Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Sino-Hella civilization

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Kids View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Kids Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sino-Hella civilization
    Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 19:55
What do you think if the Greek culture have chance to interact with the Chinese culture?

Culture I meant including philosophy, politics.....

I know both Han and Rome were the two most sophisticated civilizations on Earth at that time..............
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 20:11
They did in the 600/700s, there were a few Greek priest type guys hanging out in Chang'an.
Arrrgh!!"
Scytho-Sarmatian View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Scytho-Sarmatian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 05:37
What about the old gold route between the Greek Black Sea colony of Olbia and the Central Asian borders of China?  The time frame was around the 8th-5th centuries B.C.(?)  See Botsford's and Robinson's Hellenic History for more information.
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 06:09

I know both Han and Rome were the two most sophisticated civilizations on Earth at that time..............

Of course after Persia!

Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 16:31

Hellenic words-Chinese words

patari               ban daor    (two level)

bourini          ;   bur en        (unbearable)

Cyklamenon   xian ke lai   (visitor from heven)

sourloulou       shunlu        (crazy girl)

zizanion        &nbs p; za         &nbs p;    (weed)

lera         &n bsp;      lei ren         (monkey)

babeses          ; babeizi       (tricky,cra fty)

goulia              gu liao        (little)

koumboura     kongbu        (terror)

maniakos       man         &nb sp;  (wild)

mangoura      magan         (stick)        

"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
Imperatore Dario I View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Imperatore Dario I Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Mar-2005 at 20:03
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Of course after Persia!

If sophistication is backwardness...

lol (DO NOT KILL ME IT'S A JOKE)

Let there be a race of Romans with the strength of Italian courage.- Virgil's Aeneid
Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Mar-2005 at 05:07
Of course Spartakous' comparison of words is a joke, plus many of the "greek" words in the list are not even greek to start with :-)))
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Spartakus View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
terörist

Quote Spartakus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 07:15
Originally posted by Yiannis

Of course Spartakous' comparison of words is a joke, plus many of the "greek" words in the list are not even greek to start with :-)))
"There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them. "
--- Joseph Alexandrovitch Brodsky, 1991, Russian-American poet, b. St. Petersburg and exiled 1972 (1940-1996)
druidebaron.nl View Drop Down
Janissary
Janissary

Quote druidebaron.nl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Mar-2005 at 17:01
Greek and Chinese philosophy do not seem very compatible.
Some distinctions:
Greek worldviews tended to justify equality and individuality Chinese worldviews tended toward ierarchy.
Chinese beliefs appealed to tradition, Greek beliefs had to appeal to justification from evidence and from principles of reason.
These distinctions, of course, are merely idealizations.
What the influence on either civilisation would have been if they would have met is very difficult to say. The problem is that China is so large it did not need to seek contact with other civilisations (for trade, to wage war etc.) and because of the natural barriers (mountains, jungle) it was also very difficult
Berosus View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Berosus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2005 at 06:44
I'm skeptical of any claims concerning Chinese contact with the West before Zhang Qian's expedition of 138-126 B.C.  He didn't expect to meet any other civilizations in Central Asia, after all, but he ended up stumbling on a Parthian outpost in the Ferghana valley, and learned about India when he got to Afghanistan.
Nothing truly great is achieved through moderation.--Prof. M.A.R. Barker
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 20:25

Of course after Persia

The majority of the world and I don't think so.

���DZj�~�� ��������
�� �� �C �q �D �� �� �� �� �T �� �� �g �A �� �� �� �� �� �U �N �� ��
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 20:27
Besides, during the Han dynasty, Imperial Confucianism promoted the loyalty to the Emperor and the respect for older people and government officials.

Edited by coolstorm
���DZj�~�� ��������
Gubook Janggoon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 21:00
Originally posted by coolstorm

Of course after Persia

The majority of the world and I don't think so.

Hmm...I tend not think that one cvilization is better than another...there are the few great ones who shine in history though, including the Chinese and Persians...

When Cyrus said it though, I think he was a bit more Joking than serious.
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 21:26

Hmm...I tend not think that one cvilization is better than another

being more sophisticated and being better are two different concepts.

���DZj�~�� ��������
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 22:03

Hmm...I tend not think that one cvilization is better than another

being more sophisticated and being better are two different concepts.

How so?
coolstorm View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote coolstorm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 22:47

A civilization can be more sophisticated than another.

It is not necessarily better.

���DZj�~�� ��������
Sultan
Sultan
Retired Global Moderator

Quote Gubook Janggoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Mar-2005 at 23:01

A civilization can be more sophisticated than another.

It is not necessarily better.

Well said, but the word sphoistication, at least in my book, tends to carry an air of superiority. 
oodog View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote oodog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Mar-2005 at 22:43
Originally posted by Spartakus

Hellenic words-Chinese words

patari               ban daor    (two level)

bourini          ; ;   bur en        (unbearable)

Cyklamenon   xian ke lai   (visitor from heven)

sourloulou       shunlu        (crazy girl)

zizanion        & ;nbs p; za         & ;nbs p;    (weed)

lera         &a mp;n bsp;      lei ren         (monkey)

babeses          ; ; babeizi       (tricky,cra fty)

goulia              gu liao        (little)

koumboura     kongbu        (terror)

maniakos       man         &am p;nb sp;  (wild)

mangoura      magan         (stick)        

I deeply doubt this comparison. The meaning of a Chinese word is largely based on the form of its script, the Chinese characters, while usually regardless its pronuciation. The writing system of Chinese language is completely different with the phoneticism that most nations in the world, inclding Greek have applied. But you can compare it to the numeral system. For example, the number "3" would have hundreds of pronunciation in different languages, yet its meaning remains the same. That is the reason why the ancient Korean, Japanese and Vienamese could borrow the Chinese characters serving as their writing marks, though the tongue of their language are considerably different with that of Chinese.

Likewise, even in China, people in different regions using different dialects have various pronouciation for the same Chinese words in your list, but they know the same meaning if it is written in Chinese charaters. Especially, the pronuniation of those word obviously is based on Mandarin, a tongue that was introduced to Chinese language not ealier that the 1200s, when the Greek influence had already faded out in the world for long.

Personally, i think the close pronunciation of these word between Greek and Chinese is just out of coincidence.  The same thing happens between English and Mandarin. The word "fly" sounds quite similar to the Chinese word "fei" which have the same meaning yet without any connection at their origin.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 10:39
Oodog, if you read above you'll see that this comparison was intended as a joke :-)
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Mar-2005 at 15:32

Greece: democracy

China: meristocracy.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>