Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Christians must be nonviolent --how?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Christians must be nonviolent --how?
    Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 18:10

Here is a nice topic of conversation

Most of the Christian world has adopted the doctrine of just war to justify the support and the fighting in wars. The Roman Catholic version of just war more or less says that under certain circumstances war is allowed. The cause of war must be just and there must be a possibility to win.

Interestingly, the doctrine of just war runs directly against what Jesus himself said:

38Ye have heard that it hath been said, An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth:

39But I say unto you, That ye resist not evil: but whosoever shall smite thee on thy right cheek, turn to him the other also.

40And if any man will sue thee at the law, and take away thy coat, let him have thy cloak also.

41And whosoever shall compel thee to go a mile, go with him twain.

42Give to him that asketh thee, and from him that would borrow of thee turn not thou away.

43Ye have heard that it hath been said, Thou shalt love thy neighbour, and hate thine enemy.

44But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;

45That ye may be the children of your Father which is in heaven: for he maketh his sun to rise on the evil and on the good, and sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust.

46For if ye love them which love you, what reward have ye? do not even the publicans the same?

47And if ye salute your brethren only, what do ye more than others? do not even the publicans so?

48Be ye therefore perfect, even as your Father which is in heaven is perfect.

Moreover, just war also runs counter to the historical early Church. Early Christians believed that one must not engage in war. Soldiers who converted would leave their arms.

I dont think that there is much of a discussion on whether those who aspire to a true Christian life must be nonviolentJesus himself ordered us to be so.

Lets turn this conversation on practical matters and discuss how we can actually achieve this.
Justinian View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
King of Númenor

Quote Justinian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Oct-2007 at 20:34
Though the early christians could easily get riled up into a mob and destroy pagan institutions like temples/libraries etc.Angry  Unless you are taking about the very early christians- like during the principate when they were persecuted by the majority pagans.  Then I agree.

Obviously maintaining non-violence is extremely difficult.  I think it starts with the mind set.  One has to love thy neighbor and those that hate thee.  Then simply advancing from there.  That is so difficult it usually doesn't go beyond that.  Then there is the question of if and when to defend yourself.  That is quite the conundrum(sp.?).  It depends on how "christian" one wants to be.  Does one want to be a true christian that is completely passive turning the other cheek etc.  Or an almost christian, where one does not engage in offensive action but defends oneself or one's family when attacked.  I've noticed most people are unwilling to follow the first.  Its the latter most follow, and then consider themselves "good christians" in essence almost christians. 

So... there is a start anyway.Smile 
"War is a cowardly escape from the problems of peace."--Thomas Mann

SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 06:14
Originally posted by hugoestr

The cause of war must be just and there must be a possibility to win.

If you dont have the possibility of winning, but do have the just cause of war, you don't fight? I don't feel any religion will teach cowardice. Discretion is the better part of valour in real life, not in religious philosophy.

Edited by SuN. - 01-Nov-2007 at 06:14
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 13:56
Even if there is no hope of winning you still fight! You fight to the end, and you take as many of the enemy screaming into hell with you as possible.
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 14:02
Sun,

Nonviolence is courage. It takes a huge amount of courage to pull it out. After all, in key moments, you know that you will be hurt or even die, and you must restrain your impulse to strike back . This takes a huge amount of active participation.

I will address more of your point with the answer to Justinian

Justinian,

Jesus didn't go too much into the topic of self-defense, but Gandhi did. This is a major issue in nonviolence. What Gandhi got to was that if your life was truly at stake, it was okay to fight, but only if all other circumstances were exhausted. In his entire public life he never got to that point.

Ghandi also said that he rather that people defend themselves violently with courage than they behave as cowards. And in a famous letter to a child who was bullied who told him that he felt that he lost his honor, he told him that he was justified in striking back once he lost his self-respect, but that he shouldn't have lost his self-respect first.

There is also a Quaker anecdote about how a new convinced was a soldier and ask for how long he should carry his sword. The answer was that he should carried it until he didn't feel that he needed it.

Finally, I am talking about the very early Christians , back before they became the official religion and were still a minority
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 14:03
Originally posted by Adalwolf

Even if there is no hope of winning you still fight! You fight to the end, and you take as many of the enemy screaming into hell with you as possible.
I believe that self-defense is justified under the doctrine. I got to check if self-defense in a hopeless situation is allowed though.
Adalwolf View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Adalwolf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 15:00
How could self-defense not be allowed even if it is hopeless? Dying while protecting your loved ones is the most noble sacrifice someone can make. Anything saying otherwise is just flat out wrong. You don't roll over and let yourself or your loved ones be butchered. 
Concrete is heavy; iron is hard--but the grass will prevail.
     Edward Abbey
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 17:22
Besides Jesus was not a coward.

He used violence to throw away the merchants from the Temple...

Christianism teaches peace, indeed, but also courage and self respect. It teaches to resist torture and death for the cause of justice.

In short: don't start wars but if they do, defend yourself.

Edited by pinguin - 01-Nov-2007 at 17:22
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 17:34

How could self-defense not be allowed even if it is hopeless? Dying while protecting your loved ones is the most noble sacrifice someone can make. Anything saying otherwise is just flat out wrong. You don't roll over and let yourself or your loved ones be butchered. 

I would agree, Adalwolf. Christ himself said to lay down one's own life for a friend, is the greatest love. (John 15:13)

As far as violence is concerned, I would disagree with you Hugo. Of course you were correct in quoting the Sermon on the Mount, but elsewhere in the Bible we see the governing bodies receive legitamicy for violence in the prospect of peace.  

"For he is the minister of God to thee for good. But if thou do that which is evil, be afraid; for he beareth not the sword in vain: for he is the minister of God, a revenger to execute wrath upon him that doeth evil." (Romans 13:4)

In Luke 3:14, we also see John the Baptist permitting the soldiers, whos job it was to institute the Pax Romana, to keep their jobs.

I would definately say that this is a controversial subject between not only non-christians and christians but also between christians themselves.

The Just War Doctrine was originally pened during the time that Christianity was newly legalized and was receiving converts openly so naturally such a doctrine should be set in place.

I believe its a very "moral" way to conduct war,.........if that makes any sense Big%20smile
Be a servant to all, that is a quality of a King.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 18:30
Hi, Arch Buff,

Let me respectfully disagree with you here. Pauls epistles are a genre unto themselves. We must remember that he wrote letters to the different Churches addressing their conditions. It seems, by the context, that there was a disagreement about whether should Christians obey authorities and pay taxes. The context of the quote says that you should.

However, early Christians, Paul included, understood that this submission to authority only went so far. We should remember that Christians were persecuted because they wouldnt participate in the official religion. It wasnt that the Romans believed in it but that they considered participation in these ceremonies what we would call today a loyalty oath. It meant that you were a good loyal Roman subject. So the living interpretation of this passage seems to have been being obedient to the government until it ran across your faith, which is the moment when one must take a strong stand.

Furthermore, the next section of chapter 13 says:

Originally posted by NIV

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"[a] and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

As for Luke 3:14, this is the quote from the King James Version:

14And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

It seems that the meaning is quite consistent with what Jesus said

Which to me it seems insists on the teaching on Jesus for love and nonviolence.

Moreover, justifications for wars in the Old Testament have dubious validity after the New Testament. And even if Paul did endorse war, we are Christians, not Paulists. Whatever commandment Jesus gave outweighs Paul, John, and the rest of the writers of the New Testament.

I dont think that there is a lot of controversy on this issue: Jesus clearly said that we shouldnt respond violence in kind. It is one of the clearest passages of the Gospels, where Jesus is speaking in a clear language and literally giving a command to his followers.

But I agree with you that it does seem mind blowing when you begin to read it not as a nice suggestion but as a command. It is quite amazing when one reads it and realizes that Jesus actually meant it. It is even more amazing when Jesus made this point before in a different way, when he says,

Originally posted by KJV

Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

So even just being angry, violence of intention, is committing a wrong that can put one in peril of judgment.
You dont have to answer right away. Read it and think about.
I came to the conclusion that Jesus meant it literally when I read about a soldier in Iraq who became a born again Christian, read the Sermon of the Mount and realized that he it is meant to be literal. Before that it hadnt occurred to me either.

P.S. Just War IS better than unrestrain war, but no war, as Jesus commanded, outranks Just War.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 18:35

I didn't say that it is not allowed. I said that I don't know if it is or not.

The problem is that fighting a hopeless war could be a way of committing suicide, which is wrong according to Christianity.

I will check wiki and then come back with the answer.

Edit:

Came back. Here are the conditions as they are found in wikipedia:

Just cause
    The reason for going to war needs to be just and can therefore be recapturing things taken or punishing people who have done wrong. A contemporary view of just cause was expressed in 1993 when the US Catholic Conference said: "Force may be used only to correct a grave, public evil, i.e., aggression or massive violation of the basic human rights of whole populations."
Comparative justice
    While there may be rights and wrongs on all sides of a conflict, to override the presumption against the use of force, the injustice suffered by one party must significantly outweigh that suffered by the other. Theorists such as Brian Orend omit this term, seeing it as fertile ground for exploitation by bellicose regimes.
Legitimate authority
    Only duly constituted public authorities may use deadly force or wage war
Right intention
    Force may be used only in a truly just cause and solely for that purposecorrecting a suffered wrong is considered a right intention, while material gain or maintaining economies is not.
Probability of success
    Arms may not be used in a futile cause or in a case where disproportionate measures are required to achieve success;
Last resort
    Force may be used only after all peaceful and viable alternatives have been seriously tried and exhausted.

(Note: these are only the most typical conditions cited by just war theorists.)

Edited by hugoestr - 01-Nov-2007 at 18:39
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 19:43
Good to see this ^ reminder and inclination towards peace.

I do have a few questions. Many actually, but a couple for now.

In Mark, chapter 9 of the New Testament, Jesus talks about helping children in the name of the one who sent him. Miracles in Jesus name are to be appreciated. Later we have passages where he advocates 'cutting off of hands' and other limbs and vital organs that have sinned in order to avoid hell. On one hand we have an altruistic Jesus. Then this is followed by an aggressive policy, if taken literally, encourages self mutilation and violence with no guarantee of abstinance from sin. Though, supposedly, Jesus death cleansed Christians from the 'original sin' and perhaps even future sins. Sounds contradictory. 

37 "Whoever welcomes one of these little children in my name welcomes me; and whoever welcomes me does not welcome me but the one who sent me." 38 "Teacher," said John, "we saw a man driving out demons in your name and we told him to stop, because he was not one of us." 39 "Do not stop him," Jesus said. "No one who does a miracle in my name can in the next moment say anything bad about me, 40 for whoever is not against us is for us.

41 I tell you the truth, anyone who gives you a cup of water in my name because you belong to Christ will certainly not lose his reward. 42 "And if anyone causes one of these little ones who believe in me to sin, it would be better for him to be thrown into the sea with a large millstone tied around his neck. 43 If your hand causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life maimed than with two hands to go into hell, where the fire never goes out. 45 And if your foot causes you to sin, cut it off. It is better for you to enter life crippled than to have two feet and be thrown into hell. 47 And if your eye causes you to sin, pluck it out. It is better for you to enter the kingdom of God with one eye than to have two eyes and be thrown into hell, 48 where "'their worm does not die, and the fire is not quenched.'

Eucharist

47 I tell you the truth, he who believes has everlasting life. 48 I am the bread of life. 49 Your forefathers ate the manna in the desert, yet they died. 50 But here is the bread that comes down from heaven, which a man may eat and not die. 51 I am the living bread that came down from heaven. If anyone eats of this bread, he will live forever. This bread is my flesh, which I will give for the life of the world." 52 Then the Jews began to argue sharply among themselves, "How can this man give us his flesh to eat?" 53 Jesus said to them, "I tell you the truth, unless you eat the flesh of the Son of Man and drink his blood, you have no life in you. 54 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood has eternal life, and I will raise him up at the last day. 55 For my flesh is real food and my blood is real drink. 56 Whoever eats my flesh and drinks my blood remains in me, and I in him. 57 Just as the living Father sent me and I live because of the Father, so the one who feeds on me will live because of me. 58 This is the bread that came down from heaven. Your forefathers ate manna and died, but he who feeds on this bread will live forever."

For some and many followers of the Catholic Church these verses, if taken literally, voids the spirit of Jesus/ message. However, is Jesus advocating cannabalism? Does the Vatican?

Is the Holy Eucharist a sacrament, that
after the consecration of the bread and wine in the Mass, in which
Jesus Christ, true God and true man, is really, truly, and
substantially present under the appearances of bread and
wine?

How does one try to be a good Christian in heart and soul when faced with such utterances from either the bible or the various Church doctrines one might take this to heart and act in accordance? Should good Christians resort to alcohol? What is the prupose of bread and wine?

Edited by Seko - 01-Nov-2007 at 19:46
JanusRook View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Ad Maiorem Dei Gloriam

Quote JanusRook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:27
Just war takes into consideration the grand scheme of things not just isolated acts of violence. Nothing exists separate from the word because we are all a part of the world. Innocents should not be forced to suffer for ideological pride. Which is one of the foundations of Just War. It would be the sin of sloth to sit back and allow martyrdom when something could be done to prevent it.

To try to act as if the natural world doesn't matter and only the supernatural has any validity is ridiculous, because we don't know the full truth about the supernatural. We can assume from Jesus sayings what we are to do to live a proper life, but even then we shouldn't trade non-violence for life, since life is greater than any sin we might commit.

All Jesus is saying in the "turn the other cheek" and "love thy enemies" comments. Is that we should aspire to forgive all slights, to not seek retribution, and treat all men as brothers. We must do this so that we can change not just the minds of men but their hearts as well, and the only way this can be done is to show how much nobler the path the righteous lead is. This is why it is sometimes necessary to meet violence with violence. For if the violence returned is done without malice and for the purpose of bringing our brothers back into the path of righteousness then any wrongs committed are outweighed by the rights achieved.

Mind you Just War has specific provisions that make any war unlikely to occur, and then most wars that begin as Just Wars fall prey to the machinations of those who don't believe in the concept. Nevertheless it must remain as the ruler from which the war is measured.
Economic Communist, Political Progressive, Social Conservative.

Unless otherwise noted source is wiki.
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:34
He, he. Funny Seko.

1. Mutilation Jesus
Most people seem to have interpreted that section as being a rhetorical point. There is actually an early Christian thinker that the Catholic Church denied him official sainthood because he took this part too literally--the liked girls too much, so... chop chop. Or so does the legend says.

2. Cannibalism

Yes, you are right: it makes no sense that Jesus gave himself as a sacrificial lamb only to be sacrificed at every mass.

Even worse: the Hebrew God had outlawed human sacrifice since... Abraham. So God demanding a human sacrifice to cleanse the sins of human makes no sense within the Jewish religion which Jesus belong, and to which he never renounced.

The cannibalistic Eucharist that we have today is probably a syncretic blend of the mystery cults that existed at the time of Christianity. These were popular at the time, and they had the themes of a God that self-sacrifices itself for humans in order to give them eternal life. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? There were some cannibalistic elements in them as well, at least in the cult of Dionysus if I remember correctly.

Here is the wiki article on the subject. Give yourself one point for every parallel with the common Jesus story that you find:

Dionysian mythology had a strong influence on the gospel, as Martin Hengel points out: "Dionysus had been at home in Palestine for a long time". But it was most likely not simply a "borrowed story", but rather a reaction to the commonly known Dionysian culture. There are especially many parallels between Dionysus and Jesus; both were born by a virgin mortal (although virgo was initially a social status, not a biological one),[citation needed] but fathered by the king of heaven, to have returned from the dead, to have transformed water into wine[citation needed] (the wine in antiquity was thicker than today, and usually mixed with water, otherwise it was as thick as blood; the parallels to John 2:8 are eg. Ovidius, Met. 3.690-691,[vague] and 6.488: "et Bacchus in auro ponitur" where the god is made identical with the wine) and to have been liberator of mankind. The modern scholar Barry Powell also argues that Christian notions of eating and drinking "the flesh" and "blood" of Jesus were influenced by the cult of Dionysus. Dionysus was also distinct among Greek gods, as a deity commonly felt within individual followers. In a less benign example of possible influence on Christianity, Dionysus' followers, as well as another god, Pan, are said to have had the most influence on the modern view of Satan as animal-like and horned.[22] Furthermore, it is worth noting that the story of Jesus turning water into wine is only found in the Gospel of John, which differs on many points from the other Synoptic Gospels. That very passage, a Bible commentator suggests, was incorporated into the Gospel from an earlier source focusing on Jesus' miracles.[23] John might also have referred in the marriage of Kana to Dionysus on purpose, in order to emphasize the legitimacy of Jesus, eg. by saying that Jesus could turn water into wine, which Dionysus never did (who, however, had invented wine pressing in the first place).[24

The Roman Church insisting that the bread and wine actually become the body and blood of Jesus must have been a political decision that made sense at the time but seems absurd today.

When it comes to Christianity, and most religions for that matter, we must remove a lot of layers of popular religion to get to the juicy ethical core.

Maybe we can start a thread called ask the Catholic so that we can answer those questions that we all wanted to know but were afraid to ask? I will do so
hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:53
Originally posted by JanusRook

Just war takes into consideration the grand scheme of things not just isolated acts of violence. Nothing exists separate from the word because we are all a part of the world. Innocents should not be forced to suffer for ideological pride. Which is one of the foundations of Just War. It would be the sin of sloth to sit back and allow martyrdom when something could be done to prevent it.To try to act as if the natural world doesn't matter and only the supernatural has any validity is ridiculous, because we don't know the full truth about the supernatural. We can assume from Jesus sayings what we are to do to live a proper life, but even then we shouldn't trade non-violence for life, since life is greater than any sin we might commit.All Jesus is saying in the "turn the other cheek" and "love thy enemies" comments. Is that we should aspire to forgive all slights, to not seek retribution, and treat all men as brothers. We must do this so that we can change not just the minds of men but their hearts as well, and the only way this can be done is to show how much nobler the path the righteous lead is. This is why it is sometimes necessary to meet violence with violence. For if the violence returned is done without malice and for the purpose of bringing our brothers back into the path of righteousness then any wrongs committed are outweighed by the rights achieved.Mind you Just War has specific provisions that make any war unlikely to occur, and then most wars that begin as Just Wars fall prey to the machinations of those who don't believe in the concept. Nevertheless it must remain as the ruler from which the war is measured.

Hi, Janus,

I basically agree with most of what you say. Yes, we shouldn't trade life for nonviolence. But not doing that necessarily means that we must use violence to protect life. Also, you covered an element that I believe Augustine said about the Christian soldier: he shouldn't enjoy killing or get caught up with emotions since he is only killing as his duty to the state.

I disagree with your position that sometimes it is necessary to meet violence with violence to correct people. Violence engenders more violence, since the lost of respect and suffering leads us to seek retribution. Feuds are the best example of this cycle of violence. Unfortunately it seems that ethnic groups and nations can also engage in feuding, with terrible results.

EXCEPT when it some to direct self-survival of oneself or our family. Then I become a Gandhian at that point.

Christian pacifism is hard work, but can't be that hard. After all, pacifism was the norm in Christianity until Constantine made it the official religion of the empire.

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 20:54
Granted I didn't know if I should have posted here or in the other thread, thanks for bearing with me.

One thing I gather from your response Hugo, with a bit of my ad libbing as well, is that certain passages should not be taken as matter of factly. Instead, the use symbolism and which are allegories to teach by, should lead to wisdom and a spritual growth when apparent literal interpretations are contrary to deeper thought.

The Dionysian cult does seem to have a lot in common with Christian practices/beliefs. I assume that further distances Christian doctrin from the messages that Jesus originally taught. To my understanding the belief,  'eating of Jesus' is not a biological act, nor a sensical interpretation. Instead it appears to highlight the importance of his way. The way of salavation through practicing the teachings of Jesus. Not any old bread of the forefathers but mana from heaven will suffice. Jesus was teaching us something by his allegory that leads to immmortatility (not die).

Politicization of religions appears to be inevitable with mankind. That is why I think a distortion of Christianity (as well as Islam and Judaism) from it's inititial form distorts the messages of the founders.

...ask the Catholic sounds like a good title for another thread.

Edited by Seko - 01-Nov-2007 at 21:08
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 21:53

Hi, Arch Buff,

Let me respectfully disagree with you here. Pauls epistles are a genre unto themselves. We must remember that he wrote letters to the different Churches addressing their conditions. It seems, by the context, that there was a disagreement about whether should Christians obey authorities and pay taxes. The context of the quote says that you should.

However, early Christians, Paul included, understood that this submission to authority only went so far. We should remember that Christians were persecuted because they wouldnt participate in the official religion. It wasnt that the Romans believed in it but that they considered participation in these ceremonies what we would call today a loyalty oath. It meant that you were a good loyal Roman subject. So the living interpretation of this passage seems to have been being obedient to the government until it ran across your faith, which is the moment when one must take a strong stand.

Furthermore, the next section of chapter 13 says:

Originally posted by NIV

8Let no debt remain outstanding, except the continuing debt to love one another, for he who loves his fellowman has fulfilled the law. 9The commandments, "Do not commit adultery," "Do not murder," "Do not steal," "Do not covet,"[a] and whatever other commandment there may be, are summed up in this one rule: "Love your neighbor as yourself." 10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.

As for Luke 3:14, this is the quote from the King James Version:

14And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages.

It seems that the meaning is quite consistent with what Jesus said

Which to me it seems insists on the teaching on Jesus for love and nonviolence.

Moreover, justifications for wars in the Old Testament have dubious validity after the New Testament. And even if Paul did endorse war, we are Christians, not Paulists. Whatever commandment Jesus gave outweighs Paul, John, and the rest of the writers of the New Testament.

I dont think that there is a lot of controversy on this issue: Jesus clearly said that we shouldnt respond violence in kind. It is one of the clearest passages of the Gospels, where Jesus is speaking in a clear language and literally giving a command to his followers.

But I agree with you that it does seem mind blowing when you begin to read it not as a nice suggestion but as a command. It is quite amazing when one reads it and realizes that Jesus actually meant it. It is even more amazing when Jesus made this point before in a different way, when he says,

Originally posted by KJV

Ye have heard that it was said of them of old time, Thou shalt not kill; and whosoever shall kill shall be in danger of the judgment:
22But I say unto you, That whosoever is angry with his brother without a cause shall be in danger of the judgment: and whosoever shall say to his brother, Raca, shall be in danger of the council: but whosoever shall say, Thou fool, shall be in danger of hell fire.

So even just being angry, violence of intention, is committing a wrong that can put one in peril of judgment.
You dont have to answer right away. Read it and think about.
I came to the conclusion that Jesus meant it literally when I read about a soldier in Iraq who became a born again Christian, read the Sermon of the Mount and realized that he it is meant to be literal. Before that it hadnt occurred to me either.

P.S. Just War IS better than unrestrain war, but no war, as Jesus commanded, outranks Just War.

You bring up some interesting points Hugo, however I must again respectfully disagree with you.

As for Luke 3:14- Youre taking it out of context, if we look at the previous writings Luke 3:12-13

"Then came also publicans to be baptized. They asked him, "Teacher, what should we do?" 13 And he said unto them, Exact no more than which is appointed of you." 14 And the soldiers likewise demanded of him, saying, And what shall we do? And he said unto them, Do violence to no man, neither accuse any falsely; and be content with your wages."

-He is saying to the soldiers to not use violence or threaten any man or use exortion to get more money from the people, to be content with the pay they have.

Maybe youre not understanding the doctrine, It is not meant to condone hate it is set in place to make sure that injustices and evils againt the peoples are not allowed to go unchecked when such violent acts are set upon a certain peoples there has to be DEFENSE. I think that is a very good summary word to the doctrine.

For instance if you were to be walking down the street and you observed a very frail elder man and in an instant you seen another man come and throw him down and do violence upon that man would you help? Or rather, would you view that as an instant where God would hold you in sin for useing force against the agressor, and hears the kicker, in order to preserve peace. Because thats what its really about, preserving peace. 

Christ calls us together as one, in unity. Above all peace is what is desired.

As for Paul and John being at odds with Christ.......This is certainly something I dont believe. The scriptures are all inspired word of God and I dont believe they contradict one another, it is all on the way you take the words in, this is why the Catholic Church has the Magisterium.

A time to kill, and a time to heal; a time to break down, and a time to build up; -Ecclesiastes 3:3

Above all we must remember, peace is what is desired

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 22:16

He, he. Funny Seko.

1. Mutilation Jesus
Most people seem to have interpreted that section as being a rhetorical point. There is actually an early Christian thinker that the Catholic Church denied him official sainthood because he took this part too literally--the liked girls too much, so... chop chop. Or so does the legend says.

2. Cannibalism

Yes, you are right: it makes no sense that Jesus gave himself as a sacrificial lamb only to be sacrificed at every mass.

Even worse: the Hebrew God had outlawed human sacrifice since... Abraham. So God demanding a human sacrifice to cleanse the sins of human makes no sense within the Jewish religion which Jesus belong, and to which he never renounced.

The cannibalistic Eucharist that we have today is probably a syncretic blend of the mystery cults that existed at the time of Christianity. These were popular at the time, and they had the themes of a God that self-sacrifices itself for humans in order to give them eternal life. Sounds familiar, doesn't it? There were some cannibalistic elements in them as well, at least in the cult of Dionysus if I remember correctly...

Just for the record. Both mutilation and cannibalism were very important symbols that helped the conversion of the natives worldwide.

When Aztecs, for instance, saw a mass the first time, they realized there was no need of more human sacrifices! The mass contained the same elements although symbolically. I bet Celts and Norse, that also practised human sacrifices, where also driven to the Christian faith through the symbology of the mass.

So, the mass itself was a very effective tool to convert peoples of other cultures where human sacrifices were for real.

hugoestr View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar

Suspended

Quote hugoestr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 22:27
Arch Buff,

Publicans were tax collectors. John the Baptist is first telling the tax collectors not too extort money out of people, and then addresses the soldiers, telling them not to do violence.

And maybe I didn't make it very clear, but let me do this now: just war is a lot better than unrestrained war if Christian were able to pull it off as it is meant to be waged.

That being said, the doctrine of just war broke with the pacifist norm of the early Christians. Today the peace Churches are a tiny minority since most denominations have adopted some version of just war.

As for your example of the man being hurt, there are ways to protect the man nonviolently. The first is to try to take the aggressor away from the victim. From what I understand, just running towards an act of aggression often makes the perpetrator leave. If running towards the aggressor doesn't stop him, and holding him back doesn't help, or getting in between doesn't stop him, then knocking him is appropriate.

But notice that there were plenty of options before using violence. And more come to mind if violence is seen as the last resort. That is quite different than going there with the clear intention of transferring the fight from the old person to yourself.

Now, this is what we should try to do it. Actually being in the situation is a whole different matter. We are emotional people, and we react on those emotions. If I went to defend the old person, the first thing that I may do is punching him if the circumstances are right, meaning the right mixture of emotions rush through It is hard to tell how we will react until we live through it, and there are many, many examples of believers in nonviolence ending up beating other people when emotions took over.

Here another example of this. Serious nonviolent activists role play scenarios to test themselves. Even though they know that these are not true situations and they are not in danger, the people testing themselves will often get carried out by emotion.

It is hard work. And as a practical matter, we should assume that we will fail in our best intentions, and that is why we must strive towards nonviolence for that same reason, don't you think so?
arch.buff View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote arch.buff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Nov-2007 at 23:01
Hugo,

The soldiers are questioning in addition to the previous one set forth by the publicans.

And you are absolutely right, your basically agreeing with the doctrine. Doesnt it state that all other options of non-violence must be exhausted??
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>