Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Who really won the Space Race?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Poll Question: Who really won the Space race?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
21 [50.00%]
21 [50.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
communist View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote communist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Who really won the Space Race?
    Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 18:53
America was the first nation to the moon but the Soviets were the first to space who really was the winner?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 19:05
Obviously the U.S.. They reach the moon, first.
Yes, the Soviet Union has priority on the first man on space, the first woman and the first walk, besides many other first. However, the goal was to reach the moon. And that was achieved by the U.S.. The Soviet Union tried and failled, I am afraid. The N1 rocket

Strength%20Research%20Center%20TsNIIMash
Edwin%20N%20Cameron,%20former%20US%20Department%20of%20Defense%20Analyst/Instructor

Saturn V won the race. Below, Saturn V v/s N1

Edited by pinguin - 23-Nov-2007 at 19:09
communist View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote communist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 19:10
But why is called the space race if the deciding moment was when the U.S. landed on the moon.
communist View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote communist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 19:11
If it was the Moon race i could see u justifying that the U.S. won but it wasnt a race to the moon but a race to Space
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 19:15

Take the case of the shuttle Buran, then. The Americans also won:

Edited by pinguin - 23-Nov-2007 at 19:16
Akolouthos View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Akolouthos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 19:15
Where is the "tie"? In lieu of this option, I'll have to go with the U.S. I think that the Space Race was really won when the Russians and Americans realized they could cooperate with each other in achieving their objectives. Look at the International Space Station. Anyway, just my two cents.

-Akolouthos

Edited by Akolouthos - 23-Nov-2007 at 19:16
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 19:23
Well, Russians surpassed Americans in the earliest space stations...

Skylab:

Mir:

That's true, perhaps the space race hasn't finish yet... they are in a stand by situation.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 20:13
Russians were the first in Space period

The landing on the Moon etc. were just the consequences of the Soviet break through.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 23-Nov-2007 at 20:13
Σαυρομάτης
Paul View Drop Down
General
General
AE Immoderator

Quote Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 20:26
Depends whether you consider the space race a business enterprise or a scientific one. remember there are a 100 commercial space flights for every scientific one.

If the Space Race is a scientific one, the Americans won hands down. If it is an commercial one, Europe won hands downs.
Light blue touch paper and stand well back

http://www.maquahuitl.co.uk

http://www.toltecitztli.co.uk
Crystall View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Crystall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Nov-2007 at 21:52
Originally posted by communist

If it was the Moon race i could see u justifying that the U.S. won but it wasnt a race to the moon but a race to Space

Your just playing with words here.. obviously if you consider the first IN space then yes the Soviets won.. but that is not what the space race really was.

Constantine XI View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Constantine XI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 01:51
Space race is the name, not moon race, so the USSR deserves the honour very clearly. They beat the US in most endeavours except actually landing man on the moon.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Nov-2007 at 03:34
In terms of a 'race' or a 'competition', the Soviets got an early lead, then the US 'crushed' them - total slam dunk.

Kamikaze 738 View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Kamikaze 738 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 05:19
Yea, both nations had their share of glory during the period so I would say it is somewhat a tie...
Aster Thrax Eupator View Drop Down
Suspended
Suspended

Suspended

Quote Aster Thrax Eupator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 09:40

I don't think I was due to any lack of technical ability by the USSR (after all, they did send the first probe to space - Spuntik 3 and the first probe to the moon - Luna 9), but economic issues. They couldn't have won because the stresses that we all know racked their society just became too much. In the '80s with starwars, the USSR could probably have designed something just as good, but didn't have the money to make it.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 10:56
Originally posted by Aster Thrax Eupator

I don't think I was due to any lack of technical ability by the USSR (after all, they did send the first probe to space - Spuntik 3 and the first probe to the moon - Luna 9), but economic issues. They couldn't have won because the stresses that we all know racked their society just became too much. In the '80s with starwars, the USSR could probably have designed something just as good, but didn't have the money to make it.

In the case of the space shuttle Buran, I agree with you that the failure was lack of resources. In fact, the shuttle flew once to space, although flown by wire, so it is obvious it worked.

However, the case of N1 and the soviet project to reach the moon is different. In there, there was major engineering problems and not lack of resources. The Americas achieved with the Saturn V something the Soviets only dream.

Why Soviets fail? Engineering is hard business, particularly when trying with large scale new technology. Perhaps they took the wrong design in a point of the development or perhaps they just have bad luck.

But Americans reached the moon ...

Edited by pinguin - 25-Nov-2007 at 10:58
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 09:06
apes and dogs won we was just the pit crew to there glory
long live the king of bhutan
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Nov-2007 at 22:40
Techinically, the Soviets won for entering space for the first time. (Both manned and unmanned). Americans incoperated space race into their economy and other aspects of life while the Soviets used it for pure military and security purposes... so Americans used space exploration more efficiently...

But I don't think anyone really won the space race. Access to space is still quite limited. Just because Vikings discovered America first doesn't mean they won the race to find the New World, right? The race for New World was concluded when transportation, communication and colonization of North/South America have been established. Space race is still going on, though US is very much ahead for now.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 00:37
Yeap. And there haven't been any trip to the Moon in the last 35 years!!!
The next trip there will be in 2020! 50 years after the first trip. And that with luck because the U.S. could suspend the program like it has done with many others before.

Amazing.

mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 02:11
the USSR/Russia has had 75% of world's total space flights...hence my vote
Penelope View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Alia Atreides

Quote Penelope Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Dec-2007 at 07:58
It doesnt matter who supposedly "won", what matters is the fact that the human race as a whole, has reached a new plateau so to speak.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>