Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Iron defficiency anemia

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Online Status: Offline
  Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Iron defficiency anemia
    Posted: 22-Oct-2007 at 23:49
Hello guys,

I have iron defficiency anemia. My mother took me when I was young to the doctor to try and explain why my face was yellow, instead of red, and why my hands are always cold. The doctor explained to her I had anemia which is commonly found amongst people from the Middle east, which I am, I'm from Egypt. Anyways, I want to understand why is it that we have this disorder? I know it has something to do with the red blood cells but what caused us to have this defect in our bodies?
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 00:45
I think you should read yourself what science says about the constitution of the human body: cells, tissues etc.

I'm saying this not because I'm crediting science, on the contrary, I don't believe that the human being is made of chemical equations.

When I was child I was a little anemical too.

Now I'm perfectly healthy and having an almost permanent well feeling and energy.

Is everything about what you believe, how you live and what you eat.

Meat, eggs, milk, sugar, oil, conserves, chemicals are bad for organism, you cann't feel good eating such things and if you became vegetarian or vegan it takes 1-2 years for cleaning your body of the toxines but the effects appears in few months, you feel well and happy.

andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 11:25

Hey Menomorut,

I do not eat much meat or dairy maybe twice a week. My doctor told me it's BECAUSE my ancestors did not consume these products that my iron is low it is something biological. I'd try to be vegan but that's not the problem seeing as how I am more then half the time lol. I have to take tablets to increase my iron in take and eat things such as spinach my doctor told me. It's like cancer, if you have a history of it you may be able to control it but it'll always be with you.

Edited by andrew - 23-Oct-2007 at 11:26
Menumorut View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote Menumorut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 13:05
Don't try to become vegan, just constientize that the meat, egg etc aren't tasty, they just seem, because we have been used since children to eat them and the organism is used with them.

And I repeat: is about what you believe. If you believe what the doctor says, you cann't feel better. Your body is what you feel about it, not what the doctor or the books are saying to you.

But is very good to read books of medicine, anatomy, biology etc. because you'll have a deeper conscience about your body and in this way you'll understand better how to control and manage it.

Knowledge makes you free.

Edited by Menumorut - 23-Oct-2007 at 13:14

Chilbudios View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke

Quote Chilbudios Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 13:59

just constientize that the meat, egg etc aren't tasty, they just seem
LOL

All bow to the Soy god!
Aelfgifu View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph

Quote Aelfgifu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 15:51
When you are anemic, not taking milk, meat and eggs is not very good advice. I am sure your doctor can tell you how to keep your diet healthy, take his advice rather than a stranger on the internet with a personal agenda.

Women hold their councils of war in kitchens: the knives are there, and the cups of coffee, and the towels to dry the tears.
Patch View Drop Down
Samurai
Samurai

Quote Patch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 18:35
Eat green vegitables, e.g. cabbage, broccoli etc.
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23-Oct-2007 at 21:09
Originally posted by Aelfgifu

When you are anemic, not taking milk, meat and eggs is not very good advice. I am sure your doctor can tell you how to keep your diet healthy, take his advice rather than a stranger on the internet with a personal agenda.

Indeed. It is because my ancestors did not consume enought of the things above mentioned that I suffer from anemia.

Although as the gentleman above me mentioned the green vegetable are usually the best in protein such as brocoli, spinach, etc.

Edited by andrew - 23-Oct-2007 at 21:09
Omar al Hashim View Drop Down
King
King

Suspended

Quote Omar al Hashim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 01:50
IIRC brocoli and spinach are vegitables high in Iron. My meterials lecturer once said if you have an iron deficency, just push a nail into an apple and leave it for a couple of days. Then eat the apple.
One of my friends then said "Do you take the nail out first?"

But seriously, see a dietian or a naturopath.
mamikon View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan

Quote mamikon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24-Oct-2007 at 17:24
are you on Iron supplements?

http://www.healthcastle.com/iron.shtml

this might help...you need to eat Iron rich food...hence meat
elenos View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain

Quote elenos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15-Nov-2007 at 12:24
A hint from someone with the same condition. You must take vitamin B12 plus folic acid everyday for the rest of your life. (Most chemist have it, usually for pregnant women). If the condition deteriorates you will collapse and all your blood will have to be replaced.  Better than dying!
elenos
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 20:32
Are you originally Palestinian? consanguinity plays an important role in increasing Iron defficiency anemia.
My mother has that kind of anemia and the advice is to consume more red meat, not the opposite. In fact, liver is a great prescription. Ask your doctor for details. While Spinach can give you 1.7 mg of iron, beef steak can offer 2.7 mg of iron. Liver can give you up to 10 mg of iron! definitely a winner.
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16-Nov-2007 at 21:08
Originally posted by ok ge

Are you originally Palestinian? consanguinity plays an important role in increasing Iron defficiency anemia.
My mother has that kind of anemia and the advice is to consume more red meat, not the opposite. In fact, liver is a great prescription. Ask your doctor for details. While Spinach can give you 1.7 mg of iron, beef steak can offer 2.7 mg of iron. Liver can give you up to 10 mg of iron! definitely a winner.

Close, I'm Egyptian. This disease is common in Middle Eastern people. It is because the people of the Middle East did not consume meats and dairy to a great extent that it is heriditary that we do not have enough iron and this becomes a problem when you come to colder Western climates.

I eat cereal with milk everyday but I don't consume dairy and meat all that much. Although I don't like liver!TongueSmile
ok ge View Drop Down
Arch Duke
Arch Duke
Retired AE Moderator

Quote ok ge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17-Nov-2007 at 20:17
Originally posted by andrew

Close, I'm Egyptian. This disease is common in Middle Eastern people. It is because the people of the Middle East did not consume meats and dairy to a great extent that it is heriditary that we do not have enough iron and this becomes a problem when you come to colder Western climates.

Well, it depends. That theory might not apply on middle eastern who are of bedouin origin where their diet is mainly milk and meat.
Just out of curioucity, is your mother and father blood related? even from the same town?
D.J. Kaufman
Wisdom is the reward for a lifetime of listening ... when youd have preferred to talk.
Afghanan View Drop Down
Chieftain
Chieftain
Durr e Durran

Quote Afghanan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Dec-2007 at 17:20
Originally posted by andrew

Hello guys,

I have iron defficiency anemia. My mother took me when I was young to the doctor to try and explain why my face was yellow, instead of red, and why my hands are always cold. The doctor explained to her I had anemia which is commonly found amongst people from the Middle east, which I am, I'm from Egypt. Anyways, I want to understand why is it that we have this disorder? I know it has something to do with the red blood cells but what caused us to have this defect in our bodies?

Anemia is just the symptom.  The actual disease is called Thalassemia.  This is very common in the Middle East, Mediterranean and South Asia.  Three of my relatives have this recessive condition, all of them female.

You most likely have the non-threatening form (Thalassemia minor).  Some believe this is a genetic mutation that was promoted in the defense of malaria in a similar way as Sickle Cell Disease.

More info found here:

Edited by Afghanan - 03-Dec-2007 at 17:26
The perceptive man is he who knows about himself, for in self-knowledge and insight lays knowledge of the holiest.
~ Khushal Khan Khattak
 Post Reply Post Reply