Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Which is the original language of your country?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
King John View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote King John Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Which is the original language of your country?
    Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 02:12
Pinguin, you could try this site:
http://www.croeso-cynnes-wales.co.uk/iaith/meaning.html

(just copy and paste it for it to work)

--------------------------------------------------
Janus Rook: (The hyperlink should be working now, you may just click the link).

Edited by JanusRook - 20-Nov-2007 at 10:26
Windemere View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Windemere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 02:39
My father grew up on a farm in western Ireland in the early 1900's during a time when the language was changing over from Gaelic to English. Parents, grandparents, and children all lived together in the same house. Grandparents spoke Gaelic. Parents grew up speaking both Gaelic and English. The children spoke English, though they understood Gaelic. English was the language of economic opportunity and business while Gaelic limited people to local farming culture so it was advantageous to know English.

He moved to  western Massachusetts (already mentioned) and a few of  the local  towns here (such as Agawam and Chicopee) have names from the old Algonquian Indian language, especially the ones that were built on the sites of old Indian villages.
Windemere
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 11:02
Originally posted by Patch

Originally posted by longshanks31

it was gaelic here i think, after many waves of people coming here, its divided into three forms, welsh, scotch gaelic and the almost extinct cornish gaelic.
In the scheme of things english as we know it is quite modern.

No such thing as 'Cornish Gaelic' Cornish is a Brythonic 'p' Celtic language very similar to Welsh and Breton..  Gaelic is a 'q' Celtic language originally spoken in Ireland and related to the Celti Iberian 'q' Celtic.

Earliest known language of mainland UK was an early form of Welsh, which depending on which theory you believe was very similar to Gaulish. 

cheers patch, you dont know if cornish is still spoken atall do you
long live the king of bhutan
Al Jassas View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Al Jassas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 14:41
My "English" professor was ironically a welsh nationalist, at home and communication with family, he only spoke Welsh. He memorized many beautiful welsh song that I understood nothing of them. He told me that in his home town, near Anglesey, English is very rare and even children do not speak the language amongst themselves.

Al-Jassas
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 14:50

Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Styrbiorn

South Sweden: Swedish/Danish/Norwegian. North Sweden: Sami.

Sami!

That's interesting! Besides the language of the Norse it is also interesting... samples please...

I don't know any Sami I'm afraid, so I can only link to wiki's page (written by Sami people, so it should be decent): http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sami_languages
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 17:20

Are there where you live names that people don't know the meaning in German? That would be interesting to find out.

can't think of any at the moment...
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 23:30

Originally posted by Patch

it was gaelic here i think, after many waves of people coming here, its divided into three forms, welsh, scotch gaelic and the almost extinct cornish gaelic.
In the scheme of things english as we know it is quite modern.

No such thing as 'Cornish Gaelic' Cornish is a Brythonic 'p' Celtic language very similar to Welsh and Breton..  Gaelic is a 'q' Celtic language originally spoken in Ireland and related to the Celti Iberian 'q' Celtic.

Earliest known language of mainland UK was an early form of Welsh, which depending on which theory you believe was very similar to Gaulish. 

cheers patch, you dont know if cornish is still spoken atall do you

Cornish went extint in the 19th century but has recently been resurected.  Not sure how accurate the resurection is though. 

Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Nov-2007 at 23:34

Hey, and what place names in Britain are in Brythonic, Celt Iberian, Welsh et al?

That would be nice to know

I used to have a book giving the placename origins of most UK settlements, unfortuneatley I lost it when moving.  I grew up in a village which in Gaelic means "field of the boggle".

For an idea below is a wiki link that gives some oringins of UK place names -

pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 00:36
Grunts and sign languages.

Join us.
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 01:43
LOL, everyone's having difficulty as for me this is easy.

Demotic. :)
Tar Szernd View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Tar Szernd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 07:56
Originally posted by Temujin

Are there where you live names that people don't know the meaning in German? That would be interesting to find out.

can't think of any at the moment...

Maybe some village names by the sorbs?
(In most of the german heimatdokumentary :-)films I've seen was mentioned the - f.e. old frank or saxon etc- origin of the village/town name ,but I can't remember:-).

Edited by Tar Szernd - 20-Nov-2007 at 07:56
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 10:29
pinguin, its only my estimate but id guess there are thousands of place names with a gaelic influence, from top to toe of the country, i say that because most place names in britain do not actually seem to mean or descibe anything in english, the romans, vikings danes and normans all have there influences with place names ie newcastle means something in english, but leicester the city i grew up in means nothing in english, many place names have a connection to the rivers that run through them, ie avonmouth or stoke on trent, after the avon and trent rivers that run through them, but the twist is, who named the rivers, if the river names are celtic in origin by and large then there influence is even greater.
English as we know it is quite a young language, the normans landed in 1066 and there influence on the native tongue would have been profound, its very likely due to the age of british settlements that place names that are 100 percent english language in origin are infact a minority.
I could be wrong, its just what ive found from skimming through my road atlas,
Roberts View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

aka axeman

Quote Roberts Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 12:51
Finnic - Livonian,  Baltic - Selonian, Letthigallian, Semigallian, Curonian.
Temujin View Drop Down
King
King
Sirdar Bahadur

Quote Temujin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Nov-2007 at 18:38
Originally posted by Tar Szernd

Maybe some village names by the sorbs?
(In most of the german heimatdokumentary :-)films I've seen was mentioned the - f.e. old frank or saxon etc- origin of the village/town name ,but I can't remember:-).

well Sorbs live in the east, i live in the south. but you are correct, the name of villages here give away when they were founded and by whom...

coming back to the Sorbs, many place names in eastern Germany are actually Slavic, like Leipzig and Chemnitz for example.

Edited by Temujin - 20-Nov-2007 at 18:38
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Dec-2007 at 01:16

This may sound strange to Spaniards but, after thinking it a little bit, and seeing the evidence, I have the idea that the original language of the ancient Iberians was something very close to Basque!

I hope that idea don't produce a violent attack on me LOL

These are basic Basque phrases. If you find very strange, perhaps the reason is that, unlike Spanish that comes from Latin, Basque IS NOT an Indoeuropean language.

• Bai = Yes
  • Ez = No
  • Kaixo! = Hello
  • Agur!, Aio! = Goodbye!
  • Ikusi arte = See you!
  • Eskerrik asko! = Thank you!
  • Egun on = Good morning (literally: Good day)
  • Egun on, bai = Standard reply to Egun on
  • Arratsalde on = Good evening
  • Gabon = Good night
  • Mesedez = Please
  • Barkatu = Excuse (me)
  • Aizu! = Listen! (To get someone's attention, not very polite, to be used with friends)
  •  
    Colonel
    Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 00:41
    well the basque were very powerfull in there time, that would be profound upon the iberian languages.
    Guests View Drop Down
      Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Dec-2007 at 04:23

Yeap. That's a very interesting fact.

It is amazing how much Spanish language is associated with the culture of Spain when, in fact, Spanish is nothing less than a popular variation of Latin, carried to Spain by the poor soldier and other uneducated people.

The native languages of Spain become extinct, but it is tragical and ironical that perhaps the closest language to the Iberian natives of Spain is Basque...

That could come as a shock for most Spaniards. For Latinos it just sounds funny. ( To get the feeling, a similar situation for a British could be to realize that the original language of England was Welsh or Irish Confused... that would be a shock)

Edited by pinguin - 09-Dec-2007 at 04:26
    medenaywe View Drop Down
    AE Moderator
    AE Moderator
    Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Feb-2015 at 04:21
    Original is one,we all around the world are speaking it's compounds!Big smile
     Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12