Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Britain declining?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>
Poll Question: Is Britain declining?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [21.21%]
5 [15.15%]
20 [60.61%]
1 [3.03%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Britain declining?
    Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 01:21
God save the Queen! ... and British economy from decline Wink
LuckyNomad View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Online Status: Offline
  Quote LuckyNomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 05:59
Internationally, I wouldn't say Britain is declining. London, New York, and Tokyo are the three major financial centers of the world. The Pound is one of the strongest currencies out there and Britain is still #6 in the world in terms of PPP. Britain has assumed a very advantageous position in the world by, "triangulating," for lack of a better word, itself between the US and the EU. It has a better relationship with the Superpower than any other country, and it also has the ability to be a leader in the EU, though it isn't tied to the waste of either, so it can also act on its own in many circumstances with credibility.
It's military isn't in a class with the US, but then again, nobody's is. So it's at least a second rate power. And because it has a very effective special mission team, SAS, it can get what it needs done in this modern era. The SAS can be much more useful to a country like Britain, than an armada.
Plus Britain has stability. Something that bigger countries like Russia, China, India, and Brazil have no guarantee on. 
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 09:06
of the new powers riseing in the world i think brazil will make the best of things out of them india and china, i like brazil too, they could have had the nuke years ago if they had wanted, but showed great strength and courage in shelving the idea.
Brazil has a lot more going for it in terms of long term prosperity i think, something in my heart and reasoning tells me that china and indias meteoric bubble will most likely burst at some point.
but brazil will continue to improve.

I have scoured the net on the subject of this thread and can see no evidence of decline, stable and sustainable growth is whats happening, the olympics will be a huge plus, not for the games itself or stadiums etc, but the transport and infrastructure of the capital will be revamped, and thats been needed for quite a while, the politicians have no choice but to dig deep in the pockets.
If heathrow gets the go ahead for its expansion, that will be excellant for business too. (not very green but thats one battle we all have to fight)
We declined from the start of the first world war to the mid nineties but since then with a few hiccups on the way our stars have been slowly rising.

The only thing that drives me nuts about this country is its newspapers, they are mostly (with exception of times, telegraph) filled with bad news, and most of it relateing to some z list celebs cellulite.
They never report an equall balance of the good things (doesnt sell papers i guess)

Id be interested to know what you think of your countrys newspapers, dont want to go off topic, but ive done it now.
long live the king of bhutan
Eondt View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Eondt Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 10:02
Hi Pinguin,

Nope. Britain is definately not declining. You base your argumment upon economic figures and therefore that is what I will argue on. The evidence produced by yourself to illustrate a declining state, has instead illustrated to me a stable, growing economy with a healthy employment rate (one other countries including my own and, i bet, yours would envy). Sure it shows lower growth rates than developing countries (including my own and yours), but that is expected in a developed economy. First off, the base that Britain is growing from is a lot larger than ours and it complies with the basic principle of risk vs. return. Britain falls right smack into the low risk category at the moment while our own economies, though showing higher growth rates, also represent higher risk for any foreign investor. The inflation, prime interest and growth rate are all in line with one another as expected, and their GDP growth is higher than the inflation rate, representing real growth, definately not decline. Britain might have been overtaken by other countries with regards to the sheer size of their economy but those that have overtaken it do posess larger populations, so it's only expected. Plus do you have any statistics of Britain's ranking wrt GDP a hundred years ago? I do not necessarily believe they were the biggest even back then.
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 12:36

Yeah, though the British may not have all there territories they used to have and natural resources they used to posess, they have become more self-managed, they are still one of the most powerful economies today.

Edited by Sun Tzu - 13-Nov-2007 at 12:37
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 12:53
Originally posted by Eondt

Hi Pinguin,

Nope. Britain is definately not declining. You base your argumment upon economic figures and therefore that is what I will argue on. The evidence produced by yourself to illustrate a declining state, has instead illustrated to me a stable, growing economy with a healthy employment rate (one other countries including my own and, i bet, yours would envy). ...

Fellow, the point was relative decline with respect to the rest. Took Egypt, for instance, and you will see that today is infinitely richer than by the days of the pyramids LOL. Spain and Portugal are also quite a lot richer than by the time of the Empire.... However, everyone of them has declined with respect to the rest of the world.

That's all the point. Britain is not the first superpower anymore, not the more creative country or the richer, as it used to be less than a century ago.
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 13:21

I actually live here and I can tell you it is in no way shape or form declining, quite the opposite.  None of the dangers looming in the US are ont he horizon here and confidence is high.

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 14:18
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Eondt

Hi Pinguin,

Nope. Britain is definately not declining. You base your argumment upon economic figures and therefore that is what I will argue on. The evidence produced by yourself to illustrate a declining state, has instead illustrated to me a stable, growing economy with a healthy employment rate (one other countries including my own and, i bet, yours would envy). ...

Fellow, the point was relative decline with respect to the rest. Took Egypt, for instance, and you will see that today is infinitely richer than by the days of the pyramids LOL. Spain and Portugal are also quite a lot richer than by the time of the Empire.... However, everyone of them has declined with respect to the rest of the world.

That's all the point. Britain is not the first superpower anymore, not the more creative country or the richer, as it used to be less than a century ago.

The point then is that other countries have caught up/passed Britain rather than Britain has declined ?
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 14:59

Do we really need a thread for this?

Maybe I should start a thread that says, "Plate Mail Now Obsolete" just in case somebody didn't know.

The title is misleading, I expected to hear you making a case that Britain's actually in decline right now, not 100 years ago.
HaloChanter View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote HaloChanter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 16:09

This entire thread is rather laughable. Or is that lamentable?

When people take a Gibbonian approach to history and explain the fall of empires in terms of morals or "energy" makes me wince.

Britain of course stopped functioning as a Global Superpower after 1947. It fought a rearguard action until the 1960's and has since become the Athen's to Rome's Rome, as it were.

So to ask if Britain is declining compared to superpower's such as the USA or China is a bit silly when it is common knowledge that Britain's pretensions to such ended after the Sueze disaster - and more realistically with Indian independence.

As a regional and modern power, among contemporaries of such calibre (ie Japan, Germany, France, etc) I would rate it highly. It's military, global garrisons and bases, economy and diplomatic influence give it a position I believe above most other countries in its league, and the ride on the back of American interventionism has enabled it to project a far wider cloak of power than it could ever have on its own.
Culturally it maintains that special niche that it was once king of, and is still the Athen's in Rome's Mediterranean world.

Since Thatcherism Britain has, relatively (and that is the key word here) seen somewhat of a rise, as opposed to a decline. With Brown not entirely shrieking away from the policies of Blairism it will be interesting to see if this new position on the global stage can be maintained.

Once again, it is rather silly to talk of a British decline relative to the superpower position of, say, the USA, especially as Britain's decline from that very same position happened some generations ago now.

Edited by HaloChanter - 13-Nov-2007 at 16:10
Kind regards,

HaloChanter
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 18:07
Originally posted by HaloChanter

When people take a Gibbonian approach to history and explain the fall of empires in terms of morals or "energy" makes me wince.

Well said. Empires end mainly because of economic reasons: it becomes impossible to raise enough money to pay for the always costly wars. It has nothing to do with how virtues the people from the metropolis are; it has a lot more to do with how much they can pay in taxes to support military adventures.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 18:10
Originally posted by edgewaters

Do we really need a thread for this?

Maybe I should start a thread that says, "Plate Mail Now Obsolete" just in case somebody didn't know.

The title is misleading, I expected to hear you making a case that Britain's actually in decline right now, not 100 years ago.

Plate mails obsolete, now you tell me.

As long as nothing happens on my watch is all i care about, what britain will or will not be in a hundred years time is not of much relevance i will not be around for it to concern me.

if you read the british pirates thread you will see what motivated the creation of this thread, and was not for the purpose of sensible debate, the poll options alone speak volumes about this threads intentions, but alas the poll has largely backfired.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 19:00
Originally posted by longshanks31

if you read the british pirates thread you will see what motivated the creation of this thread, and was not for the purpose of sensible debate, the poll options alone speak volumes about this threads intentions, but alas the poll has largely backfired.

Using your own "motto".

The point was that Britania "doesn't rule" anymore as it used to do....Wink
God save Uncle Sam , so to speak.Confused

Edited by pinguin - 13-Nov-2007 at 19:01
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 22:34
I always thought for you Pinquin it was "God save South America" or some region or other therein. The way you write you seem to care the least what happens in  America or England and have a genius for reporting the negative. Anyway I cringe to see the American way of holding up straw men like George Bush. As for English leaders  there is not so much of a cringe factor and the country is still quietly going from strength to strength. Britain spent hundreds of years building up an offshore financial Empire and are still reaping the benefits of the Commonwealth.

Edited by elenos - 13-Nov-2007 at 22:35
elenos
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 23:36

pinguin, as an atheist the concept of god saving anything is wasted on me, but your not to know that.

You started this thread with a question and the evidence is that britain is not declining, the reverse infact it is growing at a steady pace (an option neglected as a poll choice)
we are not the highest we have ever been nor are we the lowest we have ever been, and at present we are growing, if evidence is going to be overlooked simply because it doesnt tally with what you want to hear thats your problem.
but on things for sure i am now definatly looking forward to being chiles new next door neighbor lol
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 23:58
the article you posted seems more of a cheap backhanded shot at america than an intelectual appraisal of the state of our nation.

Iran made a mistake, we were fighting two wars at the time this happened, not much spare manpower for a third, these two wars are coming to a close now, Wink

Heraclius View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Heraclius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 13:02
I think considering the huge swings and shifts in power in the last 60 years the fact Britain, a relatively small nation is still a factor in world politics, in terms of economics and military might is an incredible achievement. Instead of fading entirely from the world scene after the end of the empire, Britain went through a period of transition and has come out the other end a great nation in it's own right, a new Britain.

Britain clearly isn't as powerful as it was at the height of it's empire, however just because that empire no longer exists does not mean to say Britain itself is therefore declining. It is excelling and advancing in it's own right, without an empire.

I've lived in Britain all my life, England to be specific and I come from a working class background in one of the traditionally poorest urban cities in the country. I can say with confidence that life has gotten better over time, that things have not declined sharply. From the time of my mothers upbringing in the 60s and 70s, when things in terms of standards of living were far poorer, when nobody had any money or any of the things I now have in abundance. Things are far different today, my family is not well off, none of us earn huge salaries, but we still have a car, we are able to afford things that my mothers generation could only dream of.

I think Britain has problems, like every country, but I don't think it is a shadow of it's former self, I believe Britain has evolved and transformed into a strong, viable influence in worldwide economic and political spheres, not in a worse way, just different.
A tomb now suffices him for whom the world was not enough.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 18:32
and everyone waits for my answer..... cool LOL
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 18:53
whatever tickles your pickle dude
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Nov-2007 at 19:12
Originally posted by longshanks31

whatever tickles your pickle dude

Por que no te callas! Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 8>