic of all neo-realistic movies, see also The bicycle thief)
The Profession of arms by Olmi (a brilliant account of the life of a Renaissance fighter)
The UK
Sea of sand (very realistic, about the war in the desert)
Bloody Sunday (about N. Ireland, see of the same director about the same subject: Omagh)
Culloden by Peter Watkins (originally set for the BBC but soon became a classic, a "reportage" on the battlefield of Culloden where the last anglo-scot conflict ended, with interviews of the soldiers and of the generals, amazing!, of the same see The Bomb aka the war game, about the consequences of an atomic bombing of the UK and the visually perfect account of the life of the greatest norwegian painter, Edvard Munch, it's 3 hours long though)
The Draughtman's contract by Greenaway (a enthousiasming depiction of the 18th cent English aristocracy's lifestyle)
Elephant by Alan Clarke (a shockingly realistic account of the civil war in N. Ireland in the 1980's)
You also have the great TV serie called the Blackadder (the second season is set in the Elizabethan age along with Elizabeth which just had a sequel, Shakespear in Love,)
France
The Grand illusion by Jean Renoir (a cheerful and sound account of the social consequences of WWI set in a POW camp, of the same see La Marseillaise about the French Revolution)
The Army of Shadows by JP Melville (my favorite movie, an anti-epic account of the resistance)
The Safe conduct by Tavernier (the film about WWII France is barely OK but the director shot several others much more successful such as Captain Conan about WWI, Let Joy Reign Suprem about 18th c French aristocracy the very rich one as well as the very poor one)
Queen Margot (a very entertaining account of the Religion wars in 16th  France)
317th platoon by Schoendorffer (a patrol lost in the jungle and attacked by the Vietminh, but this time the soldiers are French)
The return of Martin Guerre (about the life in a small medieval French village, also with Grard Depardieu: Cyrano about a 17th c soldier and novelist, Germinal about 19th c social struggle in the mines, The Last Metro about the German occupation of Paris)
The 18th c has inspired several film but they are rarely good: Marie Antoinette, Dangerous Liaison, Valmont, Beaumarchais, Ridicule
Germany
Lili Marleen by Fassbinder (set during WWII, see also from the same director about the same period and its consequences Veronica Voss, The mariage of Maria Brown, The Four Seasons Merchant and about other subjects: the third generation about the terrorist wave of the 1970s)
The Fall by Oliver Hirschbiegel (about the last days of Hitler, an excellent reenactment)
Portugal
No or the vain glory of command by Olivera (a rather slow but quite brilliant overview of Portuguese history from the Roman conquest to the decolonisation war fought in Angola, of the same see Val Abraham about 19th cent bourgeoisie and The Fifth Empire about a madman who happened to be the King of Portugal, be careful the latter is not to be shown in class it is waaaaay too long)
Captains of April (about the 1974 coup against the dictatorship)
Spain
Land and freedom by Ken Loach (about the Spanish civil war, of the same the wind that shakes the barley about the Irish struggle for independence).
El Lobo (a thriller about ETA super grass)
The Netherlands

Soldier of Orange by Verhoeven (a good account of Dutch resistance, of the same on the same subject see also The Black Book and on the social condition of 19th cent. Amsterdam Katty Tippel, actually my favorite of the three)
Russia
Alexandre Nievski by Eisenstein (an epic account of the life of the medieval Russian leader's struggle against the Germans, of the same see the reenactment of the soviet historiography with October, Battleship Potemkine and the Strike)
Andrey Rubliev by Tarkosvski (about the Russian master icon-painter in the 15th century, of the same see Ivan's Youth about the rear during WWII, on the same subject see the Cranes were flying, the soldier's star and the Ballad of a soldier)
The Russian Ark (an amazing journey through Russian history without leaving the Hermitage)
Austria
The Third Man by Carol Reed (English movie about post-war Vienna, an absolute classic, see also Billy Wilder's view on post-war Berlin with the brilliant Foreign Affair, see also Howard Hawk's I was a male war bride).
China
Several films give a very bad idea of what was Chinese history (Hero, the House of Flying daggers are as bad as Once upon a time ih the West would be to represent US 19th century). I've never seen Farewell my concubine but I assume it is better than those.
The Demons on my doorstep (a brilliant and touching account of the life in a small village during the Japanese occupation, which unfortunately ends with 30 minutes of intense maoist propaganda)
Japan
Goyokin by Hideo Gosha, Harakiri by Kobayashi and Taboo by Oshima all give refreshingly new image of the samurai world.
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence and The Bridge of the River Kwai relate the dramatic conditions in the Japanese POW camps during WWII.
Korea
Brotherhood (about the Korean War)
The President's last bang (about the end of the dictatorship)
Algeria
The Battle of Algier by Pontecorvo (wonderful account of the 1957 struggle between Algierian nationalists and French paratroopers for the heart and mind of a people, the same also shoot a film about the concentration camps titled kapo and another about the slaves' struggle for liberty in the West Indies)
Brazil
Aguierre the wrath of God by W Herzog about the conquistadores (about the same subject see also the Mission)
Israel
Kippour by Amos Gitai (about the 1973 war, Gitai also shot Kedma about the creation of Israel and Kaddosh about the life of orthodox Jews in the 1980s in Jerusalem)

And a few US ones:
Sergeant York
The Path of Glory by Kubrik (of the same see Barry Lyndon, Dr Strangelove, Spartacus and Full metal Jacket

much props on this list, plenty of fine movies here.

however, i gotta point out that Elephant is just a half hour of people getting murdered. As much as I appreciate it, I don't see what anyone can learn from this film.
Sublime Porte View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Quote Sublime Porte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jun-2008 at 22:32
How about that one:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123