Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedRosetta Stone-Decoding the Demotic Text

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 38>
Author
Petro Invictus View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Online Status: Offline
Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rosetta Stone-Decoding the Demotic Text
    Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 02:48
You know, now I will talk MYTHS!

Have you noticed that the time is passing really fast? Tic-tac...faster and faster! I am not kidding! There is an apparent acceleration going on! They call it dimensional shift in some alien movies.

We are undergoing such a consciousness drift to a poin when this dimensional shift will become tangible to our perceptions, and we could easily enter the new state of existence.

Amazingly, as we drift to the point of compulsion, driven by ancient as well as modern claims, we forget that we need to see the whole picture and enjoy life for a while. After all that is what Christmas is all about.

Truths will come out! Sooner or later people will start remembering their pasts. It is called the Insight of the Extended Past in the Celestine Prophecy.

The Celestine Prophecy is a story that impells us to observe our culture within its proper historical context. The first half of the past millennium was spent under the thumb of the church; in the second half we became preoccupied with material comfort. Now, at the end of the twentieth century, we've exhausted that preoccupation. We're ready to discover life's ultimate purpose.

"Second Insight: Historical perspective. This point in human history can best be understood by a revisioning of the past millennium. In the early part of the millennium, human consciousness was dominated by beliefs promulgated by the Catholic Church: one's proper place in society, humanity at the center of the universe, and the battle between good and evil. These beliefs gave meaning to life. This domination was challenged during the Renaissance and Reformation. At that time, humanity established a grand project of exploring the world, using the tools of science, with the hope of getting a new answer to the meaning of life. While waiting for that answer to come in, attention turned to increasing material comfort. That project is now at an end--material comfort has been achieved, but we have lost touch with sources of meaning. Moreover, the answers we wanted are now appearing--not necessarily from institutional science, but from a variety of sources."

If we compare our side of the story we turn out to have a pretty much similar things to say. Yet one difference poses as striking! While the western world is enjoying the comforts of materialism, and not rushung about discovering life's ultimate purpose, the "eastern" world performs mirracles.

Life's ultimate purpose is behold, suddenly, upon you. You just have to remove the vail.

Our eastern story has a bit of everything and we still haven't managed to gain such liberty in materialism as the westerners, even though some have. However, the spiritualism has prevailed as a mainstream consciousness over the materialism, despite the various systems that shaped the east.

The whole story, all of this epic chaterring about who's what, and where and when, and who's who's etc. is purely because we do not remember.

The memory of our past is first of all a spiritual journey!

I have looked both from inside and outside and to me it seems that Macedonia gives me the spiritual corridor I need to grow further into light. It has a Sun culture mentality, based on a strong feminine consiousness! The Sun culture has to do with everything, no matter how consious or unconsious we are about it! The Magna Mater cult that has survived today in the Bogorodica (Mother of God) cult in Macedonia, gives me the flame that I need to create the myth and here it goes! Ready to be told!

I have felt the second insight! And I have a memory of my past, as well as my people! I encourage everyone to search for that door in their consciousness and explore their own pasts, or those of their people! That is the only way we dismantle this knot of intermingled histories, and interactions that have created such a mess in the surch for the Truth!

We are here facing this speeding up process of the Earth's transformation into something much better, it would be a shame if we would all stay within our own frame of minds and stick to the irrelevant crumbs of history that has survived Time. The true history is within us, there is a secret book inside everyone's heart and when you find it you'll know what to do!

When I took a ride down the corridor called Macedonia, mirracles occured, unseen, unspoken of, unrecorded. Ancient secrets revealed, not from books but from rocks, and mountains, and lakes and forests, and rivers and the clouds on the blue sky.

I then started searching for evidence, and I found many! You know guys, there is a much better story than this ancient Slavo-Macedonian in store! But I am not gonna tell it to you yet! Not now for sure!

You will slowly slide into it! When the time comes, and the time runs faster and faster...

...BRINGER OF THE DAWN...
chicagogeorge View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Dec-2007 at 04:38
^^

Merry Christmas Petro.
Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 00:40
Merry Christmas Chicagogeorge...

Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 11:32
Even the author speaks only of the culture in Pella and yes, Macedonians were less cutlured than Athenians. This proves nothing.

It proves that you have such a wrong opinion of what is cultural.

However, it's SPIRITUALITY the attribute you should be discussing when tackling with the Macedonians in general. Since it is spirituality and not material culture it is not often easy to determine the true state of mind of the ancient Macedonians. But you can get a glimps of their spirituality if you experienced the spirituality of the modern day descendands of the ancient Macedonians. There is something deeply rooted that cannot be even spoken of. It is like a silent recognition of the truth in the eyes of the beholders. Macedonia is an unseen mirracle!

Welcome to it!

Edited by Petro Invictus - 27-Dec-2007 at 11:32

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 17:08
^^

Petro it's quite obvious how the ancient Macedonians felt (you fail to comment on my quotes for some reason Question, and I, as a modern day Macedonian (from my mother's side) feel deeply connected to them.

You can see how spiritual the Macedonians were,  and what religion they followed  from the following passages.....(you might want to look the other way yet again). Notice nothing mentioned of the so called "Great Mother" that your two "scientists" claim was mentioned in the Rosetta Stone....Wink

Quote:
....but there is an inscription at Dium in Macedonia, saying that he was killed by lightning, and it runs thus:

Here the bard buried by the Muses lies,
The Thracian Orpheus of the golden lyre;
Whom mighty Zeus, the Sovereign of the skies,
Removed from earth by his dread lightning's fire.
 Diogenes Laertius 1.8

Quote:
Concerning the professional companions Philetaerus says this in The Huntress: No wonder there is a shrine to the Companion everywhere, but nowhere in all Greece is there one to the Wife. But I know also of a festival, the Hetairideia, celebrated in Magnesia, not in honour of these companions (hetaerae) but for a different reason, which is mentioned by Hegesander in his Commentaries, writing thus: The Magnesians celebrate the festival of the Hetairideia. They record that Jason the son of Aeson, after gathering the Argonauts together, was the first to sacrifice to Zeus Hetaireios* and that he called the festival Hetairideia. And the kings of Macedonia also celebrate with sacrifices the Hetairideia.
Ath Deipn. Book XIII. 572 d e
Quote:
Having settled these affairs, he returned into Macedonia. He then offered to the Olympian Zeus the sacrifice which had been instituted by Archelaus, and had been customary up to that time;
(Arrian Anab. I 11.1)

Quote:
It is said he [Alexander] also held a public contest in honour of Muses
(Arrian Anab. I 11.2)

Quote:
when he was about the middle of the channel of the hellespont he sacrificed a bull to Poseidon and the Nereids and poured forth a libation to them into the sea from a golden goblet
(Arrian Anab. I 11)

Quote:
they say also that he was the first man to step out of the ship in full armour on the land of Asia, and that he erected altars to Zeus, the protector of people landing, to Athena and to Heracles
(Arrian Anab. I 11.6)

Quote:
Philip, after this vision, sent Chaeron of Megalopolis to consult the oracle of Apollo at Delphi, by which he was commanded to perform sacrifice, and henceforth pay particular honour, above all other gods, to Zeus;
(Plutarch, The life of Alexander)

Quote:
He [Alexander he Great] erected altars, also, to the gods, which the kings of the Praesians even in our time do honour to when they pass the river, and offer sacrifice upon them after the Greek manner.

Quote:
Along with lavish display of every sort, Philip included in the procession statues of the twelve Gods brought with great artistry and adorned with a dazzling show of wealth to strike awe to the beholder, and along with these was conducted a thirteenth statue, suitable for a god, that of Philip himself, so that the king exhibited himself enthroned among the twelve Gods.
(Diodorus Histories, Chapter 16, 95.2)

Quote:
He (King Philip) wanted as many Greeks as possible to take part in the festivities in honour of the gods, and so planned brilliant musical contests and lavish banquets for his friends and guests. Out of all Greece he summoned his personal guest-friends and ordered the members of his court to bring along as many as they could of their acquaintances from abroad.
(Diodorus Histories, Chapter 16, 91.5-6)

Quote:
The future prosperity [of the historical general] Seleukos was foreshadowed by unmistakable signs. When he was about to set forth from Makedonia with Alexandros [the Great], and was sacrificing at Pella [in Makedonia] to Zeus, the wood that lay on the altar advanced of its own accord to the image and caught fire without the application of a light.
Pausanias, Guide to Greece 1.16.1

Quote:
Delos would win the foremost guerdon from the Mousai, since she it was that bathed Apollon, the lord of minstrels, and swaddled him, and was the first to accept him for a god. Even as the Mousai abhor him who sings not of Pimpleia [town in Pieria/Macedonia sacred to the Mousai] so Phoibos abhors him who forgets Delos.
Callimachus, Hymn IV to Delos 3

Quote:
They say that afterwards [the establishment of a shrine to three Mousai on Mount Helikon in Boiotia] Pieros, a Makedonian, after whom the mountain in Makedonia was named, came to Thespiae and established nine Mousai, changing their names to the present ones
Pausanias, Guide to Greece 9.39.3

scsc

Quote:
Having settled these affairs, he returned into Macedonia. He then offered to the Olympian Zeus the sacrifice which had been instituted by Archelaus, and had been customary up to that time;
(Arrian Anab. I 11.1)

Quote:
It is said he [Alexander] also held a public contest in honour of Muses
(Arrian Anab. I 11.2)

Quote:
when he was about the middle of the channel of the hellespont he sacrificed a bull to Poseidon and the Nereids and poured forth a libation to them into the sea from a golden goblet
(Arrian Anab. I 11)

Quote:
they say also that he was the first man to step out of the ship in full armour on the land of Asia, and that he erected altars to Zeus, the protector of people landing, to Athena and to Heracles
(Arrian Anab. I 11.6)

Quote:
Philip, after this vision, sent Chaeron of Megalopolis to consult the oracle of Apollo at Delphi, by which he was commanded to perform sacrifice, and henceforth pay particular honour, above all other gods, to Zeus;

Quote:
He [Alexander he Great] erected altars, also, to the gods, which the kings of the Praesians even in our time do honour to when they pass the river, and offer sacrifice upon them after the Greek manner.

Quote:
Along with lavish display of every sort, Philip included in the procession statues of the twelve Gods brought with great artistry and adorned with a dazzling show of wealth to strike awe to the beholder, and along with these was conducted a thirteenth statue, suitable for a god, that of Philip himself, so that the king exhibited himself enthroned among the twelve Gods.
(Diodorus Histories, Chapter 16, 95.2)

Quote:
He (King Philip) wanted as many Greeks as possible to take part in the festivities in honour of the gods, and so planned brilliant musical contests and lavish banquets for his friends and guests. Out of all Greece he summoned his personal guest-friends and ordered the members of his court to bring along as many as they could of their acquaintances from abroad.
(Diodorus Histories, Chapter 16, 91.5-6)

Quote:
The future prosperity [of the historical general] Seleukos was foreshadowed by unmistakable signs. When he was about to set forth from Makedonia with Alexandros [the Great], and was sacrificing at Pella [in Makedonia] to Zeus, the wood that lay on the altar advanced of its own accord to the image and caught fire without the application of a light.
Pausanias, Guide to Greece 1.16.1

Quote:
Delos would win the foremost guerdon from the Mousai, since she it was that bathed Apollon, the lord of minstrels, and swaddled him, and was the first to accept him for a god. Even as the Mousai abhor him who sings not of Pimpleia [town in Pieria/Macedonia sacred to the Mousai] so Phoibos abhors him who forgets Delos.
Callimachus, Hymn IV to Delos 3

Quote:
They say that afterwards [the establishment of a shrine to three Mousai on Mount Helikon in Boiotia] Pieros, a Makedonian, after whom the mountain in Makedonia was named, came to Thespiae and established nine Mousai, changing their names to the present ones
Pausanias, Guide to Greece 9.39.3

Edited by chicagogeorge - 27-Dec-2007 at 18:26
Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Dec-2007 at 23:31
Here the bard buried by the Muses lies,
The Thracian Orpheus of the golden lyre;
Whom mighty Zeus, the Sovereign of the skies,
Removed from earth by his dread lightning's fire.

My personal opinion is that Zeus was a deity that the Greeks had imported from the Macedonians.

In the Macedonian culture it was known as DZE! The supreme deity!

The first inscription from the left is the name of Zeus in ancient Macedonian. Interestingly the word Dze has prevailed in our modern day Macedonian as a word for something visible, and is mostly used with children. When you hide from their view and then you show up to them you say: DZE!

DZEUS changed into ZEUS but it became DEUS in Latin and in combination with the other part of the title: "Pater", meaning "father", it became JUPITER (Deus Pater.

Moreover, Orpheus was the son of Calliope, who was a daughter of a Macedonian king, Pier! His name still means "singer" in Macedonian. Orfej in modern Macedonian, taken from Greek literature, could be also analyzed as ORPEJ having in mind the transformation of the fricative F into plosive P, they are complementary.

ORPEJ in Macedonian means "the one who sings". We use the verb PEJ even today, meaning to SING, imperative form.

The word POET now used in almost all languages comes from POE or PEE meaning SINGS, third person singular.

If you take a look at this image it will become clear to you what I am refering with this:

I think there is a misconception with the use of the term Greek here as well which is clearly a modern day notion. In reality PIER was a Macedonian King, let me remind you that the Greeks never had kings!

In order to be objective I will post the following facts, about the etymology of the term "POET":

"poet c.1300, from O.Fr. poete (12c.), from L. poeta "poet, author," from Gk. poetes "maker, author, poet," from poein "to make or compose," from PIE *kwoiwo- "making," from base *qwei- "to make" (cf. Skt. cinoti "heaping up, piling up," O.C.S. cinu "act, deed, order"). Replaced O.E. scop (which survives in scoff). Used in 14c., as in classical langs., for all sorts of writers or composers of works of literature."

However, when I looked up the word "author" in Greek I got the following:

N συγγραφέασ, πρωτουργόσ

To me it sounds as if the Greek langauge got the term POET from the Macedonians! It has such a deep an wide-ranged use in our langauge even today, and its etymological meaning is present in many forms.

Edited by Petro Invictus - 27-Dec-2007 at 23:59

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 05:11
First of all Zeus in Greek is Dias.........LOL Not even close to Dues or Deuce or what ever! Plus the Mycenaean Linear B tablets  (1400 B.C) call "Zeus" DI-U-JA....

Why don't you comment on each and every passage that I post. I know it would take a lot of creative journalism on your partWink
Originally posted by Petro Invictus

I think there is a misconception with the use of the term Greek here as well which is clearly a modern day notion. In reality PIER was a Macedonian King, let me remind you that the Greeks never had kings!

Clap Bravo Petro! LOL You've discovered the difference between Greeks and Macedonians!LOL

Maybe you've seen the recent movie on this guySmile

"The most valiant are sometimes the most unfortunate. Thus there are triumphant defeats that rival victories. Nor did those four sister victories, the fairest that the sun ever set eyes on - Salamis, Plataea, Mycale, and Sicily - ever dare match all their combined glory against the glory of the annihilation of King Leonidas and his men at the pass of Thermopylae."

- Michel de Montaigne (1533-1592)

"Of those who died at Thermopylai renowned is the fortune, noble the fate: Their grave's an altar, their memorial our mourning, their fate our praise. Such a shroud neither decay nor all-conquering destroy. This sepulcher of brave men has taken the high renown of Hellas for its fellow occupant, as witness Leonidas, Sparta's kingClap who left behind a great memorial of valor, everlasting renown."

'Diodorus Siculus, Books 11-12.37.1'

Btw, your own map shows Pierus as a GreekWink

As for Orpheus, he was the son of Calliope and either Oeagrus or Apollo. He was the greatest musician and poet of Greek myth, whose songs could charm wild beasts and coax even rocks and trees into movement. He was one of the Argonauts (Greeks) and when the Argo had to pass the island of the Sirens, it was Orpheus' music which prevented the crew from being lured to destruction.

Also, for the terminology here is where Orpheus, Calliope, and  Muse originates. An obviously Greek (as in Macedonia Wink) and Thracian.

I'm still waiting for your Ancient Slavic evidence PetroLOL

Edited by chicagogeorge - 28-Dec-2007 at 20:29
beorna View Drop Down
General
General

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 16:46

And then all of a sudden the South Slavic came to the Balkans, jumping over the Huns and the Avars, and not merging with ANY of them, but totally flooding the ancient population of the Balkans, erased every trace of them, which by the way were archeologically very active at that time, to become the new species on this part of the planet. There is something cheeky in this theory of yours.

I would rather:

The Slavs hade always been there, while the intrusion of the Avars, Huns, Goths, Visigoths, and the Germanic tribes, caused the Slavic world to split up in two and caused migrations north, west and south.

The South Slavs from beyond the Danube region, however, after being pushed south by the intrusion of the migrating tribes, were merging with the population of similar origin in the Balkans. The Rosetta stone Demotic text points at the fact that the ancient Macedonians were of similar linguistic group at least, with the newly arrived Slavic tribes, as well as those of the Western and Eastern group.

The Avars came 567 the Hungarian about 895 (I don't know the exact time not, now). Why should Slavs jump across them? Slavs came before them to the Balkans.

They pushed them northwards, southwards westwards? The tribes you mentioned came from the north. If the Slavs were pushed, why northwards where the invaders came from, why did they pushed them westwards. The Germanic nation moved westwards first, what was with the Slavs, why didn't they move infront of them? What a beautiful story. Romans expell Slavs to the North, Germans expell them to the South and so on and the Slavs? They stay Slavs allthough they are weaker than all the others. No change, nothing. Rubbish!
Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 17:44

The Slavic Languages - Page 20

by Roland Sussex, Paul Cubberley -- 2006

The National Question in Yugoslavia: Origins, History, Politics - Page 33

by Ivo Banac -page 33

The History of the Balkan Peninsula: From the Earliest Times to the Present Day - Page 71, and 72

by Ferdinand Schevill- 1922

Here is a Chronology of Slavic movements................

Now you just find me one non-bias source (and archaeological evidence) claiming what you believe Petro.Cool

Edited by chicagogeorge - 28-Dec-2007 at 19:24
Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 20:51
The Avars came 567 the Hungarian about 895 (I don't know the exact time not, now). Why should Slavs jump across them? Slavs came before them to the Balkans.

Way before them! I don't know why there are people who think that the Slavs came with or after them.

Though, some people here say that the Slavs were first recorded to have arrived at the Balkans in the early 6th century. If this is taken as a correct fact than they must have indeed jumped over the Huns and the Avars.

By the way I think your dates about the Hunic and Avaric migrations are a bit wrong!

Take a look at the date for the Hunic migrations!

As for the Avars: this is their late period. The Slavs were there before them! That is true! They have never migrated from behind the Carpathians, they were just forced to move south due to the Avaric and Hunic intrusion. Can't you see that! It is so obvious!

Since the mentioning of the first SKLAVENI was in the 6th century but it refered to "military allies" of Byzantium. Such were the Avars as well. So we cannot accept the term as an ethnic identification for the Slavic tribes. Since those that migrated south called themsleves with other names.

The oldest documents written in Old Church Slavonic and dating from the 9th century attest "slověne" to describe the Slavs around Thessalonica.

Edited by Petro Invictus - 28-Dec-2007 at 20:58

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Dec-2007 at 20:57
Back to the Rosetta, I think this is the twentieth book snippet that I posted that refutes in utter certainty the ludicrous theory of our two "scientists" from Skopje. Maybe someone should have told them that the Demotic script was already deciphered, before they went out to make fools of themselves.....

Decoding Egyptian Hieroglyphs: How to Read the Secret Language of the Pharaohs - Page 11,12

by Bridget McDermott - Social Science - 2001

Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 02:25
There are moments when we all feel exhausted of fighting the Good Battle, and we never stop to think that there might be also time of peace, in between.

After all, the way we interpret history today is just another point of view. Take a look at the historical movies from the 50's and those of today. What a difference in a viewpoint!

Time changes people's viewpoints. And as new discoveries emerge, we gain more knowledge and we learn more about the world and orselves, and become wise to apply that knowledge to the benefit of all, or at least we try to!

What use is the knowledge if it damages people?

It only benefits those who want to be in control! Those who do not want freedom to reach its highest point of manifestation and allow mirracles to happen, since that is HIStory, the homo-sapiens', the story of the creation of a conscious being!

And as such, we need to attain for the highest of all examples in HIStory to obtain the vision of Oneness within the world. IF we do not do that soon enough this world will start to boil! And I mean it, literally!

And it is not about international recognition we are having this debate, even though it may seem to many! It is merely that any scientific discovery should be allowed the objectivity of altering perspectives, or at least offering alternatives to present day theories of the global village story.

We all belong there, one way or the other, in written or oral tradition, we have all been descendants of our ancestors, and therefore present here!

The way we identify with those before us has to do with many things such us ethnic belonging, national belonging, regional background, cultural influences, assimilation policies, or just the freedom of being who you are and following your traits that can show you the true way, the one of the Holy Grail! There is something very significant in the words Sang Real and it rings an ancient bell in my ear.

I want History to take me to Mythstory, and see where it all began, this chattering through the ages that now threatens the existence of the whole planet!

Are we born conflicted with the world?!?

After all:

It doesn't matter which name you chose - it matters what you represent with it!

To me Macedonia is the land where the very soul of the Earth, springs up in torrents from the mountain peaks, and the steady sound of vastness of space lures you to a deep indulgence into your own Cosmos to discover the Truth!

The Truth is One for all!

To me Macedonia is the "bellybutton of the world" that connects me to Mother Earth!

Macedonian to me means: the Keeper of the Sun! It means Guardian of the Holy Grail of the Kingdom of Macedon, it means a fairy tale, that might one day come true.

To me Macedonia is an inspiration and an everlasting fountain of joy and happiness. I love Macedonia's wine. I love its food. I love to stay up late and watch the silver sky and see the peaks lurking from behind.

I am the Orpheus of my modern motherland and my name is Petro Invictus.

Yes I am a dreamer, but I am not the only one... (-John Lennon)

"And I have a dream that one day all the people will be equal..."(-Martin Luther King)

And: "...life is like a box of chocolates, you never know what you gonna get!" (-Forest Gump)

Who knows what tomorrow brings! One day we might look back at this day from a different perspective and forgive each other for everything.

I forgive you now!

Edited by Petro Invictus - 29-Dec-2007 at 15:19

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Dec-2007 at 15:37
^^

Your poetry is very nice Petro. Shows me that you are a good language teacher, your knowledge of history on the other hand..................

I mean this is time consuming as I must have downloaded 30 pages from various historical sources disproving the theory that you support.

Maybe you need to be shown that serous work has been done for at least 100 years on the ancient Macedonian dialect, and that this work based on real archealogical evidence cannot be refuted or overturned by the two engineers from the University of Skopje. Especially when they are supposedly deciphering a script that has already been deciphered!

A detailed account of metamorphosis of the Macedonian dialect of the Greek language as provided by this scholarly book from Cambridge University.WinkPublished in 2006.

Edited by chicagogeorge - 29-Dec-2007 at 21:55
Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 13:05
Maybe you need to be shown that serous work has been done for at least 100 years on the ancient Macedonian dialect, and that this work based on real archealogical evidence cannot be refuted or overturned by the two engineers from the University of Skopje. Especially when they are supposedly deciphering a script that has already been deciphered!

But you are wrong Chicagogeorge, the Demotic text from the Roestta stone has not been deciphered! It has been transliterated with the help of the Greek text, but no-one has produced a phonetic representation for the signs of the script. There have been attempts, but in the wrong direction.

The engineers are actually experts in decoding, programming languages, C++, stuff like that. You do not need a linguist to decode a text, you need a cryptographer!!! You need the linguist to produce the rules for a language and analytical study of it with other similar languages!

Do not worry! I am there to help the professors, working first hand with them!    As well as other students, volunteers, professors and many more coming! It is such a fascinating discovery that is attracting people from as far as Slovenia, Russia, Ukraine...!

The number is growing daily!!!

Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 13:08
By the way what you call Macedonian dialect is the dialect of the Attic or Doric that developed in Macedonia after the 4th century BC. Before this import period, and most probably after it too, the native language of the Macedonians has been as that of the Demotic text in the Rosetta stone!

The Greek used in Macedonia from the 4th century BC, or better say the 5th BC counting the Pella curse tablet, which can be found in a relativelly small number of texts, too small to call it a Macedonian dialect, is actually the Greek used or better say imported by the Macedonian nobility, as the language used for the elite!!!

So instead saying the Macedonian dialect, you can say the dialect of Doric used in Macedonia from 4-5th centuries BC onward!

The Macedonian native langauge was well attested as different from the Greek. After all they were mutually unintelligible! According to both ancient and modern sources!!!

"Macedonian and Greek were mutually unintelligible in the court of Alexander the Great"

- American Philological Institute

The use of Greek in Macedonia was like we use English today!

We used Russian 40 years ago! It was quite normal! But it is not our native langauge! You should know that well!

Edited by Petro Invictus - 30-Dec-2007 at 13:23

Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:15
Interesting notion about the soldiers in Alexander's army, you posted here Chicagogeorge:

It says that the Macedonian troops were able to express themselves in KOINE, which was the case only with a small number of them, since the rest were using interpreters if the Koine was used.

Evidence: The trial of Philotas, De Rebus Gestis Alexandri Macedones by Quintus Curtis Rufus

And then your source says that their own dialect was spoken only when emotionally aroused! WOW!!!

Who has done the interpretations? Some psychic?!?!

By the way which dialect of Macedonian are we talking about here? The one which was unintelligible to the Greeks or the Attic and Doric found scarcely on Macedonian territory after the 4th century BC?

A bit confusing!!!

If you are talking about the evolution of the Hellenic Attic and Doric into Koine then please make a difference between ethnic languages and those for international use, such as the Koine for example!!!

It is like talking about the International English we have to day in comparison to the Bristish English and American English. What we are using here is International English and will most probably change a lot in the future, since the immense use of it! The British and American will develop in a local manner and in a 100 years, say, it will be much different from the International English!!!

It is something that happened with the Koine!!!

It doesn't mean that my mother tongue is International English though! I merely use it for communication with other nations from the world.

My mother tongue is still Macedonian!!! Can't you see!

Edited by Petro Invictus - 30-Dec-2007 at 15:19

Shogun
Shogun

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:19

By the way what you call Macedonian dialect

No. It's not me Petro, it's about 100 historians of Macedonian study that call it a dialect.Wink

is the dialect of the Attic or Doric that developed in Macedonia after the 4th century BC. Before this import period, and most probably after it too, the native language of the Macedonians has been as that of the Demotic text in the Rosetta stone!

The Greek used in Macedonia from the 4th century BC, or better say the 5th BC counting the Pella curse tablet, which can be found in a relativelly small number of texts, too small to call it a Macedonian dialect, is actually the Greek used or better say imported by the Macedonian nobility, as the language used for the elite!!!

So instead saying the Macedonian dialect, you can say the dialect of Doric used in Macedonia from 4-5th centuries BC onward!

The Macedonian native langauge was well attested as different from the Greek. After all they were mutually unintelligible! According to both ancient and modern sources!!!

Prove it! I challenge you! Show me ancient and modern sources PLEASE!

"Macedonian and Greek were mutually unintelligible in the court of Alexander the Great"

- American Philological Institute

^^

Can you give me the book and page number of that source please......Wink
And Now..........The counter attack!BANG!-You-are-Dead

Quote:
For what it is worth, the evidence - sparse as it is - suggests that a form of Northwest Greek was spoken in Makedonia, but structural linguistic affiliation does not guarantee intelligibility and it is entirely possible that the Makedonian dialect was as difficult for other dialect speakers to comprehend as the speech of the Aitolian Eurytanes was unintelligible to Thoukydides (3-94.5).Tongue
[Jonathan Hall, Hellenicity, page 155]

You obviously have no clue on the dialectal differences of the Greek language now do youWink Even today, I have a lot of difficulty understanding a mountain Cretan, or a Cypriot, or a Pontian. Even my grandparents. On my father's side (both deceased), Kefallonian, and my mother's side Macedonian from Kozani.

Now think about the geographic isolation that separated various tribes in Greece. Mountains, valleys, islands....... This allowed ancient Hellenic tribes to develop dialects such as Doric, Aeolic, Ionian......

Hesiod who composed the Theogony in 750 b.c realized that all these tribe were interrelated without question, so well before any so called Hellenization as you believe occurred the Macedonians were considered part of the Hellenic family. Brothers of the Magnesians.

[QUOTE]
The use of Greek in Macedonia was like we use English today!

We used Russian 40 years ago! It was quite normal! But it is not our native langauge! You should know that well!

We are just reciting the same thing over and over again. WITHOUT YOU EVER ANSWERING ANY OF THE FOLLOWING POINTS!

First: Greek WAS NOT the lingua franca of the ancient world until the Macedonians spread it throughout their Empire. Funny that such a proud group would not want to leave even a single trace of their "native" tongueConfused Oh yea I forgot, they somehow were  able to convince all the ancient Greek historians and scribes not to record any of their language for several hundred years, yet when the Ptolemies were on the thrown in Egypt, they found a script that suited their language, and thus they wrote it down........ConfusedConfusedConfused

Will you just answer me these points? Or will you dodge them for the 100th time.

Is that why Macedonians have a GREEK word to describe their own identiy. Mak= Tall/High Dona= Land

Is that why the Macedonians were allowed to celebrate in Pan Hellenic festivals yet NO other non Greek people were allowed to do so? I mean there were plenty of Hellenized Thracians, Illyrians, Lydians and the likes......

Is this why ancient Macedonians worshiped Hellenic Gods, and used Greek words for their calendar which were DIFFERENT than Attic!

Is that why every single region/city that the Macedonians founded were called by a Greek term. Can you name me one  group of people that has ever done this? Russian Empire? No French? No Spanish? No British? No.....

Edited by chicagogeorge - 30-Dec-2007 at 15:21
Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:21
No. It's not me Petro, it's about 100 historians of Macedonian study that call it a dialect.

And they are not wrong!!! But the interpretations YOU do are wrong!!!

It was a DIALECT of Koine that was spoken in Macedonia!!!

The way we have a dialect of English spoken in India say!!! However, it is not their native langauge! Can't you see!!!

Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:36
Greek WAS NOT the lingua franca of the ancient world until the Macedonians spread it throughout their Empire. Funny that such a proud group would not want to leave even a single trace of their "native" tongue

You think so!!!

Greek was used in the ancient world by all the Romans, the Macedonians, Thracians and others:

"Attic Greek persisted until the 4th century BCE, when it is replaced by its similar but more universal offspring, Koine, or "the Common Dialect" (ἡ κοινὴ διάλεκτος). The cultural dominance of the Athenian Empire (WEIRD?) and the later adoption of Attic Greek by king Philip II of Macedon (382-336 BCE), father of the conqueror Alexander the Great, were the two keys that ensured the eventual victory of Attic over other Greek dialects and the spread of its descendant, koine Greek, throughout Alexander's Hellenic empire. The rise of koine is conventionally marked by the accession in 285 BCE of (Greek-speaking) Ptolemy II, who ruled from Alexandria, Egypt and launched the "Alexandrian period", when the city of Alexandria and its expatriate Greek-medium scholars flourished. [3]

In its day, the original range of the spoken Attic dialect included Attica, Euboea, some of the central Cyclades islands, and northern Aegean coastal areas of Thrace (i.e. Chalcidice or, in Greek, Χαλκιδική). The closely related dialect called "Ionian" was spoken along the western and northwestern coasts of Asia Minor (modern Turkey) on the east side of the Aegean Sea. Eventually, literary Attic (and the classic texts written in it) came to be widely studied far beyond its original homeland, first in the Classical civilizations of the Mediterranean (Ancient Rome and the Hellenistic world), and later in the Muslim world, Europe, and wherever European civilization spread to other parts of the world."

So the adoption of a language can only be done if the language is not native!!!

How can we adopt a langauge today if it is a native one!?! The Indians adopted English as and official language and a neautral one for administrative purposes. You cannot say that it was native to them!!!

Moreover, the misconceptions came much later:

"Following the Revolution of 1821 (for more information, see Greek War of Independence), Greece went through a period of artistic and cultural revival. Greeks today tend to regard the years before the Revolution, those of occupation of Greece by the Ottoman Empire, as the 'years of darkness', in which cultural development was perceived to have halted completely. Despite evidence to the contrary particularly in regard of earlier Cretan Greek literature, Greece's revival following the formation of the first Hellenic Republic in 1831 is regarded by a huge majority of Greeks as the earliest rebirth of their nation."

Where are you heading with this nationalism of 4000 years?

Edited by Petro Invictus - 30-Dec-2007 at 15:37

Colonel
Colonel
permanently banned

Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:44
Oh yea I forgot, they somehow were able to convince all the ancient Greek historians and scribes not to record any of their language for several hundred years, yet when the Ptolemies were on the thrown in Egypt, they found a script that suited their language, and thus they wrote it down........

That's not true!!! The Demotic was a civilizational script pretty much like the Greek alphabet, with an active use in Asia, north Africa and later in central and eastern Europe.

The Ptolemy rulers used it following the earlier custom introduced by previous rulers of Egypt, like the Persians!!!

Is that why Macedonians have a GREEK word to describe their own identiy. Mak= Tall/High Dona= Land

Is that why the Macedonians were allowed to celebrate in Pan Hellenic festivals yet NO other non Greek people were allowed to do so? I mean there were plenty of Hellenized Thracians, Illyrians, Lydians and the likes......

Is this why ancient Macedonians worshiped Hellenic Gods, and used Greek words for their calendar which were DIFFERENT than Attic!

Is that why every single region/city that the Macedonians founded were called by a Greek term. Can you name me one group of people that has ever done this? Russian Empire? No French? No Spanish? No British? No.....

I'd love to answer all of these questions, but I gotta go and have a haircut!!!

Can you wait a bit!

Let us focus on the questions before we move on to something else!

Can you please send me the source on the first issue! The meaning of the name Makedonia!

Edited by Petro Invictus - 30-Dec-2007 at 15:47

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3031323334 38>