Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Mosque vs. Church

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>
Author
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mosque vs. Church
    Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 15:18

What were the major differences between Mosques and Churches? What can make a mosque more beautiful than a church and vice versa?

Calligraphy:

Wall Painting:

Edited by Cyrus Shahmiri
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 16:25
Mosque and church had more or less the same purpose.

But then again, there are different styles of mosques and churchs. The Baroque/Byzantine and comparable styles look for decorated churchs while gothic churchs are definitivly huge in size. I'll devellop the gothic here.

And then, even in the gothic style you have different substyle.

The French style (the first one) try to make them huge inside. I mean with a very tall nave and choir. Beauvais and Narbonne are mosters in this style. They also often have two towers in front (when finished) and sometime more. Narbonne is an expection because it's not finished and has no nave because it was only made for the clergy and not for the people. Beauvais isn't finished either. For typical French gothic look for Amiens, Reims or Bourges.

The English style wanted them tall outside, with huge spires. See Salisbury and Lincoln for this (before the spires collapsed). Though they are often smaller than the French one (outside). Built in different proportions. For typical British gothic, Salisbury and Norwich the two tallest English gothic cathedrals. Some French cathedrals also have this still, the Norman and Angevin one especially, Rouen, Clermont Ferrand (106m tall) are the most repsentative, but the spire on Rouen was added in the 19th century. Chartres also have big spires but is a different style.

The German style was first inspired by the French style but develloped a different style mixing the two (two towers in front of the cathedral with huge spires, see Cologne). But this is then more gothic revival than gothic. Of the three big styles, it's the tallest one (outside, not inside) but also the youngest (there are often several centuries between French and English cathedrals and the German ones). Look for Cologne and Mageburger Dom for examples.

Then, other countries have other styles, but the big 3 are France (northern mainly, but southern has some good examples too), UK (mainly England) and Germany.
Vae victis!
Tobodai View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote Tobodai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 19:45
I always thaought mosques looked cooler on the outside and churches cooler ont he inside, because i like paintings more than cligraphy
"the people are nothing but a great beast...
I have learned to hold popular opinion of no value."
-Alexander Hamilton
Exarchus View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Exarchus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 19:50
Some French gothic samples:

Beauvais: this one isn't finished.

Narbonne, also unfinished

Rouen, 153m tall

Amiens, this one is really stunning

Bourges, same style.

Reims:

And of course Chartres.

There are many other examples of French gothic: Laon, Montpellier, Tours, Angers, Bordeaux, Orleans, Paris (Notre Dame and the Saint Chapelle), Saint Nizier (Lyon), Saint Denis, Metz, Saint Remi (Reims), Strasbourg ect........ the list would be just too long.
Vae victis!
chaeohk View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote chaeohk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26-Feb-2005 at 21:38
buddist temples all the way........

anyway i have a question.... are all mosques domish on the outside, it is... is there a reason why?
Thracian View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Thracian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 01:57

it is funny how Orthodox churches and monasteries can differ greatly from Catholic ones even though it is the same religion.    Here are some Bulgarian ones

Alexander Nevski Patriarchal Cathedral

Edited by Thracian
Capt. Lubber View Drop Down
Shogun
Shogun

Quote Capt. Lubber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 02:24
I must say i prefer most churches and cathedrals to mosques. The mosques would improve vastly if they cut out a bit of the colour and carving. It's just a bit too much I feel. Some of the cathedrals above also are a bit on the heavy side as for carvings, atleast in the front.

I say bring back stave churches and the old byzantine/turkish churches/mosques.

Is there some sort of stereotype mosque BTW? Lots of churches have the same cross-shaped look, and there are some different styles in cathedrals aswell. But it seems to me that mosques vary from region to region
Loke, Attila, the grete conqueror,
Deyde in his sleep, with shame and dishonour,
Bleedinge ay at the nose in dronkenesse,
A captayin shoulde live in sobrenesse
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 02:37
We cannot compare in Spokane but we have two interesting churches- Holy Trinity Greek Orthodox and St.John Episcopal
]
http://www.holytrinityspokane.org/photos/tn_dome1a.jpg

St Johns

azimuth View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
SlaYer'S SlaYer

Quote azimuth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27-Feb-2005 at 03:44

this is the Prophet mosque in medina

it is the secound largest mosque in the world

this is the Ummayad Mosque in syria

one of the few remainings of the Ummayad Caliphat

Edited by azimuth
eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 19:14
I am not Mormon but they are part of American culture. In fact, it is a home spun religion based on Christianity. The main stream churches like the Protestants, Orthodox or Catholics look at them as a cult. On the most part they are good moral people. Only Mormons of good standing are allowed in the temple. No offense to any Mormons on this site meant,

Mormon Temple looms over what was Main Street in Salt Lake City, Utah, as construction continues on underground parking garage yesterday. Garage will be topped with pedestrian mall, which Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints promises to keep open 24 hours a day.

Miller View Drop Down
Baron
Baron

Quote Miller Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28-Feb-2005 at 21:07
many mosques, chrches, and temples have been converted from one type to another some timees more than once so there must not be much of a difference

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 08:25

I think Churches and Mosques are both beautiful in their own ways,

but i dislike Gothic style altogether, it looks so evil and ugly that its hard to believe it would be have connection to God, it looks like the Devils architecture! what is the western obsession with gothic stuff?

but at the same time i think orthodox christian churches are amazing, as are some synagogues and mosques.

btw Cyrus what is the that Mosque (the first one posted at the top of the page) ?

Edited by wiseking
Cyrus Shahmiri View Drop Down
Administrator
Administrator
King of Kings

Quote Cyrus Shahmiri Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 09:59

btw Cyrus what is the that Mosque (the first one posted at the top of the page) ?

I don't know about the first one but the other ones are Vank Cathedral, Friday Mosque (Mihrab of Oljeitu) and Church of Beit-ul Lahm in Isfahan.

eaglecap View Drop Down
Tsar
Tsar
Retired AE Moderator

Quote eaglecap Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 17:21
Then there is this modern work by the New Age Rev Schuler in California!! The Crystal Cathedral!!!!

Laelius View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Laelius Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 18:38

haha they ripped on that in the Simpsons, when Homer was hanging naked from the balloon.

anyways here's the Basilica of St. Josephat in Milwaukee Wisconsin

Holy Hill, kettle Morraine area of Wisconsin

Edited by Laelius
Quetzalcoatl View Drop Down
General
General

Suspended

Quote Quetzalcoatl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01-Mar-2005 at 19:09

simply inhuman. this is incredible, the complexity of geometry is astonishing. I wonder ifit  is possible to apply such a design with glasses and steel yet at a modest price. modern architecture is not very complaex in shape but advance in term of technology and engineering. Now this in glass and steel and other modern material will be so unbelievable.

ramin View Drop Down
General
General

Quote ramin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 01:58
i would vote for Churches  especially the one in Milan. here's my favorite:

"I won't laugh if a philosophy halves the moon"
Teup View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote Teup Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Mar-2005 at 14:29
The most striking thing about churches I think, is that their core design was never meant for religious purposes, but for trade or at least jurisdiction. I don't know alot about mosques, but I expect they were designed for it's religious purpose right from the start.
Whatever you do, don't
Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 06:35

The Umayyad Mosque - Damascus

Guests View Drop Down
  Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09-Sep-2005 at 06:56

Al-sayeeda Zainab , Syria

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 6>