Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

should i switch to Vista?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: should i switch to Vista?
    Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 06:58
Does anyone use Windows Vista, is it good? and is it better than XP
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 08:47
No.
Ahmed The Fighter View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Lion of Babylon

Quote Ahmed The Fighter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 12:53
 It's good but in general work same as XP the difference in appearance like Icons,themes,colour scheme as well as new useless feature like sleep,windows super fetchwindows ready drive,etc.
my advice to you save 200$ and keep your XP up to date.
"May the eyes of cowards never sleep"
Khalid Bin Walid
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 14:37
If your a gamer.......NOOOOOOO!!!! If you are not a gamer and hate video games then YES!
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Siege Tower View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Siege Tower Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 17:50
you mean i can t play starcraft on Vista!!!!
The Canadian Guy View Drop Down
General
General
The Native Canuck

Quote The Canadian Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 20:47
IDK.......i know that only few games can be played on it.
Hate and anger is the fuel of war, while religion and politics is the foundation of it.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Oct-2007 at 22:18
I have a new Vista laptop and it has problems with my RTW Chivalry mod, however the Invasio Barbarorum mod works fine. One complaint I have against Vista is that it is slower due to the immense security. it will take a lot of your ram memmory so upgrading to either 2 or 1.5 gig of ram is recommended.     
pekau View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
Atlantean Prophet

Quote pekau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 03:53
Sure you can play Starcraft in Vista. (STARCRAFT2 COMING NEXT SPRING!!!) If Vista couldn't do this, I would have smashed into bits with my hammer and let is toast in microwave.

Join us.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 05:15
It is always better to use the latest version of an older OS; read fully debugged, then the first version of a new OS.
WolfHound View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote WolfHound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30-Oct-2007 at 21:45
Originally posted by Siege Tower

you mean i can t play starcraft on Vista!!!!

Starcraft works fine just the begining screen is a little glitchy. But I have vista it works fine especially since my specs suck.
1gb of ram
2.2ghz amd athlon 64
But hey I got vista for free, and its not too bad everything is a little bit faster.
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 17:11
I have it on my system running along with XP and I really would like to suggest you that you just don't waste your money on Vista until you may get updates and support for XP from MicroSoft.

As Vista is nothing else but a finer layout of XP, as said while being a game nut you will require more Memory (RAM) as most of the small procedures and programs of Vista itself take much of the Free space of your memory so while playing a game that requires more of hardware, then you will find the experience very boring.

If you are not a gamer and just use PC for daily works and other small user and have some extra money that you want to spoil then go for it.

I have a system of:

Intel 2.0 Ghz Dual Core
1 GB Kingston Ram
320 GB Segate SATA 2 Harddisk
256 MB Nvidia Geforce 7600 GS SLi Graphic Card

and still face problems while playing games such as MTW, RTW, RoN Rise of Legends and some other games.

bgturk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote bgturk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 21:19
Vista is full of shit. Switch to Linux :-)

Balaam View Drop Down
Housecarl
Housecarl

Suspended

Quote Balaam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 03:53
Originally posted by bgturk

Vista is full of shit. Switch to Linux :-)

A friend of mine swears by Linux and it all looks better than windows (then again what isn't?) but the main problem I can see with it is the need to have to always download linux versions of app's cause most things are only made for windows and mac.

Edited by Balaam - 03-Nov-2007 at 03:54
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 06:23
My Vista is good, but annoying. It asks for permission to do just about anything... I'm thinking to myself, "If I initiated the program, then 'yes' you bastard, you have permission to do it, so do it already!" but the security is nice.
Cheers.
Brian J Checco View Drop Down
General
General
Eli Manning

Quote Brian J Checco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 06:25
Then again, I have two computers (desktop with XP, laptop with Vista), so when Vista annoys me, I just switch over to my desktop. Win/Win situation, no?
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 00:30
IN terms of games you have major issues. Supposedly it's better, and it does do a few things well. However, it has major issues with its sound at the moment that completely stuff over many games including Bioshock, lots of Source games and more. Installing Medieval 2 Total War: Kingdoms is a real bitch too.
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 14:12

It also takes some getting used to the new vista versions of excel and word - no 'open' botton in excel!  Definitely a step backwards as far as usability is concerned.

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06-Nov-2007 at 16:20
Isn't that the new office, rather than vista?

[I use OpenOffice anyway]
Gharanai View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Afghan Empire

Quote Gharanai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Nov-2007 at 13:16
Let me give you a good idea:
If knowing all the negative points of Vista and you are still interested to have a taste of it why don't you try a transformer.

Here is one which will make your XP look just like a Vista while the Kernal running still would be of XP, all the looks and GUI of Vista would be achieved.

This is how your Vista will look after the installation of the transformer.

These are some features that could be achieved:

Added default system font option for recovery
Added Docking support for preview and taskbar replacement
Added DPI auto-detection in Machine Configuration
Added hiding menubar option for Vista (Styler) toolbar
Added information about KB925902 hotfix issues and solution on startup
Added memory requirements checking for 3rd-party applications
Added resetting DPI options and some extra information in Machine Configuration
Added screen resolution auto-detection
Added setting cleartype font automatically after the transformation
Added Vista transformation Express mode (Make an appropriate setup configuration in single page!)
Added ViStart (Vista Start Menu port for Windows XP/2003 with glass UI and search function)
Added uninstalling existing components before updating
Added WindowBlinds detection warning message (for user who is mistaken about glass border skin)
Added Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 uxtheme patching support
Fixed backing up system files bug on repair mode
Fixed checking for Styler incompatibility with x64 edition OS
Fixed fileversion checking bug that cause backup system files being overwritten by modified system files when update
Fixed operating system checking bug (that allow user to install in Windows 2000 and below)
Fixed Start Orb positioning bug
Fixed Styler to execute Styler.exe only when user wants to hide menu bar to save up memory and some weird issues
Fixed Styler to run in toolbar mode (prevent error and message popup)
Fixed Vista (Styler) toolbar option with correction of menubar
Fixed uninstalling bug with system drive icon
Fixed uninstalling routines
Fixed uxtheme.dll patching detection bugs on machine without any service pack
Fixed Windows Live Messenger skin uninstallation bug
Moved extra dialogs in the main dialogs process so user can make all decisions before transforming
Removed customized open/save dialog due to bugs in some applications
Replaced closeapp with pskill (some programs reported closeapp as virus though it isnt)
Replaced Blaeros Start Orb with ViOrb (Auto positioning and snap over the start button upon taskbar shifting)
Updated battery tray icons
Updated Getting Started and Help and Support FAQ
Updated LClock x86 to version 1.62b
Updated Maintenance Center to be Welcome Center
Updated minor UI graphic resources in themes
Updated Segoe UI font
Updated Shutdown/Logoff dialogs
Updated Start Orb to full circle version
Updated Thoosjes Vista sidebar to version 2.1
Updated transformation to use backup system file if it has the same fileversion during update
Updated updating function to uninstall previous components before updating
Updated Vista logon screen (Thanks to SoFtEcH for updating my logon)
Added status message (Welcome, Shutdown, etc.)
Fixed user account disapperance bug on lower resolution
Fixed user account moving around when focused
Moved shutdown button to right part
Updated password panel resources
Updated userpictures frame border
Updated Visualtooltip to version 2.1

Then what to wait for just click here to download the 32 MB executable installation file.

Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Nov-2007 at 13:07

Yeah I've alrdy seen a couple of new games that require 1gb of Ram for XP but 2gb for Vista....wtf

Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>