Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mosque vs. Church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>
Author
Pokeri View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Pokeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mosque vs. Church
    Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 12:02

Pokeri View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pokeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 12:05

Pokeri View Drop Down
Immortal Guard
Immortal Guard

Quote Pokeri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 12:06

Edited by Pokeri - 10-Jun-2008 at 12:11
Styrbiorn View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Styrbiorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10-Jun-2008 at 13:06
Originally posted by Al Jassas

Mosques are for prayer not sightseeing. Why do you have so much hate for us (wahhabis that is)? I prefer a simple straightforward mosque not an elaborate baroque/roccoco style mosque.

Al-Jassas

Well, since you asked: I've talked to several local muslims as well as followed their debates in newspapers, and they are quite concerned that Saudi money is funding schools and mosques, demanding that only their fundamentalist views are to be teached. Those who are most worried are the Muslims who see their children getting fundie ideas to their head, but it's certainly not improving the natives' view on Islam as a whole either. Nobody likes missionaries.

----

Anyhow, most of our churches were built by the locals and doubled as defense works: especially the bell towers were built like small forts. These things make most of our churches pretty simple,eg:

I do like the Baltic brick style churches though, here's one in Stockholm:

no time to post more..
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12-Jun-2008 at 21:01
Mosque in Mazar e Sharif, Afghanistan

Mosque in Herat

Mosque in Kabul

Mosque and Shrine in Kandahar

The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 16:33
Sacra de San Michele, near Torino

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 16:51
Le Puy, France

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 17:20
Simonos Petra monastery, Mount Athos

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 17:26
Sumela, Byzantine monastery, Turkey

Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13-Jun-2008 at 17:38
Byzantine church in Monemvasia, Greece

Edited by Menumorut - 13-Jun-2008 at 17:43

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14-Jun-2008 at 02:53
Good pictures Menu Thumbs%20Up
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Jul-2008 at 08:09

Wall paintings can be found in some old Persian mosques too, for example Imamzadeh Hilal in Aran-Bidgol:

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2008 at 19:08

I had not been a Mosque till I went to Turkey in 2006 and the Blue Mosque was a must-went in at least four times and it is very beautiful. I cannot recall the name but I went to two other large Mosques.

I can see the imitation of the Greek churches such as the Agia Sophia in these Mosques with their domes. I visited the Agia Sophia eight times and I usually spent two to threes hours inside.

I thought it was neat to still see the Viking runes still carved into the stone railing, on the second floor, in the Agia Sophia. I have seen several Gothic Cathedrals in England but the Agia Sophia is not only the most beautiful but sacred to me. Although, it should remain a museum and not a church or Mosque- maybe another thread for that argument.

I saw this same scene many times while in Istanbul and I sat by that same fountain also to view the Agia Sophia.

Edited by eaglecap - 18-Jul-2008 at 19:12
Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2008 at 21:17
It's sad how people can allow hatred to cloud their perception to the point where they are unable to see the beauty inherent in a structure such as "Saint Sophie".  [The art hist. prof I had in uni referred to it as that and I guess when you hear something often enough, it sticks]  Cathedral or Mosque, it doesn't matter.  You could run a train through it and it would still be one of the most amazing structures built by man.

Edit-

I have moved the post this post referrs to.  It's in the VA.  It was off topic and I found it offensive.  And if I was offended, I'm sure others were. 

Edited by red clay - 18-Jul-2008 at 23:08
"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
red clay View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
Tomato Master Emeritus

Quote red clay Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2008 at 22:10
Paying homage to simplicity and the old idea that less, is more-

Crosswicks Friends Meeting house,  Camden County NJ

Interior, Crosswicks Friends Meeting

Haddonfield Friends Meeting,  Camden Co.

Rancocas Friends Meeting, Burlington County NJ

"Arguing with someone who hates you or your ideas, is like playing chess with a pigeon. No matter what move you make, your opponent will walk all over the board and scramble the pieces".
Unknown.
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18-Jul-2008 at 23:08
Originally posted by red clay

It's sad how people can allow hatred to cloud their perception to the point where they are unable to see the beauty inherent in a structure such as "Saint Sophie".  [The art hist. prof I had in uni referred to it as that and I guess when you hear something often enough, it sticks]  Cathedral or Mosque, it doesn't matter.  You could run a train through it and it would still be one of the most amazing structures built by man.

I think so too, the architecture is superb.

vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 01:53
Mosques and Churches in Albania

Edited by vranakonti - 19-Jul-2008 at 01:57
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19-Jul-2008 at 03:44

I know we have a small Mosque in my city but I have not see it and I have tried to find an image for it but to no avail. We do have three Cathedrals; 2 Roman Catholic and one Prostesant. I posted the later which is one of two Gothic cathedrals west of the Mississippi and it is hard to believe it's in Spokane of all places.

It is nothing compared to what I have see but here are some churches from my little home town of Walla Walla, Washington (State).

This one is of the Catholic Cathedral Our Lady of Lourdes Cathedral.   doors in Spokane. The bronze doors are beautiful!!

Λοιπόν, αδελφοί και οι συμπολίτες και οι στρατιώτες, να θυμάστε αυτό ώστε μνημόσυνο σας, φήμη και ελευθερία σας θα ε
vranakonti View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote vranakonti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Jul-2008 at 12:12

La Chapelle Notre-Dame du Haut. Arch. Le Corbusier

Chiesa della Divina Misericordia Rome Arch. Richard Meier

Edited by vranakonti - 23-Jul-2008 at 12:13
Ti Shqipri m ep nder...
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25-Jul-2008 at 19:37
Both Mosque and churhes are beautiful but in their own way.

Walla Walla First Congregational
I love the neo classical architecture on this church built in the 1920's- The Greek Columns
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 3456>