Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Turkic languages and comprehension

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Turkic languages and comprehension
    Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 17:05
So, this one is for the speakers of any turkic language. How well do you understand eachother? For example for someone who lives in Turkey, how well would he/she understand the language of Azerbaitzan? Is it like a dialect? How much do these languages differenciate from eachother geographically?

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
Sarmat View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Sarmat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 20:06
I'm not a native speaker of a Turkic language. But it seems, that generally speaking mutual understanding is much more high than for the other close language groups.

However, Turkic languages are divided into subgroups themselves.

So, Turkish, Azeri and Turkmen are in the same Oguz group, usually the speakers of those 3 languages can understand each other without much difficulty.
Σαυρομάτης
Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 21:00
As a whole the words are familiar to most but the pronunciation is what gets you. I'll go with Sarmat in that Azeri, Turkey and Turkmen Turks have an easier time understanding eachother versus the other groups in Asia, but what do I know, there are some villages in Turkey that'll make me do a double take 'What the?"
xi_tujue View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Atabeg

Quote xi_tujue Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 21:33
Why is it that Uygur sounds more familiar than Turkmen to me :S
I rather be a nomadic barbarian than a sedentary savage
The Hidden Face View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Ustad-i Azam

Quote The Hidden Face Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:03
I understand 90% of Azerbaijani, 60% of Turkmen Turkish, 45-50 % Uigur Turkish,  30% of Uzbek.
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:09

From the post-Islamic era, the Uygurs and Karakhanids developed literary Turkic, laying the foundations for literary Turki.

This was further developed during the Seljuk, Timurid and Ottoman era's.

These states had created world powers, had major world cities and a large settled population. This helped the development of literary Turkish.

Karluk-Chaghtai Turki the lingua franca of Central Asia and Oghuz Turki the lingua franca of the late Seljuk of the Rum, Anatolian Beyliks, Kara and Akkoyunlu, Ottoman lands and Turks of Iran had alot of interaction.

The works of Ali Sher Navoi, Lufti and Yusuf Has Hojib etc were known and admired by the Oghuz Turks, as was Fuzulli, Yunus Emre, Baki etc in Turkistan.

This interaction resulted in an increase in mutual intellegibility between Oghuz and Chaghtai-Karluk Turki speakers.

Then when the Oz'beks, a confederation of Turkic tribes which swept to power in Turkistan gained influence, they influence the Turki of the region with the Kipchak Turkic dialect which did not have as rich a literary tradition and was used by more nomadic tribes. However, in Oral tradition they exceeded, the Kyrgyz Manas epic is one of the longest in the world.

Why is this important?

The Turki that Uygur Turks speak has a high mutual integibility with the Turkish spoken in Turkey/Azerbaycan/Iran due to this. While Uygur/Ozbek has a very high mutual integibility, Oz'bek Turki has more Kipchak influence making Uyghur seem more comprehensible.

To summarise.

The Turkish of Azerbaycan, Iran, Turkey, Balkans, Cyprus, Crimea, Caucauses and Turkmenistan especially the southern areas is mutually intellible.

In addition the Turki of the Khorazm province of Ozbekistan has a high degree of comprehension with Oghuz Turk speakers.

Ozbekistan, Eastern Turkistan/Xinjiang, Afganistan Turki is comprehensible to each other.

Kazakistan, Kirgizistan, Tatarstan speak the Kipchak branch, they have some mutual intellegibility.

If you were to learn Turkish of Turkey, you may be suprised to realise that you can also communicate with people in Azerbaycan, parts of Iran and the Caucauses and Turkmenistan and get by in parts of Ozbekistan and even China.

It is most difficult to understand Kipchak Turkic speakers.
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Seko View Drop Down
Emperor
Emperor
Spammer

Quote Seko Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:16
I would love to have the chance to shoot the sh_t with Uighurs, I just haven't had the pleasure.

Bulldog, maybe one day you'll let us know your special lingo!
Bulldog View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Bulldog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Oct-2007 at 22:25
Hasret Cektim - Eastern Turkistan song, sung by a singer from Turkey.

Guzal Turkestan

Traditional Meshrep

Kara Koz

According to Wikipedia

Turkic

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mutual_intelligibility#Turkic

Under Turkmen, Khorassani Turkish is listed, however, alot of Turks from Turkey/Azerbaycan/Northern Iran still claim some sort of descent from Khorssan and have kept some accents and colloquial terms still used by those Turkmens. The borders overlap, on the whole Oghuz Turkic has a high degree of comprehension.

Edited by Bulldog - 25-Oct-2007 at 23:20
      What we do for ourselves dies with us. What we do for others and the world remains and is immortal.
Albert Pine

Flipper View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Flipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Oct-2007 at 19:53
Thank you very much people!

I think i'm well covered here.

Bulldog, did the literary have major effects on the development of the language? I mean, were some standards set, that displaced other idioms?

Edited by Flipper - 26-Oct-2007 at 19:58

Så nu tar jag fram (k)niven va!
 Post Reply Post Reply