Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Loan words

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Loan words
    Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 15:37

I think Persian languages is one of the languages which has the most number of loan words from various languages!

Kabus
- MEANING: Incubus
ORIGIN: Incubare (Latin)

Kado
- MEANING: Present
ORIGIN: Cadeau (French)

Ketab
- MEANING: Book
ORIGIN: Ketab (Arabic)

Kas
- MEANING: Pig
ORIGIN: Kas (Sogdian)

Kakaz
- MEANING: Paper
ORIGIN: Kok-ci (Chinese)

Kafur
- MEANING: Camphor
ORIGIN: Kappura (Sanskrit)

Kak
- MEANING: Kind of bread
ORIGIN: Kake (Coptic)

Kakol
- MEANING: Topknot, Forelock
ORIGIN: Kakol (Mongolian)

Kanun
- MEANING: Rule, Focus
ORIGIN: Kanon (Greek)

Kaleska
- MEANING: Coach
ORIGIN: Kaleskay (Russian)

Kaka
- MEANING: Tutor
ORIGIN: Kaka (Chagatai)

Kal
- MEANING: Unripe
ORIGIN: Kalak (Hyrcanian)

Kamonvels
- MEANING: Having common interests
ORIGIN: Commonwealth (English)

Kabab
- MEANING: Roast
ORIGIN: Kababu (Babylonian)

Kobra
- MEANING: Cobra
ORIGIN: Cobra de Capello(Portugese)

Kebrit
- MEANING: Match
ORIGIN: Kupritu (Akkadian)

Katan
- MEANING: Linen
ORIGIN: Kutina (Syriac)

Ketri
- MEANING: Kettle
ORIGIN: Katli (Urdu)

Kotak
- MEANING: Beating, Cudgel
ORIGIN: Kutak (Turkish)

Kadu
- MEANING: Squash
ORIGIN: Qedu (Kurdish)

Karbas
- MEANING: Canvas
ORIGIN: Karpas (Hindi)

Korsi
- MEANING: Chair
ORIGIN: Koratsu (Japanese)

Karafs
- MEANING: Celery
ORIGIN: Karpas (Hebrew)

Korkom
- MEANING: Saffron
ORIGIN: Kurkema (Aramaean)

Karubi
- MEANING: Cherub
ORIGIN: Charuba (Assyrian)

Kasma
- MEANING: Tress
ORIGIN: Kasa (Lithuanian)

Koshad
- MEANING: Wide
ORIGIN: Gojad (Transoxanian)

Kalaq
- MEANING: Crow
ORIGIN: Guraq (Baluchi)

Kelan
- MEANING: Collar
ORIGIN: Kolan (Caspian)

Kauchuk
- MEANING: Caoutchouc
ORIGIN : Kauchuk (Quechua)

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 21:34

Korsi
- MEANING: Chair
ORIGIN: Koratsu (Japanese)

I seriously doubt that that is a borrowed loaned word. Just because it sounds the same doesn't mean it is a loaned word.

E,g, Pa and Pater might sound the same but aren't loaned words (Ma being father in CHinese , Pater being in German)

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 21:39

Kakaz

Let's see Chinese invented paper, and you guys named it? Doesn't make much sense does it?

Anyway chinese for paper is not Kok-ci, its just Zi.

Kamonvels
- MEANING: Having common interests
ORIGIN: Commonwealth (English)

COmmonwealth comes from commonweal.

which can be split into common and weal
weal means prosperity or fortune.

This word makes sense as a germanic word (the common prosperity of a group).

In persian is there a word Kamon meaning common and word vels meaning weal?

Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 21:45
I think English wins it. It must have words from hundreds of languages thrown in there, but then, unlike some cultures, they havn't been paranoid about foreign words entering their language, plus thanks to their ex-hobby of sailing around and pinching people's countries, they had plenty of exposure to other languages.

Let's see Chinese invented paper, and you guys named it?

Other way around, he is saying that Persian has loads of words from other languages, hence 'loan words', so the Persian word for paper came from Chinese. Not that i know if thats correct or not.

Curse the forum code for making it imppossible to copy and paste without picking up the bold/italic/etc. stuff, this really needs to be fixed.
Edit: It seems to fix itself, hmm, this is very confusing.

Edited by Cywr
Arrrgh!!"
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Aug-2004 at 22:47
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

I think Persian languages is one of the languages which has the most number of loan words from various languages!

Don't worry Cyrus, Turkish probably has more loan words from Persian than Persian does from Turkish.

Looks like the Turks got "kabus" directly from Persian, even the spelling is unchanged. As for other loan words let me say that when my friend from Afghanistan speaks Farsi I pretty much pick up at least about 5 words in only a few sentences.
Roughneck View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Roughneck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 00:06
Gotta be English with the most loan words.  We have French, Latin, German, Norman, Spanish, American Indian, Old English (although would this count as borrowed?), you can probably start including Japanese words in there...
[IMG]http://img160.exs.cx/img160/7417/14678932fstore0pc.jpg">
Jalisco Lancer View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Retired AE Moderator

Quote Jalisco Lancer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 00:14

Hey Cyrus:

I started on this new job a month ago. Im back in sales and marketing, but I would like to ask you for a special favor.

My boss is an iranian friend I met some years ago.

Despites the fact he speaks fluenty spanish like a regular mexican, he also speaks English, Portuguese and Japanese.

I would like to learn some basic farsi.

I hope you can enlightme.

Regards

Edited by Jalisco Lancer
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 00:16
Originally posted by Roughneck

Gotta be English with the most loan words.  We have French, Latin, German, Norman, Spanish, American Indian, Old English (although would this count as borrowed?), you can probably start including Japanese words in there...

....Dutch, Welsh, Gaelic (Scots), Polish, Mongolian, Turkish, Amoy, Tamil, Hindi, Sanskrit, Malay, Arabic, Russian......
Arrrgh!!"
Colchis View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote Colchis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 00:47

Gotta be English with the most loan words. 

Considering that the kings of England themselves didn't speak English for a good period of time, it's hardly surprising isn't it. That's probably also the reason that English has one of the largest vocabularies. A lot of the words in English have two versions to start with: one of Germanic and one of Romance (Latin) origins thus doubling the number.

Edited by Colchis
babyblue View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote babyblue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 01:50
Originally posted by fastspawn

[quote]

"zi" is the modern day pronounciation in Mandarin...and if it's a loan word...then i'd say it was loaned a long long time ago...even if mandarin existed back in those days...would it be the same mandarin as the one we know of today?

fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 04:26
Originally posted by babyblue

Originally posted by fastspawn

[quote]

"zi" is the modern day pronounciation in Mandarin...and if it's a loan word...then i'd say it was loaned a long long time ago...even if mandarin existed back in those days...would it be the same mandarin as the one we know of today?

That is an interesting question. We will never know whether this is true, because we have no audio recording of how Chinese in the Hand Dynasty spoke.

We know that the script was unified during the Qin Dynasty, so the word "ZI" remains the same (with the evolution of the character of course, but it remains essentially the same). But about what it sounds like i wouldn't know.

I would like to post a link about the origins and etymology of Chinese Language.

Chinese Language

Now the "true ethnicity" of the Chinese Emperors are under debate.
I have come across sites which state that the Hakka are the true ethnicity, being the ethnicity of Qin and the Han Emperors.

Hakka

Whether this is propoganda, or this is true i will not know because i cannot and do not have the resources to analyse and evaluate their argument.

Anyway, if Hakka is really the language spoken in the courts then, the word is still Zi (I don't know Hakka, but my mom told me.) Whether the sound ZI has changed over the years and the forced migrations of the hakka people i do not know.

Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 05:07

Ketri
- MEANING: Kettle
ORIGIN: Katli (Urdu)

That is surely not a loan-word, since it has Indo-European roots. In Old Norse for example, it's kettil, thus I think that word have been in Persian for a long time.

Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 05:56

Originally posted by Jalisco Lancer

Hey Cyrus:

I started on this new job a month ago. Im back in sales and marketing, but I would like to ask you for a special favor.

My boss is an iranian friend I met some years ago.

Despites the fact he speaks fluenty spanish like a regular mexican, he also speaks English, Portuguese and Japanese.

I would like to learn some basic farsi.

I hope you can enlightme.

Regards

Ty here, you can learn some basics, www.iranianlanguages.com

Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 08:04

Fastspawn, those are not my guesses but I have collected them from the most reliable Persian dictionary which has been written by a group scientists and philologists in 50 years, about Korsi, Please read here!

Colchis, not only Turkish has many loan words from Persian but also almost all other major languages! There are at least one hundred Persian words in Quran, some Jewish months such as Sivan and Teves are Persian, Shizi (Lion Dance) which is the most important Chinese fetvial, is a Persian word, Some greek mythical creatures such as Martikhoras (Manticore) and Slavic mythical creatures such as Simargl and Khors have Persian names, Hindi itself is a Persian word, ...

Jalisco Lancer, I am ready to teach you Persian language!

Yiannis View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote Yiannis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 08:36

Originally posted by Cywr

....Dutch, Welsh, Gaelic (Scots), Polish, Mongolian, Turkish, Amoy, Tamil, Hindi, Sanskrit, Malay, Arabic, Russian......

Hey, where's Greek on that list?

J/K

The basis of a democratic state is liberty. Aristotle, Politics

Those that can give up essential liberty to obtain a temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin
Cywr View Drop Down
King
King
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Cywr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 09:12
Bah, we all know Telephone is a Basque word 

But yeah, kind of dumb to neglect that one, considering that loads of fancy gadgets invented seem to have Greek names, then theres Politico speak that is loaded with Greek, from Ethnic Demographics to Democracy itself........
Arrrgh!!"
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 10:56
 Persian too. 
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20-Aug-2004 at 11:29
Originally posted by Cyrus Shahmiri

Fastspawn, those are not my guesses but I have collected them from the most reliable Persian dictionary which has been written by a group scientists and philologists in 50 years, about Korsi, Please read here!

Colchis, not only Turkish has many loan words from Persian but also almost all other major languages! There are at least one hundred Persian words in Quran, some Jewish months such as Sivan and Teves are Persian, Shizi (Lion Dance) which is the most important Chinese fetvial, is a Persian word, Some greek mythical creatures such as Martikhoras (Manticore) and Slavic mythical creatures such as Simargl and Khors have Persian names, Hindi itself is a Persian word, ...

Jalisco Lancer, I am ready to teach you Persian language!

Maybe Koratsu and Korsi are related, but we will not know whom originated the word.  But most definately Chinese did not loan a word for paper (that would be really absurd wouldn't it?), and the English didn't take the word Commonwealth from Kamonvels.

I would agree with Shi ZI, because the lion is not a native creature of China, so when they imported it via the silk road, they would use the literal translation. What is the persian word for lion anyway? is it like sanskrit? Singa?
Zagros View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor

Suspended

Quote Zagros Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 06:17
It's shir or arslan.  BTW, no one said, anywhere in this thread, that the Chinese used a loan word for paper.
fastspawn View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote fastspawn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21-Aug-2004 at 09:20
Originally posted by Zagros Purya

It's shir or arslan.  BTW, no one said, anywhere in this thread, that the Chinese used a loan word for paper.

Originally posted by cyrus shahmiri

Kakaz

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>