Notice: This is the official website of the All Empires History Community (Reg. 10 Feb 2002)

FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Register Register  Login Login

Strongest world power now adays.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Poll Question: What today do you think the strongest world power now?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
36 [60.00%]
7 [11.67%]
1 [1.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
7 [11.67%]
1 [1.67%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [1.67%]
2 [3.33%]
4 [6.67%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
longshanks31 View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Online Status: Offline
  Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Strongest world power now adays.
    Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 18:21
Its an interesting point actually, what countries in the world today surpass britains record of being uninvaded im sure there has to be one.
Deano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 18:43
Canada has never been invaded.
I AM FARTAKUS!
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02-Nov-2007 at 19:14
Originally posted by longshanks31

illirac besides we are all european now most countrys in europe are eu or trying to be, a united states of europe superstate seems to be the future plan, every treaty takes us a step closer to it.
be that a good thing or a bad thing time will tell.
All i can suggest by of opinion on it is that the eu as a superstate will be the world power.
whether that translates to greater happyness for the people is yet to be seen.
I do not find war appealing in any event, if the soldier was an extinct proffesion lets face it this world would be a happier place.
If the politicians want a war they should go themselves and risk there own necks.
Still while there are young men still stupid enough to risk there lives for these buffoons (and i include the current british government) war and misery will continue.

eu will not endure...and people have to few benefit from it...it's only an union of politicians
For too long I've been parched of thirst and unable to quench it.
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 08:04
canada is not 1000 years old, but the land it occupies was invaded, namely by us/you
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 08:08
i hope you are right illirac, but fear you maybe wrong, the eu takes much more from britain than it gives, if i had my way we would part company asap, but alas i fear its now too late for that.
Panther View Drop Down
General
General

Quote Panther Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 22:52

I do not find war appealing in any event, if the soldier was an extinct proffesion lets face it this world would be a happier place.
If the politicians want a war they should go themselves and risk there own necks.
Still while there are young men still stupid enough to risk there lives for these buffoons (and i include the current british government) war and misery will continue.

In defense of the soldierly profession:

I was going too reply to this post yesterday, but thought i should sit on it and think about it a little more so i wouldn't come across as sounding very rude or intellectually superior, which i certainly don't think i am! Anyways.... I don't mean to be so off topic, so here it goes:

While i agree war is absolutely unappealing, a soldiers profession will always be a very necessary good in our modern world. What i mean is, we very well can't get rid of our emotions, and if we did... then we all would sound like a bunch of idiotic robots. Currently, i don't think that is what God or nature had intended? 

Try and "evolve" into only a peacefully reasoning race? That sounds a little nice to a certain extent, but i believe is unrealistic considering human nature! I believe it will only leave the door open for the other half that feels they are either being pandered too or if there is sense of weakness, will cause them too go in for an easy kill. I mean how long will a strictly pacifist people last, unless their is someone there too defend them? Unfortunately for those of reason, that is why we need soldiers.

Besides that, how many here found the "Spock" character from the popluar 60's tv show "Star trek" too unbelievably annoying to actually stomach? Then again... maybe i am the only unreasonably animalistic one on this earth who wanted too wring that particular character's neck? No offence too Mr. Nimoy himself intended, but "Scotty" was my favorite character on the show.

Of course, i could be wrong about all of this and the human race does evolve into a bunch of emotionless robots who couldn't reason themseleves out of a box?Hard%20Working

Politicans, OTOH... are the necessary evil! Tolerable when they stay in line,  and need too be thoroughly spanked when they get out of line!

Edited by Panther - 03-Nov-2007 at 22:54
Mughal e Azam View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Mughal e Azam Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03-Nov-2007 at 23:46
Ottoman Empire - Turkey
Mughal e Azam
SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 05:19
Nepal has not been defeated ever.
God is not great.
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 14:44
are we talking abaut who was invaded or the strongest world power?, USA has no rivals...they are one of the best(or the best) in: economy, militry, politics, tehnology and so on...other nations like Russia can compare in land and air force(and nukes) but not surly in navy and economy...the Chinese and Japan can compere in economy, but I think in nothing more...Britan in almost everything, but they are not even close to the economy(yes it's powerfull but still they can not compere)...Israel in militry( I think they have the best experience now)...Korea and France in nothing(except nukes)...
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04-Nov-2007 at 17:58
Originally posted by Panther

In defense of the soldierly profession:

I was going too reply to this post yesterday, but thought i should sit on it and think about it a little more so i wouldn't come across as sounding very rude or intellectually superior, which i certainly don't think i am! Anyways.... I don't mean to be so off topic, so here it goes:

While i agree war is absolutely unappealing, a soldiers profession will always be a very necessary good in our modern world. What i mean is, we very well can't get rid of our emotions, and if we did... then we all would sound like a bunch of idiotic robots. Currently, i don't think that is what God or nature had intended? 

Try and "evolve" into only a peacefully reasoning race? That sounds a little nice to a certain extent, but i believe is unrealistic considering human nature! I believe it will only leave the door open for the other half that feels they are either being pandered too or if there is sense of weakness, will cause them too go in for an easy kill. I mean how long will a strictly pacifist people last, unless their is someone there too defend them? Unfortunately for those of reason, that is why we need soldiers.

Besides that, how many here found the "Spock" character from the popluar 60's tv show "Star trek" too unbelievably annoying to actually stomach? Then again... maybe i am the only unreasonably animalistic one on this earth who wanted too wring that particular character's neck? No offence too Mr. Nimoy himself intended, but "Scotty" was my favorite character on the show.

Of course, i could be wrong about all of this and the human race does evolve into a bunch of emotionless robots who couldn't reason themseleves out of a box?Hard%20Working

Politicans, OTOH... are the necessary evil! Tolerable when they stay in line,  and need too be thoroughly spanked when they get out of line!

panther all you said above is true, if i disrespect anything in what i said i include myself, i was in the british army for ten years, i was one of the people as a young man daft enough.
I served in iraq (first time around, ive been out of the army for eight years now) so im also guilty of going to war for the politicians.
When i think of what risk both myself, my comrades our allies soldiers and
the iraqis risked for the sake of a quarrell between, useless politicians im left speechless (well not quite lol) as to how stupid we were.
Wrong place wrong time and i wouldnt be here now, and for what exactly. 
Knights View Drop Down
Caliph
Caliph
suspended

Quote Knights Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 09:03
Originally posted by Mughaal

Ottoman Empire - Turkey

I wasn't aware the Ottoman Empire was a candidate for "Strongest world power nowadays" Shocked. Also, SuN., what do you mean by "Nepal has never been defeated"? In battle, invaded, conquered?
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 09:58
knights i was refering to being conquered, you seem to know your onions, who in todays world has spent longer unconquered than britain, he maybe right about nepal ive not checked it out yet, i think tailand may qualify too but not certain.
long live the king of bhutan
Colonel
Colonel

Quote longshanks31 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 10:00
in specific england 1066 last time.  and soz spelt thailand wrong
long live the king of bhutan
Sun Tzu View Drop Down
Consul
Consul

Quote Sun Tzu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 12:50
Right now, I would have to say the U.S., but at the rate of China's growth, prolly by 2020 China might be top dog, another potential country is Canada, the problem for them is that there are more cows up there than people.
Sun Tzu

All warfare is based on deception - Sun Tzu
Illirac View Drop Down
Colonel
Colonel

Quote Illirac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 14:30

in specific england 1066 last time.  and soz spelt thailand wrong

last time was in 1314 by Robert the Bruce...
SuN. View Drop Down
Pretorian
Pretorian

Quote SuN. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05-Nov-2007 at 15:41
Originally posted by Knights

Shocked. Also, SuN., what do you mean by "Nepal has never been defeated"? In battle, invaded, conquered?

It means that it has never been defeated. So it cannot be conquered.
Deano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 23:29
Nigeria wasnt ever conquered.It held of the french and brits.
I AM FARTAKUS!
andrew View Drop Down
Earl
Earl

Quote andrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07-Nov-2007 at 23:50
Originally posted by Deano

Nigeria wasnt ever conquered.It held of the french and brits.

The only country to be able to hold off foreign invasion in Africa were the Ethiopians under King Menelik. Egypt held off on foregin domination for a long time but eventually succombed to British control considering the civil strife and internal bleeding.

In fact there is something called Nigerian Independence Day my co-worker told me about it and then handed me a little Nigerian flag which I thought was nice of him.Smile
edgewaters View Drop Down
Sultan
Sultan
Snake in the Grass-Banned

Quote edgewaters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 14:20
Originally posted by Sun Tzu

Right now, I would have to say the U.S., but at the rate of China's growth, prolly by 2020 China might be top dog, another potential country is Canada, the problem for them is that there are more cows up there than people.

With or without the population, Canada is a middle power, and always will be. Our history simply doesn't lead us in the direction of dominion over other nations, even if it were possible.

China may be ascending in a sense, but not really. What is actually happening is that the US is losing its relative status, so it appears that Russia, China, the EU and up-and-comers like Brazil are waxing, but in reality that's all just a matter of perspective. I think the future is one that will lack a clear superpower, and we'll be back to something like the 17th century - when the Dutch, the English, the French, the Spanish, the Portuguese, the Swedish, and many others were all able to compete on an equal footing.

In that mix I see as the great powers: the EU, the USA (they'll only fall so far), China, Russia, and possibly Brazil. The top middle powers: Canada, Japan, S. Korea, India, Australia, and possibly Iran.

Edited by edgewaters - 08-Nov-2007 at 14:26
Deano View Drop Down
Knight
Knight

Quote Deano Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08-Nov-2007 at 22:31
U.s has a very wavering aconemy at the moment due to no one buying in the hosing market,all these horible made chinese toys being re called and that loses compines money.Als many other factors.America may oops IS going down hill fast.
I AM FARTAKUS!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>