Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Contributions Of Islamic Knowledge to The world

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Contributions Of Islamic Knowledge to The world
    Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 16:35
Here is a quote from
http://www.oud.gr/music_arabe.htm

which should put the kibosh on the idea that putting frets on the oud instantly transforms it into a European instrument:

Originally posted by http://www.oud.gr/music_arabe.htm

One of the most prolific contributors [to Arab music theory] was Abu Nasr al-Farabi (died 950), whose Kitab al-Musiqa al-Kabir, The Grand Treatise on Music, is an encompassing work. It discusses such major topics as the science of sound, intervals, tetrachords, octave species, musical instruments, compositions, and the influence of music. Al-Farabi provided a lute fretting that combined the basic diatonic arrangement of Pythagorean intervals with additional frets suited for playing two newly introduced neutral, or microtonal, intervals. Al-Farabi also described two types of tunbur, or long-necked fretted lute, each with a different system of frets: an old Arabian type whose frets produced quarter-tone intervals, and another type attributed to Khorasan with intervals based on the limma and comma subdivisions of the Pythagorean whole-tone. Discussions on the phenomenon of sound, the dissonants and the consonants, lute fretting, and references to melodic modes by specific names are also found in the writings of the famous philosopher and physician Ibn Sina, or Avicenna, (died 1037.)

There is another possibility to consider with regard to the use of frets on the oud, and that is that they may have arisen as a training device. The accomplished professional, in this scenario, would not use frets because of the superior expressive possibilities of an un-fretted melodic instrument, but the amateur or the beginning student, lacking the ear to accurately place the pitches on the un-fretted instrument, might have had frets placed by the teacher to help develop the ear. As we know, the frets were alway movable on early fretted instruments. It didn't become necessary to use fixed metal frets until the development of metal-overwound bass strings in the late 18th century, which would cut the traditional tied gut frets.

(The exception to this is that there were wire-strung citterns / gitterns in northern Europe in the 16th century. These arose to take advantage of 16th century German metal-working technology, and they had fixed frets. The VERY interesting thing about the cittern / gittern class is that they were NOT always fretted chromatically, but rather (as a general rule) with a diatonic pattern similar to the modern Mountain Dulcimer, or sometimes with a partial pattern of chromatic frets and half-frets. Thus they were constructed to play in specific keys and modes. This emphatically reflects the world-wide practice of basing the mode on the overtones of the low bass strings as is true with the oud; it was the lute/vihuela practice of the 16th century with its chromatic fretting system that opened up the theoretical possibility of playing in 12 keys, but the existing evidence of the printed lute literature indicates that this was NOT a common practice although it was theoretically known - no, I don't have a citation for this last comment right now, sorry.Dead)
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Jun-2008 at 04:48
I'd like to offer some observations in support of the position of "pinguin" aka Omar,

First: to a non-musician it may not be at all obvious, but there is an assumption among
many modern musicians that the presence of frets on an instrument implies the use of
modern equal-tempered tuning, which then presents itself as (apparently) a decisive gap between western and eastern musics. However, until the 18th century CE, the frets on fretted instruments were movable. At some point in my recent reading, perhaps from a link in this thread, I read an excerpt from a 15th century CE Spanish/Arab lutenist or guitarist about the necessity of adjusting the frets properly to fit the mode of the melody. This would certainly be necessary in order to play maqams (Arabic and Turkish modes) on an oud with frets. It is also desirable for musicians who want to tune their instruments in older temperaments, and who are not using modern harmonic structures. My feeling is that there were several centuries of transitional practice after fitting frets to the oud, during which there was a gradual increase in the use of the more modern harmonies that now require fixing the frets. 13th and 14th century counterpoint practice does not appear to be a style that would have worked well on a solo lute, although two or three lutes together could certainly play compositions from that period, and to my knowledge there is no solo lute music from that period. There is no printed lute music earlier than the 16th century CE, but some of this 16th Century lute music (Hans Neusidler) is sometimes very much like oud music, having a single melody and using the bass strings as drones. It seems pretty likely (to me as a guitarist who has played some of the lute repertory) that the practice of counterpoint on the lute didn't arise until the 15th century, and that the precursor to that practice would have been the use of organum-like parallel melodies on two strings (again, this is an idea that I found in following the links in your thread.)

2nd point: To me as a guitarist, it is not at all obvious that there is a clear distinction between the guitar, the oud and the lute. The famous medieval Spanish picture showing the "guitarra latina" and the "guitarra morisca" shows that the same word was applied to both instruments, as the guitarra latina is obviously guitar-like and the guitarra morisca is obviously an oud. Given the meaning of the root word "tar" meaning string, and the number-prefixes ektar, dotar, setar, sitar, etc which are common in Persia and India, and the use of the two variants of Greek "kithara" to describe two different stringed instruments neither of which was a modern guitar, and the several European variants such as "cittern" and "gittern" which were applied to round-bodied guitar-like instruments, there is no reason to believe that the word guitar had as specific a meaning in ancient times as it does today. Instead, I believe that it meant generically "stringed instrument". The actual distinction in medieval times was, I believe, between bowed and plucked instruments, and the modern guitar is a hybrid of these: the incurved sides are the remains of the indentations to allow use of the bow. Hence the 16th Century Spanish use of the word "vihuela" and the modern Portuguese word "violao" - both meaning "violin-family-instrument" - for guitar.

3rd: The argument that musical techniques accompanied the transmission of poetic forms from Arab Spain to the Provencal troubadors seems convincing enough to me. To me as a musician there is no reason to doubt that the poetic forms were closely associated with musical forms which would correctly support the metrical structure of the poem. Many ancient schools of poetry from Homer to the Irish bards were apparently intended to be sung, and the musical style would have been transmitted directly with the poetry rather than re-invented afresh with each generation, although obviously it would have evolved just as languages do. So the probability that the descendants of the Ziryab school directly influenced the course of European music through the music of Provencal does not seem far-fetched to me. However, this is just my opinion, of course.

4th: It has always been a puzzle to me why the medieval Catholic system of church modes was so simplistic, when the Arabic / Turkish maqams and the Hindustani raga, both modal systems, are so amazingly complex. My answer has been that the Catholic church (1) needed a really dumbed-down system so that the monks would not have to spend years learning it, and (2) that they regarded music with deep suspicion and were reluctant to allow it to be learned in detail. So I have come to the belief that the early Catholic church actively suppressed musical knowledge just as they did many other areas of inquiry, and that fresh input was probably required from somewhere in order to stimulate the musical development of the late middle ages and Renaissance. (Although the church was a major patron of European art music for centuries, it was always very conservative in its support, never in favor of innovation but reluctantly accepting developments.)

It is an acknowledged fact in India that the northern Hindustani musical style is a hybrid of Hindu and Muslim cultural influences, so again it doesn't seem to me to be terribly unlikely that the same thing occurred on the frontiers of Europe. The existence of the Hindustani solfege syllables Sa - Re - Ga - Ma - Pa - Dha - Ni - Sa are very similar to the European series, and Hindustani music developed in the Mogul courts and began its divergence from the South Indian Karnatic style under the influence of Muslim invasions beginning in the 12th Century CE. (It could be argued that the syllables were introduced by the British invaders much later, but this is to ignore Hindustani musical tradition which traces the existence of specific musical schools back at least to the 16th century CE.)

5: The question of the influence of Turkish music on 18th and 19th century European musicians appears to me to be an entirely separate issue, and it's well documented anyway. It's a completely different set of parameters than the question of Muslim influence in the late middle ages.

6: Regarding the co-existence of the lute, oud and guitar in medieval Spain but not in Renaissance Spain: The lute was the pre-eminent instrument in northern Europe in the sixteenth century, but not in Spain, although it had been present there before. Why? IMO, it was because playing a lute / oud in Spain after 1492 was likely to get a musician burned at the stake on suspicion of being a Muslim. Everybody started playing the vihuela instead - with the exact same tuning and techniques as were used for the LUTE in the rest of Europe! We're looking at the results of a political change here, not a musical change. Over the seven hundred or so years of Muslim presence in Spain, musical styles had as much opportunity to evolve as did language, which evolved considerably. Considering how much music has changed from the time of Luis Milan and Alonso Mudarra to the time of Al DiMeola and Paco de Lucia, there was plenty of time for the style of Ziryab to evolve to the style of Luis Milan. There was also plenty of time for Ziryab's influence to percolate through the rest of Europe along with the transmission of Greek texts translated through the Arabic and so on. Music has the misfortune of being poorly documented - perhaps because of its demotion from a science to an art in Catholic Europe.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 19:51
Originally posted by pinguin

Originally posted by gcle2003

...There are pre-Arab oud/lute-like instruments. But I accept that the lute derived from the oud, converted to Western needs.

Thanks! At least we agree in something, and you accepted an arab influence in the pool of europeans instruments.
I never denied it. Even the name 'lute' is derived from 'al-oud'.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 15:33

...There are pre-Arab oud/lute-like instruments. But I accept that the lute derived from the oud, converted to Western needs.

Thanks! At least we agree in something, and you accepted an arab influence in the pool of europeans instruments.

Edited by pinguin - 13-May-2008 at 15:34
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 14:34
Thanks, Chilbudios Embarrassed
Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 13:16

my own site http://www.cleverley.org/translations/spanish/villasandino.html 
Some of the translations are so beautiful ... Thumbs%20Up
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-May-2008 at 12:07

Agreed.

However, the point about Arabs influencing western music is standing still.

(1) We agree there was some influences in the introduction of new instruments, that become frettered in the west (oud --> lute, for example)
Nope. The evidence is that the oud had to be converted to the lute before you could (easily) play European music on it. This shows no Arab influence on European music at all. Music is not determined by the instruments you play it on: if anything it's the other way around: your music determines what instruments you use.

The oud->lute transition is evidence that Arab music did NOT influence European medieval music. (Other wise they could have stuck with the oud.)

With all the due respect, please read. I meant influences in the pools of instruments, I didn't say in music! The lute is a frettered oud, and the oud is arab. So the lute has an Arab influence, or better an arab ancestry, no matter music -perhaps- don't have that origin.
I guess I muddled up my threads. It was in the other one that you claimed that Arab music influenced medieval music.

There are pre-Arab oud/lute-like instruments. But I accept that the lute derived from the oud, converted to Western needs.

(2) We agree there was some influences in elements that sourround music (the lifestyle of the troubadours, for instance, with poetry included)
Nope. My position there is that I don't know about the influence on poetry.

I doubt that because I have further data.
What 'further data' do you have that can be possibly relevant to what I know or don't know? You're reading my mind now? Don't be absurd.
 However, I will pass in this point now to simplify the topic. In fact, I have seen studies that claim that even Dante and other authors copied arab stories, for example. And I hardly doubt that's possible. In fact, if you can imitate arab surgery, it is a lot more easy to imitate arab literature or arts. Again, this is something obvious in Spain, so watch out for Spanish influences as well.
M.L.Gasparov's authoritative 'History of European Versification' doesn't even mention Arab or Islamic influence, as far as I can see. It's certainly not indexed. That's primarily why I say 'I don't know' about verse.

There are of course European, especially Spanish, poems with themes that mention Arabs (cf on my own site http://www.cleverley.org/translations/spanish/villasandino.html ) but the fact that, e.g., Villasandino admired a Moorish lady doesn't mean his verse is Moorish.

I wouldn't agree that it is harder to imitate surgery than it is to imitate literature or the arts. For a poet or artist it might be, but not for a surgeon. Depends how good you are at the basic disciplines. However the population at large is more likely to want surgery imitated because the benefits are obvious and important, whereas who cares whether a poet writed a villanelle or a sonnet.

But leave it there. Focus on music, please.

You can't transcribe Arab music into any Western system known before the 20th century[1]. There just aren't any conventions for expressing Arab melodies, because there was never any need for them.

[1] Possibly the 19th. Possibly not even the 20th. But certainly not in the middle ages.

With all the due respect, once again, music is not rocket or nuke science.
Of course. That's the point. Music is much more personal and subjective, and you grow up exposed to it as a child. When you're an infant no-one recites equations at you to send you to sleep, they sing to you. And the kind of music you appreciate depends on what you hear as a child and adolescent. It's very difficult to appreciate exotic music properly when you are older (except where the exotic music, like Chinese or Japanese or African, is much simpler than your own). Complex musical forms like European or Arab or Indian music is much harder to appreciate emotionally, even if you can get to grips with it intellectually. 
If you can put drumming of tribal africa or polynesia, or the very simple native american music in movies, together with orchestration, I found very difficult to believe it is impossible to imitate, or at least comming close, to an arab tune with the western system. In fact, as a Spanish speaker, perhaps I am too acustum to see arab art and arab music that I don't notice much difference between both worlds.

Well, we know you're insensitive to musical differences. Otherwise you wouldn't have made that silly comparison to rocket science. Anyway, why would being a Spanish speaker have anything to do with it?

It's because African music is simple that it is so easy to assimilate (not just the drumming, but melodically too). It's because Arabic music is so complex (from a European point of view) that it's difficult to appreciate that no-one developed a Western notation for it.

All musics go through similar stages of development. They all at some point reach a basic pentatonic stage: this is inherent in the very structure of music itself. So any music that remains at that level will be widely appreciated (and of course notated). Past that however there are many ways in which more sophisticated developments can go, and from them on they become less and less mutually intelligible.

Edited by gcle2003 - 13-May-2008 at 12:09
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 22:04

Agreed.

(1) We agree there was some influences in the introduction of new instruments, that become frettered in the west (oud --> lute, for example)
Nope. The evidence is that the oud had to be converted to the lute before you could (easily) play European music on it. This shows no Arab influence on European music at all. Music is not determined by the instruments you play it on: if anything it's the other way around: your music determines what instruments you use.

The oud->lute transition is evidence that Arab music did NOT influence European medieval music. (Other wise they could have stuck with the oud.)

With all the due respect, please read. I meant influences in the pools of instruments, I didn't say in music! The lute is a frettered oud, and the oud is arab. So the lute has an Arab influence, or better an arab ancestry, no matter music -perhaps- don't have that origin.

(2) We agree there was some influences in elements that sourround music (the lifestyle of the troubadours, for instance, with poetry included)
[/QUOTE]

I doubt that because I have further data. However, I will pass in this point now to simplify the topic. In fact, I have seen studies that claim that even Dante and other authors copied arab stories, for example. And I hardly doubt that's possible. In fact, if you can imitate arab surgery, it is a lot more easy to imitate arab literature or arts. Again, this is something obvious in Spain, so watch out for Spanish influences as well.

But leave it there. Focus on music, please.

You can't transcribe Arab music into any Western system known before the 20th century[1]. There just aren't any conventions for expressing Arab melodies, because there was never any need for them.

[1] Possibly the 19th. Possibly not even the 20th. But certainly not in the middle ages.

With all the due respect, once again, music is not rocket or nuke science. If you can put drumming of tribal africa or polynesia, or the very simple native american music in movies, together with orchestration, I found very difficult to believe it is impossible to imitate, or at least comming close, to an arab tune with the western system. In fact, as a Spanish speaker, perhaps I am too acustum to see arab art and arab music that I don't notice much difference between both worlds.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 21:03

Agreed.

Incidentally the collaborators on the Massins' textbook Histoire de la Musique Occidentale express their surprise at the lack of influence of Arab literature and music on Europeans, even in Spain, 'while we know that the work of epistemologists and philosophers was considerably advanced by the considerable support given to the Western world by Arab sciences and thought.'

So - no reluctance to give credit where credit is actually due, but readiness to accept the facts even when the facts are 'surprising'. Personally I don't even think it was surprising: music is much more personal and local than science, mathematics and philosophy.

(3) We agree there is no melody or musical peace transcripted into the western cannon that can be traced without doubt to the arabic world. I am looking for some evidence either in favor or against it, and I'll come back.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 16:30
Agreed.

(3) We agree there is no melody or musical peace transcripted into the western cannon that can be traced without doubt to the arabic world. I am looking for some evidence either in favor or against it, and I'll come back.

gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 11:50

An article about Turkish musical influence on the West

And a list of musical pieces which are turk or western  that have turkish influence, according to the author of that article.

Many of these pieces I already mentioned. They don't amount to a major influence on the development of Western music and indeed there are reservations like the comment on Betthoven's Ninth:
The repeated unison note that announces the beginning of the march may be a variation on Rice’s "initial rhythm" or a suggestion of a trumpet call, but the melody stays in the major key and is harmonized, and countermelodies added, in traditional Western style.
There 'may be' a variation, there may be a 'suggestion' - not exactly strong language. But as he points out the melody stays in the major, and has harmonies and countermelodies that are completely Western.
And, on Lully, he writes:
A bass drum and tamborine provide color at the beginning, but other musical elements do not suggest any portrayal of the exotic, other than some chanting and unison sing-shouting in the choral parts that sounds (to my ear) extremely parodic.
'Parodic' is what I meant by a thin 'imitation'.
On the Mozart concerto he writes (my emphasis):
The “Turkish” central section of the final movement, does switch to the minor and features stepwise motion when the melody is ornamented, contrasting with melodies with much greater leaps. No features of the rhythm, harmony, timbre, or texture seem to suggest the exotic. Personally, I disagree with both Head and Heartz on the contrast with the very-European minuet sections. The return to the minuet feels to me neither like a triumph or order over chaos or a return of the weak after the strong, but simply a “whew, that was a lot of fun, but it’s time to get back to the opening theme now”."

Again, there's an attempt to imitate Turkish music, but he keeps well within the European traditions.

The Brubeck is fairly well known, but it's no easy to spot: most of it is straight jazz. Brubeck is anyway well known for his experimentation with odd rhythms, as in Take Five.

Primarily though, no-one's denied some Turkish influence in modern music, and this has nothing to do with the original statements (or indeed with Arabs abd the Middle Ages - the period the forum is supposed to cover).

Peteratwar View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Peteratwar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 11:37
I really feel that religion of all sorts has been more of a hindrance than a help in advancing human existence. Individuals have been reponsible for discoveries and advancement, religion has largely been immaterial or as I have said a hindrance, see Galileo e.g. 
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-May-2008 at 02:35

An article about Turkish musical influence on the West

And a list of musical pieces which are turk or western  that have turkish influence, according to the author of that article.

Mehter music (Turkey: A Musical journey: Traditional Songs, Dances, and Rituals, EZGI Records as part of Nonesuch Records Explorer Series, 1975) Listening for the characteristics listed by Rice, noted the piercing timbre and homophonic texture of the zurnas, the strongly duple meter, and the cymbals and bass drum articulating the rhythm at the level of the beat, while a higher drum plays a rhythm subdividing the basic beat. The mode does sound minor to Western ears, but there were no noticeable shifts in mode. Rice’s "initial rhythm" of three strong notes at the level of the beat is very noticeable, as is the use of dotted rhythms.
Genç Osman ("Young Osman") Janissary March. (Turkey: Traditional Songs and Music collected & edited by Wolf Dietrich, Lyrichord Discs Inc.) This one did not begin with Rice’s "initial rhythm", but did also feature dotted rhythms. The melody in the zurnas (timbre and texture as expected) is very stepwise, with fast ornamental patterns. Again, the mode sounds minor, but there is no discernable change in mode. Both of these tunes featured short repeated sections, perhaps not long enough for modulations.
Beethoven, Ludwig van. Symphony no. 9 in D minor, op. 125. Ode to Freedom: (Bernstein in Berlin. Deutsche Grammophone, 1990.) The “Turkish march” section of the final movement features Turkische Musik percussion and a dotted-rhythm variation of the melody. Trumpet and piccolo are prominent timbres. The repeated unison note that announces the beginning of the march may be a variation on Rice’s "initial rhythm" or a suggestion of a trumpet call, but the melody stays in the major key and is harmonized, and countermelodies added, in traditional Western style.
Brubeck, Dave. "Blue Rondo a la Turk" Dave Brubeck Quartet: The Great Concerts. CBS Records Inc., 1968. The most noticeable feature of this jazz piece is the time signature, which alternates between 9/8 (in a traditional Turkish 2 + 2 + 2 + 3 pattern) on the head sections and a normal 4/4 American-jazz swing for the improvised sections. The melody is only a suggestion, not a close imitation, of Mozart’s. Sequencing is prominent, but is also a standard feature of jazz.
Haydn, Joseph. Symphony No. 100 in G major "Military". (Haydn: Symphonies Nos. 94 & 100 London Philharmonic Orchestra. The Decca Record Company Limited, 1984.) Triangle, cymbal, and bass drum are added to some sections of the second and fourth movements, near the end of each movement.
Lully, Jean-Baptiste. La Ceremonie des Turcs from Le Bourgeois Gentilhomme. (Lully – Moliere: les Comedies-Ballets, Marc Minkowski. Erato-Disques, 1988.) A bass drum and tamborine provide color at the beginning, but other musical elements do not suggest any portrayal of the exotic, other than some chanting and unison sing-shouting in the choral parts that sounds (to my ear) extremely parodic. There is one short, very interesting section at the center of this piece (and which returns near the end) in which the “exotic” percussion is added again, dotted rhythms are featured, and a complex series of syncopations manages to strongly suggest irregular meter.
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus. Concerto No. 5 in A Major, K. 219. (Mozart: Die 5 Violinkonzerte U. A. Perlman/ wiener Philharmoniker/Levine, Polydor International, 1983) The “Turkish” central section of the final movement, does switch to the minor and features stepwise motion when the melody is ornamented, contrasting with melodies with much greater leaps. No features of the rhythm, harmony, timbre, or texture seem to suggest the exotic. Personally, I disagree with both Head and Heartz on the contrast with the very-European minuet sections. The return to the minuet feels to me neither like a triumph or order over chaos or a return of the weak after the strong, but simply a “whew, that was a lot of fun, but it’s time to get back to the opening theme now”. Reactions to the music seem to be too personal to draw any conclusions about Mozart’s intentions.
Mozart, Wolfgang Amadeus. Sonata No. 11 in A major K. 331. (Mozart: Sonatas – Vol. I, Malcolm Bilson – Fortepiano. Hungaroton, 1989) The third movement, Alla Turca, exhibits a great deal of sequencing. Although the sonata is in A major, the minor mode is prominent, and there are sudden "unprepared" shifts in the key center. Although Western tonality is not abandoned, the melody is often a single line or octaves, without thirds to “sweeten” it for the Western ear, and the accompaniment is persistently rhythmic and at times very percussive.
Rameau, Jean-Philippe. Les Indes Galantes 1st entrée: Le Turc genereux. (Rameau – Les Indes Galantes: Les Arts Florissants William Christie. Harmonia mundi, 1991) Likely because it is both early (premiered in 1735) and French, this “exotic” offering features some special-effects music depicting nature, but nothing at all that I can hear as being purposely Turkish. The possible exception is a prominent tamborine in the final scene, but there are many possible associations that the audience may have had with that instrument, as “exotic” but not necessarily specifically Turkish.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 20:22
Originally posted by Bulldog

Gcle2003
There was an influence, it was slight, and it had no permanent effect (apart from the importation of some rhythm instruments into the marching band and the orchestra).

The "Turkish style" was European composers incorporation of their interpretations of Turkish music.
I'd prefer to say that the 'Turkish style' was European composers' attempt to imitate Turkish music (especially marches) in a European musical framework, but that isn't very different. It reminds me of the music that is played on steel guitars 'Hawaiian style' that isn't really Hawaiian.
There were fads were this musical style was popular and influential while in other periods this was diminished.

However, there were some key, lasting influences.

- The millitary bands
 - The incorporation of the Bass Drum, Cymbol and Triangle in European classical orchastres
 - The music style, "Turkish music"

There were marching bands before the Turkish fad began. And I don't think 'Left...Left...Left,Right,Left' as a rhythm to march to is particularly a Turkish invention. But yes, some instruments were introduced to the bands (and the orchestra) as I've already agreed.

Incidentally, by 'Turkish' here don't we really mean specifically 'Ottoman'?

Edited by gcle2003 - 11-May-2008 at 20:30
ulrich von hutten View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Court Jester

Quote ulrich von hutten Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 16:19

Oh lord! You are going to deny Turkish influences in Europe, now. That would be fun to read. I just watch

Not only that you have he mission to enlighten the rest of the world about the latin american role, now you are a fighter for the islamic world, aswell. Respect man....

Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 16:16
Gcle2003
There was an influence, it was slight, and it had no permanent effect (apart from the importation of some rhythm instruments into the marching band and the orchestra).

The "Turkish style" was European composers incorporation of their interpretations of Turkish music.

There were fads were this musical style was popular and influential while in other periods this was diminished.

However, there were some key, lasting influences.

- The millitary bands
 - The incorporation of the Bass Drum, Cymbol and Triangle in European classical orchastres
 - The music style, "Turkish music"

What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 16:12
I will take a break from this thread now. If I ever found the holly grail tune that show you European musicians copied arab music directly I'll come back.
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 15:40

Oh lord! You are going to deny Turkish influences in Europe, now. That would be fun to read. I just watch

You are incapable of reading anything, aren't you?

I didn't deny it, I said it was limited to a rather thin imitation. Which is true. Listen to proper Turkish music and then listen to Mozart's piano sonata no 11 imitating it and it's obvious.

And I gave a link which explains (with illustrations) the situation.

And, anyway none of that has anything to do with Arab music and medieval European music.

Edited by gcle2003 - 11-May-2008 at 15:42
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 15:23
gcle2003 View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote gcle2003 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11-May-2008 at 15:19
Originally posted by Bulldog

"Musical" contribution arguments typically end up in controversy LOL

Spanish music regarding instruments definately has some Arab influence for example the flamengo guitar and oud are pretty similar.
We went into the guitar/oud thing at some length here. They look vaguely alike but in detail they belong to different instrumental families. Instruments with a soundbox and a neck with plucked strings are almost world-wide, including Africa (I showed some pictures) and China/Japan (biwa, shamisen). The modern guitar goes back (as far as we went in the discussion here) to a similar instrument known to be around in early Indo-European (Hittite) times, but from Europe it goes back through Rome and Greece.

From China and Japan the instrument may also go back to Indo-European origins, possibly via Turkish contacts, but it seems to me that it was yet another instrumental family that emerged spontaneously in various areas at various times. There's certainly no way it was brought to China by the Arabs.
However, I think "Gcle2003" is referring to the actual musical system of Europe not having an Arab influence.

This also leads to the question, what is "European" music? I guess you mean European classical music. However, this form is not shared across Europe, for example the Balkans is pretty distinct.
I suppose I meant the music of those parts of Europe that were Christian (Orthodox or Roman). Somewhere along the line I said I was not talking about areas which were dominated by the Arabs. But I would be including what we know of music in pre-Christian Europe, especially folk music.

In the period we were originally concerned with music was primarily either religious or popular and classical music with its emphasis on harmonic structures hadn't emerged yet.

Also if your discussing Muslim-Christian(Europe) musical influences on each other I would also recommend observing the interactions with Turkish music. The millitary bands were a concept the Turks bought with them from Central Asia and is often considered the earliest, still existing example of its kind. The music of these bands became very popular across Europe to the extent that the "bass drum", "cymbol" and "triangle" were adopted into the classical symphany orchestras were they remain to this day. In addition to this a musical style called, "Turkish music (style)" was developed and came to represent a certain kind of rythm. This was used by well known composers such as Mozart, Beethoven, Haydn etc.
The Western millitary bands borrowed from their Turkish coutnerparts.
There was undoubtedly a fashion among Romantic (for the most part) composers to set works in an Eastern setting. I already mentioned Il Seraglio for instance and there are two (at least) Liszt pieces which have Turque or alla turca in their title. And of course there's the Mozart piano sonata. But these are really rather thin imitations, and there's nothing more thoroughly European really than a piano sonata.
The wikipedia discussion is quite reasonable:
"Turkish music", in the sense described here, is not really music of Turkey, but rather a musical style that was occasionally used by the European composers of the Classical music era. This music was modeled — though often only distantly — on the music of Turkish military bands, specifically the Janissary bands.
Ofcourse this was two way traffic, the Ottomans later adopted European elements as well but I wanted to keep with the topic.

Edited by gcle2003 - 11-May-2008 at 15:20
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>