Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Contributions Of Islamic Knowledge to The world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contributions Of Islamic Knowledge to The world
    Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 14:55
Originally posted by es_bih

No. From 500 to 1550 the world stood still in darkness and barbarism. Then we discovered the noble Greco-Romans who put light where was darkness... Ouch

Exactly!

Some people just show Eurocentric bigotry with respect to inventors and discoverers.

During the Middle Ages, India, China and the Muslim World continue to develop Science and Arts from the level Greeks left it. During almost 10 centuries, they advances made the foundations of the Modern world.

Greeks didn't invented the indo-arabic number system, chess,
"Pascal"'s theorem, paper, ecuatorial mounting for telescopes, the escapement, printing or gunpowder. They lacked the skills on Medicine and Chemistry of Muslims. Greeks didn't developed algebra and trigonometry to the levels on which Europeans started theirs works, the difference between both was invented by Muslim, Indian and Chinese mathematicians of the Middle Ages.

It is so disgusting that bigotry don't allow history to show the whole picture.

Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 15:02
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by Leonardo

Have you already read all the excerpts of the book I linked before? You are really Speedy Gonzales LOL

So, I have to follow what you read?

Amazing.

Why not, if you can learn more

Edited by Leonardo - 01-Mar-2008 at 15:04
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 15:59
Originally posted by Leonardo

Originally posted by Pinguin

So, I have to follow what you read?

Amazing.

Why not, if you can learn more

Of course. However, I am afraid I know more than enough of your possition to continue LOL

In fact, I believe it would be fair you study something about Muslim contributors, before we continue.

Edited by pinguin - 01-Mar-2008 at 16:01
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 16:36

Seeing the ridiculus and childlike Greek-Roman paintings above is not enough to convince you Greeks didn't master perspective?

If those paintings are "ridicolous and childlike" a lot of celebrated Renaissance paintings are "ridicolous and childlike" too ...

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2008 at 17:42
Perspective appeared with the invention of the obscure camera. Only then artists could correct the early proto-perspective techniques in something serious.

This is Chinese "Perspective", for instance. It looks natural and right, but it is not based on projections.

Now, using perspective and camera obscura you could produce this:

canaletto.JPG%20%28278830%20bytes%29

And all that goes back to this person

And this Book on Optics:

%28JPG%29

Edited by pinguin - 01-Mar-2008 at 17:56
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 17:15

You shouldn't expect to see Modren Perspective in ancient paintings, for example I think this is good enough for an ancient Sassanid relief:

Boar hunt at Taq-e Bostan

jmac950 View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jmac950 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 18:26
I can't believe how many people are denying the contribution of Islam. The house of Wisdom disagrees with those Eurocentric people.
Leonardo View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Leonardo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 19:16
I can't believe how many people are incapable of reading and understanding what other forumers write and mean.

Edited by Leonardo - 02-Mar-2008 at 19:19
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 22:14
Or maybe your incapable of making yourself clear.
Mughal e Azam
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Mar-2008 at 22:19
Originally posted by Mughaal

Or maybe your incapable of making yourself clear.

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 15:32
most of what we call inventions or even discoveries are developments of older knowledge and the older knowledge got it from an even older one.... its something natural from a creature with brain that remembers and learns from past experiences to do that.

some of the above posts arguing about Islamic Scholars developed an older knowledge, well yea and dont forget that the "older" knowlege took it from an even older one ...etc

its a matter of contribution, developing something is a huge contribution to humanity, that wouldn't happen without a wise and rich atmosphere.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:18
What I don't understand is where Pinguin and others get this idea from that the contributions of Muslims (Arab or otherwise), Indians, Chinese and so on are somehow hidden or disguised in western historiography.

Everything anyone has said here about their scientific, artistic, literary, mathematical, or other contributions I was taught at school as a teenager.  At least that's true at a general level: I didn't get down to details until I was university.

Edited by gcle2003 - 31-Mar-2008 at 16:18
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2008 at 16:32
Well, gcle, you are from an age of academic integrity where military psyops were not incorporated into elementary education (correct me if I am wrong).

I use a very blatant example of revisionism for illustration below, one which the institution cannot force through yet, no matter what it likes to think (but you can't blame the sleazy devils for trying, eh?); what I allude to above is more a crime of ommission rather than false revisionism as attempted below.

Iraq: teachers told to rewrite history

MoD accused of sending propaganda to schools

Edited by Zagros - 31-Mar-2008 at 16:33
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Apr-2008 at 11:51
Originally posted by Zagros

Well, gcle, you are from an age of academic integrity where military psyops were not incorporated into elementary education (correct me if I am wrong).

I use a very blatant example of revisionism for illustration below, one which the institution cannot force through yet, no matter what it likes to think (but you can't blame the sleazy devils for trying, eh?); what I allude to above is more a crime of ommission rather than false revisionism as attempted below.

Iraq: teachers told to rewrite history

MoD accused of sending propaganda to schools

Deplorable, but I'll believe anything of the current UK government. However (a) it's a current political move and nothing to do with teaching history and (b) it's being admirably resisted by the teachers.
jewel View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote jewel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Apr-2008 at 18:24
i was wondering if martin luther was a friend or foe of Copernicus' work.
cause he said"This fool wants to turn the entire science of astronomy upside down!"
that does not sound very nice!
Jewel
Julius Augustus View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2008 at 07:00
one thing the arab did was preserve Greek and Persian knowledge. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-May-2008 at 14:30
Originally posted by Julius Augustus

Indeed. They also spread Indian (indian numbers, zero) and Chinese knowledge (paper) to the West.

But not only that, Arabs and muslim of the Middle Ages, developed new knowledge, particularly in mathematics (advances in algebra, trigonometry), mechanics (wind mill), physics (formulation of optics) but specially medicine (cauterizing, for instance).

Besides, people usually forget that Muslims and Christian (Ortodox and Roman) intellectuals were in close contact during the middle ages, and that wasn't strange that a Greek architect from Bizantium worked between the moors of Spain, or that European Christians ended up counseling in Bagdad. And because those contacts, Europe has a chance to left the Middle Ages behind.

Middle Ages music, for instance, was heavily influenced by Arabs, and many of the most refined custums that changed Europe.

kafkas View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote kafkas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 00:00
You guys might find these 3 Turkish Muslim scientists interesting:

Ali Kuşçu

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ali_Ku%C5%9F%C3%A7u

Taqi al-Din

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taqi_al-Din

Ulugh Beg

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulugh_Beg

Edited by kafkas - 02-May-2008 at 00:01
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 08:37

Originally posted by Julius Augustus

Indeed. They also spread Indian (indian numbers, zero) and Chinese knowledge (paper) to the West.

But not only that, Arabs and muslim of the Middle Ages, developed new knowledge, particularly in mathematics (advances in algebra, trigonometry), mechanics (wind mill), physics (formulation of optics) but specially medicine (cauterizing, for instance).

Besides, people usually forget that Muslims and Christian (Ortodox and Roman) intellectuals were in close contact during the middle ages, and that wasn't strange that a Greek architect from Bizantium worked between the moors of Spain, or that European Christians ended up counseling in Bagdad. And because those contacts, Europe has a chance to left the Middle Ages behind.

Middle Ages music, for instance, was heavily influenced by Arabs, and many of the most refined custums that changed Europe.

I believe Zheng he needed Arab Sailors because they perfected the compass. by the way, I think the Persians did the same during the time of the Sassanids, a university was established.
Earl
Earl

Quote Julius Augustus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-May-2008 at 08:40
Ulugh is half persian I believe or two thirds.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 9>