Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Chinese Industrial Revolution

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
TranHungDao View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Chinese Industrial Revolution
    Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 04:18
Originally posted by pinguin

Yes. But not the style. Greeks continued to be the intellectuals of the Roman Empire, particularly in science, for a long time after Roman control.

Roman themselves where more inclined to build organizations, make war, promote engineering and bloody entertainment rather to sciences. They had some good phylosophers and doctors but in astronomy and mathematics they were mediocre.

penguin,

Tell me something I don't know.  Geeze.  You post a lot of stuff, some of which I'm only a vaguely aware, but most of it I already know.  Only tidbits here and there I don't know or have never heard of. 

There so much, that I already know, I'm just not going to bother pointing out that I am already familiar with what you assume is my ignorance. Disapprove

Chineses, Romans and Incas were people inclined to state building and put the strenght in practical organization. It is just a matter of style. India and the Middle East has always being inclined to religion, for instance. Phoenicians, Polynesians, Norse, Iberians were born sailors. etc.

Yeah, different cultures produce different results.  Read your history.  And don't forget to take into account the comparative population sizes of ancient Greece vs that of China, India, Arabia, Persia and Europe throughout the ages as you count the respective achievements of each.

And stop counting irrelevant contributions!  In particular stop comparing Chinese or Arab nobody's to Shakespeare & Newton! Angry

Hint:  Even Einstein is not in Newton's league.  Shakespeare's only peer is Joyce.

Of course I right...
Otherwise, where do you put أبو علي الحسن بن الحسن بن الهيثم. Sorry, you don't know arab. I said, where do you put Abu Ali al-Hasan Ibn Al-Haitham? Well, as westerner you are very bad for long names so better search for Alhazen, although same people calls him Al-Basri. He lived between 965 and 1040 AD.

Alhazen:  I'm vaguely familiar with this guy.  But no, he's not a Newton nor a Shakespeare.  More like a Leonardo or Ben Franklin.  In the West, he's dime a dozen.  Indeed, dime a for a dozen dozens.  Also he's not Chinese.  Historically, Indians have bested Chinese intellectually, which is why the Chinese borrowed heavily from them.  Arabs, during the Arab empire, were probably more intellectually creative than the Chinese too.  Remember, the Arab population is much smaller than Chinese population.

http://home.att.net/~mleary/alhazen.htm
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ibn_al-Haytham

Omar Khayym:  Another 3rd tier, or 2nd tier genius at best.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Khayy%C3%A1m

Mozi:  You've got to be kidding.  Considerable intellect, but hardly a godly Newton nor a godly Shakespeare.

http://www.allempires.net/forum_posts.asp?TID=17820
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chinese_mathematics

pinguin,

So you've named two Arabs and one Chinese.  Big deal.  Just look at the pantheon of ancient Greek or ancient Hellenized/westernized Jewish intellectuals, and you'll still end up with more from the two respective tiny populations.

But Chinese mathematicians were as close to Calculus as Archemides.

Prove it!  Just try.  And no garbage wiki links!  HA!  LOL

Don't forget, Archimedes was just one bloke, as opposed to being scores of Chinese or Indians of the famed Kerela school who western scholars are now claiming anticipated much of integral calculus before Newton and Leibniz back in the 1300's or so.  Further, even if true, how do you know that it, or much of it, didn't come from India or from the Greeks or Arabs via India?!?  Confused

Originally posted by TranHungDao

Do you actually believe the Chinese, or any Confucianist Asians, could have come up with string theory, supermanifolds, fractal geometry, etc., by studying the wit & witicisms of the old masters for centuries upon centuries, indeed millenium upon millenium?!? Confused

I do they could have come out with string theory, etc.
Confused

Please stop smoking crack.
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 04:58

Not Confusians but Taoists.

In fact, if you are aware of Chinese history would know bureocrats weren't the only intellectuals of China. Even more, Confusionism is not the single though current in China. Taoism, the opposite, was always important as well.

Just as an example, the Taoist alchemists were the one that came out with the invention of gunpowder! Something that was never invented in the west. Paper came out from bureocrats that improved processes. The same source have the mechanical clockworks of Middle Age's China.

However, there are other inventions that had a different source. The magnetic compass was derivated of a spoon that helped to predict the future.

Sure, and Buddhists monks invented the printing press around the 8th century CE.  How does this hurt my argument?!? Confused

Now, tell me, what special intellectual achievement represent a physical hypotesis that has not been fully demostrated as yet like the string theory or the supermanifolds? Who invented fractal geometry? Do you mean "discovered"?

*sign*

C'mon, you know what I mean.  But if you insist...  God invented those things, and man discovered them.

In fact, the greatest achievements in geometry and physics, were done by other people in other times: Archimedes, Apolonious, Diophantus in the Classic times. Pascal, Descartes, Newton, Leibnitz, Kepler, Galileo and Einstein made the foundations of modern Physics. Intellectuals like Aristotle and George Boole lead to the invention of logic.

Again, How does this contradict my argument?!? Confused

Now, could that happened in China? Of course it could had happened. There are many brilliant Chinese intelectuals you should be aware of, including in abstract sciences.

Confused

The fact of the matter is that they did NOT!  Check their history!

I don't see how anyone can make such a retarded comment.  All of ancient mathematics (i.e. Indian, Chinese, Egyptian, even ancient Greek) can be taught to an intelligent high school kid.  This applies somewhat to Newton's work too.

But things like general relativity, cosmology, string theory, algebraic topology, (modern) algebraic geometry, diffrentiable manifolds,  4-manifolds, supermanifolds, etc., can not be.

You keep making two annoyingly bad assumptions:

1.   All geniuses are equal.  (No they are not!)
2.   Ancient discoveries are no different than modern ones in difficulty and complexity.  (No, the modern ideas become increasingly complicated as the eras go by.  What eras?  String theory is, for sake of arguement, 10 times more complicated than the 1920's quantum physics is, which in turn is 10 times more complicated than classical physics of Newton, Colomb, Faraday, Maxwell and so on, which is 10 times more complicated than that of Alhazen, Archimedes, Democritus et al.)

Chinese, Indian, Arab, Persian, Mayan civilization were capable of basic algebra, analytic geometry, and some pre-calculus concepts.  But that's pretty much it.  For them to discover the Newtonian stuff and beyond, they'd have to radically change their culture--this applies especially to the Chinese.  (Note, I've yet to discuss the confucian civil service exams and their implications.  It's short, but pack a wallop! Hard%20Working)

Another assumption that is wrong. China evolved like any other people in the planet. Tang China was a lot more advanced that the people of the warring states. And Ming China was able to build a fleet that couldn't have been build at Han times. Your circling theory is only especulation on your side.

Geeze, more useless nitpicking...

Sure, people do evolve, just as the Europeans did from the early Dark Ages to the late Dark Ages, or for that matter, to the late Middle Ages.  However, during the Dark Ages and the Middle Ages, Europe too changed at a snails pace, i.e. spinning their wheels.

Prior to western style industrialization, Chinese culture/society developed at a snail pace at best.

I don't see how the steam machine of the alexandrian Greeks could lead to Shakespeare LOL

First, the works of the Greek masters surely lead to Shakespeare.  Shakespeare himself copied others.  Of course, his versions of the various stories he wrote about in his plays were vastly superior to the original versions.  Shakespeare's work is full of allusions to Greek and Roman stories, gods, personalties.  Ever heard of Julius Caesar or Anthony & Cleopatra?

I'm sure you're aware of one of the bard's most famous retorts when someone irrelevant accused him of plagerism:  There's nothing new under the sun!

Well, my dear pinguin, he indeed got much of his stuff from the Greeks and Romans.  Ermm

Second, enlighten me on this alleged "steam machine", please!

Sorry to say it, but your vision of the world is very Eurocentric. In your list you didn't include people as important to the development of Western sciences like Al-Kwarismi or Al-hazen or intellectuals like Omar Kayahamm, without artistic developments. 

That's only because they invented, or "discovered" if you insist, practically everything important in the last 500 years.

Chinese Taoits science lead to the invention of gunpowder, the mechanical clock, the printing press, the bills, the rudder, the magnetic compass, the equatorial mounting on telescopes and many other things you are not aware of.

*sign*

There's plenty of lists of Chinese inventions all over the Internet. tongue

Modern Science wouldn't be possible without chinese contributions at all.

Prove it!  Just try!

It was the mixture of Islamic and Classical sciences plus the Chinese inventions which produced the coctail of creativity in Middle AGes Europe of which you are so proud of. LOL

This I agree with.  But the Chinese didn't exactly come up with everything in a vacuum either.  They borrowed heavily from the Indians.  This is true across the board. Ermm

Edited by TranHungDao - 30-Dec-2007 at 05:03
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 11:00

Please stop bigotry Wink
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 11:22

Sure, and Buddhists monks invented the printing press around the 8th century CE.  How does this hurt my argument?!? Confused

Wrong! The printing press was invented by Gutenberg. Asians invented printing! Careful with the details.

Now, tell me, what special intellectual achievement represent a physical hypotesis that has not been fully demostrated as yet like the string theory or the supermanifolds? Who invented fractal geometry? Do you mean "discovered"?
*sign*

C'mon, you know what I mean.  But if you insist...  God invented those things, and man discovered them.

I see. You can't grasp the idea. Well, Axiomatic Geometry, Calculus or the Numberical Systems are inventions. Fractal theory and Chaos Theory came out by casuality. It was discovered when studying recursive complex functions.

I don't see how anyone can make such a retarded comment.  All of ancient mathematics (i.e. Indian, Chinese, Egyptian, even ancient Greek) can be taught to an intelligent high school kid.  This applies somewhat to Newton's work too.
Well, I bet those retarded people were smarter than yourself LOL. You have to be a genious to invent the escapement in clockwork or to calculate the volume of the sphere.

But things like general relativity, cosmology, string theory, algebraic topology, (modern) algebraic geometry, diffrentiable manifolds,  4-manifolds, supermanifolds, etc., can not be.

Oh, I see. You are in love with new age garbagge. Big%20smile

You keep making two annoyingly bad assumptions:

1.   All geniuses are equal.  (No they are not!)
2.   Ancient discoveries are no different than modern ones in difficulty and complexity.  (No, the modern ideas become increasingly complicated as the eras go by.  What eras?  String theory is, for sake of arguement, 10 times more complicated than the 1920's quantum physics is, which in turn is 10 times more complicated than classical physics of Newton, Colomb, Faraday, Maxwell and so on, which is 10 times more complicated than that of Alhazen, Archimedes, Democritus et al.)

That's where you are wrong. Who said that today's ideas are more complicated than in the past?

The mental skills of human beings have been kept constant during the last 10.000 years at the very least. Theories have a maximum of complexity a person could understand.

All genious are not equal, but a brilliant mind like Alhazen or Aryabatta is recognized at once, no matter they weren't born in the foggy island.

Today world is more complicated, of course, but today we have computers, internet and algebraic calculators that aliviate intellectual tasks. Even theorems have been demostrated by computer! So, don't tell me that people of today is smarter than the ancient. Madonna or Britney Spear aren't LOL

Chinese, Indian, Arab, Persian, Mayan civilization were capable of basic algebra, analytic geometry, and some pre-calculus concepts.  But that's pretty much it.  For them to discover the Newtonian stuff and beyond, they'd have to radically change their culture--this applies especially to the Chinese. 

Someone had to discover Calculus first. Archimedes did.

Sure, people do evolve, just as the Europeans did from the early Dark Ages to the late Dark Ages, or for that matter, to the late Middle Ages.  However, during the Dark Ages and the Middle Ages, Europe too changed at a snails pace, i.e. spinning their wheels.

Prior to western style industrialization, Chinese culture/society developed at a snail pace at best.

No doubt they declined after the Ming. But your cartoon about Chinese society is very pathetic. All societies have periods of decadence and of rapid growth. Nothing special with Chineses or Europeans.

First, the works of the Greek masters surely lead to Shakespeare.  Shakespeare himself copied others.  Of course, his versions of the various stories he wrote about in his plays were vastly superior to the original versions.  Shakespeare's work is full of allusions to Greek and Roman stories, gods, personalties.  Ever heard of Julius Caesar or Anthony & Cleopatra?

I'm sure you're aware of one of the bard's most famous retorts when someone irrelevant accused him of plagerism:  There's nothing new under the sun!

Yes, I know Shakespeare was a copist. A commentator of ancient masters.

That's only because they invented, or "discovered" if you insist, practically everything important in the last 500 years.

Important to whom? Or better, imported from where?
They didn't invent gunpowder for instance.

There's plenty of lists of Chinese inventions all over the Internet. tongue

Please read it then. LOL

This I agree with.  But the Chinese didn't exactly come up with everything in a vacuum either.  They borrowed heavily from the Indians.  This is true across the board. Ermm

Of course. If you mean Needham, I believe he is a fanatic. Yes, Chinese have been important but Needham exagerates very much to the point of being disgusting. In that I can agree.

Edited by pinguin - 30-Dec-2007 at 11:36
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 11:33

Of course I right...
Otherwise, where do you put أبو علي الحسن بن الحسن بن الهيثم. Sorry, you don't know arab. I said, where do you put Abu Ali al-Hasan Ibn Al-Haitham? Well, as westerner you are very bad for long names so better search for Alhazen, although same people calls him Al-Basri. He lived between 965 and 1040 AD.

Alhazen:  I'm vaguely familiar with this guy.  But no, he's not a Newton nor a Shakespeare.  More like a Leonardo or Ben Franklin. 
In the West, he's dime a dozen.  Indeed, dime a for a dozen dozens.  Also he's not Chinese. 

You better study the guy fully and then come back. I am afraid it is not very smart to criticize a guy without knowing about him.

If you are impartial you should recognize a genious when you see it. Imagine the world without glasses and perspective drawing. That what Alhazen initiated for us. Al-Kwarismi and Al-Hazen are some of the most brillianst intellectuals of the Middle Ages, but not the only ones. You should study Islamic scientists better before comming with your wild theories.

Historically, Indians have bested Chinese intellectually, which is why the Chinese borrowed heavily from them.  Arabs, during the Arab empire, were probably more intellectually creative than the Chinese too.  Remember, the Arab population is much smaller than Chinese population.

What do you mean by that? That Chineses are mongolic? State it clearly please.

So you've named two Arabs and one Chinese.  Big deal.  Just look at the pantheon of ancient Greek or ancient Hellenized/westernized Jewish intellectuals, and you'll still end up with more from the two respective tiny populations.

My point was that Europe didn't have the monopoly of genious. I wasn't talking about GPC (Genious per capita) LOL

Don't forget, Archimedes was just one bloke, as opposed to being scores of Chinese or Indians of the famed Kerela school who western scholars are now claiming anticipated much of integral calculus before Newton and Leibniz back in the 1300's or so.  Further, even if true, how do you know that it, or much of it, didn't come from India or from the Greeks or Arabs via India?!?  Confused

I know that both Middle Ages India and Islamic cultures are intellectual descendents of the Greeks. That's is pretty obvious if one read a work of Aryabatta or Al-Kwarismi. That's no brainer. What Indians and Islamic peoples did was to build a new floor of the building of science on top of ancient Greek knowledge.

The originality of Chinese was that they advanced in some original ways without the help of the Greek knowledge both Indians and Arabs had.

Edited by pinguin - 30-Dec-2007 at 11:33
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 11:49

Please stop bigotry Wink

Confused

Please stop smoking crack!
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 12:09

Please stop bigotry Wink

Confused

Please stop smoking crack!

Please quit Eurocentrism! LOLLOL

Edited by pinguin - 30-Dec-2007 at 12:12
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 12:18
First, I'm totally waisting my time debating you.  pinguin, you're constantly grasping at straws. Confused

Debating you is like playing a mindless game of wack-a-mole.  But times 10! Confused

You post so much mamby-pamby garbage praising people who achieved very modest things.  These things were important in their hey-day, but they are not difficult to come up with.  The wheel, the spear, the knife, etc. are without question some of the most important inventions of all time. But were all EASY to invent.

Inventions like gunpowder, the magnetic compass, block printing, the printing press are now literally being done by children in their parent's kitchens and garages.  Many children, including 10 years of age or younger, own patents for items from which they made millions of dollars.

But very few children, but for prodigies who are by definition pretty damn rare, can apply the Gauss-Bonnet theorem or the Aytiyah-Singer index forumula.

Chinese inventions (and ancient inventions in general) were amongst the most important of all time.  True.  No denying that.  But many of which aren't all that different, in the sense of difficulty, from the wheel or some millionaire kids' inventions.  Indeed, there were many, or relatively few depending on how you look at it (length of time/millenia long periods, percapita-wise, etc.)  very sophisticated inventions, or building construction methods (Parthenon, pyrimids, Machu Picchu, etc.), by the Chinese and other ancients, such as the multi-story building housing the celestial clock (Chinese), or mechanical computers (Greek, perhaps by Archimedes), etc.  But across the board, these inventions required no abstract mathematics nor abstract natural sciences (chemistry, physics, biology, genetics,...), nor advanced engineering which is beyond the typical intelligent high school kid.

Got it?!?  So please stop smoking crack!

Wrong! The printing press was invented by Gutenberg. Asians invented printing! Careful with the details.

Touch.

However, you first posted that Toaist invented printing.  Wrong!  It was Chinese Buddhists monks who did.  Careful with details.

I see. You can't grasp the idea. Well, Axiomatic Geometry, Calculus or the Numberical Systems are inventions. Fractal theory and Chaos Theory came out by casuality. It was discovered when studying recursive complex functions.

Confused

Are you telling me that God, if he exists, could not invent fractal geometry?

Ever heard the Akashic Records?!?  Wink

Well, I bet those retarded people were smarter than yourself LOL. You have to be a genious to invent the escapement in clockwork or to calculate the volume of the sphere.

Don't be so sure. Hard%20Working
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 12:38

You better study the guy fully and then come back. I am afraid it is not very smart to criticize a guy without knowing about him.

If you are impartial you should recognize a genious when you see it. Imagine the world without glasses and perspective drawing. That what Alhazen initiated for us. Al-Kwarismi and Al-Hazen are some of the most brillianst intellectuals of the Middle Ages, but not the only ones. You should study Islamic scientists better before comming with your wild theories.

Try reading Archimedes (his workswhich survived the ravages of time anyway...) or Newton.  Alhazen is not in their league.  Alhazen is brilliant?  Yes.  But not a Newton or Shakespeare.  Nor an Archimedes.

At best, he's a Da Vinci or a Ben Franklin.  Considerable intellects all, but hardly godly.

As for Mozi...  Mozi is about as brillant as Mao Tze Tung or Confucious.  Very intelligent, but who cares.  Important to Chinese culture and world history, since China has always had a comparatively HUGE population, but in the end, who cares.

What do you mean by that? That Chineses are mongolic? State it clearly please.
I meant that historians say China got much of her intellectual and religious ideas from the Indians.  Chinese borrowed heavily from the Indians in this respect.

My point was that Europe didn't have the monopoly of genious. I wasn't talking about GPC (Genious per capita) LOL

Sorry, but in the last 500 years, they do.  The Europeans, or rather just the Greeks, were also intellectually dominant during the time of ancient Greece.

Literally correct?  No.  Rhetorically correct?  Hell YES!

I know that both Middle Ages India and Islamic cultures are intellectual descendents of the Greeks. That's is pretty obvious if one read a work of Aryabatta or Al-Kwarismi. That's no brainer. What Indians and Islamic peoples did was to build a new floor of the building of science on top of ancient Greek knowledge.

Yeah, but your new-age, mamby-pamby, tree-hugging, overzealous pro-Chinese & anti-Western propaganda seems to be  clouding your thoughts.

You don't have to lecture me about the barbarism and brutality of the Europeans and their descendants since 1492.  As a Vietnamese, I know about all that.  Vietnam lost millions of people (~10 million) due to the French and Americans.  And mind you, Vietnam's population now may be ~84 million, but during the 100 years of French colonization its population was probably about 6-12 million only, and about 28-50 million during the American intervention which created S. Vietnam.

The originality of Chinese was that they advanced in some original ways without the help of the Greek knowledge both Indians and Arabs had. 

Which means, outside from their tinker-toys and nifty gadgets which many kid inventors could and do regularly achieve nowadays, the Chinese aren't all that original at all! tongue

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 12:42
When it comes to mathematics and physics, the ancients discoveries are not that sophisticated.  Perhaps only the work of Archimedes anticipating calculus is an exception.

However, ancient philosophy and literature is very sophisticated.  They cannot be mastered by a high school student.  A high school student can read it, and understand it, but not deeply.

I should have mentioned this earlier. Disapprove
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 13:08

...But very few children, but for prodigies who are by definition pretty damn rare, can apply the Gauss-Bonnet theorem or the Aytiyah-Singer index forumula.

I got you. You are impressed with mathematical trickery LOL

Chinese inventions (and ancient inventions in general) were amongst the most important of all time.  True.  No denying that.  But many of which aren't all that different, in the sense of difficulty, from the wheel or some millionaire kids' inventions.  Indeed, there were many, or relatively few depending on how you look at it (length of time/millenia long periods, percapita-wise, etc.)  very sophisticated inventions, or building construction methods (Parthenon, pyrimids, Machu Picchu, etc.), by the Chinese and other ancients, such as the multi-story building housing the celestial clock (Chinese), or mechanical computers (Greek, perhaps by Archimedes), etc.  But across the board, these inventions required no abstract mathematics nor abstract natural sciences (chemistry, physics, biology, genetics,...), nor advanced engineering which is beyond the typical intelligent high school kid.

I insist, you are blinded by the bright lights of mathematical trickery. I will go back to that point later.

[QUOTE=pinguin]

Don't tell me you don't have a copy of those records LOL
But you don't understand. Fractals were discovered, not invented.
Some guy was researching in dynamic systems and found them out. It was not a mathematical deduction or construction. It was a discovery.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 13:25

... Try reading Archimedes (his workswhich survived the ravages of time anyway...) or Newton.  Alhazen is not in their league.  Alhazen is brilliant?  Yes.  But not a Newton or Shakespeare.  Nor an Archimedes.

At best, he's a Da Vinci or a Ben Franklin.  Considerable intellects all, but hardly godly.

As for Mozi...  Mozi is about as brillant as Mao Tze Tung or Confucious.  Very intelligent, but who cares.  Important to Chinese culture and world history, since China has always had a comparatively HUGE population, but in the end, who cares.

I could agree on you that Alhazen work (not the person) is less brilliant than an Archemides or Newton. Also, that Einstein and Maxwell works are inferior to Newton's.

But only remember what Newton himself said: he was on top of the shoulders of giants. He has an excellent professor that was Isaac Barrow, who was researching in Calculus already, for example. Even more, John Wallis already was calculating integrals! Newton also has available the techniques of Islamic trigonometry already developed. He also got Algebra, developed by the Arabs and Analytic Geometry already developed by Descartes. He knew about the physics developed by Galileo, Stevin and specially Kepler. He was in the top scientific institution of the world already. All that was required was a genious to put all that together and Newton did.

If Newton had been born 50 years before or later, I bet he wouldn't be the first rank genious he was. He was lucky enough to be born at the right place and right time. For instance, Calculus was developed in parallel by Leibnitz and his method impossed on Newton's. No doubt in a few years other genious had produced Newton's work if he wasn't available.

Sorry, but in the last 500 years, they do.  The Europeans, or rather just the Greeks, were also intellectually dominant during the time of ancient Greece.

Literally correct?  No.  Rhetorically correct?  Hell YES!

Well, I agree on that, but that's not the point. Europe is not the only place were genious are born.

... Which means, outside from their tinker-toys and nifty gadgets which many kid inventors could and do regularly achieve nowadays, the Chinese aren't all that original at all! tongue

Umm! That's not fair with Chinese. They have some genious. Not as much as the West, I agree, but they do have some brilliant minds that you insist in making them smaller than they are.

Edited by pinguin - 30-Dec-2007 at 13:47
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 13:32

When it comes to mathematics and physics, the ancients discoveries are not that sophisticated.  Perhaps only the work of Archimedes anticipating calculus is an exception.

I believe you miss the important point. Try to do square root with egyptian or roman arithmetic and you will realize the problem. To do what ancient geometers and aritmetics did in theirs time it was required a lot of intellect, simply because theirs tools were rustic.

Another example, to master ancient Maya or Egyptian writing you have to be very smart, simply because those systems are a lot ackward. So, to read and write properly you have to expend twenty years studying it, while a Western child learn to read and write in six months using the alphabet!

Of course it is a child play today to calculate the volume of an sphere using calculus or a computer, because the algorithms are known and the tools exist to simplify the task. Try to do it in the times of Pythagoras, though, and you will find out how difficult it was the task.

Even more, what is sophisticated today (Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, String Theory, etc.) would probably be teach in primary school in a couple of centuries, with the help of AI tools that would do all the routine work for ten years old kids.

However, ancient philosophy and literature is very sophisticated.  They cannot be mastered by a high school student.  A high school student can read it, and understand it, but not deeply.

Yes, Ancient literature is very sophisticated, but not only Westerner or Greek. Besides, Shakespeare is not my favority writer at all LOL

Edited by pinguin - 30-Dec-2007 at 13:32
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:14

The type and manner of posting as well as the style is amply recorded on this thread and should serve as sufficient evidence with regard to whose nut has taken wing! Projection is hale and healthy in Trans; that much is more than obvious.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:26
^ Pot, this is kettle calling...  Ermm

For your infromation, pinguin knows I'm joking with him. 

For your information, I like pinguin, and generally agree with him on other respects.

Stop trolling and ducking the debate via snide remarks, explicit and thinly veiled personal attacts--hypocritical ones too I might add.  You don't know what you're talking about which is why you now seem to be lobbying for me to get a warning.

BTW, I've yet to post on the confucianism civil service exam angle of the argument, which is the strongest case.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:29

I believe you miss the important point. Try to do square root with egyptian or roman arithmetic and you will realize the problem. To do what ancient geometers and aritmetics did in theirs time it was required a lot of intellect, simply because theirs tools were rustic.

Another example, to master ancient Maya or Egyptian writing you have to be very smart, simply because those systems are a lot ackward. So, to read and write properly you have to expend twenty years studying it, while a Western child learn to read and write in six months using the alphabet!

Of course it is a child play today to calculate the volume of an sphere using calculus or a computer, because the algorithms are known and the tools exist to simplify the task. Try to do it in the times of Pythagoras, though, and you will find out how difficult it was the task.

Even more, what is sophisticated today (Relativity, Quantum Mechanics, String Theory, etc.) would probably be teach in primary school in a couple of centuries, with the help of AI tools that would do all the routine work for ten years old kids.

Confused

So you're essentially saying the ancients were stupid blockheads who were making things hard for themselves.

Listen pinguin, almost all of that stuff is still high school level.  So indeed, I'm not missing the point!  Cool

EDIT:  Think about it, how are all these calculations any different, any more difficult, than programming a computer.  There are plenty high school computer geeks who can hack into virtually any computer system out there, including very sensitive government and military computers.  I know of an African American millionaire, a smart little punk, who started programming computer games since he was about 10 years old.  He was featured on the CNBC show The Big Idea hosted by legendary advertising exec Donny Deutsche.  He, the black kid, is not a prodigy, just a very bright kid.  Once a year, Deutsche does a show on millionaire kid entrepreneurs.  It often features kids who invented neat little gadgets at the age of 7 or 8 even!  Shocked

Edited by TranHungDao - 30-Dec-2007 at 16:27
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:42

Yes, Ancient literature is very sophisticated, but not only Westerner or Greek. Besides, Shakespeare is not my favority writer at all LOL

Actually, I also meant Indian (Ramayana), Arab, Persian, Chinese, European... literature and philosphy too.  Ermm

However, in their time, the works of Homer, Aeschylus, Sophocles, Euripedes, etc., still stand out.  Ramayana and a few others too.  Per capitawise, I'd still give it to the Greeks and Romans, especially the Greeks.

Later centuries saw Beowulf, Chaucer, etc. in the West.  I'm sure that the Chinese, Indians and Arabs have great classics within the last 1000 years.  Chinese lit has probably been very good for the last 2000 years.  But again, you must take into account per capita arguments.

Lastly, starting with Shakespeare and Cervantes, Western lit really took off after those two blokes.  That is, from Shakespeare onwards, Western lit was and still is supreme.  In the last few decades, there have been a number of great Latin and South American poets and novelists, but I consider them quintesentially western.  A few notable African and Arab writers too, who of course cannot be seen as Western.

Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:47

Don't tell me you don't have a copy of those records LOL
But you don't understand. Fractals were discovered, not invented.
Some guy was researching in dynamic systems and found them out. It was not a mathematical deduction or construction. It was a discovery.

What?!?  Confused

But that's exactly what I said previously!  Go back and read my orginal response to you comment about things being "invented" vs "discovered".  Ermm

And yes, I do have a copy of the Akashic Records.  I'm listening to them right now on winamp mp3 player set to infinite loop.  Cool

Edited by TranHungDao - 30-Dec-2007 at 15:50
Earl
Earl

Quote TranHungDao Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 15:59

No way, when it comes to mathematics, everything is discovered.  Nothing is invented.

Assertion #1:  There's a theory that says for every physical phenomena, currently known or unknown, there is a mathematical equation to explain it.

Assertion #2:  Now take the converse:  For every mathematical equation, there is a physical phenomena that is described by it.

If assertion #2 is correct, and it is, then everthing in mathematics is discovered, since it merely describes something that already exists out there in 3, 4, 10, 11, ... 26 dimensions.

I think the bard of Avon is relevant here:  There's nothing new under the sun!

And...

There are more things in heaven and earth, my dear pinguin, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy.  (Hamlet I.v) 

Edited by TranHungDao - 30-Dec-2007 at 16:10
drgonzaga View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

banned

Quote drgonzaga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Dec-2007 at 20:23

I think the bard of Avon is relevant here:  There's nothing new under the sun!

Great, just great! Now Shakespeare is receiving credit for Scripture!

What has been is what will be, and what has been done is what will be done there is nothing new under the sun" (ECC 1:9 RSV).

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>