Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mosque vs. Church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456
Author
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mosque vs. Church
    Posted: 14-Aug-2008 at 00:14
I must agree with eaglecap's last post: both are beautiful in their own way: I prefer mosques, partly because I'm muslim, and partly because the deseign is more "open"(spacially) and flexible, at least to my taste: in a church, its always got more reliefs, carvings, and pews, which, while pretty, for some reason makes me feel either clostrophobic, or terrified to hell. a mosque, it just feels simpler, more understated, and so i can pray at ease, and just feel at ease. then again, i tend to be ultr-introverted, so that could be my lonerness speaking....

I'm also looking at the mode of worship; Islam has no altar like christianity to pray to/ at (spacially speaking), nor are there pews, due to different methods of prayer; so there is less of a need to be extravagent, hence saimplicity.

pretty church BTW Eaglecap.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 20:09
THANKS  to all posters, there are some wonderful
pics in this thread.
 Cant help thinking that the Crusades had a big effect
on   church architecture in Europe.
The first   crusade  began in  1095  and  in
1099  Jerusalem was  captured.
  Those crusading  knights must have been a formidable fighting machine... and pretty ruthless too... that was quite an achievement for an army so far from home.

The result of their victories was that they opened up trade between Europe and the middle east,  they also  stopped the aggressive  march of  Islam  into the west and the Christian Byzantium  Empire.
    What they learned architecture wise  stimulated the  building of  Gothic Cathedrals in France and northern  Europe.
Arabic learning in  science, glass making,  optics,  algebra  etc was  taken into  Europe and  further aided the advancement of  Western Europe. 
  Europe was getting control of the sea and  the trading lines.   The crusades  can be seen as  Western expansion into the Middle East.
Jallaludin Akbar View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Jallaludin Akbar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Feb-2009 at 23:38
The crusades are also the precedent of the New World colonialism and imperialism. how so? Well as the crusaders came to know of Arabic spices and technological wonders, they developed a need for all these things that they've scarcely had. And as a direct response, western europe looked to spread their ideals and acquire these riches elsewhere. 

So basically, we can say the the birth of the United States has an indirect correlation to the Crusades-and without them, europe wouldn't be the power that it was during the Age of Imperialism. 

sorry if this is off topic but i just thought it would be nice to point out Smile
"First they ignore you, then they ridicule you, then they fight you, then you win."
-Mahatma Gandhi

Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Feb-2009 at 09:31
Just to add some variety to the thread:

The Church of bones:
(http://sjsandteam.wordpress.com/2009/02/04/church-of-human-bones/)

The Marree Mosque

lovehipr View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Spammer

Quote lovehipr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22-Jul-2011 at 23:19
I am a newer here.
Glad to meet u.
Is anyone online?
coach handbags Coach Necklace Coach Jewelry
medenaywe View Drop Down
AE Moderator
AE Moderator
Master of Meanings

Quote medenaywe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2011 at 00:10
Spam.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 456