Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Greatest Ottoman Naval Commander

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Poll Question: Who was the greatest Ottoman naval commander, and why?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
17 [85.00%]
2 [10.00%]
1 [5.00%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Online Status: Offline
  Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Greatest Ottoman Naval Commander
    Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 08:37
Originally posted by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Tactically speaking, it was pretty darn minor, and I don't see anything above which contradicts my posts (aside from Dimitri claiming that "enemy fleet is completely destroyed", which certainly didn't happen).

I gave you specific figures, and you replied with unspecific propaganda. 

Jerba was far more damaging to the Christian cause in the Mediterranean.

Nom it was not a damn minor.Do you play chess?There are two styles of games;Using tactics and using pozitions.Andrea Doria didn't lose many pieces but got check mated in the second move.It was not a tactic battle where you loose many pieces but a pozitional one

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 09:11
Originally posted by aknc

Tactically speaking, it was pretty darn minor, and I don't see anything above which contradicts my posts (aside from Dimitri claiming that "enemy fleet is completely destroyed", which certainly didn't happen).

I gave you specific figures, and you replied with unspecific propaganda. 

Jerba was far more damaging to the Christian cause in the Mediterranean.

Nom it was not a damn minor.Do you play chess?There are two styles of games;Using tactics and using pozitions.Andrea Doria didn't lose many pieces but got check mated in the second move.It was not a tactic battle where you loose many pieces but a pozitional one

LOL--you can take the comparison between chess and a real battle only so far.

Very little damage was done at Prevesa, in terms of skilled manpower (considered more crucial than the ships themselves, in Mediterranean warfare) and vessels.  It cannot be compared whatsoever to the losses suffered by the Spanish at Jerba (28-30 galleys, many sailing ships, 600 oficiales & 2,400 sailor-arquebusiers), or the Ottomans at Lepanto (200 galleys, 30,000 men, and 15,000 galley slaves liberated).

Barbarossa's victory at Prevesa, and his subsequent mastery of the Mediterranean, had more to do with divisions within the Christian ranks (the Venetians wanted to fight, and the Spanish did not) than anything else.

"Who despises me and my praiseworthy craft,

I'll hit on the head that it resounds in his heart."

--Augustin Staidt, of the Federfechter (German fencing guild)
Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 10:08
So its kind of like the skirmishes of Mohacs, Nicopolis,Varna and Vienna eh?

Edited by Gazi
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 11:24

Originally posted by Gazi

"I am the scourage of god appointed to chastise you,since no one knows the remedy for your iniquity exept me.You are wicked,but I am more wicked than you,so be silent!"

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 11:26
Look i gave an exaple to make it easy for you to understand,not much of a battle because andrea doria was crushed even before the battle.The ottoman navy scared the s**t out of him

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 20:39

Not at all---the actions you mention above are all bonafide battles--very different from Prevesa.

You've seen the statistics I posted--make up your own mind about what Prevesa was, on the tactical level.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 20:45

Look i gave an exaple to make it easy for you to understand,

And I gave you the hard statistics on the Prevesa, which should have made it easy for you to understand why it was not much of a battle.

not much of a battle because andrea doria was crushed even before the battle.The ottoman navy scared the s**t out of him

How does losing a tiny number of ships equal being "crushed"?

Seriously.

In any case, if you want to talk about folks who were truly crushed, look no further than Lepanto.  The Ottoman Navy was never the same after that...  

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Mar-2005 at 21:34

L D states:  In any case, if you want to talk about folks who were truly crushed, look no further than Lepanto.  The Ottoman Navy was never the same after that...  

Not really. The Ottomans under Selim II rebuilt the Navy with great speed that even the western powers were very surprised.

Gazi View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Gazi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 02:04
But The Ottoman Navy after Selim II conquered Crete in 25 years!!!!
Freedom is the recognition of necessity.-Friedrich Engels
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 07:06
Originally posted by Seko

L D states:  In any case, if you want to talk about folks who were truly crushed, look no further than Lepanto.  The Ottoman Navy was never the same after that...  

Not really. The Ottomans under Selim II rebuilt the Navy with great speed that even the western powers were very surprised.

The ships built in 1572 were made of green wood, and the crews were unskilled.  As I already stated, skilled manpower was actually considered more important than the ships themselves in Medieterranean galley warfare, and the Turks never fully recovered from their staggering manpower losses at Lepanto.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 07:08

But The Ottoman Navy after Selim II conquered Crete in 25 years!!!!

And that should tell you something.

The mighty Ottoman Empire required a full quarter century to take the island of Crete from the Venetian Republic, and the Venetians were long past their prime by that point.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 07:15

It's really pretty simple, folks.

I am not trying to downplay Ottoman victories across the board, so you can stop with the jokes about Mohacs, Nicopolis, et al.  Those were major battles in every sense (tactical, strategic, etc), and were great victories for the Turks.

But, while Prevesa was likewise a victory, it was not won through any amount of hard fighting, considering the limited number of vessels that were actually engaged, and the small number of ships actually lost by Doria.  Tactically, it was little more than a skirmish, as Guilmartin stated.  That has been my point all along.  To compare Mohacs and Prevesa is a joke.  The former resulted in a total defeat for the Hungarians, where even their King was killed--it was the "Graveyard of the Hungarian Nation".  The latter resulted in Doria leaving the seas to Barbarossa, but with Doria's own forces predominantly intact.

Edited by Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 08:14

Look i gave an exaple to make it easy for you to understand,

And I gave you the hard statistics on the Prevesa, which should have made it easy for you to understand why it was not much of a battle.

not much of a battle because andrea doria was crushed even before the battle.The ottoman navy scared the s**t out of him

How does losing a tiny number of ships equal being "crushed"?

Seriously.

In any case, if you want to talk about folks who were truly crushed, look no further than Lepanto.  The Ottoman Navy was never the same after that...  

As i said before preveze is no joke.If you are against a world champion heavyweigh boxer of course you will refuse to fight.I think winning without a battle is more than winning it without fighting.

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 08:44
This conversation is hopeless, you 're obviously not communicating so you might as well quit ...
The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 10:18
might as well.But still we aren't bieng rude or using any languages so,no problem!Just discussing.

Colonel
Colonel

Quote Landsknecht_Doppelsoldner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29-Mar-2005 at 20:59
I've stated my case.  I don't know what else to say on the matter.

aknc View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote aknc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31-Mar-2005 at 10:25

Those that win every battle that they join are not masters,those that defeat armies without a battle,they are the best

Sun Tzu

The best victory is the one that is won bye the enemy surrendering without a battle

Cao Cao

Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 17:47
Hi,
Ok I know I'm late but here is what one of the most famous (western)
historians, Fernand Braudel, thinks about the Preveza battle: it was not an
important fight actually, a few losses on the Christan side no more but its
diplomatic consequenses were huge and in this sense it is a major victory
for the Ottomans.
After the battle (even though Barbarossa's fleet had been destroyed
during a campaign on its way back) Venice decided to leave the so-called
holly league. As the Spaniards were unable to face the Ottoman with their
own forces only they had to forget all their pretentions to rule the waves
in the Mediterranean. As a result, their latter attack on Algier (1541) was
a complet failure because they had to do it during winter (which is bad
both for galleys and guns).
After Preveza during over 25 years the Ottoman fleet did not have any
serious opponent. But what was primarly in cause, in my opinion, was the
Spanish way to build their navy (a system mainly based on private boat-
owners and not chiefly on state ruled arsenal).
Bye
I am a free donkey!
Maharbbal View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Maharbbal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Mar-2006 at 17:51
Bite more
I humbly advise you to visit my homepage about Andrea Doria: http://
thetrickofstateraison.blogspot.com/ (french and english versions)
Bye again and thanks to those who will have the courage to read me
I am a free donkey!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123