Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

conference on WWII

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>
Author
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: conference on WWII
    Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 04:57

Originally posted by Sarmat12

Originally posted by deadkenny

No, clearly France did not have the 'means' ready to strike within the timeframe imposed by Germany's rapid offensive and the SU's early invasion of Poland. 

Is it what you wrote or not?

You said, that's France didn't have the means. I showed that they had them.

Wow, talk about distortion.  What was the very next sentence in my original post, which you didn't bother to quote?  Well it was....

France was still using a WWI timetable and they needed weeks to mobilize and prepare for a major offensive....

You most certainly not 'proven' that France was prepared to launch a major offensive prior to Poland being defeated.  Quite the contrary.  France hadn't even planned to commence a major offensive prior to Sept. 16, and I question whether they were even ready when it came to it.  However, the key point here is that by that time Poland was effectively defeated.  According to your own post, France later delayed their offensive to Sept. 20.  Well, by that time the Soviets had invaded Poland from the east, driving the final nail in the coffin for Poland.  So YET AGAIN, you're simply not refuting my point that France was simply not prepared to launch a major offensive prior to Poland being effectively defeated. So now you want to move on and debate some other point, not having addressed what the original point was in the first place.

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 05:02

...A French offensive in the Rhine river valley area (Saar Offensive) started on September 7, four days after France declared war on Germany...

...Regardless of what you mean by "major offensive" French clearly had enough forces to create pressure on the German on the West, which would be a great help for Poles, but they did nothing.

Yet again you contradict your own post.  In one post you claim that the French launced an offensive starting Sept. 7, yet in another post you claim they 'did nothing'.  Well, which is it?  Did they launch an offensive, even though they were not fully mobilized or did they do nothing?  You can't have it both ways.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 05:15
I highlighted the part where it was clearly stated how much forces French needed for their assault and that they had it within the first week after the declaration of the war.

Didn't you see that? If not, I'll gladly post it one more time.

And again I repeat for you that on September 12, when French decided to halt any offensive operations, the fighting in Poland reached its peak and there were no signs of any Soviet invasion.

I also gave you some quotes of Jodl, who said that Germany survived in 1939 only because superior Allied forces did nothing while the bulk of the German army was in Poland.

And yes, French did nothing that just moved to the East and occupied some villages without even seriously engaging any German units and then they simply returned back. Yes, it was nothing. By doing something I mean attacking and fighting the Germans.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 25-Nov-2007 at 05:18
Σαυρομάτης
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 06:07
Again, I'm not sure what you're arguing against here.  You claim that France launched an offensive in order to prove your point that they were 'capable' of  taking offensive action, but then claim they did nothing.  You post that the French planned to launch a 'major offensive' starting Sept. 16 and later postponed it to Sept. 20, yet Poland was effectively beaten by those dates.  Here's  a quote from your new favourite Wiki source that you neglected to copy and paste:

Originally posted by Wiki

The problem with Polish expectations was that the French and British commitments greatly exaggerated their capabilities. Although France promptly declared war, the French mobilization was not complete until early October, by which time Poland had fallen. In Britain where mobilization was more rapid, only 1 in 40 men were mobilized (compared to 1 in 10 in France, and 1 in 20 in Poland), thus providing only a token force against Germany's forces of several million. The presumption that "something could have been done but wasn't" overlooks the basic fact that the West, just like Poland, was ill-equipped to fight Germany even with the majority of German forces engaged in the east.

By the time Poland finally surrendered in Oct. (long after having been effectively defeated militarily) the British still only had 4 divisions in France and France itself was only just completing their mobilization.  The fact is that the French were limited by their slow mobilization and plans to launch a 'WWI style' offensive which, among other things would involves days of prepatory artillery bombardment.

You also failed to mention that when the French called off further offensive actions, Gamelin quoted the reason as being that the situation in Poland made further offensive operations meaningless - in other words it was already too late to 'save' Poland.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 06:26
The thing is that French have enough forces for the planned offensive of October 16. I already gave you the quotes from "my favorite source."

The decision to halt was made on September 12 and Poland was definetetely not defeated at that time.

And also for some reasons French continued to lie to Poles about their real plans.

Again, you reveal that you don't read my post at all. I wonder then what is the point for you to debate, if you even don't know exactly what you are debating about?

It was written in my post, that French and English actually lied to Poles that they postpone the offensive, while they already decided to halt any offensives.

In any case, Jodl as a German general clearly expressed his impression about campaign of 1939 which was that Germans didn't lose only due to the French inactivity.

Jodl clearly expressed "what I meant" if you didn't understand it yet.

Edited by Sarmat12 - 25-Nov-2007 at 06:36
Σαυρομάτης
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 07:38

The thing is that French have enough forces for the planned offensive of October 16. I already gave you the quotes from "my favorite source."

When was that offensive planned for?

The decision to halt was made on September 12 and Poland was definetetely not defeated at that time.

Really?  So what condition were the Poles in by Sept. 12 then?

And also for some reasons French continued to lie to Poles about their real plans.

See, this is what I mean - what has this got to do with you trying to refute my statement that the French needed more time to mobilize and weren't ready to launch a major offensive until it was too late?  The French lied because they had made promises that they couldn't keep.  They couldn't keep their promises because they took too long to mobilize and prepare for a major offensive and Poland was defeated militarily too quickly.  That's what I've been saying from the start and none of what you've posted refutes that.

Again, you reveal that you don't read my post at all. I wonder then what is the point for you to debate, if you even don't know exactly what you are debating about?

Unfortunately you are the one who seems to be confused about what you're debating.  First you try to state that the Allies were 'responsible' for the Soviets signing a treaty with Nazi Germany.  When I refute that, you switch to arguing that the Soviets weren't responsible for starting WWII, which has nothing to do with what I said in the first place.  Then I stated that France was too slow to mobilize and you post a bunch of stuff that doesn't contradict that - in fact in places it actually agrees with my statements - and yet you continue to go on as if you've refuted my statement.  It's really very simple - regardless of what the French had promised to do they simply weren't finished with their mobilization until Oct.  They were reluctant to attack until they were fully mobilized.  The British were only able to deliver a token force to the continent in that timeframe.  Poland fell much more quickly than expected, effectively defeated within 10 days or so. 

Edited by deadkenny - 25-Nov-2007 at 07:39
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 07:43
Here's the situation as of Sept. 14 - the Poles are let surrounded in a few pockets, leaving the Germans with some 'mopping up', but the campaign being in no doubt whatsoever.  The situation wasn't alot better 2 days earlier. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Poland2.jpg

Edited by deadkenny - 25-Nov-2007 at 07:44
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 08:56

Form history we know that it was Poland who attacked and destroyed Western Ukrainian republic and also attacked Soviets in 1921. Poland occupied Soviet territory and also some territory of the other states like for example Vilno region of Lithuania (this was never recognized by the League of Nations BYW).We also know from history that Poland, that was a military dictatorship conducted an aggressive foreign policy in 1930th. by military threatening Lithuania and invading Czechoslovakia together with "furher." 

You may dislike Soviet sources, but the foreign of Poland at this period was characrerized as a behavoir of "hyena" by Winston Churchill, who was an ardent anti communist. So, it's very natural that it had also had claims on the Soviet territory. 
[/QUOTE]

Poland attacked SU in 1921?? That's interesting one. In 1920 SU army reached Warsaw and in 1921 peace agreement was concluded. Poland didn't occupied Soviet territories. Tell me when those territories were Soviets? They were grabbed from Poland during partitions. Poles and Russians had equal claims to it. In fact these territories should belong to Ukraine or Belarous.
Poland was dictatorship as most of European countries but nothing comparable to the Bloody rules of Stalin were millions people were killed.
Czechoslovakia politics was also agressive towards Poland. As I mentioned they grabbed our territories when SU army was closing to Warsaw. Poland didn't conclude any settlement with germany against Czechoslovakia, our gov cooperated with Hungary though. Of course this even was catastrophical for Poland reputation.
P.S. I wonder how Churchil would call his betrayal of Poland if He called us hiena. He should call him at least "man with no honour: or "traitor".
Poland didn't have any territorial claims towards SU. It was hard to keep what we had. Our gov wasn't that crazy. How You imagine Poland would take any territories from SU?
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 09:02

Here's the situation as of Sept. 14 - the Poles are let surrounded in a few pockets, leaving the Germans with some 'mopping up', but the campaign being in no doubt whatsoever.  The situation wasn't alot better 2 days earlier. 

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/62/Poland2.jpg

I have to say that if not our "allies nature" the plan of defence would be diffrent and we could fight longer. Military better plan was to focus in the centre of Poland on the line of rivers and there fight Germans. Because our goverment was afraid that if we leave Western Poland without fight, France and England without askin Poland will agree on Germany proposal that will say that Germany took Western Poland and they are ready now to conclude peace. So Poland without fight would lost half of its territory. If our gov was sure of its allies it could adopt much effective strategy of defence.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 14:06
Originally posted by Majkes

I have to say that if not our "allies nature" the plan of defence would be diffrent and we could fight longer. Military better plan was to focus in the centre of Poland on the line of rivers and there fight Germans. Because our goverment was afraid that if we leave Western Poland without fight, France and England without askin Poland will agree on Germany proposal that will say that Germany took Western Poland and they are ready now to conclude peace. So Poland without fight would lost half of its territory. If our gov was sure of its allies it could adopt much effective strategy of defence.

Yes, now that I can agree with.  First, the Allies had 'encouraged' Poland not to mobilize too early, thinking it would 'antagonize' Germany when there was still hope for a settlement.  Then there's the fact that in the tensions leading up to war Hitler had been constantly focusing on Danzig and the Polish 'corridor'.  So the Poles believed that the Germans might fight a 'limited' war where they grabbed those areas and then tried to negotiate a peace with France in Britain that left them in control of those areas.  Further, Poland was certainly 'misled' by France and Britain into believing that there would be significant 'pressure' applied against Germany's western front much earlier than was in fact the case.  Finally, there was the 'unexpected nature' of the fighting - no one had yet seen the 'Blitzkrieg' in action on the scale executed by the Germans.  The Poles as well as the French and British expected to and were prepare to essentially re-fight WWI.  So the Poles were caught by the fully prepared German forces (their eastern forces having been fully mobilized prior to the war starting) while they (the Poles) were not fully mobilized, were poorly positioned given the 'all out' nature of the German attack and they were unprepared for the speed of the German manoeuver, expecially that of the 10 Panzer / motorized divisions.  Finally, the Poles were certainly misled by the French in particular, who were simply reluctant to admit that they were unprepared to and incapable of acting as quickly as they had promised to.  No one should underestimate the fighting quality of the Polish soldiers, who continued to resist for weeks after the situation had obviously become hopeless, because of the speed of the German campaign.  Certainly if the Poles had been fully mobilized, better prepared and positioned and aware of time it would take the French to mobilize and prepare for a major offensive in the west, the Poles would have done much better.  However, with the Soviets attacking them from the east, the Poles were likely doomed sooner rather than later in any case.
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 15:21

Yes, now that I can agree with.  First, the Allies had 'encouraged' Poland not to mobilize too early, thinking it would 'antagonize' Germany when there was still hope for a settlement.  Then there's the fact that in the tensions leading up to war Hitler had been constantly focusing on Danzig and the Polish 'corridor'.  So the Poles believed that the Germans might fight a 'limited' war where they grabbed those areas and then tried to negotiate a peace with France in Britain that left them in control of those areas.  Further, Poland was certainly 'misled' by France and Britain into believing that there would be significant 'pressure' applied against Germany's western front much earlier than was in fact the case.  Finally, there was the 'unexpected nature' of the fighting - no one had yet seen the 'Blitzkrieg' in action on the scale executed by the Germans.  The Poles as well as the French and British expected to and were prepare to essentially re-fight WWI.  So the Poles were caught by the fully prepared German forces (their eastern forces having been fully mobilized prior to the war starting) while they (the Poles) were not fully mobilized, were poorly positioned given the 'all out' nature of the German attack and they were unprepared for the speed of the German manoeuver, expecially that of the 10 Panzer / motorized divisions.  Finally, the Poles were certainly misled by the French in particular, who were simply reluctant to admit that they were unprepared to and incapable of acting as quickly as they had promised to.  No one should underestimate the fighting quality of the Polish soldiers, who continued to resist for weeks after the situation had obviously become hopeless, because of the speed of the German campaign.  Certainly if the Poles had been fully mobilized, better prepared and positioned and aware of time it would take the French to mobilize and prepare for a major offensive in the west, the Poles would have done much better.  However, with the Soviets attacking them from the east, the Poles were likely doomed sooner rather than later in any case.

Yes, You are right. I would only add that Highest Command of our army was rather poor and their strategy completely failed.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 19:12

Unfortunately you are the one who seems to be confused about what you're debating.  First you try to state that the Allies were 'responsible' for the Soviets signing a treaty with Nazi Germany.  When I refute that, you switch to arguing that the Soviets weren't responsible for starting WWII, which has nothing to do with what I said in the first place.  Then I stated that France was too slow to mobilize and you post a bunch of stuff that doesn't contradict that - in fact in places it actually agrees with my statements - and yet you continue to go on as if you've refuted my statement.  It's really very simple - regardless of what the French had promised to do they simply weren't finished with their mobilization until Oct.  They were reluctant to attack until they were fully mobilized.  The British were only able to deliver a token force to the continent in that timeframe.  Poland fell much more quickly than expected, effectively defeated within 10 days or so. 

Ok, the nonsense about the slow mobilization of France. I put again this quotes for you:

The French assault (the assault according to the Polish-French agreement of military assistance which had to start on October 16, 1939) was to be carried out by roughly 40 divisions, including one armoured division, three mechanized divisions, 78 artillery regiments and 40 tank battalions. All the necessary forces were mobilised in the first week of September. On September 12, the Anglo-French Supreme War Council gathered for the first time at Abbeville in France. It was decided that all offensive actions were to be halted immediately.

You still insist that France "didn't have enough forces for attacking Germany," don't you?

France gathered all the necessary forces withing the first week after its mobilization. The problem was that they didn't want to carry out that assault. Not that they didn't have enough forces, as you say.

Poland wasn't defeated as of September 12, the campaign in Poland was very dynamic and the situation changed drastically every day.

In any case, if French would carry on their attack somewhere around September 15, most likely the German defences in the West would be overwhelmed, Germans would have to bring the reinforcements back from Poland. And it's also very likely that SU wouldn't attack Poland in this case, since Stalin was waiting for a Western reaction to the German invasion to Poland. He didn't attack earlier despite persistent German requests. He did it only after it had become obvious that France would not involve and thus the risk of war with France and England for SU was minimal. However, French didn't attack, although having enough forces for doing this. They also decided to stop any offensive (when the fate of Poland wasn't decided yet) while lying to the Poles, that they will carry it.

And, yes France and England were responsible for the failure of the negotiations with SU which let to the Molotov-Ribbentrop pact. I have addressed that issue in great detail in my long post.

I don't say that Stalin is not responsible for signing the pact, but he would not sign it if France and England were eager to conclude the alliance with SU. France and England didn't show enough interest in that and Stalin bought the offer from Hilter, because he was mortally afraid of the "combined capitalist attack on SU."

Edited by Sarmat12 - 25-Nov-2007 at 19:50
Σαυρομάτης
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 19:45

Poland attacked SU in 1921?? That's interesting one. In 1920 SU army reached Warsaw and in 1921 peace agreement was concluded. Poland didn't occupied Soviet territories. Tell me when those territories were Soviets? They were grabbed from Poland during partitions. Poles and Russians had equal claims to it. In fact these territories should belong to Ukraine or Belarous.

Yes, excuse me, I have made a mistake. Poland attacked the Reds not in 1921, but in 1920 and invaded deeply in their territory even reaching Kiev and only after that invasion Reds had to regroup and fight back the invaders.

And those territories were predominantly populated by Orthodox Belorussians and Ukrainians who felt much more loaylty to Russians, than to Poles.

If you talk about more ancient history, then these territories were a part of Ancient Rus state, later they were conquered by Lithuania and then incorporated in PLC. But these terriroties never were "natural" Polish lands and they always were predominantly inhabitted by Orthodox Ukrainians and Belorussians.

For the las 2 centuries before Poland regained independence again these territories hadn't administratively belonged to the "Tsardom of Poland" but were under direct Russian rule.

In any case, even Catholic and Greco-Catholic Ukrainians, who were supposed to be more loyal to Polish state, were crushed by Poles when they destroyed the Western Ukrainian Republic in 1919.

The very reason for the failure of the Polish invasion to Soviet Russia in 1920 was the negative attitude of Ukranians to the Polish invaders. Ukrainians prefered to ally with the Reds, rather than tolerate the Polish rule.

P.S. I wonder how Churchil would call his betrayal of Poland if He called us hiena. He should call him at least "man with no honour: or "traitor".
Poland didn't have any territorial claims towards SU. It was hard to keep what we had. Our gov wasn't that crazy. How You imagine Poland would take any territories from SU?

Why don't you believe that it was possible? Why couldn't Poland grab some territories from SU if it was defeated and dissoluted. You mentioned the partitions of Poland. For sure some Polish nationalists would refer to the old borders of PLC to support their "historical" claims on the Soviet territory. It is well known that Pilsudski wanted to recreat PLC as "Polish dominated federation" and advocated the return of the "lost territories in the East."
Σαυρομάτης
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 21:23
i think mobilization is a rather weak argument, even britain in ww1 came to the aid of Belgium after it was already overrun and Britain in 1914 didn't even had introduced conscription yet. the allies had a better chance with their initial forces than after the collapse of Poland with Germanies forces in the west again. afterall they even aided Norway!

Edited by Temujin - 25-Nov-2007 at 21:25
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 21:36

Ok, the nonsense about the slow mobilization of France. I put again this quotes for you:

The French assault (the assault according to the Polish-French agreement of military assistance which had to start on October 16, 1939) was to be carried out by roughly 40 divisions, including one armoured division, three mechanized divisions, 78 artillery regiments and 40 tank battalions. All the necessary forces were mobilised in the first week of September. On September 12, the Anglo-French Supreme War Council gathered for the first time at Abbeville in France. It was decided that all offensive actions were to be halted immediately.

You still insist that France "didn't have enough forces for attacking Germany," don't you?

I never said that France didn't have sufficient forces to make any attack.  In fact they did launch probing attacks, AS YOU POSTED YOURSELF (or did you forget that already?).  What I said was that they were unable to complete their mobilization quickly enough to launch a major offensive on the western front in time to save Poland.  For example, this is what Liddel Hart had to say about the situation in his History of the Second World War:

Originally posted by Liddel Hart

Meantime the French had merely made a small dent in Germanys western front. It looked, and was, a feeble effort to relieve the pressure on their ally. In view of the weakness of the German forces and defences it was natural to feel that they could have done more. But, here again, deeper analysis tends to correct the obvious conclusion suggested by the comparative figures of the opposing forces.

Although the French northern frontier was 500 miles long, in attempting an offensive the French were confined to the narrow ninety-mile sector from the Rhine to the Moselle unless they violated the neutrality of Belgium and Luxembourg. The Germans were able to concentrate the best part of their available forces on this narrow sector, and they sowed the approaches to their Siegfried Line with a thick belt of minefields, thus imposing delay on the attackers.

Worse still, the French were unable to start their offensive action until about September 17 except for some preliminary probing attacks. By that date, Poland was so obviously collapsing that they had a good excuse for countermanding it. Their incapacity to strike earlier arose from their mobilization system, which was inherently out of date. It was the fatal product of their reliance on a conscript army which could not come effectively into action until the mass of trained reserves had been called up from their civil jobs, and the formation had been made ready to operate. But the delay was increased by the French Commands persistence in old tactical ideas particularly their view that any offensive must be prepared by a massive artillery bombardment on the lines of World War I. They still regarded heavy artillery as the essential tin-opener in dealing with any defended position. But the bulk of their heavy artillery had to be brought out of storage, and could not be available until the last stage of mobilization, the sixteenth day. That condition governed their preparations to deliver an offensive.

The military issue in 1939 can be summed up in two sentences. In the East a hopelessly out-of-date army was quickly disintegrated by a small tank force, in combination with a superior air force, which put into practice a novel technique. At the same time, in the West, a slow-motion army could not develop any effective pressure before it was too late.

France gathered all the necessary forces withing the first week after its mobilization. The problem was that they didn't want to carry out that assault. Not that they didn't have enough forces, as you say.

Poland wasn't defeated as of September 12, the campaign in Poland was very dynamic and the situation changed drastically every day.

In any case, if French would carry on their attack somewhere around September 15, most likely the German defences in the West would be overwhelmed, Germans would have to bring the reinforcements back from Poland. And it's also very likely that SU wouldn't attack Poland in this case, since Stalin was waiting for a Western reaction to the German invasion to Poland. He didn't attack earlier despite persistent German requests. He did it only after it had become obvious that France would not involve and thus the risk of war with France and England for SU was minimal. However, French didn't attack, although having enough forces for doing this. They also decided to stop any offensive (when the fate of Poland wasn't decided yet) while lying to the Poles, that they will carry it.

France had the necessary forces?  Was 40 divisions sufficient?  It was certainly far short of complete mobilization.  Here is what Len Deighton has to say about the forces available in Sept. in his book Blitzkrieg

Originally posted by Len Deighton

...Germany had 34 divsions facing west at the time of the attack on Poland, with the total brought to over 43 by 10 September....No British troops were in position until October. France also had to cover the Italian and Spanish frontiers and had 14 divisions in North Africa. Bauer calculates that at the time of the declaration of war France had only 7 divisions available for the Western Front. Even on 20 September, with mobilizations completed, there were only 57 divisions (and this includes the men manning the Maginot Line fortifications).

Poland wasn't 'defeated' by Sept. 12?  What is that claim based on?  Here is what WIlliam L. Shirer has to say about the situation in Poland in his book The Collapse of the Third Republic

Originally posted by William L. Shirer

]
They were vanquished in eight days. By the afternoon of September 8, the 35 divisions of the Polish army all that there had been time to mobilize had been either shattered or caught in a vast pincer movement that closed in around Warsaw. That afternoon the German 4th Panzer division reached the outskirts of the Polish capital. Directly south of the city, racing up from Silesia and Slovakia, General Walter von Reichenaus Tenth Army captured Kielce and General Wilhelm Lists Fourteenth Army arrived at Sandomierz at the junction of the Vistula and San rivers. There remained little for the Germans to do except to mop up, and this phase was completed by the 17th, except in the Warsaw triangle and further west near Posen where pockets of Polish troops held out valiantly for a few days more.

Originally posted by William L. Shirer

] On September 7, with the Polish Army already doomed, Halder, as has been noted, was already occupied with plans to transfer German divisions to the west.

Two days later Hitler issued Directive No. 3 for the Conduct of the War, ordering arrangements to be made for Army and Air Force units to be sent from Poland to the west.

Look at the map I posted above.  The last Polish position that can be considered a 'front line' is dated Sept. 5.  After that, the 'front line' was broken through in numerous places, the front collapsed and Polish resistance was limited to isolated pockets.  One of the larger pockets, at Radom, surrendered on Sept. 11.  (again, labeled on the map).  Is it coincidence that one day later the French called off their offensive action in the west?

deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 21:42
Originally posted by Temujin

i think mobilization is a rather weak argument, even britain in ww1 came to the aid of Belgium after it was already overrun and Britain in 1914 didn't even had introduced conscription yet. the allies had a better chance with their initial forces than after the collapse of Poland with Germanies forces in the west again. afterall they even aided Norway!

Well, that comparison hardly makes sense.  We're talking about French mobilization here, not Britain's.  The British didn't come to the aid of Beligium in WWI alone, their forces were added to those of the French.  Without the much larger French army, the BEF would have been an ineffective 'drop in the bucket'.   Further, I have never suggested that the French should have done nothing.  However one must understand the limitations they were working under before one can comment intelligently on what they could have done.  As I stated in the first place, they simply could not complete their mobilization in time to launch a major offensive on the western front in time to 'save' Poland.  Once Poland had been conquered, there was no further reason to 'rush' the offensive (in the view of the Allies). 
Majkes View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Imperial Ambassador

Quote Majkes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Nov-2007 at 23:51

Poland wasn't 'defeated' by Sept. 12?  What is that claim based on?  Here is what WIlliam L. Shirer has to say about the situation in Poland in his book The Collapse of the Third Republic

[quote= William L. Shirer]
They were vanquished in eight days. By the afternoon of September 8, the 35 divisions of the Polish army all that there had been time to mobilize had been either shattered or caught in a vast pincer movement that closed in around Warsaw. That afternoon the German 4th Panzer division reached the outskirts of the Polish capital. Directly south of the city, racing up from Silesia and Slovakia, General Walter von Reichenaus Tenth Army captured Kielce and General Wilhelm Lists Fourteenth Army arrived at Sandomierz at the junction of the Vistula and San rivers. There remained little for the Germans to do except to mop up, and this phase was completed by the 17th, except in the Warsaw triangle and further west near Posen where pockets of Polish troops held out valiantly for a few days more.

Here You are wrong as well mr Wiliam L Shirer. The biggest battle of September campain took place 9-19th September so Poland wasn't for sure finished until 12th September. Mr. Shirer information about situation on the front seems to be gently speaking not too precise.
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 03:24

Here You are wrong as well mr Wiliam L Shirer. The biggest battle of September campain took place 9-19th September so Poland wasn't for sure finished until 12th September. Mr. Shirer information about situation on the front seems to be gently speaking not too precise.

You have to understand the perspective of that statement, which I don't necessarily agree with in an absolute sense.  However, I do not believe that Shirer was saying that fighting had ended - far from it.  However, look at the map that I posted, and which appears again in the link you have provided.  The last semblance of a 'frontline' that appears is as of Sept. 5.  At that point the the Polish 'front' was penetrated at numerous points and Polish forces broken up into isolated 'pockets'.  Now, one of these 'pockets' was centred around Kulno (see the map) and consisted of the forces that fought the Battle of Bzura.  These forces attempted to breakout, had some initial success against the Germans before they could consolidate their 'ring' around the pocket, but were ultimately defeated.  In the meantime, other sectors of the front were also collapsing and the remaining Polish forces 'contained' in isolated 'pockets' (again, reference the map).  There was still plenty of 'fighting' remaining, but I believe Shirer's point is that it was in the nature of 'mopping up', the Polish forces had been 'fatally compromised' when their front line collapsed.  I'm not trying to minimize the valiant efforts of the Polish soldiers, who continued to fight on.  But realistically, there wasn't much prospect for a continuation of the fight much longer once the pocketed Armies of Poznan and Pomorze were 'contained' and the Radom pocket had surrendered.  If you want to push that date back to Sept. 12, I can agree with that.  In fact that is when the French assessed the situation as 'hopeless' and gave up on their own offensive efforts in the west.
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 05:19
EVEN, if you what you write is true (although IMO it's wrong), German forces still were occupied in the East (blocking pockets with surrounded Polish forces) and French had enough forces to seriously harass the weak German forces in the West and they did NOTHING.

The so called "Rur offensive" example, which I raised earlier, was actually an example of how French having sufficient forces didn't perform any action agains Germans if you still didn't get it.

It was not an offensive but "a vast joke."

Edited by Sarmat12 - 26-Nov-2007 at 06:08
Σαυρομάτης
deadkenny View Drop Down
General
General

Quote deadkenny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Nov-2007 at 17:56

EVEN, if you what you write is true (although IMO it's wrong), German forces still were occupied in the East (blocking pockets with surrounded Polish forces) and French had enough forces to seriously harass the weak German forces in the West and they did NOTHING.

The so called "Rur offensive" example, which I raised earlier, was actually an example of how French having sufficient forces didn't perform any action agains Germans if you still didn't get it.

It was not an offensive but "a vast joke."

Presumably you'll understand if I continue to believe the 'opinions' of the multiple historians that I quoted over your opinion.

Certainly some German forces would be 'tied up' in the east, finishing off pockets of continued resistance.  However, the entire force initially allocated would clearly not be required.  As can be seen from my previous references, the Germans were already transferring forces west before the French had even planned to make any significant efforts, never mind actually being prepared to launch them.  As can been seen from the Liddell Hart reference in particular, the French were still wedded to WWI tactics and doctrine.  To launch a proper offensive they needed their heavy artillery, which wasn't available until Sept. 16.  Prior to that, they launched 'probing attacks', basically taking up the 'no man's land' between the border and the German western fortifications.  That would be standard procedure in 'preparing' to launch a major offensive in WWI anyway.  As I've stated repeatly, from the first, the French were unable to complete their mobilization and preparations for launching a major (WWI style) offensive prior to the situation in Poland becoming so hopeless that the raison d'etre for launching such an 'early' (in the French view) offensive was already gone.

You've failed to support your claims regarding the French mobilization or the situation in Poland.  The situation was that without their heavy artillery, the French were simply not prepared to launch a major offensive.  So the earliest possible date was Sept. 16.  Well before that the Polish front had collapsed, the last major effort by the Poles being the attempted breakout of the surrounded Armies of Poznan and Pomorze.  By Sept. 12 the French deemed the situation in Poland 'hopeless' and called off their offensive actions.  The fact is, that although I agree that the French should have done more, they were not looking at an easy prospect.  The French were limited in what they could do by their slow mobilization system.  They were also looking at attacking a relatively narrow sector of the front (90 miles long as per Liddell Hart), which was naturally the most heavily fortified sector of the German front.  The French were, obviously, not anxious to have to attack.  All the more so when the reason for attacking (i.e. to 'save' the Poles) was moot by virtue of the quickness of the German campaign before the French were fully prepared to attack in the first place.  I'm not trying to let the French off the hook here, but your unsubstantiated claims that the French were fully prepared to go before Poland was effectively defeated is simply wrong.

Edited by deadkenny - 26-Nov-2007 at 17:57
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>